Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
ah! awesome! Thanks a poo poo ton. I thought I was about done with this setting up part until i realized i had no cables!

I'm basically done now, I can use my desktop to run Virtual Dj since the get go. Now i just gotta mix something and not suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The mix competitions usually don't work because there are not enough people to vote, and with so much different genres out here getting a proper way to judge is nearly impossible. But what we could do is getting some sort of 'chainmix' thingy where everyone does a 30 minute bit and we end up with a long eclectic mix in which everyone can do his thing.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Professorbx posted:

I can tell you first hand, 100% verifiable that they are all discontinued. They are gone. I have had conversations with the buyers of leading retail chains who had to do their final buy in, as recently as NAMM. They are dead. For the love of god, will people just accept this?

So does this mean the pair of 1200s I will have are going to be museum pieces in a decade or two? :)

I said in the last thread I was going to drop a few bones for another 1200 and HDJ-500s once my tax return came; the time has come! Looks like 1200s can still be had under 250 (without carts, of course), been watching them for the last few weeks to see how much I should expect to pay for one. Hopefully I can make off like a bandit with both turntable and headphones while paying under 300.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Yea, contest will probably end up lovely although if everyone does a 10 minute mix as a pass around project and adds on to it, that could be pretty interesting.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Selling some Novation Dicers broze

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386872

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Yea, contest will probably end up lovely although if everyone does a 10 minute mix as a pass around project and adds on to it, that could be pretty interesting.

The thing with with goon projects like this or one like in the past(goon city/train/scraper) is that we'd need a lot of involvement!

I think there's enough djs(or people who can mix some songs) here to be able to make a goon mega mix.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

Perhaps with mod approval we can get a stickied topic for a week or so for voting?

To do a big megamix, we'd need someone to be able to stitch all of the pieces together and that's a pretty tall order.

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

chrix posted:

Perhaps with mod approval we can get a stickied topic for a week or so for voting?

To do a big megamix, we'd need someone to be able to stitch all of the pieces together and that's a pretty tall order.

It might be better to get mod approval to post it in NMD or GBS, so you can get people to vote besides other DJ's.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

chrix posted:

Could just pass the mix around and have everyone add theirs to the end.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GWS has competitions all the time and their threads get stickied all over the fuckin' place.

Just need to do the same thing.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Splinter posted:

Could just pass the mix around and have everyone add theirs to the end.

The problem with that is that to record for the next person, I'd end up having to let serato play 40 minutes of the previous goons input, only to have me screw up one transition and have to start all over. Not to mention we'd need to pass the entire file in lossless format which will start to get too large to pass around if we have more than 3-4 DJs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm thinking more along the lines of everyone being responsible for stitching their part onto the end of the file they received before sending it on to the next person. That way some poor guy isn't stuck having to guess how each part is supposed to mix with the previous one. You could work with the last 30-60 seconds of the previous mix in Serato then splice your part onto the main mix.

I agree that lossless would be a problem after the first few participants, so I think we'd have to use MP3. Yeah, we'd lose some quality re-encoding the mix 6-8 times, but I don't think that's a big deal for a ML collab.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Splinter posted:

I'm thinking more along the lines of everyone being responsible for stitching their part onto the end of the file they received before sending it on to the next person. That way some poor guy isn't stuck having to guess how each part is supposed to mix with the previous one. You could work with the last 30-60 seconds of the previous mix in Serato then splice your part onto the main mix.

I agree that lossless would be a problem after the first few participants, so I think we'd have to use MP3. Yeah, we'd lose some quality re-encoding the mix 6-8 times, but I don't think that's a big deal for a ML collab.

I've done this successfully on another site...lossless (WAV is best) will be fine if we're only passing the last 2-3 minutes of someone's segment, but we had a volunteer splice the tracks together

DJ A mixes the opening 10 minutes.
DJ A sends the mix (in wav format) to the Splicer.
Splicer sends the last 3 minutes of DJ A's set to DJ B
DJ B sets his pitch to 0 and starts mixing into the final 3 minutes of DJ A's mix
DJ B sends his new ~13 minute wav file (2-3 minutes of DJ A + 10 minutes of DJ B) to the Splicer.
Splicer sends the last 3 minutes of DJ B's set to DJ C
etc.

When we're all done, the Splicer puts it all together, uses VBR MP3 compression and voila, we've got a forum-wide megamix.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Makes sense! Too bad i'm terrible at mixing.

Speaking of mixing! I suck! Speaking of me sucking! I set up an account with beatport. Do you guys just buy random songs you enjoy or do you do what I do and buy entire albums after hearing one song you like on it?

I feel that way I can have more poo poo to work with. Kinda fun to look through the album and find a song that goes well with another song you've heard.

also! should I be buying in mp3 or wav format from beatport?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Speaking of mixing! I suck! Speaking of me sucking! I set up an account with beatport. Do you guys just buy random songs you enjoy or do you do what I do and buy entire albums after hearing one song you like on it?

I only buy stuff I like. Filtering out the good from the bad is a time consuming exercise that has gotten progressively worse over the years as the site has gotten more content. Be prepared to deal with much pain and suffering for a while until you find your footing

edit: even when I worked there finding good stuff apart from the bad was still time consuming

quote:

also! should I be buying in mp3 or wav format from beatport?

Reference the lossless vs lossy argument from the last page. MP3 is fine, especially for someone just starting out

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

chrix posted:

:words:
Sounds good. Who wants to splice! :v:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:words:
I just buy the songs I want to mix. Buying whole releases when I just want a track or two would get expensive pretty quickly, and water down my library. It's up to you though. If you like the idea of buying full albums/releases, go for it.

MP3 vs WAV also comes down to personal preference. WAV files are higher quality, but most people cannot tell the difference between 320Kbps MP3s and WAVs most of the time. You're certainly not going to ruin someone's night by playing 320 MP3s instead of WAVs. Playing WAVs is slightly less CPU intensive because they don't need to be decoded before playback like MP3s, but on most computers CPU usage won't be an issue (though MP3s may still load slower). WAVs also take up much more hard disk space than MP3s, but storage is so cheap now that this isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. WAVs don't support tagging, so you'll have to rely on your DJ/Music program library to store metadata (like track, artist, bpm), and if you move to a different program (or a different computer w/o your library file) you'll have to re-enter all the info.

If you buy WAVs, you can store them as FLACs. FLAC compresses WAVs w/o any loss of quality (kind of like a ZIP file for audio). You can sometimes reduce the file size by up to 50% by using FLACs (though this is still a lot larger than an MP3). The FLAC format also supports tagging. FLACs have to be decoded like MP3s though, so you'll lose the CPU benefits of WAVs.

I personally buy WAV/FLAC when they're offered in hopes that somewhere, on some system, to some ears they'll sound or feel a little better. Another reason is I'd rather have the WAV if I ever want to do a remix or an edit. I'm crazy though. Regardless of the format I buy (WAVs/FLACs aren't always offered), I replayGain the files @ 93dB (+4dB) and store them as WAVs for DJing.

320Kbps MP3s are fine though, and probably the way to go if you aren't OCD about going lossless. High quality variable bit rate MP3s (e.g. LAME's V0 preset) should sound identical to 320s in most cases while taking up less space, but most stores don't offer tracks files in this format.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Splinter posted:

320Kbps MP3s are fine though, and probably the way to go if you aren't OCD about going lossless. High quality variable bit rate MP3s (e.g. LAME's V0 preset) should sound identical to 320s in most cases while taking up less space, but most stores don't offer tracks files in this format.

Amazon does, as far as I can tell. They are usually VBR with an average bitrate in the 220s, which is what V0 usually produces

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Ah! I see! I'll just stick to mp3s since it's what I know. Songs sound like they should through my rokit. Maybe I have untrained ears since I can't honestly tell the difference.

v:v:v

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You should look for some blogs that cover the genres of music you're into. There are a lot of quality free downloads being offered these days. Bootleg edits/remixes and original tracks. Also, Soundcloud.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I meant difference in format. 320 mp3 wav mp4 can't tell the diff! (in quality) I'll learn.

As for music, I hate to be really cliche, but I love every genre of music. Pandora is a god send for me. Also really useful for finding new artist by the way.

Lately I've been doing what most kids my age do and listening to alot of dubstep. I never took to time to actually listen to the genre until recently. I can see why everyone likes it to much. Heavy basslines, catchy drums/kicks/snare, crazy drops back into more heavy bass.

I've been stuck with Rusko and Chase & Status for a bit. Anybody know of any one else I should be keeping my ear on?

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
I'd be up for another mix competition even though the last one kind of bummed out. I like the idea of the supermegamix, but it would require one person to put quite a lot of time into it, both into the eventual putting together as well as coordinating who gets whose mix. A D&B guy can't work with a set by a deep house DJ. Still, should be possible.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

As for music, I hate to be really cliche, but I love every genre of music. Pandora is a god send for me. Also really useful for finding new artist by the way.

Lately I've been doing what most kids my age do and listening to alot of dubstep. I never took to time to actually listen to the genre until recently. I can see why everyone likes it to much. Heavy basslines, catchy drums/kicks/snare, crazy drops back into more heavy bass.

I've been stuck with Rusko and Chase & Status for a bit. Anybody know of any one else I should be keeping my ear on?

Check labels, they are the best way of discovering more new music similar to the artists you're into. So check out on Beatport what labels Rusko and Chase & Status have released their stuff on and then just click through. There's bound to be some artist with a release on the same label that you like. Then simply repeat the process. It takes time, a lot of time but it will expand your musical horizon enormously.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Awesomeo thanks

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Started going to a 'DJ Club' at my local college before christmas. Was hooked, bought a Mixtrack and now I have the opportunity to play at a club one night. Need to get my poo poo in order rapido :)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SUP fellow mixtrack (pro) bro :respek:

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'm just starting to seriously get into DJing, and I'm getting barraged with so much information it's daunting to take it all in. I've just been using my humble setup of a Numark Mixtrack with Traktor for now, and I feel like I'm quickly starting to outgrow it. I want to start saving up some cash to get turntables to use with Traktor, but there's so much information out there that it really confuses me, so I have a few questions:

1. First off, what are some good, reasonably priced products so that I can move away from these jog wheels into actual, moving, turntables? I know I need a mixer and 2 separate decks, but I don't want to shell out a bunch of money and then realize I bought a bunch of worthless crap that'll break in a month. Yes, I know all this stuff requires a pretty huge wallet, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

2. How do you work with effects when using turntables and a mixer? Using my Mixtrack it's pretty simple, I just have some buttons on the top that let me select effects, and then I just press a few more buttons and bam there they are being used on a track. However, if I get an external mixer, unless I get something that has MIDI functionality, it seems to me like you're stuck with using only the whatever effects that mixer has. Most of the lower end mixers see, to not have anything besides EQ effects, as far as I can tell. Do you need to get some sort of separate MIDI controller to work with all the Traktor effects? Or is there something I'm missing here?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

1. First off, what are some good, reasonably priced products so that I can move away from these jog wheels into actual, moving, turntables? I know I need a mixer and 2 separate decks, but I don't want to shell out a bunch of money and then realize I bought a bunch of worthless crap that'll break in a month. Yes, I know all this stuff requires a pretty huge wallet, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

Get a pair of used Technics 1200s and be done with it. They are built like tanks and hold their resale value pretty well. Go for M3D or MK5s if you can find them, as they don't have the pitch lock groove that can be a pain to deal with (those models have a separate quartz lock button instead)

quote:

2. How do you work with effects when using turntables and a mixer? Using my Mixtrack it's pretty simple, I just have some buttons on the top that let me select effects, and then I just press a few more buttons and bam there they are being used on a track. However, if I get an external mixer, unless I get something that has MIDI functionality, it seems to me like you're stuck with using only the whatever effects that mixer has. Most of the lower end mixers see, to not have anything besides EQ effects, as far as I can tell. Do you need to get some sort of separate MIDI controller to work with all the Traktor effects? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Well, you don't *have* to have a controller to run effects, but it certainly makes it much easier. Traktor has assignable keyboard shortcuts that you could set up to approximate what you are doing now with the Mixtrack. Honestly if you're just starting out, I'd not worry about effects too much. Focus on your beatmatching, phrasing, and programming first and then look at bringing effects into the picture a bit later

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Get a pair of used Technics 1200s and be done with it. They are built like tanks and hold their resale value pretty well. Go for M3D or MK5s if you can find them, as they don't have the pitch lock groove that can be a pain to deal with (those models have a separate quartz lock button instead)

Well, you don't *have* to have a controller to run effects, but it certainly makes it much easier. Traktor has assignable keyboard shortcuts that you could set up to approximate what you are doing now with the Mixtrack. Honestly if you're just starting out, I'd not worry about effects too much. Focus on your beatmatching, phrasing, and programming first and then look at bringing effects into the picture a bit later

Thanks for the response! I'll start saving up for those Technics, although at what seems like the price of nearly $1k a turntable this definitely won't be cheap. I have another questions specifically for Mixtrack users, since I noticed there are a couple of you guys here:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack? Any attempts I make at this are incredibly sloppy, and I haven't been able to find any good guides or videos of someone scratching one and showing you how to. I've found like one or two youtube videos of some guy scratching on one to some moderate success, but I can't even begin to replicate anything like that. I know part of it is just simply practicing, but I really don't even know what goals to be shooting for when I practice, nothing I do sounds really fluid or goes with whatever else I'm playing.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks for the response! I'll start saving up for those Technics, although at what seems like the price of nearly $1k a turntable this definitely won't be cheap.

:confused: Tech12s should retail for $500 new. You could probably get a pair used for a bit more than that

edit: oh snap, forgot about the recent discontinuation announcement (that's for reals this time apparently). Guitar Center has M5Gs for 1100, which is laughable. Audiolines has them for 750 new which is still outrageous

Scour your local craigslist, given the big shift to digital it shouldn't be too hard to find a used pair for a reasonable price

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 7, 2011

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Dark Wind posted:

Thanks for the response! I'll start saving up for those Technics, although at what seems like the price of nearly $1k a turntable this definitely won't be cheap. I have another questions specifically for Mixtrack users, since I noticed there are a couple of you guys here:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack? Any attempts I make at this are incredibly sloppy, and I haven't been able to find any good guides or videos of someone scratching one and showing you how to. I've found like one or two youtube videos of some guy scratching on one to some moderate success, but I can't even begin to replicate anything like that. I know part of it is just simply practicing, but I really don't even know what goals to be shooting for when I practice, nothing I do sounds really fluid or goes with whatever else I'm playing.

You can scratch with a controller or cdj. I'm sure its some what difficult giving the jog wheels don't move. As too, a vinyl always turning.

But I wouldn't know for sure. I'm no scratch dj.

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 7, 2011

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

You can scratch with a controller or cdj. I'm sure its some what difficult giving the job wheels don't move. As too, a vinyl always turning.

But I wouldn't know for sure. I'm no scratch dj.

it's possible to scratch on cdjs, just ask Bad Boy Bill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nKhJutK8ck

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

The Dark Wind posted:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack?

You're gonna have a pretty difficult time skratching with the Mixtrack. It's possible, but you have to get accustomed to the latency and the tiny low-resolution jogwheels. I'm sure if you put in tons of practice you could get to a decent level, but nothing like you can do with other controllers out of the box. I have a VCI-300 that I use when I'm traveling and it's perfect for cutting.

This dude holds it down with the VCI-300:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxanpIjawM

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm about to get a MacBook pro since I have no laptop and I'd like to move away from my beloved Technics into digital DJing.
Is there any specific stuff I should be looking out for when buying my mac or will a basic one (13 or 15' btw?) do it.

Once I get my laptop I'll have to get me a controller not sure which yet, quite interested in the S4 also the Allen and Heath DX is awesome a friend of mine has it but I'm not sure I can afford that, it's quite a bit pricey. Are there any other controller I should be looking at?

I'll be mixing D&B by the way around in Switzerland.

Any other advice?

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

SUP fellow mixtrack (pro) bro :respek:

:respek:

Defiantly don't regret buying it. Would highly recommend it to newbs with a budget

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Le0 posted:

I'm about to get a MacBook pro since I have no laptop and I'd like to move away from my beloved Technics into digital DJing.
Is there any specific stuff I should be looking out for when buying my mac or will a basic one (13 or 15' btw?) do it.

Once I get my laptop I'll have to get me a controller not sure which yet, quite interested in the S4 also the Allen and Heath DX is awesome a friend of mine has it but I'm not sure I can afford that, it's quite a bit pricey. Are there any other controller I should be looking at?

I'll be mixing D&B by the way around in Switzerland.

Any other advice?

I have the 15" model and it works great, I've seen people use 13" ones just fine as well. Just depends on how much screen realestate you want.

The 17" is a bit overkill though, going to be more cumbersome for gigging

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I'm wondering what gigging would be like on an 11" MBA

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Meliv posted:

Defiantly don't regret buying it. Would highly recommend it to newbs with a budget

You could get a second hand VCI-100 for not much more money though.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Meliv posted:

Although, virtual dj that came with it crashes quite a bit on me. Atleast when I upgraded to the 20 days free trial for PRO.

Worked alot better before I decided to try the trial :colbert:

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

i use an apc20, an maudio xsession pro and live to chop and mix all sorts of glitchy bass music

i am totally down for a forums megamix

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
How come I never see anyone use SL DZs? They look pretty cool, and I'm seeing a lot of them on eBay. Is there something wrong or bad about them?

E: Just read your review on them, prof bx. I must admit that I bought one. :shobon:

THAT DAMN DOG fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Although, virtual dj that came with it crashes quite a bit on me. Atleast when I upgraded to the 20 days free trial for PRO.

Worked alot better before I decided to try the trial :colbert:

Traktor Traktor Traktor :)