Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.
So because I mentioned I liked Steve Martin's banjo playing my in-laws ended up giving me a banjo they've had forever and don't use. Is there a "Here is how to do the very basic things on a banjo" that is recommended? I can poke around on youtube, but I have no clue how to tell good vs bad instruction and don't want to shell out for lessons without having any idea if I'd even enjoy actually playing. I have played other instruments in my past (Woodwind and brass), and only really screw around with digital music now, so I can read music I've just never played strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

OSU_Matthew posted:

I literally just bought a banjo last week, so take this with a heavy grain of salt, but I've been thoroughly enjoying Jim Pankey's lessons on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XswGppdJs_c

Coming from a guitar background, it seems to be excellent instruction of breaking stuff down and emphasizing slow practice and building up from there.

I also bought Banjo for the Ignoramus on Amazon, because I liked the sample tabs and that it's spiral bound:

https://www.amazon.com/Bluegrass-Banjo-Complete-Ignoramus-Book/dp/1883206448

I don't know if that's any good, but it's got decent reviews so I guess we'll see.

Here's a picture of my shiny new banjo!

Thanks! I'll work through those and see where I end up. Also that looks like a sweet setup.

• Locked thread