Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

So my wife has recently started getting into Bluegrass, and we happened to see a local ad for a very cheap entry level violin and so she thought hey why not, could be fun to try to learn the fiddle, and also hey, super cheap like I said so no biggie if it ends up in a dusty corner unplayed.

I already play the guitar (Intermediately) and figured it could be fun to try to learn some bluegrass together. I don't want to go out and buy a Banjo yet as we don't know how much she'll enjoy trying to learn etc and whether she'll find it fun and go on to get lessons or find its just not for her.

In the meantime, are there any good examples of guitar and fiddle bluegrass to give us a idea of what kind of thing we could try to learn together? We're in this purely for fun and our own amusement, but any ideas of the type of thing we could try to learn to play together would be appreciated, even if its more irish/celtic with a slightly bluegrass feel would be fine.

Should I find a cheap 5 string Banjo, having already played the guitar, would I find the transition to a Banjo smooth or are they so different that I am better off trying to approach it as if I have never played a single note in my life? My chicken picking on guitar is pretty bad :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Dekks
Jan 24, 2005

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

• Locked thread