Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey everyone,

Last night my wife expressed interest in possibly learning the mandolin, or at least trying the instrument and taking a lesson. We've both gotten a little more into bluegrass over the last year, and she has been suitably wowed by Chris Thile and Rhonda Vincent. I'd love to support her, but she has never played a musical instrument before, and I don't know if she will take to it or not. She definitely doesn't have the time to get super-serious about learning, but it might be a fun thing to mess around with around the house.

What do you all suggest? I haven't checked any local music stores yet, but there are several inexpensive mandolins on Amazon. I was hoping to spend under $200 for one, since she may not decide to stick with it at all. Do any of these look promising?
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_...=price-asc-rank

I don't know if she's even intrigued enough to go to a store with me and try several out, but I figured I could at least surprise her with this as a holiday gift and she how she likes it. For what it's worth, I noodled around with guitar as a kid but was never any good, although I played saxophone for many years in bands (just not in a long time). I've never even held a mandolin, so I don't know about tuning it, setting it up for her, or any of the most basic stuff.

EDIT: What about this beginner package that Sam Ash is selling?
http://www.samash.com/mandolins/washburn-m1k-mandolin-package-sunburst-wm1kxxxxx

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

Kentucky 150

Edit: a bit more of an explanation. The Kentucky 150 has a solid wood top, which for an entry level archtop, f-holed mandolin (for bluegrass) gives really great sound. If you buy from somewhere like Elderly (see https://www.elderly.com/elderly-instruments-mandolin-outfit.htm for a full beginner package--yes I know you said $200 but in mandolins you really get what you pay for, AND you can get just the instrument as well but this is a complete beginner package), it comes professionally set up, which these instruments really need. In fact, mandolins because they are double course and soprano voiced have incredibly high string tension that can put a beginner off, so even more than a guitar you really feel minor tweeks to set up so this step is crucial. The only upgrade something like that would "need" is a Cumberland Acoustics bridge, but that would be down the road if she decides to stick with it.

I started on one of these and it lasted me for years. Once it starts to sound funny then you are ready to upgrade but it will last for years and is a servicable musical instrument.

If you are strongly set on $200 then look for a used Mid Missouri or Big Muddy flat top. Again, all solid wood construction. The oval hole might put your wife off as its not like what Bill played, but for a beginner it sounds really good.

Edit edit to add: I would be happy to craft a long OP for a mandolin-specific thread if folks would like.

Thank you so much for all this useful information, but my wife already told me not to bother, that she wouldn't have the time or the inclination to learn or practice. But at least I got us tickets to see Rhonda Vincent live in February.

• Locked thread