Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
When my lil free trial runs out I'll give traktor a try.

oh man new page?! UHHHHHH

Check out this cool turntable this guy has!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dowdenboy#p/u/7/fw-nJRD78tA

ShortyMR.CAT fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbing Spork
Apr 9, 2006

THAT drat DOG posted:

How come I never see anyone use SL DZs? They look pretty cool, and I'm seeing a lot of them on eBay. Is there something wrong or bad about them?

E: Just read your review on them, prof bx. I must admit that I bought one. :shobon:

I tried out the SL DZ for a few weeks when it first came out. Scratching was crap because the platter on top had way too much give to it before it did anything, and trying to scratch with MP3's gave you some kind of bizarre space invader sound effects. It was slow as hell loading up new songs, and very expensive when it first came out.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Stabbing Spork posted:

I tried out the SL DZ for a few weeks when it first came out. Scratching was crap because the platter on top had way too much give to it before it did anything, and trying to scratch with MP3's gave you some kind of bizarre space invader sound effects. It was slow as hell loading up new songs, and very expensive when it first came out.

I will be using it for Serato, so hopefully I won't ever have to use a regular CD and run into those problems. I got it really cheap, and decided I had nothing to lose and I could resell it if I didn't like it. But almost everywhere I read online complained about the platter.

Faikon
Aug 2, 2007

I wrote a 46 page story about a Dark Eldar girl who hates her parents, need critiques please.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Check out this cool turntable this guy has!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dowdenboy#p/u/7/fw-nJRD78tA

Being unclear as to whether or not you are being serious or sarcastic, I thought I would provide relevant information about that turntable! It looks to be the Vestax QFO, a little project that came about thanks to Q-Bert. The idea was basically to make a portal all-in-one solution for a scratch artist to set up a turntable and mixer with as little work and space as possible. More of a gimmick than anything, and it appears to have been discontinued.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I'm new to this stuff, ok :smith:

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

THAT drat DOG posted:

How come I never see anyone use SL DZs? They look pretty cool, and I'm seeing a lot of them on eBay. Is there something wrong or bad about them?

E: Just read your review on them, prof bx. I must admit that I bought one. :shobon:

Haha, that was like....my 3rd review ever? I stand by what I said, just not how poor my writing was back then. Some of the issues were at least fixed in later firmware which is nice, but I still feel there are better units for the money, and the unit is a bit dated now.

Professorbx fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 10, 2011

Faikon
Aug 2, 2007

I wrote a 46 page story about a Dark Eldar girl who hates her parents, need critiques please.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I'm new to this stuff, ok :smith:

That's why I threw in the disclaimer. Wasn't meant to come off as a dick there! :)

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
JohnBeez, on the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJyvkL2q8uk

In other news, Tracktor Pro 2 announced, check out djtechtools video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQjaQ6rWpw

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Fatal posted:

In other news, Tracktor Pro 2 announced, check out djtechtools video on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJQjaQ6rWpw

Sweeeeeeeeeet

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm really tempted to pick up a Traktor system so I can stop carrying so many CDs. But I don't know which I would want, the S4 hardware interface or the timecode cd/vinyl.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009

Fatal posted:

JohnBeez, on the other hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJyvkL2q8uk

Awesome, makes me want to pick up an Audio4.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Twiin posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up a Traktor system so I can stop carrying so many CDs. But I don't know which I would want, the S4 hardware interface or the timecode cd/vinyl.
The S4 will support timecode at some point. It has 2 phono/line input channels to hookup turntables or CDJs, but the software doesn't support it yet. I'm guessing you'll be able to use timecode with the S4 in Tractor Scratch Pro 2.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 11, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Splinter posted:

The S4 will support timecode at some point. It has 2 phono/line input channels to hookup turntables or CDJs, but the software doesn't support it yet. I'm guessing you'll be able to use timecode with the S4 in Tractor Scratch Pro 2.

Seems that way. The Audio10 interface that will be coming with TSP2 has four phono pre-amps as well (the Audio8 only has two)

Given that TP2/TSP2 comes out in less than two months, you might consider waiting

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Splinter posted:

http://nativeinstruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s4/?page=1813 [bottom of the page]

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

That's pretty awesome, but what do you ground a turntable to?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

melee beats posted:

That's pretty awesome, but what do you ground a turntable to?

The audio8 (and presumably the audio10) has a ground post on it

edit: derp should have read the link first, you wouldn't have an audio8/10 in that scenario. Does the S4 have a ground post on it? I can't remember.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

vanilla slimfast posted:

The audio8 (and presumably the audio10) has a ground post on it

edit: derp should have read the link first, you wouldn't have an audio8/10 in that scenario. Does the S4 have a ground post on it? I can't remember.

I don't think it does - but for most purposes, it seems a little over the top to carry an S4 and 1200s around anyway

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

melee beats posted:

I don't think it does - but for most purposes, it seems a little over the top to carry an S4 and 1200s around anyway

I found a zoomed in image of the back panel on NI's site and it looks like there is actually a ground post on one side, directly underneath the kensington lock slot

Can't link to it here though

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's good news. The upgrade price isn't bad either.

The S4 has a grounding post. I'm running a 1200mk2 into one atm.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Splinter posted:

That's good news. The upgrade price isn't bad either.

The S4 has a grounding post. I'm running a 1200mk2 into one atm.

Sweet, but like I said, not super practical, right?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

melee beats posted:

Unless the S4 is either

a) a permanent club install

or

b) you're bringing it into an existing install where decks are already available

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

gently caress yeah, this is fantastic news. I was briefly worried I'd have to shell out a couple hundred for the full copy of Traktor 2. Guess I shouldn't have gone ahead and bought those control vinyls, though...

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

melee beats posted:

In what way?

If you're going someplace that doesn't already have decks and a mixer, you'd bring the S4 instead of a mixer.

If you already have a nice mixer, I'd say something like an X1 and an interface would be more practical than an S4.

I don't think there's much need for timecode if you have an S4 unless you scratch. The S4's jogs are pretty good, and if you take full advantage of Traktor's sync capabilities you don't even have to use them much.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Splinter posted:

In what way?

If you're going someplace that doesn't already have decks and a mixer, you'd bring the S4 instead of a mixer.

If you already have a nice mixer, I'd say something like an X1 and an interface would be more practical than an S4.

I don't think there's much need for timecode if you have an S4 unless you scratch. The S4's jogs are pretty good, and if you take full advantage of Traktor's sync capabilities you don't even have to use them much.

I split my gigs between quite a few different types of venues. When I go to a club, I take Serato and play off of 1200s (usually). When I'm playing private gigs, I take my 1200s, mixer, and Serato, and it's because I'm an (apparently) old dude that can't let go of vinyl. It would be nice to take the S4 to private gigs and not haul everything out if I'm not getting crazy on cuts and stuff. But, I don't see that replacing my mixer for non-club gigs. Bringing the S4 and two turntables seems impractical.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

So in a nutshell, Traktor 2 borrowed a whole bunch of the mainstay features from Serato. Looking at the most recent Serato survey (its online at their site now), looks like they plan to do NI the same courtesy.

ProffesorBX, can you explain if there's a real difference between the 1Khz CV from Serato vs the 2Khz from Traktor?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
In theory the Trakor 2k signal has a twice as high resolution as the Serato 1k signal. So it's like a 12mp picture compared to a 6mp one. But in real life it makes as little as no difference. I have both Traktor and Serato (god bless dj-friends who dump their gear at your house) and I really can't tell the difference only when you power down (wind down) track you'll notice that Traktor continues longer before the frames start breaking up.

Fun fact: Traktor and Serato will calibrate on each others timecode vinyl, only at half or double speed :haw:

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

So in a nutshell, Traktor 2 borrowed a whole bunch of the mainstay features from Serato. Looking at the most recent Serato survey (its online at their site now), looks like they plan to do NI the same courtesy.

ProffesorBX, can you explain if there's a real difference between the 1Khz CV from Serato vs the 2Khz from Traktor?

It is sort of interesting-there is, but each actually has their advantages. For Traktor, any pitch bends, slow scratches or other fine movements are going to be more accurate due to the higher resolution. That said, Serato actually has an advantage in high-speed decoding, which can become problematic with too-high a frequency. Also, in theory, the 1k timecode is a little bit less problematic when the wax is worn down.

The moral of the story-there is no "right" way. I personally use Traktor, but it is for the feature set more than the timecode control.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

What new Mac Book Pro would you guys recommend for Serato for Bridge/ maybe Video SL use?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Any will do. But buy the 15" hiress if you can afford it. But you should wait it out for a little while, the MBP's a due for a major update soon.

Edit: ughr Engrish.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 14, 2011

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Sjoewe posted:

Any will do. But buy the 15" hiress if you can afford it. But you should wait it out for a little while, the MBP's a due for a mayor update soon.

13" is fine for serato, only the graphics card is worse.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Sjoewe posted:

Any will do. But buy the 15" hiress if you can afford it. But you should wait it out for a little while, the MBP's a due for a major update soon.

Edit: ughr Engrish.

I'm glad I did that in the fall of 2008, my old MBP was stolen right before they released the unibody models so I waited a few weeks before replacing

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
does the 15'' hiress screen really does that much of a difference?
Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Le0 posted:

Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

I know Ableton chokes and dies when I use it on a 5400RPM drive.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Le0 posted:

I used to do (motion)graphic design, so I still keep to the philosophy: the more pixels the better. Especially when using Traktor on the 4 deck mode, the normal 1440x900 resolution is just enough, but an extra 100 pixels would mean you could still fit (part of) your track list on screen. It isn't a must-have, but if you can afford it, it is a neat option from which you'll certainly benefit.

quote:

Slow harddrives can be a bottle neck, but i don't notice any realy problems with my current 5400rpm drive. But I do hope 200+gb SSD's get affordable in the near future, I would definitely opt for one of those in my next MBP.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Le0 posted:

Yes, the hi-res makes a huge difference - the more screen real estate, the better.

Get the 5400rpm. Then switch it out with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gate-_-22148591

dj bobby bieber fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 14, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Sjoewe posted:

I used to do (motion)graphic design, so I still keep to the philosophy: the more pixels the better. Especially when using Traktor on the 4 deck mode, the normal 1440x900 resolution is just enough, but an extra 100 pixels would mean you could still fit (part of) your track list on screen. It isn't a must-have, but if you can afford it, it is a neat option from which you'll certainly benefit.

Slow harddrives can be a bottle neck, but i don't notice any realy problems with my current 5400rpm drive. But I do hope 200+gb SSD's get affordable in the near future, I would definitely opt for one of those in my next MBP.

To go along with this-people get hung up on screen size without taking into account resolution. Sjoewe is right on the money about pixel count. To put it into perspective, when I was using a Macbook 13", the pixel count was painful compared to my current MBP 15", but a current gen Macbook Air 13" would be good to go due to having the same resolution as my MBP 15", meaning I could fit the same amount of information on screen.

As for the hard drive, if you are using Ableton, yes, it becomes an issue, but when you are using Traktor, the songs are streaming from memory, not the drive. As such, there is little discernible difference between the two. Ram is king in this case-the more ram you have, the more you can have going on that is cached in memory. 4gb or more, period.

THAT DAMN DOG
Oct 26, 2009
Anyone have experience on the audio side of DJing? I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers, and I'm stuck between JBL EON G2, Mackie Thump TH15A, and American Audio XSP.

First off, are 15" speakers overkill for a 75-125 person crowd? I'd rather go easier on my wallet and hopefully not blow my crowds eardrums, would a 12" speaker suffice?

Next one, a single JBL speaker can cost as much as half my cars worth, can I get by with a Mackie speaker or even an American Audio speaker? The venue I will be playing at has JBL EON G2s but they're pretty much all blown, so I can't really see how good they sound like.

E: The venue has a subwoofer so I guess bass shouldn't be a problem.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

THAT drat DOG posted:

Anyone have experience on the audio side of DJing? I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers, and I'm stuck between JBL EON G2, Mackie Thump TH15A, and American Audio XSP.

First off, are 15" speakers overkill for a 75-125 person crowd? I'd rather go easier on my wallet and hopefully not blow my crowds eardrums, would a 12" speaker suffice?

Next one, a single JBL speaker can cost as much as half my cars worth, can I get by with a Mackie speaker or even an American Audio speaker? The venue I will be playing at has JBL EON G2s but they're pretty much all blown, so I can't really see how good they sound like.

E: The venue has a subwoofer so I guess bass shouldn't be a problem.

I really really like the b52 matrix systems. Have a look at those.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

THAT drat DOG posted:

B52 Matrix systems, as stated, are really nice. loving huge sub, though. I have an EON system and I love it, but I got mine secondhand for like $150 each. It was a steal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

The rule of thumb is that it's usually a watt per person, and 2 watts per person if its outside.