Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Cowboy. posted:

For recording mixes, if the only line in on my laptop is a minijack microphone input do I need to get an outside USB/firewire sound device?

As long as your input supports line-level input (and not just mic input), it will work. An external audio interface will be better just in terms of quality, as the recording on your internal input is going to be "noisier." But it will suffice in most situations.

quote:

Are a Macbook's line in decent enough to record with? Should I be worried about how CPU intensive recording is with Serato going on the same machine?

It's an older 2Ghz Core2 with 2GB RAM Macbook for reference.

Recording is not CPU intensive, but it will strain your disk a bit more. A defrag ahead of time may help if you're paranoid

quote:

And are there any tips beyond the first post for configuring Audacity?

Audacity's pretty straight forward. Just make sure you're recording at 16bit 44.1khz stereo or better (this should be the default) and make sure you've selected your line input for your recording source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Is anyone looking for a PMC 07 Pro Anniversary? I wanna get rid of it.

I have a beat up PMC 280 too :x

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

melee beats posted:

Is anyone looking for a PMC 07 Pro Anniversary? I wanna get rid of it.

I have a beat up PMC 280 too :x

How beat up?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cowboy. posted:

DJ threads are the worst.

For recording mixes, if the only line in on my laptop is a minijack microphone input do I need to get an outside USB/firewire sound device?

Are a Macbook's line in decent enough to record with? Should I be worried about how CPU intensive recording is with Serato going on the same machine?

It's an older 2Ghz Core2 with 2GB RAM Macbook for reference.

And are there any tips beyond the first post for configuring Audacity?

ive found that macbook mic inputs are good enough, but they have a narrow band of good sounding, like 5 db wide or something(i mean who knows but you know what i mean)

i use a firewire interface with SSL on 2.0ghz macbook. it works fine, and honestly, you cant even notice any addition strain.

if you try to use the bridge though, its pretty heavy on the CPU, kind of annoyingly heavy, especially on 2ghz MB.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Professorbx posted:

How beat up?

It could use a new faceplate. Besides that though, it's in good shape. It's just one of the chrome ones that are tough to maintain

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Has anyone got any opinions/know anything about the Vestax Typhoon vs. the Hercules RMX? I'm looking for a controller/sound card combo in the $300 range...

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I've used the Hercules RMX and I don't really have any complaints with it. For the price it's pretty solid and has a good feel. It's about the right size for almost anything, besides scratching of course.

Since both work with Traktor I think the best is to go and try them out and see which feels better.

From my experience though, the RMX isn't a bad purchase.

MechanizedDeath
Aug 14, 2007
Anyone having problems with beatport this weekend? I have shot them an email. I don't know if it's beatport or if capital one just sucks that hard.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

MechanizedDeath posted:

Anyone having problems with beatport this weekend? I have shot them an email. I don't know if it's beatport or if capital one just sucks that hard.

Problem in what way? Can't access the site? Or can't checkout?

MechanizedDeath
Aug 14, 2007
I couldn't check out, but it finally started working again yesterday afternoon. I think my bank just sucks.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
I'm a complete newb to Traktor and just feeling my way around the software at this stage.
I was curious to know if it was possible to play 2 channels through 1 set of speakers eg. Virtual DJ's default setup.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Crazy C posted:

I'm a complete newb to Traktor and just feeling my way around the software at this stage.
I was curious to know if it was possible to play 2 channels through 1 set of speakers eg. Virtual DJ's default setup.

Yes, go into your audio preferences and set "master output" to your soundcard's L and R channels

You'll probably need to set your mixing mode to "internal" as well if it's not already

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

vanilla slimfast posted:

Yes, go into your audio preferences and set "master output" to your soundcard's L and R channels

You'll probably need to set your mixing mode to "internal" as well if it's not already

Sweet, thanks a lot, this makes sense :ughh:

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Do any of you guys live in the socal/santa barbara area? I'm doing a festival on March 26th with Passion Pit, E-40, Spencer and Hill, El Ten Eleven, and a lot more, but if any of you are around it would be cool if you came out to support!

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm this close of clicking on my checkout button on a macbook pro 15' and a Native S4. Please goons convince me that spending all this money is going to be worthwhile :downs:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I would get the Pioneer controller over the S4 but I think it costs more.

edit: I'm also gay for Pioneer :swoon:. And if you're not completely sold on Traktor, the new Numark NS6 looks incredibly decent. It may be the first Numark thing I buy.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 15, 2011

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Well of course, Pioneer being Pioneer means it costs a way bit more for a controller that is not THAT much better imo. I like the S4 look and feel

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Le0 posted:

Well of course, Pioneer being Pioneer means it costs a way bit more for a controller that is not THAT much better imo. I like the S4 look and feel

Then stop waiting for goon approval and get it

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I played around with the new Pioneer controller for a bit at Guitar Center the other day and on the whole the S4 felt like a higher quality unit. The jog wheels specifically felt MUCH better to me. Whatever NI did for the braking really does a lot to set it apart from the light, free spinning toy like feel of almost every other MIDI controller jog wheel they had at the store. The knobs on the S4 are also bigger and had a better feeling to them IMO.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
remember kids you're only as good as your equipment.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

remember kids you're only as good as your equipment.

I really wish they would stop taking DJ photos with equipment thats not plugged in, like that one Tiesto music video.

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
bazooka bazookabazooka bazookabazooka bazookabazooka bazookabazooka bazookabazooka bazooka

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 24, 2014

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Splinter posted:

I played around with the new Pioneer controller for a bit at Guitar Center the other day and on the whole the S4 felt like a higher quality unit. The jog wheels specifically felt MUCH better to me. Whatever NI did for the braking really does a lot to set it apart from the light, free spinning toy like feel of almost every other MIDI controller jog wheel they had at the store. The knobs on the S4 are also bigger and had a better feeling to them IMO.

Here are my thoughts, other people feel free to chime in if you've used these (controller chat!):

I have used both the S4 and the T1, and actually have more gig experience with the S4. The DDS-T1/S1 jog wheels/transport use the same mechanicals as the CDJ400. The knobs and faders on the mixer all feel the exact same as regular Pioneer mixers (at least the DJM700/800). If we're going solely on the way things feel I think the Pioneer controller feels the most like a regular CDJ/mixer setup since it's using the same parts as a regular CDJ/mixer.

Functionally, I can't recommend either. One day the controller manufacturers will realize that they can't half-rear end recreating mixer functions. For instance, both the Pioneer S1/T4 and the S4 lack booth audio outputs. For me to be able to fully replace my current gear I need to have the same or more functionality then what I currently have (2 CDJ400s and a DJM700). My friend uses an S4 for all of his gigs...he also brings an Allen and Heath Xone:22 to all of his gigs. What's the point of having an all in one controller?

I was really hoping that Pioneer would nail it with these controllers because out of anyone, they have the most experience making DJ equipment. Unfortunately I think they made them more for the bedroom DJ crowd and less for people that hook their stuff up out in the field. Like I said earlier, I think the Numark NS6 may be the superior option just because it has better audio in/out options. It has a full 4 channel analog mixer built into the controller. That's awesome and really smart since it makes audio routing a lot easier. I thought the NS7 (the one with motorized platters) was too much of a gimmick since the real turntablists are going to continue to use turntables. I don't know we'll see what happens. My guess is that these controllers will be fully ironed out in about 2 years.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Sorry for this really really loving basic question, but what in general is the max I want to stay on one song? Like for the entire duration of a song seems a bit too long, but I just have no general sense of things. Also I only have an APC-20 so no knobs and using a touchpad is a bitch to control parameters.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sorry for this really really loving basic question, but what in general is the max I want to stay on one song? Like for the entire duration of a song seems a bit too long, but I just have no general sense of things. Also I only have an APC-20 so no knobs and using a touchpad is a bitch to control parameters.

It depends largely on the genre, if you're doing bloghouse/top40, two drops/two minutes has proven to be plenty of time for me, considering it lets you play a decent amount of the song while still keeping things moving along and not letting one song sit for too long.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm starting with Electro House because I like it and while I love breakbeat so hard gently caress trying to mix it when you have no idea what you're doing.

e. gonna vote you scumbo

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I am also curious in this regard, more for minimal techno though? Any experienced people here who have suggestions?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
There are no rules. Play it for as long as you want and it feels right. If you are in front of an audience you'll have to learn how to read them. Pick two or three people as a reference and try to keep them on the dance floor. If you're at home, imagine a dance floor and try to make a vibe for yourself. I play techno (both 'minimal' and more upbeat) and I have some tracks that I'll play from the first groove to the last, while at the same time I somtimes only play the hook out of another track.
Just keep trying, you will get a feeling for it eventually.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

There are no rules. Play it for as long as you want and it feels right. If you are in front of an audience you'll have to learn how to read them. Pick two or three people as a reference and try to keep them on the dance floor. If you're at home, imagine a dance floor and try to make a vibe for yourself. I play techno (both 'minimal' and more upbeat) and I have some tracks that I'll play from the first groove to the last, while at the same time I somtimes only play the hook out of another track.
Just keep trying, you will get a feeling for it eventually.

Thanks for this advice. Do you have any mixes I could have a listen to?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Glad to help.
My own mixes are at: http://soundcloud.com/sjoewe

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

Glad to help.
My own mixes are at: http://soundcloud.com/sjoewe

Cool, at work now so will have a listen when I get home.

Can you maybe shed some light on the Numark M2? (considering I'm new to this and budget is important)
Are there maybe other options to look at?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
My advice is that it's better to save up a little longer and avoid the low-end gear. It will last you longer, and it will hold its value better, if you decide to sell it at some point.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah I figured this is not something to be a cheapskate about :smith:

I'm guessing Pioneer is the preferred choice for equipment?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
No, not by me at least. I'm an Allen&Heath man myself. But there are loads of good mid-level manufacturers out there, just go up a couple of price levels, and buy used gear if you can.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
Yeah I've only heard good things about the Xone series.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Crazy C posted:

My Xone:02 has lasted about 5 years now, including 3 trips through the USA, a few mini tours, hundreds of shows, a couple cans of beer, a few multi-feet drops and still keeps on ticking. The Xone:22 is a stupidly good budget mixer, and the thing is, even their "cheap" mixers are built to the standard of their expensive units.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Crazy C posted:

Thanks for this advice. Do you have any mixes I could have a listen to?

Going to echo what others have said, depends on the crowd, the genre, and your own mood. When playing house and techno I tend to start working in the next track as soon as possible after the last drop of the previous track. But I'm also one of those people who tends to do longer layered mixes, especially when mixing harmonically. Having a controller that lets me sets loops and do effects has expanded my range even further in this regard.

Shameless self promotion: http://bones.dj/

Crazy C posted:

I love my Xone:62. I've had it for about eight or nine years now (I think?) and it's been a tank. Aside from occasionally taking it apart to clean up the inside I've not had to do much of anything to keep it in good working order

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Whats a good cartridge for vinyl to digital transfers? Right now I have a Ortofon Concorde Pro S. Will I get a bit more quality using something with an elliptical needle? Is the Ortofon OM Arkiv (or Concorde Arkiv I guess) ideal for this, or is it just marketing and similar quality could be attained from a cheaper cartridge?

On another note, where's a good place to buy replacement parts for 1200s (mk2 if it matters)? I'm looking for a new dust cover.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

But I'm also one of those people who tends to do longer layered mixes, especially when mixing harmonically.

Are you one of those people that can just figure out the key on your own, or do you painstakingly find it with a keyboard, or do you use something like mixedinkey?

I ask because I can't decide if mixedinkey is vapourware (despite all the endorsements) or a worthwhile investment - or if I should just train my ear somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Cowboy. posted:

Are you one of those people that can just figure out the key on your own, or do you painstakingly find it with a keyboard, or do you use something like mixedinkey?

I ask because I can't decide if mixedinkey is vapourware (despite all the endorsements) or a worthwhile investment - or if I should just train my ear somehow.

Mixed in key. Despite the ridiculous marketing around it, the app is actually pretty good, well worth the 50 bucks or whatever it is. I'd say it's about 80% accurate in its key detection, which is good enough for government work

I don't strictly stick to harmonic mixing but I definitely rely on it more heavily when playing melodic stuff like house downtempo hiphop and disco. When doing tribally techy stuff it's not as critical