Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beatport redesign is months old now and there's still no way for me to get to an arbitrary page in a multi-page list except by moving three pages at a time.

I mean yeah you can argue I could just use the date picker to be more specific but like.. have you seen their date picker too?

And yeah, my main hunting mode is being like.. "show me everything from 01-01-2005 to 01-01-2006 and just going nuts poking through older stuff. And by nuts I mean "
until I get tired of not being able to skip ahead ten pages"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Is it actually true that you can't use a Pioneer XDJ-RX2's USB audio interface at all while it's in standalone mode? I just want to get the 1/2 master mix into the computer so I can pipe it into OBS. I could run in MIDI Mode but A: that defeats the whole purpose of a standalone unit; I like having the two USB ports especially for spontaneous B2Bs, and B: using Rekordbox might be taxing on a li'l laptop that's already running OBS.

Kinda bullshit that the audio interface is locked out in standalone mode. If there's a way around this

Can u not use RCA -> minijack from the mast 2, to a computer analog style. adjust the output gain in the utilities to match lights or balanced out

Re: Dubs & unreleased:

Watch the band camps close there is sometimes bootlegs there

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Virgil Vox posted:

Can u not use RCA -> minijack from the mast 2, to a computer analog style. adjust the output gain in the utilities to match lights or balanced out

It's a newer MacBook Air, so..... maybe, actually. I think it has a 3.5mm port on the right side, but whether it works as an input, will take line level, and sounds any good at all, are another question. Thanks, I legit forgot about that option.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

some kinda jackal posted:

Beatport redesign is months old now and there's still no way for me to get to an arbitrary page in a multi-page list except by moving three pages at a time.

I mean yeah you can argue I could just use the date picker to be more specific but like.. have you seen their date picker too?

And yeah, my main hunting mode is being like.. "show me everything from 01-01-2005 to 01-01-2006 and just going nuts poking through older stuff. And by nuts I mean "
until I get tired of not being able to skip ahead ten pages"

I used to use beatport back in the day and it's nuts to hear how bad it still is. The last few times I tried it lagged so bad in my browser I gave up. Bandcamp has an annoying search interface but it actually works otherwise and I can download songs more then once.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

This is sick, I would organize the records by key like a physical circle of 5ths.

Not sure how they get in; perhaps the mixer stand is on wheels, and props for the djm300 that is one of my fav mixers [it sucks just my nostalgia]

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
why is the mixer wearing a cope cage

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

My guess is so they could mount a variety of equipment, switch stuff out.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I completely forget that crates.co exists and seems to fix all my issues with beatport browsing...

It's shocking just how much better crates.co is. I'd say that beatport should just buy 'em out, but... they'd just wreck it. So naw.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 17, 2024

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
That's a nice find. Too bad however it hooks into your account can't get it to play full tracks too

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, my strategy right now is to add anything that sounds remotely interesting to a hold cart and then review it back on the main lovely site.

I don't actually have a good routine for auditioning music that isn't "just scrub through ten or so seconds around half or 3/4 of the track" so I'm not really losing all that much. I'm terrified to think of how many songs I bailed on which I would otherwise have loved because I skipped over the one phrase that would have hooked me. Mmm, best not to think about it :)

The only thing that I am really finding is missing on crates is being able to filter by BPM ranges.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jan 17, 2024

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
How is it 2024 and there is still no way to do serato library organization and song prep on mobile?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't worry, now that they're owned by AlphaTheta I'm sure we'll see a consolidation of rekordbox's amazing mobi--

oh wait sorry I'm being reminded that rekordbox mobile is just as poo poo and pioneer is stuck in the year 2012

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

looking at some nicer DD turntables and I'm not sure I have a mixer with a ground point on it, how important is this?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's less the ground point and more having a phono preamp, which the grounding thing is usually an indicator of. If the mixer doesn't have phono inputs you'll need a preamp on each channel.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm I think it all has to do with reducing ground loop interference since turntables aren't generally 3 prong earthed. It COULD be buzzy.

I THINK that you can achieve the same by just making sure the earth point is touching some metal part of the mixer but I'm no electrician so please don't electrocute yourself hooking up wires based on my flawed understanding of how grounding works.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I think I used to know all of this at some point. maybe I should just get a dj mixer again. but with like 4 channels

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Hmm

I THINK that you can achieve the same by just making sure the earth point is touching some metal part of the mixer.

If your mixer/amp doesn't have a ground pin and specific inputs for phono, then it doesn't handle non pre amplified phono input.

Basically phono is a much quieter signal than normal inputs, and the turntable and the amp/mixer it is connected to need to have a common ground, or you can get a 50/60hz hum.

Anything that accepts phono input (mixer or preamp) will have a ground pin for them.

If the turntables have a built in preamp then you don't need a ground wire, but they don't go into phono inputs either.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

ledge posted:

Basically phono is a much quieter signal than normal inputs, and the turntable and the amp/mixer it is connected to need to have a common ground, or you can get a 50/60hz hum.

I'm being a mote pedantic, but a phono preamp is not just a gain boost. It applies an EQ curve to the signal as well; boosting the low end and cutting the high end similarly. Back when the first vinyl records were being cut and the science of mastering was born, engineers discovered that loud low frequencies made the grooves wider, so in the interest of being able to fit the song on the record they devised some EQ curves (and eventually settled on the RIAA curve that we use today) that are applied when the record was cut - the phono preamp then applies the inverse EQ curve to 'normalize' the record. It's something ludicrous like a 40dB difference below 100Hz.

:science:

Also, OPS vol. 32 is done. I'm going to roll it tonight and then schedule the drop for tomorrow evening after my livestream. This one is mostly progressive house, I'm really enjoying stepping out of my comfort zone. Stay tuned in the DJ Mix/EDM threads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Speaker, are you guys getting to play with any of the new alphatheta garbage over at the music store thing?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Speaker, are you guys getting to play with any of the new alphatheta garbage over at the music store thing?

I'm sure we will at some point. Maybe not the wireless speaker though, although that might be the one about which I'm most curious. The Omnis-Duo rubs me the same wrong way as the Opus Quad.

We've barely been able to play around with any CDJs though. We'll see a pair come through rentals as a transfer from another store, and it's gone within hours. I got to touch a DJM-V10 once because someone was checking it in for repairs (lmao). I still want one despite what people are saying about it; my CDJs probably aren't going anywhere for a while but if I ever get out of debt (:smith:) the V10 is on my wishlist.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I like the idea of the portable thing because there’s very little chance I’m taking my cdjs on the go train, but it also feels way too big for a portable unless I’m a gigging dj.

Given that AT owns akai (I think??) I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen a mashup of the MPC Live with a pair of jogs and a fader. Or at least a mobile thing in the MPC live form factor.

E: basically a mobile ddj-200. Slap a lovely ARM and tiny LCD into that.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 29, 2024

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
You’ll pry my Kontrol s5 from my cold, dead hands

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Given that AT owns akai (I think??) I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen a mashup of the MPC Live with a pair of jogs and a fader. Or at least a mobile thing in the MPC live form factor.

Akai is inMusic, I only know this because inMusic send spam about it occasionally.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Whoops yes you’re absolutely right. I got my generic mega corps mixed up.

I made the connection between the MPCs and the Toriaz line from Pioneer even though they’re not really A/B.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Wooo, OPS vol. 32 is done in one take. I hosed up the metric modulation thing right at the end, and for some reason I'm still nervous as all hell but it was largely a good take. Trying some new mastering plugins to louden it up; Pro-Q 3 and Pro-L 2. The EQ is doing some dynamic stuff that might be unnecessary, and the limiter is supposed to be better than an L2 so I'm trying it at the end of the chain. Everything's running in linear phase/true peak/oversampling mode so the mix is taking forever to render, lol.

I'll give it a listen tonight and see if it's too blown out or if I'm unsatisfied with the blends, maybe run another take tomorrow, but either way it will go live tomorrow evening immediately after I stream something totally different.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Killer!

If you gently caress up the metric modulation just claim it’s imperial and call it a day.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

abuse culture. posted:

You’ll pry my Kontrol z1 from my cold, dead hands

Part of me thinks, that I was happiest when I just beat matched stuff with my Z1 instead of trying to "DJ for real".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I have fond memories of my 1st-gen Traktor S4, I was discovering new blends all the time and progressing to more comfortable four-deck sets. I also got way more gigs back then with my buddies. Maybe it's just general nostalgia for the Good Old Days, but the S4s are solid controllers and sometimes I think it'd be cool to go back to laptop DJing. The new ones are dope, even though I don't scrub my platters much at all the 'Haptic Feedback' on them is a really cool feature.

Oh yeah I used Sync for this mix. It came together really quickly and I just wanted to put it down, and my hands were largely busy with the EQs and using hotcues to manage this one, it's particularly harmonically dense and there's some melody overlap. Or maybe that's just another part of getting older; giving less of a poo poo.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 30, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have not-so-fond memories of trying to learn to DJ on a pair of Numark TT-100 decks back in 2001. Collecting music was amazingly fun, but I mean.. I'll be brutally honest. If I didn't have the conveniences of CDJs I think I'd be here.

That entire era just passed me by. I was much much happier being a consumer of DJs in the 90s and early 2000s than I was actually trying to be one.

I have amazing respect for people that can do it. I don't think it's something I couldn't learn, but at this point I don't think it's something I'd be willing to put the extra effort into. I'm happy with my digital doodads.

I do wish I hadn't sold my entire collection of records though.

e: Getting back to modern conveniences, actually. I've almost entirely relied on mixing in key to find good next tracks to flow into and plan my mini sets, but I actually don't really understand whether it's a rule (mixing out of key is more likely than not to sound jarring or "odd"), or whether it's just an easy way to find things that have the same "vibe" and nothing more? I think I asked that question in the most obtuse way. I think what I'm asking is, is mixing by key a crutch and am I unknowingly keeping myself from finding banger combinations by rigidly sticking with it? Right now if I want to move toward a certain track I have in mind, I tend to work my way down the key ladder. I actually don't know how much of a disservice I'm doing myself by not just trying to jump there faster and not obey the key progression etc etc.

I somehow feel it's still not a clear question but I'm letting it hang. I'd go down to the CDJs right now and try stringing some non-adjacent-key tracks together but I'm already winding down for the night. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 30, 2024

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

Hai guise, just recently found out theres this dj thread here! I only started like three years ago or something, but spinning records (or well mp3s...) was some sort of dream to me for 20 years so better late than never I guess. Just recently upgraded my home stuff from ddj-400 to denon sc live 4, been happy so far.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

psilo posted:

Hai guise, just recently found out theres this dj thread here! I only started like three years ago or something, but spinning records (or well mp3s...) was some sort of dream to me for 20 years so better late than never I guess. Just recently upgraded my home stuff from ddj-400 to denon sc live 4, been happy so far.

What's up, upgraded from DDJ-400 to Live 4 buddy? :dance:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGlfJBqDzv4

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I think what I'm asking is, is mixing by key a crutch and am I unknowingly keeping myself from finding banger combinations by rigidly sticking with it?

So, short version, yeah you are probably missing some sick combos. A couple things here to keep in mind:

1) even the best software for key detection is only accurate 80 to 90% of the time. Humans likewise make mistakes.

2) key isn’t a silver bullet for mixing. It’s a great starting point though.

3) There are more elements to a song that are important than just the key. Percussive elements are the obvious callout, but there are of course others.

Two songs might not be “key matched” but sound great together.

At the end of the day, do what sounds right. If you can’t find a song that’s “in key” with the current, ask yourself “what song would sound good with this track?”. It’s good to have both skills.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Yeah mitztronic is is bang on. The software is only right most of the time, there are other ways to mix harmonically than just the circle of fifths, and sometimes what you might expect to clash works.

To these points in order:
- I use both Mixed In Key AND Traktor/Rekordbox's integrated key analysis. Sometimes they disagree, so this affords one more avenue of potential options for transitions than you'd have if you only used one software's analysis.
- Mixing using the circle of fifths only works because adjacent keys share most of the same notes. Keys one step out from adjacent still share most of the same notes, just not as closely as perfectly-adjacent keys a fifth apart. I also can't explain this, but for some reason I sometimes have success with keys that are completely across the Camelot Wheel from one another (like 12A with 6A, can't remember which keys these are off top). I don't know enough about modes to tell you why this works but sometimes it does.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For example, 2 steps is a tone up or a tone down, mixing the two creates a tension/hip sort of pedal point sound which makes a transition sound really good as you pedal from one key into the "right" key and sounds dope a lot of the time.

But you probably couldn't run the songs together for 5 minutes in the mix.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

yeee, good into thanks. I probably should have figured that, but somehow I just kind of caught onto key mixing when I first started last year and didn't really think twice about it.

I'll try to expand past it in '24.

psilo
Oct 18, 2009

ledge posted:

What's up, upgraded from DDJ-400 to Live 4 buddy? :dance:

it's pretty great machine and packs bang for the :homebrew: I learned to mix with pioneer cdj's but nowadays, I mostly use denon sc6000s in a venue where I perform. So being familiar with both I don't have that "what about teh club standards :smith: " -problem.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Rekordbox 7 public beta dropped today. I'll probably wait until it's out of the oven but it LOOKS nicer and now has NATIVE apple silicon support (only years late, thanks AT).

Mainly won't be trying this out since it looks like library sync is disabled and I use that to move between whatever computer I'm sitting at. The "known issues" section basically reads as "stay away if you actually use this software".

https://rekordbox.com/en/2024/02/rekordbox-ver-7-beta/

e:

Looks like they cribbed some MiK functionality and added auto-cuepoint generation to track analysis.
"Recommended" playlists seem fairly neat.
The crowdsourced database of recommended tracks is pretty cool too. I assume it's basically the equivalent of clicking through a track to see "related" recommendations on beatport, etc. It would be killer if they could hook into something like 1001tracklists but I doubt there's any easy way to do that without fuzzy matching.

Between sync and recommended playlists, if they can figure out some way to automate the cue on my CDJs and the faders on my DJM they can just cut me, as a person, entirely out of the picture. joking, joking. i'm not actually complaining about conveniences no one is forcing me to use

e2: Looks like they're locking the cue stuff behind higher tier plans. Guess I'm keeping MiK for when I'm feeling lazy about coming up with cues.
e3: lmao holy poo poo so much "functionality" looks like it's being locked away behind subscription plans. Want to see your collection by date added or by genre? Get out that credit card!

AlphaTheta what the gently caress are you doing

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 8, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I had a big gig and finally used rekordbox to prep for the first time. Had everything analyzed and exported, went to sound check and USB was fine and had my playlist and track info and everything worked as intended, and when I actually started a few hours later whoops! It was like none of the songs had been analyzed and the playlist was gone. I panicked for a minute but remembered fear is the mind killer and I let the fear wash over me etc and ran it all by ear and it was fine. Any idea why the USB would gently caress up like that? I'm not super familiar with cdjs so I'm wondering if the person before me changed some setting. I'm pretty sure when I was done with sound check that I removed it properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Following grimes' lead I'm now looking to outsource my rekordbox bpm to someone else :lol:

resumes via DM thanks