Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Virgil Vox posted:

Someone made a phoshop of what I was thinking:

I'm making the italian spiderman shocked-guy face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

lol at tiesto shilling cheapo controllers now

*I mean no disrespect to the beginners/entry level gear, just laughing at the cash grab

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean, no lie, he’d probably churn out a way better set on that thing than I would on my 3000s, in the immediate future anyway, but it stiill feels a little disingenuous :raise:

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

Thats way better then what they actually came up with

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone with Beatport plus or whatever lets you preview full tracks tell me if I'm crazy or if beatport is loving up the preview for this track:

https://www.beatport.com/track/futurascent/18227455

When I press play on that the first time, I get a track that doesn't seem to do anything for the first 0:40 seconds and after that it kicks in.

When I press play AGAIN, without even reloading the page or whatever, I get a track that discernibly begins at 0:12.

Like it feels like they're loading two different tracks behind the scenes, and I bought this track based on the SECOND preview where it starts at 0:12, but the download is the weird meandering 0:40 start version.

I emailed their support but I want to see if I'm just high or something..

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i just tried and it has a 45 second intro for me

e: oh wait, yeah i pressed play again and it kicks in at 12 seconds now lol huh

site fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 27, 2023

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ok thank christ I thought I was tripping.

I bought it based on the one that isn't weird overlapping moonsounds for 45 seconds so I hope they make this right lol

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Can you just... edit it out?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

guppy posted:

Can you just... edit it out?

I think it's a fundamentally different version of the song. There's other tonal differences too, I'm just using the first 0:12 thing as an easy way to articulate the difference between both :)

My suspicion is that there's two mixes of this; the breaks mix and some regular mix, and their backend system is selling the wrong one. Or I mean vice versa. I just asked their support to please replace my download with whatever the 0:12 one is.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 27, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
This is as good a thread as any to ask, unless maybe there are Games threads that can shed some light on streaming?

So I want to make the livestream DJ set a semi-regular (or maybe even weekly although IDK if I have the stamina for that) thing; unless there's some glaring reason why Tuesday nights wouldn't work it's absolutely an opportune night for me and it doesn't seem like there's much going on in the local scene on those nights - Wednesdays there's a free weekly party that sometimes gets streamed, Thursdays are another local livestream (NXLVL Selections), Fridays are The Prophecy on CIUT and obviously Fri/Sat are the nights that most shows happen.

I'm really just thinking out loud here, but if anyone has insight into stream structure like that I'm all ears. My actual issues are more technical, which is why I said maybe there's another Streaming Thread somewhere that can elucidate? Anyway here goes:

The first issue is a simple one; delay between the audio and video streams. I'm going to play around with the Sync Offset settings in OBS another night and see how close I can get to a fix.

But the second issue is a bit more complex, and one I haven't seen solved in some lazy Googling. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 audio interface on my desktop, and all of the DJ setup audio is piped out the DJM's master into a pair of inputs there. The problem is - and I think I've run into this in different ways with other software like Zoom for example - OBS only wants to recognize the first input pair on the Scarlett. That's fine except they're on the front for convenience, and I (rarely) like to have them there for a microphone or to gently caress around with a DI from my bass. I'd rather not have to hot-swap the DJ mixer to the front every time, especially since what if I want to use those inputs too? It's a drat interface, I should be able to stream a whole band with it (although practically yes this would be mixed through a console anyway, I'm not stupid). Or, to use an example I hate, how do podcasters do it?

Anyway, ranting again, but is there yet a solution to this silly problem? I'm thinking of poking around in the Scarlett MixControl app but I'm pretty sure people have tried that. My only other idea is something like Soundflower to internally route audio and spoof OBS into thinking it's hearing the correct inputs. IDK if that's worked for anyone either, info is scarce - and wouldn't this also incur some sort of delay?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3987059/ There's this thread for YouTubing and streaming.

So I tried this at home to try to help and it looks like OBS isn't paying attention to anything the Focusrite software says on my Scarlett 4i4. I can mute all inputs and outputs on the Focusrite Control app and the only thing that changes from OBS's end is if the Loopback is unmuted it comes in too. poo poo sucks. Even if I remove the hardware input from Focusrite's mixer entirely it still plays in OBS.
OTOH controller DJ's stay winning. :cool: I just have to use Blackhole, it's NBD, I swear.
Probably yeah Soundflower or like any DAW plus a virtual audio port is the answer.

Also, I poked you on Facebook about some VJ stuff. You probably didn't see it because Facebook, but yeah if you're ever thinking any changes in the video package hit me up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Thanks for the prompt reply and checking the hardware! That was you? I totally gapped on the 'stairs' comment that I think you made. OK, I'll definitely reach out tomorrow at some point to talk shop! Thanks again :)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyway, ranting again, but is there yet a solution to this silly problem? I'm thinking of poking around in the Scarlett MixControl app but I'm pretty sure people have tried that. My only other idea is something like Soundflower to internally route audio and spoof OBS into thinking it's hearing the correct inputs. IDK if that's worked for anyone either, info is scarce - and wouldn't this also incur some sort of delay?

I think this might be what you're looking for: https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like Pioneer finally certified Rekordbox 6.7.7, which has been out for a month or so, for Sonoma.

While the CDJ-2000 was a legacy unsupported model, I think it did technically support Pro DJ Link in RB up through Ventura. Something apparently changed in Sonoma enough to require the CDJ-3000 to need a firmware update to re-enable Pro DJ Link functionality. While I haven’t actually tested Pro DJ Link with the newst RB under Sonoma with the old 2000s (my friend currently has them), I would suspect that they probably also don’t work under Sonoma, AND a firmware update for the legacy 2000s is not in the cards, so Mac users should consider Ventura to be end-of-the-line if Pro DJ Link is a requirement, OR just know that you are USB only from here on out.

And that Beatport issue I was having — chatted with the support guy and he clued me in that it’s some weird player bug he’d never seen before and reported it up. The second iteration of the song IS actually the same track, just at the 2:00-something mark (like when they play the preview version halfway through any gien track for free users) so technically I did get the right song. He still refunded me though, which was cool :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Question for you guys.. Do you keep like, a notebook or notes file or something of ideas for tracks that sound good together? I'm just curious how you connect things when you're not in front of the decks. I just came across something on beatport that I think will sound killer with another track, and I sudenly realized that while it's in my cart I will have forgotten about it entirely in an hour when my meetings start in earnest and I'm reviewing documents, so I started a quick ideas.txt file and just did a "track1 -> track2???"

Even in front of the decks I find that I have a stroke of luck when two tracks fit REALLY well and I'll have fogotten all about it the next morning if I don't remember to look at my rekordbox history. Thinking I should keep a pencil and paper handy just to jot down good pairings..

Virgil Vox posted:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 4, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

some kinda jackal posted:

Question for you guys.. Do you keep like, a notebook or notes file or something of ideas for tracks that sound good together? I'm just curious how you connect things when you're not in front of the decks. I just came across something on beatport that I think will sound killer with another track, and I sudenly realized that while it's in my cart I will have forgotten about it entirely in an hour when my meetings start in earnest and I'm reviewing documents, so I started a quick ideas.txt file and just did a "track1 -> track2???"

Even in front of the decks I find that I have a stroke of luck when two tracks fit REALLY well and I'll have fogotten all about it the next morning if I don't remember to look at my rekordbox history. Thinking I should keep a pencil and paper handy just to jot down good pairings..

Comments section of the song’s tags

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Question for you guys.. Do you keep like, a notebook or notes file or something of ideas for tracks that sound good together? I'm just curious how you connect things when you're not in front of the decks.

i used to take a snapchat pic w/ text note and just save to photos for later

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I take short videos sometimes for reference.
Sometimes after enough practice I remember the blend instead of the individual songs and then I remember them together in chunks

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pretty much any of my blends worth remembering go directly into OPS mixes, which I save in a plist folder and draw from sometimes live, like especially if I know I need to get from one vibe or tempo to another. Other than that, I'm fully improvising.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 5, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Gonna go live a bit early today, mostly to test some things:
- Mastering chain to get some Radio Loudness
- Sync offset correction
- Seeing if my Internet is stable enough to run the stream in 1080p

Lock in at 4:30PM EST
https://www.twitch.tv/0pposingforce

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Looks like Pioneer added a $9/mo cloud option to its plans (including the free plan) where you get 1TB of dropbox space to enable file cloud sync as well as library metadata sync and clouddirectplay on compatible CDJs.

I took the plunge just to see how valuable it is, but buyer beware — it makes you join Pioneer’s “Enterprise” account team giving them full control over your dropbox contents if you choose the “transfer to..” option that their docs suggest, so .. yeah .. I personally woudn’t if I had anything remotely importyant on an existing dropbox account.

Otherwise I guess in a year we see whether the convenience of keeping 3 devices in sync with minimal effort was worth the $180CAD. Somehow I doubt it, but you never know…

To be very fair to them, after the inital convoluted setup, getting both laptops synced was a breeze. Going to see how well my iPad Pro plays with iOS rekordbox to make that my 3rd device in case I feel like marking up cue points on the train ride to work or something..

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 6, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have they added a tablet layout to the app or is it still just blown up phone ui?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

qirex posted:

Have they added a tablet layout to the app or is it still just blown up phone ui?

Well I don’t know, but consider that M1 ARM Macs have been out for like four years now and Rekordbox is still an x86-64 app running in Rosetta emulation, so in hindsight I’m actually pretty sure that I *DO* know the answer to this question…

E: Ehhhh it’s “native” iPad UI, but it’s not winning any awards for design.

E2: Oh my god this is the worst application I have ever used.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 6, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I subscribe to djay for iPad use because I didn’t like rekordbox.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unless I'm using it "incorrectly", it forces you into two deck mode when you hold the iPad in the objectively correct landscape orientation, and the only way you can edit memcues etc is in portrait. The only value prop for this service to me is minimal effort library sync between my devices including iOS, but I guess I should have checked the usability of their iOS offering before I dumped two hundo on it. Oh well.

Arguably I solved my media syncing issue for "free" by just using Synology NAS folder sync between my laptops and just doing a library backup/restore whenever I had made enough material changes that warranted it.

Clouddirectplay is an interesting offering but I'm wondering who the target audience is who a) doesn't already doesn't already carry around heir entire usable library to gigs as a usb or usb-ssd, b) feels comfortable enough to rely on a cloud service or internet being available and reliable during a gig, or c) doesn't just take their laptop to gigs. I guess open deck nights or something, but at that point i'd much rather carry my usb with what I need and pay that money toward a beatport streaming subscription or something so I can easily cover what I don't already own.

I'm amazed at how desperate I am to talk myself out of this now that I dropped cash on it :lol:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What do you guys do when you come across tracks which seem to be unobtainium?

I'm lookimg for a few songs which seem to be by grayarea, but don't appear on discogs or beatport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XSBig5lks

Just wondering whether there's any place that I could look. I'm not above grabbing physical media and ripping as I've done for a few things I snagged from discogs, but this time I'm coming up empty here too. I would hate to think that we're at the point where a youtube rip is the only solution to something going extinct.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 18, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Dubplates are dubplates for a reason. If I'm really digging it I might look around on the usual channels, but if it's not out there then it's not meant to be. The allure of seeing certain DJs is just that; like Goldie, from a technical standpoint his mixing is dogshit. Trainwreck city. But he's got dubs for days, tunes that nobody else will ever play in a million years. And he owns art galleries and was like married to Björk or something, so the dubplates must be working.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm! Good point. Unfortunate that they risk disappearing into history at some point though :(

I’ll be honest, not really being familiar with the scene that much I didn’t even know those were a thing. I just assumed that everyone wanted everything available for everyone, but the exclusivity factor does make sense when you explain it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 18, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

I'm lookimg for a few songs which seem to be by grayarea, but don't appear on discogs or beatport.

Just wondering whether there's any place that I could look. I'm not above grabbing physical media and ripping as I've done for a few things I snagged from discogs, but this time I'm coming up empty here too. I would hate to think that we're at the point where a youtube rip is the only solution to something going extinct.

10 years ago I used to have to order small batch vinyl releases shipped from the UK (to California) to get certain tracks that weren't released digitally on either beatport, juno download or even SoundCloud (just for me to rip to FLAC to use digitally). I have a feeling you would've found the vinyls for the tracks you want in your searching if they existed though.

Sometimes producers just keep tracks unreleased though and only they and maybe some other DJs they share it with have access (as a way to be able to play sets that can't be replicated by your average joe with a beatport account. Sometimes those tracks do eventually get released.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Message the artist/label and ask

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's actually what my goal is right now. Unfortunately when I go to their label's website I don't get the option to buy the track, but I do get the option to buy their domain name :(

This is a bit of a fun exercise in any event, though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is.. uh.. is there a way to delete a playlist in beatport web ui?

I created a ton of stupid dummy playlists over the last year and they're just clutter. But for the life of me I'm either missing the most obvious button right in front of my nose, or .. well actually I don't know "or" what -- surely they can't not have a way to delete a playlist, right?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Welp, I guess it's time to repair one of my CDJs. Deck 3's Cue button is doing the dreaded thing where it's lost its 'click' feeling, and is very sensitive and sometimes just presses on its own, which really hosed me up a couple of times just now. Do any of y'all know if that's a 'replacement part' issue or just something stuck in the contact? It's probably a good idea to just give the entire setup a spring cleaning, especially if I'm looking to sell the DJM900.

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

Splinter posted:

10 years ago I used to have to order small batch vinyl releases shipped from the UK (to California) to get certain tracks that weren't released digitally on either beatport, juno download or even SoundCloud (just for me to rip to FLAC to use digitally). I have a feeling you would've found the vinyls for the tracks you want in your searching if they existed though.

Sometimes producers just keep tracks unreleased though and only they and maybe some other DJs they share it with have access (as a way to be able to play sets that can't be replicated by your average joe with a beatport account. Sometimes those tracks do eventually get released.

in UK DJ culture yea jungle/ukg/grime/dubstep etc. etc. have had a dubplate culture for ages. used to be acetates, more rare lathe cuts of unreleased stuff. nowadays still happens, at least for the prior mentioned genres you get VIPs of tracks. sometimes they get released but usually shuffled around between labelmates/DJs/friends etc. - tbh happens a bit less in the underground house/techno scene although certainly there's edits that are kept for yr own usage or secret weapons.

tracks can go like.. 10-15ys before you find them tho. just recently a track I was searching for since 2009 was a b-side on some swedish pop single that was pressed with a house remix only in italy. found not on discogs, but in.. italy. price? 15 cents. : )

anyhow, algo threw me a mark n mix hadn't seen in ages today. might have caused me to spend 3h flipping back the decks vertically and scratching 7s. serious workout. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lue98yn0KOQ

Mike Cartwright fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 10, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Welp, I guess it's time to repair one of my CDJs. Deck 3's Cue button is doing the dreaded thing where it's lost its 'click' feeling, and is very sensitive and sometimes just presses on its own, which really hosed me up a couple of times just now. Do any of y'all know if that's a 'replacement part' issue or just something stuck in the contact? It's probably a good idea to just give the entire setup a spring cleaning, especially if I'm looking to sell the DJM900.

If it's anything like my 2000s it's probably super ez. Either you have some poo poo between the button and the body (honest, probably more likely than you think, even if you take care of them) which was the case with one my 2000s, or the contact spring on the little tactile button itself is just worn from years of energetic cue slapping.

Both are super easy to fix. Obviously just opening the case and taking a wet wipe or something to the controls should fix the first, and the second is just desoldering a button on a small PCB which (imho) is very easy if you have any experience soldering anything ever.

The component is probably super easy to source from mouser or newark, or if you aren't comfortable narrowing down what the component is then you can probably pay a bit of a surcharge and buy from some cdj-specific online shop.

Taking them apart should be a piece of cake too. Just remember that there's a ribbon cable that holds the two sides together and you have to gently and slowly lift the case to one side and not the other (hence slowly, so you can see if you're doing it wrong). After that it just lays open like a book and you can work on extracting the relevant PCB.

Not claiming myself as an authority figure on CDJ repair based on my entire experience of having done it once, but def feel free to DM me if you have any Q's.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 10, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
^ Thank you! I actually went around the edge of the Cue button just now with a really thin blade; it was just some dirt stuck in there and now it's perfectly clicky again. Definitely a good idea to get them cleaned sooner than later, but I got a bit more time before some actual Spring Cleaning.

Something isn't adding up with my DJ library.

I'm trying to migrate it to an external USB SSD so I can edit plists/crates on the go on my laptop. I copied all the data manually, and did the 'move Rekordbox database to new volume' thing in Rekordbox, and it seems to have worked - I haven't tested it on the laptop yet that's the last part, currently I'm just making sure everything is there. And I found a pretty big discrepancy: The SSD is the same size as the internal one I moved everything from, yet since manually moving the files it became about 100GB more full, and since 'move RB database' it's bloated by another 40GB.

Furthermore, while I have been very meticulous about copying everything to the internal SSD from the HDD on which the tracks first exist, it looks like I missed about 108 tracks, which Rekordbox is still expecting to find on the HDD. This is an issue I can solve pretty easily, I'm just combing through the dates they were added and sleuthing through old folders that way, no biggie.

But the size discrepancy is puzzling, especially the bloating post-database moving. I don't want to have to upgrade to a larger SSD just quite yet (and I don't really want to delete old poo poo either, but if I have to I'll go that way). And now opening up the external SSD in Finder, it hangs on seeing the entire library folder - either that or it's taking WAY too long to see everything, either way is a non-starter.

EDIT: OK weird, I reformatted the external SSD to APFS and it's about finished copying the library and looks like it'll land much closer to the original size. Now I just have to 'relocate all missing files' to the new drive and we should be in business. I was trying to keep it as a FAT volume so it might still work as a CDJ volume - have my proverbial cake and eat it too, I guess. Maybe it still will, that'd be a bonus.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jan 12, 2024

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
OK well crisis averted there, and my computers transfer data way faster than I thought - unless Rekordbox is involved, NYUCK NYUCK

Now I'm trying to do something productive while home sick so I figured I'd try to iron out the kinks in the mobile streaming setup I've been working on. The hurdle I've run into is audio.

Is it actually true that you can't use a Pioneer XDJ-RX2's USB audio interface at all while it's in standalone mode? I just want to get the 1/2 master mix into the computer so I can pipe it into OBS. I could run in MIDI Mode but A: that defeats the whole purpose of a standalone unit; I like having the two USB ports especially for spontaneous B2Bs, and B: using Rekordbox might be taxing on a li'l laptop that's already running OBS.

Kinda bullshit that the audio interface is locked out in standalone mode. If there's a way around this that'd be cool.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
There are many djs I stopped listening to way back because they would be playing songs in their monthly radio shows that weren’t released for 12-16 months later, if at all, and even trying to keep track of these songs to eventually get a copy became cumbersome. Some of them I suspect weren’t even released. The average listener problem didn’t care but, as a dj and collector of music, it just seemed really selfish? Not sure if that’s the right word, but I listen to other mixes to discover new music

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jan 12, 2024

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

mitztronic posted:

There are many djs I stopped listening to way back because they would be playing songs in their monthly radio shows that weren’t released for 12-16 months later, if at all, and even trying to keep track of these songs to eventually get a copy became cumbersome. Some of them I suspect weren’t even released. The average listener problem didn’t care but, as a dj and collector of music, it just seemed really selfish? Not sure if that’s the right word, but I listen to other mixes to discover new music

In a world where the barrier to entry for DJing is so low, I think it helps keep them differentiated. Hey book me or listen to my show or watch my stream because I have the unreleased bangers that the amateurs don't have. Also prevents people from basically being able to copy setlists or parts of released mixes if some of those tracks aren't available to the masses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ah, the great dubplate debate emerges yet again