Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I've always wanted to leanr to play the fiddle, and have been seriously contemplating picking one up. I know nothing about fiddles though, so whats a decent beginner fiddle?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Just to get an answer, are there any student brands that I should absolutely steer clear of?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

Pufflekins, I know nothing about fiddles. The local shop rents "Gliga Gems 1", a $450 Romanian fiddle, so that might be a place to start looking.

Alright, thanks for the tip.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Mediocre posted:

Honestly just ask in a local shop, I'm a recent fiddle beginner and couldn't find much in the way of consistent brand recommendation. To be honest, think about renting first too. Fiddles do not scale down into bargain beginner models very well at all, and can sound pretty dreadful. Renting a decent one might be an affordable alternative worth considering.

Ya, I think that's the route I'm going to go. I don't want to spend the money if I don't like it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I went to a local shop yesterday and asked if they taught banjo or fiddle. Their response was no, but their guitar teacher taught very basic mandolin. And that mandolin was essentially the same instrument as the fiddle(said that it has same tuning as mandolin, basically if you turned it sideways, same instrument) and banjo(said that most people tuned 4-string banjos the same as a mandolin). They said the mandolin was essentially the 'weed' of the banjo/fiddle/mandolin world. Personally I am sceptical, I would appreciate feedback.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Thats what I figured, definitely avoiding that shop now. Thanks guys.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I know I've posted both about banjo and fiddle in here, however, I can't decide which I want to play. I have enough money for both, and love the sound of both instruments. However, I can't decide which instrument I want to play. Any help would be appreciated. I have a pretty decent understanding of a 5-string bass. I understand that with my experience with bass guitar, I might be able to play the banjo. I appreciate the sound of the banjo and fiddle equally. I know the fiddle will take a lot more training to be able to master. But I enjoy the tin-ny sound of the banjo. I'm in a weird position with bluegrass music, however, I love it all.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Are real basic/cheap Washburns worth it? I know Washburn makes good high end guitars, but I don't know how their low end stuff is. I'm looking at an open-back 5-string.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Loaf32 posted:

The ones I've played have sounded pretty bad, honestly. To be fair, this is only shop experience, and not extended plays.

Bad in what sense? This would be a learning banjo for me.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

sailorjosh posted:

They're fine as starter banjos. It does not matter at all which cheap banjo you buy as your first, because they all come out of the same factory. Washburns, Morgan Monroes, Fenders, Epiphones, Mastercraft, Ozark, Rally, Oscar Schmidt...are all made by Daewon musical instruments co. As long as it is set up well it doesn't matter much.

Define set up well, please.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Banjo is definitely a lot harder than it looks. I can't seem to get used to the finger picks at all.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Mediocre posted:

Make sure you have them on the right way around because I've....err....heard, that some people start by wearing them as little metal fingernails for an embarassingly long period of time before they realise that makes no sense whatsoever. :sweatdrop:

edit: and even try them on in the shop like that in front of an employee who doesn't say anything. Oh god.

In all fairness he might not have known. I remember someone trying on finger picks like that when I did my co-op at a music shop and they did that. I never knew to tell him at the same time.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I just restrung my banjo and my fifth string seems a lot closer to the fretboard than it should be. Is that normal?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PoorPeteBest posted:

A few possibilities here:

You could have missed the 5th string nut.

Your bridge could be reversed, and the string slot is deeper on the reversed side.

The banjo head loosened when the strings were removed. Lower head tension will lower the bridge.

I'd start by checking the head tension. Push down on the top all around the circumference and see if there is more give in some places. Also check for loose tensioning hardware.

I made sure not to gently caress with the bridge by switching one string at a time. The head tension is fine as well. I'm assuming the fifth string nut is the little circle near the tuner? If it is I didn't miss it.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Mediocre posted:

How close to the fretboard are we talking? My 5th string is always closer than the others and I've never found it to be a problem. Is it causing any fret buzz or making it difficult to play in any way?

Everything seems normal when playing it, so I probably just forgot how close it was before I restrung it. Thanks.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

PoorPeteBest posted:

Did your string gauge change?

I put slightly thicker gauge strings. Nothing really noticeable though.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Mediocre posted:

Also just check with a tuner/by ear that the intonation is still alright on every fret. If so then it's probably nothing to worry about.

Just did it and everything worked out fine. Thanks a lot guys.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Any good resources for self-teaching?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

Which instrument / style? Bluegrass banjo?
Sorry it took me a while to respond, just moved and had no Internet. And yes, I'm talkin about bluegrass banjo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Planet X posted:

I have some questions for you:

Are you completely new to music? To stringed instruments?

Do you already listen to a lot of bluegrass? Do you have any favorite banjo players? What are some of your favorite banjo-centric songs? (Foggy Mountain Breakdown, Clinch Mtn Backstep, etc) I ask because it helps to have the sound in your head, so to speak. Different players have different styles. Do you like the melodic style of Bill Keith, or the more straight ahead style of Earl? Like Ralph? He's heavy on forward rolls, while someone like Don Reno does more single string runs.

There are a lot of resources available to you. I would say:

- Find a local teacher, take a lesson. That goes against your question to an extent, but an intro / basics lesson will be helpful. This doesn't mean you have to commit to lessons, but it will put you down the right path (lead with the thumb, fret directly behind the frets, etc)
- Probably get the Earl Scruggs book: http://www.amazon.com/Earl-Scruggs-5-String-Banjo-Enhanced/dp/0634060430
- Check out the tab on the Banjo hangout site for songs you want to learn, you can sort by beginner. Once you do this, check back in and I'll give you some tab reading advice

Be patient. Speed will come. Feel free to ask questions here

I'm not new to stringed instruments, however it's been years since I've played last.

I don't really listen to any banjo centric music. I just bought it because I love the sound of the banjo.

I guess I'm going to have to take lessons because I picked up Earl Scruggs book and just don't know where to start.

• Locked thread