Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

some kinda jackal posted:

Following grimes' lead I'm now looking to outsource my rekordbox bpm to someone else :lol:

resumes via DM thanks

I've legit thought about going into business doing this since my own track striping process is so thorough. I don't want to be inundated with more mind-numbing screen staring and hotkey pressing, but if the price is right...

Goddamn I'm so embarrassed for Grimes, she's so impossibly stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

i tried one of those 3rd party apps that merges MiK cuepoints and BPMs into your rekordbox library but it felt like such an incredible kludge that I wasn't having any of that.

But also now I import way way less filler music now that I established a base library and cancelled my ZipDJ pool subscription and actually pay for individual tracks, so it's way less of a hassle to just go through and set some easy and obvious cues vs processing 20 tracks a day, 18 of which I'm not really interested in but only grabbed to fill out an empty beginner library.

I really should go through and purge a lot from a year and change ago -- so much of it is same-y sounding dark brooding prog trance with no real points of interest beyond being "gritty" or something. Maybe a weekend project for the summer.

Mister Speaker posted:

she's so impossibly stupid.
I mean, maybe I'm wrong, maybe she should outsource rekordbox then lol

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I would pay real money to have someone organize my insane folder structure and tag all my poo poo with genres and moods etc. I also tried one of those programs that claims to do that, but it was so fuckin janky and bad

Luckily I do all my prep in traitor so at least the beat gridding and key detection is generally spot on. We will not talk about the auto gain

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 17, 2024

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The sad part about grimes is if she just never said anything and did some.basic transitions like echo out or whatever no one would've noticed or cared

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The craziest part is she clearly never practiced/rehersed, as if she had it would've been obvious something was wrong with the outsourced rekordbox USB. I can't imagine not practicing even once for a festival that big, especially if I didn't have the skills to handle something as basic as BPM analysis on the fly.

Then again maybe the point was for people to notice and care...

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Need some ideas from the gear heads in the thread.

So I've been DJing for my local swing dancer scene for a while and I'm thinking about upgrading my kit.

Currently I've just been using my old HP Spectre laptop, using Mixxx for the software and piping it into a Sony XP500 party speaker. It's an extremely basic setup, but functional for what we do.

Right now we primarily play in a mid-sized Ballroom for about 20ish people, plus the occasional outdoor event for a small crowd and it's been fine for those, but kind of at the limit of what it can play for. When the speaker is on battery power in the outdoor events it cuts the output pretty significantly and I've got to really crank the gain in software to get it back up, which kills the audio quality.

I've been thinking about upgrading the speakers, but need some help picking something.

Primary considerations:
- Something with an internal battery. If we're playing / dancing at outdoor events more often than not we do not have access to power so we need something that can run on internals
- Emphasis on clarity in the mid and highs. It's all vintage jazz, lots of horns and woodwinds, not really any heavy driving bass.
- Easy to pack in and out. Needs to fit in the back of my Nissan Kicks. Would prefer sub-50lbs or wheeled to spare my back.

Secondary Considerations, not mandatory but nice to have:
- Built in PA / mixing. It's not a hot need, but it would be nice if we had the ability to plug in a wireless lav system to it eventually for dance teachers / Emcees
- Modular - if we can't get a single big battery speaker, a few smaller ones wired or software synced together.
- Weather resilient - we do outdoor gigs in Kansas and while we wouldn't be dancing in a tornado, it should at least be resistant enough to water and dust for occasional outdoor usage

The comedy option I was thinking about was getting a Sony xp800 and using party sync to link it up to the old XP500 and have a two speaker system but I get that having significantly different speakers like that would probably cut into audio quality. The JBL Partybox 320 also straight up has a line out and can just be wired into another speaker. But I also get those are really not gigging speakers either.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mackie has the Thump Go and Freeplay Live that seem to tick a lot of boxes. I haven't used either myself.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
It's hard to go wrong with the JBL Eon series. They're practically designed for what you want to do and they have a battery version.

Keep in mind that the battery versions of speakers are usually smaller and won't match the SPL of an AC powered speaker.

edit: I guess also check out the IRX series, they're cheaper... I probably wouldn't go smaller than 12".

Also the cheapest best upgrade is getting stands for whatever speakers you end up buying. Getting speakers off the floor and at or above ear level makes a huge difference. Bodies are really good at absorbing sound.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2024

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

You might also consider separating the battery requirements by investing in a portable rechargeable power station (basically a giant lithium battery with a built in inverter)

This would open up more options for the speakers and other gear by not having to shop for only battery-powered versions

Edit: Anker is a brand I’ve trusted for a while now. They make several models with built in or separate solar panels for charging as well

Something like this: https://a.co/d/6PUoibi

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2024

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

qirex posted:

Mackie has the Thump Go and Freeplay Live that seem to tick a lot of boxes. I haven't used either myself.

The Thump Go seems really, really intriguing. Especially after watching this review: https://youtu.be/IAvh6UsJZ_A?si=SQnbXKRV-nb96Bg-

They are smaller than what I was expecting, but at the price point I can just get two and XLR them into each other like the reviewer did. Doubly so when compared to what I was originally looking at (JBL partybox 320, at $600).

It looks like my local Guitar center has them in stock. I might need to pay them a visit this afternoon.

Edit: If I'm looking to push into the $800 range, they have the Mackie Showbox. It's a bigger system and has a breakaway mixer and some more bells and whistles, but a fair number of them are more band / recording focused and I don't know if it'd get used. Kind of a question if I'm better off having a pair of 200w speakers or a single 400w.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 22, 2024

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

qirex posted:

the party crew i work with used Thump Go for our events for our...clandestine...parties for two yeas and upgraded as quickly as we could. the high end on them is AWFUL. we currently use yorkville exm and the difference is like night and day. but best case scenario is real-rear end no-battery speakers hooked up to a converted RV battery, which is just insanely heavy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Also Yorkville EXM gang. I might as well be contractually obligated to rep them, but for real they're pretty solid as far as battery-powered PA speakers go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike Cartwright
Oct 29, 2011

state of the art

abuse culture. posted:

I would pay real money to have someone organize my insane folder structure and tag all my poo poo with genres and moods etc. I also tried one of those programs that claims to do that, but it was so fuckin janky and bad

Luckily I do all my prep in traitor so at least the beat gridding and key detection is generally spot on. We will not talk about the auto gain

Will sound like a boomer here, but as a mostly raised on vinyl DJ that prefers to play on CDJs when I play out, I've found that reducing the amount of stuff you have + just relegating some tracks to an archival drive works as a treat. if I play out, I like to keep a rule that I'm not bringing more than 2x the tracks on digital as if I would have brought vinyl. end up with like 200 tracks max per gig, works for me when I'm getting overloaded.