Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

Augh, so, I've found both banjos and fiddles around here in my price range, and lessons for either. Which should I go with? I've been listening to a lot of Sam Amidon, so I am inclined toward banjo at this particular moment, but the fiddle seems more versatile and perhaps more interesting. I've also heard that banjo can be a son-of-a-bitch to learn for people who are used to playing guitar, which I am. Help!

I don't know who told you that, but all of my guitar-playing friends have been able to pick up banjo after a quick "here's the chord shapes" crash course at parties with no problem. One dude was throwing down John Butler's "Water" after ten minutes, which made me seriously question why I even try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fawker posted:

Hi, asian living in Canada, getting ready to buy my first Banjo. Looking at picking up the Deering Goodtime but noticed that it has no back to it (no resonator). Is there a difference other than price in a backless vs banjo with a back?

Resonators are much louder, but also heavy. Open back banjos are generally used for old timey clawhammer mountain music and back up a fiddle, while the resonators are played by fingerpicking bluegrass types. Either is fine for you to start out and the Goodtime models are awesome for the price.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 15, 2011

• Locked thread