Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Yes, the technique is called drop thumb. Mike Iverson has an excellent exercise for it on his banjo site: http://www.bluesageband.com/Tab%20pdf%20files/Instruction/Drop%20Thumbing.pdf

Basically it gives your playing a rolling kind of sound. Once you can cleanly play the introductory exercise in that lesson you should be ready to learn the rest. Check out his version of Sourwood Mountain for a good example of a tune that uses the technique.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

mesc posted:

Anyhow, now I need to look into capos. I'm leery of adding spikes to it, but I was wondering if anyone had advice on which capo / 5th string to pick up - I checked out BHO and found a bunch of conflicting info.

Spikes are definitely the way to go and incredibly simple to install. If you really don't want to I've found this little guy to be pretty decent:

http://elderly.com/accessories/items/RBC55.htm

It pops right on the string and doesn't seem to take it out of tune when changing keys. No where near as invasive as the metal strip option.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

The Goodtimes are great instruments.

Not sure if you're just using that link as example, but I'd get it from Elderly:

http://elderly.com/search/elderly?terms=deering+goodtime&x=0&y=0

Or Zepp Music:

http://zeppmusic.com/deering.htm

Either of these stores will set up your instrument prior to shipping and they're great to deal with. If you're willing to spend the extra money, and are getting an open-back for old-time, I'd particularly recommend the Zeppified Goodtime. The setup on these makes the instrument competitive with instruments well over the $1000 range.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Smeed posted:

I'm a little bummed. The banjo I got from my uncle is a 4 string. I was under the impression 4 and 5 string banjos are two different beasts and what I want to play is really only possible on a 5 string. I was looking at the deering goodtimes, but dropping $500 on an instrument I've never touched in my life is daunting to a poor college kid. What does a decent starter one go for second hand?

There's nothing wrong with a 4 string. You can play Irish music, jazz and ragtime, and even fingerpicking style bluegrass on them. There's a fellow on youtube with a bunch of videos and a decent website dedicated to bluegrass style tenor (search Mirek Patek.)

Barring that, just keep your eye on Craigslist. I got a decent Vega archtop for $50 a few months ago that only needed a new 5th string tuner. These things come up cheap all the time.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I have the same problem hitting the 5th string when playing round peak and have considered taking the dremel to my banjo as well. The way I understand it, you only have to be concerned about affecting the way tension is distributed through the neck. You're decreasing the mass and changing the rigidity by removing frets. You will likely need to adjust the neck angle once you've completed the scoop but the neck should not experience any undue stress. I only wish I had a crappy banjo to practice on before I attempt it on my nice one.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Walked posted:

(is there a particular skill level I can identify "hey im ready to hit up a jam!? I suck still, but still want to play with others / improve)

Honestly, the earlier the better. Once I started going to regular jams my skill seemed to improve monumentally.

If you can keep up with the chord changes playing backup I'd say go for it. The trick is to play quietly until you get the song. Most folks are very encouraging as long as you don't get in the way.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Yeah, not sure what type of tuners you have but generally there is a screw on the end of the button that can be tightened. Don't go too tight or you'll put a lot of stress on the gears, you want just enough pressure to set the gears when they turn.

As far as tuning goes all I can say is get used to it. Banjo's are the most fickle instruments on the planet and seem to go out of tune if you glance at them the wrong way.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

This may or may not be the right thread but does anybody have any recommendations for microphones?

My band has been doing the common bluegrass single mic setup through an MXL990. Sadly, the mic got knocked over during soundcheck the other day and long story short we need a replacement. I've been looking at the AT2035 or 3035 because I'm scared of getting a 4050 and having the same thing happen. Any suggestions?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

That Cascade mic sounds incredible, I wonder how much of that is the room/pre-amplification. It sure would suck to have an accident though.

I keep hearing good things about the AT2020, but would there be any distinct benefit in upgrading to the AT2035? I know it has low-cut and pad buttons but the construction seems otherwise pretty similar to the 2020. Is there anything else in the $150 range that would be worth considering?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Miltank posted:

I am thinking of buying a seeger banjo, I already have a piece of crap epiphone that I bought last year and have been playing pretty regularly and really enjoying myself but I would love to have the same type of banjo as my main man Pete Seeger. Is there anything special that will have to do in order to play that type of banjo? Where is the best place to get a long banjo from?

Both Vega and Gibson made long-necks that were played by Mr. Seeger and these instruments can typically be found relatively cheap compared to their bluegrass cousins. Elderly and Gryphon Strings should have a decent online selection of vintage long-necks.

If you want a new instrument I think Deering/Vega produces them and Gold Tone has a model as well. As always, also take a look on the Banjohangout classifieds.

Playing is basically the same. The reason Pete Seeger played a long neck was so that he could get lower tones to match his voice. Instead of G major, the instrument is tuned to E major so all of your patterns transfer over in a different key. Put a capo on the third fret and you're back to G major.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Yeah, those guys are totally bullshitting you. I consider myself relatively competent on the banjo and the mandolin and wouldn't even consider attempting anything on the fiddle without some decent instruction.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Not sure if this is the best place to put this, but my pseudo-bluegrass band just released a demo on bandcamp:

http://uponthehill.bandcamp.com/

Give it a listen and let me know what you guys think.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Thanks! I'm vocal, guitar, and the occasional banjo.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Pufflekins posted:

I just restrung my banjo and my fifth string seems a lot closer to the fretboard than it should be. Is that normal?

A few possibilities here:

You could have missed the 5th string nut.

Your bridge could be reversed, and the string slot is deeper on the reversed side.

The banjo head loosened when the strings were removed. Lower head tension will lower the bridge.

I'd start by checking the head tension. Push down on the top all around the circumference and see if there is more give in some places. Also check for loose tensioning hardware.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Did your string gauge change?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I use a Schatten pickup on my banjo and it sounds great, very natural. You'll need to get yourself a pre-amp if you want volume though. I'm very happy with my sound through a Baggs Para DI.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I saw them at a festival two years ago and the power for the stage went out. They came down and finished their set acoustically like the champs they are.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Clawhammer players!

For whatever reason, the months of January and February were particularly brutal to my nails. My middle finger nail is especially brittle and keeps breaking and I've got a gig coming up and need an alternative. Do any of you use picks instead of your nail?

I've been looking at Alaska piks (cheap) and something called "the perfect touch" (expensive, out of stock, creepy name). Does anybody have experience with clawhammer-centric picking accessories?

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I may have found my solution though.

I ran across some plastic Dunlop fingerpicks at my local shop. I clipped off the curved, pointed end, filed them to the rough shape of my nail and put them on upside down. They contour perfectly over my missing nail and the downward pressure of my picking hand seems to be enough to hold them in place. It also looks like I've got a tortoise shell nail job.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Here's a pretty good list:

http://youtu.be/8cbMQNl_OgE

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I love the sound of fresh banjo strings. I usually don't like how my other instruments sound after a change but the banjo seems to shine right away.

Also, for those of you currently learning rolls, I stumbled across this awesome app for IOS devices:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/banjo-rolls-trainer/id588384861?mt=8

It has a built in metronome, tons of roll patterns with a variable tempo, and your own rhythm section. I'm primarily a clawhammer playing looking to get into Scruggs style and this has been very useful in speeding up my right hand.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Check out sawmill tuning. There's really nothing better than a clawhammer Shady Grove or Cluck Old Hen.

If you're looking for a good resource for practicing fiddle tunes you can't go wrong with Josh Turknett's Old-Time Machine:

http://www.oldtimejam.com/Jam.html

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Bluegrass fiddle evolved from old-time so I would expect the transition to be fairly intuitive. You would be using many of the same techniques you learn in old time fiddle tunes.

The main difference here is style. You tend to have more improvisation in bluegrass, a choppy rhythm, and a definitive blues influence in your playing. Check out these versions of Red Rocking Chair and see if you can hear the difference:

Kenny Baker (bluegrass)
http://youtu.be/eZtYbdF6UDU

Bruce Molsky (old-time)
http://youtu.be/PqGTs-ANyTI

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Thicker strings have higher tension and what is typically described as a thicker tone, whatever that is. It's really dependent on the instrument and your playing style though.

I prefer medium gauge on most of my banjos. I tend to play harder than necessary and light gauge strings feel rubbery under those conditions. The higher tension also makes my hammer-ons and pull offs feel more defined.

There are always exceptions to the rule though. I have a wood rim banjo with a slightly shorter scale neck that I use heavy gauge strings on and an old arch top with pretty high action that is strung up with light gauge strings. Basically it comes down to how it sounds and how it feels.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Most of these instruments are from the 60's folk boom, specifically related to the influence of Pete Seeger. You can find decent vintage longnecks made by Gibson and Vega from this era at reasonable prices. I am not aware of any modern producers but I'm sure most of the major manufacturers would put together something custom if you were willing to pay. Check out Elderly, Janet Davis and the like or peruse the listings on BanjoHangout.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

I've been learning clawhammer for a while and I'm starting to get into more advanced versions of basic fiddle songs. Nothing at speed or in time, really, but I can string together a few phrases here and there. I notice that my ring and little finger are extremely uncoordinated, though. Anyone recommend any exercises to improve lesser finger agility?

On your fretting hand? Most things technique related are often fixed by playing with a metronome. It will help with your timing and speed too. Just set it at a tempo that you can comfortably play with in time and go.

I'd recommend starting with a major scale until you get used to playing with the beat. Try and relax your hands as much as possible even if it means you are playing quietly. When playing at a given tempo becomes easy, increase the speed and start over again.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

You could get an acrylic done. It can be dual purposed as a nifty tool for cutting lines of cocaine.

I take plastic Dunlop finger picks and wear them upside down. I also cut the tip down to match the contour of my fingernail. They work really well but I still go back to my nail once it grows back in. The natural sensitivity seems to make a difference for me.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

It sounds like a hammer-on followed by an alternate string pull off (where the note is played by plucking with your fretting hand.) Roscoe Holcomb made frequent use of that technique, you might check him out. I'll try and tab out the "roll" for you when I get a chance to grab my banjer.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

It's possible to pick without a nail but I can't get very good volume out of it. Personally, I get the best tone with about an 1/8th inch grown out. Past that my accuracy diminishes and the nail is more prone to breaking. I prefer my natural nail because I can feel my way around as I play.

When my nail breaks I use a plastic finger pick as an alternative:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/shell-plastic-fingerpicks

I put these on upside down and trim off the tip using regular nail clippers. These give me a pretty reliable approximation of what I get out of my nail although none of the sensitivity.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got three of these in large. I like 'em I guess. They slide up on my finger a bit but they stay on. They produce a nice warm plunky sound which could be a good or bad thing for you. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for an alternative to using your nail or cutting up ping pong balls.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Rover RB20 to a RK-R35 or 36. After a ton of research it seems like it's one if the best banjos for the money. The demos on YouTube sound amazing and I love the look of them. Does anyone care to weigh in on maple vs mahogany for a banjo? I'm assuming the maple sounds brighter and has a harder attack and the mahogany has warmth and more mid range complexity. Would the maple provide for a harder more sturdy neck? One of my main problems with my Rover is how just holding the neck/letting it hang in different ways causes the tuning to go sharp or flat even though I have a light touch. It's frustrating. Any comments on the two Recording Kings I picked out would be appreciated too.

Those Recording Kings are nice but for the same price you can find a used Bart Reiter or Mark Ramsey open back. Not sure if you're planing on using it for three finger as well but both of those makers produce very fine clawhammer banjos.

Wood is only one of many components that affect the banjo tone. I've heard very bright and very muddy maple banjos. You have to factor in head tension/material, bridge material, tone ring, tail piece and so on. The only way to know for sure is to play it.

If the neck has a truss rod in it the material it is made from matters less and less although maple is traditionally considered to be more stable. You might have a loose coordinator rod on your Rover that is causing it to change pitch, even a non-reinforced neck should be able to withstand regular handling.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

First make sure it isn't just your fingers pulling the strings off pitch as you fret. Banjo strings have a lot more play in them and can be easily (and awesomely) bent with your fretting hand.

If the coordinator rod is loose you should be able to manually turn the hardware. If everything is tight a loose neck is likely not your problem. You can use a wrench to further adjust the hardware but be careful. These are meant to provide some neck stability and allow you to adjust the neck angle. Overdoing it will significantly change the action on your instrument. Here is an excellent tutorial on coordinator rods:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Banjo/CoordRods/coordrod4.html

Another thing to consider is the tightness of your banjo head. If the head flexes when you push on it, your bridge will move slightly up and down which will change the pitch.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 5, 2014

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Cold Frosty Morning comes to mind and is one of my favorites. A lot of stuff in sawmill timing fits that vibe (Shady Grove, etc)

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

codo27 posted:

Who can tell me things about Irish banjo? My guitar playing has been more and more focused on traditional, and I was about to buy one of those 6 string banjo-tuned-like-a-guitar things but my friend gave me his old 5 string that's been sitting around since he got his new nicer Fender a few years ago. I don't know how much variation there is, I've seen GDGBD for 5 string but I've read GDAE is the way to go for Irish stuff, what of the 5th string then? Dubliners style will be my main focus, but more Luke and less Barney, I'll be singing along.

Look up Enda Scahill. He is an awesome player and has great instructional material. Technique is a bit more like mando but if you are comfortable with a plectrum that is a good start. Luke Kelly played a lot of clawhammer I believe, so that would better suit a five string if that is your aim.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

F hole posted:

I would never mess around with that myself unless I had a beater banjo I could try it with first.

The price of getting spikes put in is anywhere between 15 to 40 dollars, which compared to the price of a decent banjo is nothing. IMO it's absolutely worth the cost of having a pro doing it, although those who have successfully done it themselves would surely disagree.

I found it very painless. Make a starter hole with a dremel and a very small drill bit and then gently pound the spike in to the appropriate height. No chipping or other damage.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I love Elderly, I've always had great service.

Just a heads up, you can use small automotive wrenches for tightening your banjo head. 1/4", 5/16", and 9/32" should cover just about everything and these are readily available at just about any hardware store

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I like http://www.oldtimejam.com although some of the tabs are only available if you buy into 'premium' or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

I play a resonator clawhammer style. Mostly because it projects better and blends tonally with the other musicians I play with. I have an open back that I prefer when I'm on the porch but I could get by with either.

There are also plenty of old-timers that used them. Check out Wade Ward for an example.

• Locked thread