Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I just got accepted into the ClubKillers.com record pool, it's probably the best record pool there is and I reccomend that everyone fill out an application to get in. They got a lot of amazing stuff in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Professorbx posted:

The Xone:22 is a stupidly good budget mixer, and the thing is, even their "cheap" mixers are built to the standard of their expensive units.

in my experience, and after looking around on the internet afterwards, the xone 22 and 42 are total pieces of poo poo. ive seen like 5 FIVE seperate xone 22s fail from DIFFERENT causes. unacceptable.

Cowboy. posted:

Are you one of those people that can just figure out the key on your own, or do you painstakingly find it with a keyboard, or do you use something like mixedinkey?

I ask because I can't decide if mixedinkey is vapourware (despite all the endorsements) or a worthwhile investment - or if I should just train my ear somehow.

be aware that mixed in keys and whatever the other one is called will rape you id3 tags. if you use serato they will ruin all your whitelabel songs and gently caress your library up from messing with the song tags. i cant loving believe they dont mention that before you use it!

i think just listening and determining if the songs mix well or not is the best way to harmonic mix.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I just got accepted into the ClubKillers.com record pool, it's probably the best record pool there is and I reccomend that everyone fill out an application to get in. They got a lot of amazing stuff in there.

dj alex dreamz?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

in my experience, and after looking around on the internet afterwards, the xone 22 and 42 are total pieces of poo poo. ive seen like 5 FIVE seperate xone 22s fail from DIFFERENT causes. unacceptable.

Then Pioneer must be absolute rubish.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Sjoewe posted:

Working in the industry as a designer and product manager, I can tell you-while A&H may have bad runs, no one can touch them when it comes to product durability. Everyone has bad runs-poo poo, look at Rane, they have had plenty of bad runs of TTM56's and 64's. It is the average that matters. A&H is the biz.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
STOP LEECHING IMAGES, DICKFACE
Sounds like the general consensus (save for 1) is that A&H is the way forward. Going to to go sell left testicle brb. :smith:

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!
Personally I prefer Rapid Evolution to mixed in key since it essentially does the same thing for free and has a better interface and library capabilities

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Hello all,

I've been getting into DJ'ing since september '10 using a controller, the Reloop Digital Jockey Interface Edition 2. It's an alright starter-kit, I suppose. It's specifically designed to be used with Traktor, and all the faders, knobs and buttons on the controller can be mapped to your own liking. I am slowly getting better and have been practicing beatmatching like no tomorrow. I've turned the BPM meters off in Traktor, but left the pitch meters on.

The thing that's annoying me, is the fact that the pitch detection in Traktor is shoddy at best. If I slightly move the pitchfaders up or down, the increase or decrease in pitch can vary from 0.1% to 0.3%, or whatever Traktor feels like. This makes beatmatching on hearing alone trickier than I feel it should be. Not to mention the fact that if you've left the pitchfaders untouched after you think you've beatmatched two songs, Traktor sometimes adds up 0.1% pitch to the deck you've last adjusted, regardless of your input.

I've had the pleasure of spinning on Pioneer CDJ-450s, and must say I dig the pitchfaders on these, as they lock into place for every 0.05% pitch increase. Should I save up for these decks, or consider saving up for something else entirely? And how long did it take you guys to reliably beatmatch using hearing alone?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cynicus posted:

The thing that's annoying me, is the fact that the pitch detection in Traktor is shoddy at best. If I slightly move the pitchfaders up or down, the increase or decrease in pitch can vary from 0.1% to 0.3%, or whatever Traktor feels like. This makes beatmatching on hearing alone trickier than I feel it should be. Not to mention the fact that if you've left the pitchfaders untouched after you think you've beatmatched two songs, Traktor sometimes adds up 0.1% pitch to the deck you've last adjusted, regardless of your input.

It should be noted that this isn't Traktor, it's your MIDI controller, since using MIDI it only has 128 "steps" that it can use.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

oredun posted:

be aware that mixed in keys and whatever the other one is called will rape you id3 tags. if you use serato they will ruin all your whitelabel songs and gently caress your library up from messing with the song tags. i cant loving believe they dont mention that before you use it!

Depends on how you configure it. I just have it set the key in front of the end of the comment field and it's given me no trouble (in Traktor or Serato)

quote:

i think just listening and determining if the songs mix well or not is the best way to harmonic mix.

This is definitely a true statement. Any software solution is only a guide, not the end-all-be-all. Like I said, the accuracy will never be perfect so ultimately you need to use your ears

Ben and Stew posted:

Personally I prefer Rapid Evolution to mixed in key since it essentially does the same thing for free and has a better interface and library capabilities

I played with it and didn't much care for it. I don't need a library management app and all the other stuff that felt kinda clunky to me. I believe it's accuracy is about the same as MIK's (around 80%)

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Does anyone know of a good mass tagging app for OSX?

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
This is kind of irrelevant and also kind of a shameless plug, but if any of you goons happen to live in So-cal, or near santa barbara, I'm doing an all day festival with Spencer and Hill, Passion Pit, E-40, etc, and if any of you would love to come out that would be awesome. http://fla.vor.us/186236-Good-Vibes-tickets/Good-Vibes-Santa-Barbara-Earl-Warren-Showgrounds-March-26-2011.html

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

What? Pioneer is some of the most reliable gear money can buy. I dont know if this is some smartass comment or what you are even talking about. We are talking about 300$ dollar mixers not xone92s.

These xones have broken in like 2 weeks after being purchased. If you scour the web youll see that not only do the 22s fail at an amazing rate, the 42s fail quite often as well. They cheapass chinese poo poo, and yeah, agree it may just be working the kinks out for the first production, but i for one will not pay to be a beta tester. A&H has lost me as a customer for the DJ equipment thats for sure (their real mixers are great tho), and i couldnt in good faith recommend them to anyone.

Crazy C posted:

Sounds like the general consensus (save for 1) is that A&H is the way forward. Going to to go sell left testicle brb. :smith:

dude, it costs $300. Thats as cheap as DJ mixers get. Just make sure you buy the stupid warranty, i would bet your mixer will break before it runs out.

Ben and Stew posted:

Do you ever actually check to see if its right? I used it and not only did you ruin all my ID3 tags, well over half the keys were completely wrong.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010

oredun posted:

dude, it costs $300. Thats as cheap as DJ mixers get. Just make sure you buy the stupid warranty, i would bet your mixer will break before it runs out.

Is this for a Xone 2?

It's about $550 equivalent where I live. Which for us is the monthly paycheck for an administration job as sad as it sounds. I'm a poor dirty bastard :smith:

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

oredun posted:

What? Pioneer is some of the most reliable gear money can buy. I dont know if this is some smartass comment or what you are even talking about. We are talking about 300$ dollar mixers not xone92s.

These xones have broken in like 2 weeks after being purchased. If you scour the web youll see that not only do the 22s fail at an amazing rate, the 42s fail quite often as well. They cheapass chinese poo poo, and yeah, agree it may just be working the kinks out for the first production, but i for one will not pay to be a beta tester. A&H has lost me as a customer for the DJ equipment thats for sure (their real mixers are great tho), and i couldnt in good faith recommend them to anyone.

Do you ever actually check to see if its right? I used it and not only did you ruin all my ID3 tags, well over half the keys were completely wrong.

Pioneers fail a stupid amount, way more than I have ever seen A&H mixers fail. Cracking them open, the build quality is nothing special as well, and Pioneer still can't figure out how to do a loving replaceable fuse power supply.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Crazy C posted:

Is this for a Xone 2?

It's about $550 equivalent where I live. Which for us is the monthly paycheck for an administration job as sad as it sounds. I'm a poor dirty bastard :smith:

Xone 22. It is the cheaper 2 channel that lacks the curve on all 3 faders, but has a filter.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

What? Pioneer is some of the most reliable gear money can buy. I dont know if this is some smartass comment or what you are even talking about.

Well I replied to your remark that you hearing of five broken midrange Xone's should indicate that they are all bad. If that is the logic you're applying, then Pioneer must be rubbish as I've seen dozens of them fail over the past few years. Even the retailers get fed up with it, making profit for Pioneer, talking someone in to a $1800,- DJM800, but having to deal with angry customers time and time again as the powerunit, or DSP fails within two years. (And don't get me started on the quality of the CDJ's) This shop-owner literally said to me: 'Well if they are determined to buy a Pioneer, I'll sell it to them, but if anyone openminded walks in, I'll advice them an Ecler or an Allen&Heath over a Pioneer every time."

But I'm not here to defend any brand, just to repeat what professorbx already implied, every manufacturer has its bad production runs, that's not a good thing, but it happens. Still by internal circuitry design and the quality of components that are used, A&H is at the top of the game, while Pioneer keeps putting these cheap parts in their supposed to be highend mixers.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 18, 2011

Cynicus
May 1, 2008

owling furies.

Chitin posted:

It should be noted that this isn't Traktor, it's your MIDI controller, since using MIDI it only has 128 "steps" that it can use.

Boo. :(

Is there any way to work around this, or do I have to just accept it until I'm able to afford better gear?

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Cynicus posted:

Is there any way to work around this, or do I have to just accept it until I'm able to afford better gear?

The latter, sadly. I'm right there with ya.

Crazy C
Dec 3, 2010
The things you love are never cheap are they.

Ben and Stew
Mar 31, 2006

Woah!

oredun posted:

Well I don't know how "I" ruined your tags ;) It's at least as accurate as Mixed In Key. Of course there are always a few wrong one's, usually mistaking major/minor or one semitone off. Yeah be careful with tagging though, best to get a hang of the read and write functions as well as the automatic sorting and tagging things. I just hand write all of my tags and hit "write" and it does fine.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Cynicus posted:

Actually there is, map a modifier/shift key (M1), and set the pitchfader under (M1) as 'fine pitch'.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I like my DJM 800, but like anyone I had to replace the faders because stock pioneer faders are beyond poo poo quality. I was really hoping that the 68 would be great but it failed the Rane quality test for the sheer amount of problems people are still having with it. I haven't seen the inside of the new 900, but I assume that it will still have a lot of problems the 800 has because Pioneer is retarded.

VVVVV Wow. Probably gonna get pushed back even further with the Tsunami issue going on too.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 19, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Not to start a Pioneer-rant, but quality issues with the DJM-900 have already started before it even became available to retailers. The delivery date of the DJM-900 has been pushed back by more than a month, because if you plug in a headphone with a high impedance (read any other than the Pioneer ones), the DSP shuts down the entire unit. :suicide:

That's about the stupidest thing I heared since Technics forgot to put a cue-volume control on the first run of their supposed to be 'ultra high tech' SH-MZ1200

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 19, 2011

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I have a demo mix ready to send out to local clubs. Should I title it 2011 Promo Mix or give it an actual album-y title? Also, any dos/donts for getting my foot in the door? The club I was playing at closed and I want to keep DJing live but I have no contacts. Unfortunately I'm going in cold and any advice would be awesome :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
The name of the mix doesn't really matter. Promo 2011 is fine, as is any title, as long as it's not "Überawesome Spring Party Mix". Most likely anyone listening to your mix won't pay attention to the title to begin with. The actual contents of the mix are what matters, if it's an interesting mix, you might get noticed.

Don't be too agressive in promoting yourself with a new club, but at the same time don't wait for them to take all the initiative. Give them your tape and if you don't hear from them within one week call the person you gave it (ask for a number) to and ask if he's had the chance to check it out yet. Personal contact is everything here, don't just drop an e-mail, they might get 50 of those each week.

Visit the club you aim at playing at a number of times before handing out a demo, chat with the DJ if possible and, assuming he/she is not a huge rear end in a top hat, ask him how he got settled there. Maybe also give him/her your demo, not just the promoter or owner. They usually know very little about music and will often ask current residents if your mix is any good.

Finally, expect nothing. I don't know where you live and if there's a large clubscene or not, but my experience is that there are numerous people out there just like you that want to play somewhere. You'll need something that sets you apart from everyone else (your music naturally or your mixing skills), a fair bit of luck, and a network of people. It may take time, but it could also happen really fast. One particularly good way to get in is to offer being a back-up DJ; if they ever need a good DJ fast for whatever reason, they can call you. Once they do; be there and kill it! Opportunities like that are rare, but they are the best way to get started.

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Hello DJgoons.

I have no idea how to introduce myself properly so ill just ramble on and hope an explanation comes out of it.

I started DJing about 6 years ago when i started getting very heavy into the Hardcore/Darkcore/Gabber genres and decided I should start buying the vinyl releases of tracks since thats what all the jaded rave DJs told me to start out on. So after importing all the newest vinyl and my bank account thoroughly drained, I started mixing with a couple friends who had done the same (only one of us was smart enough to buy sound equipment :v:) I had school and work and other things preoccupying my time prior to spending all this moeny, so I had very little time to teach myself how to DJ. for the longest time I would keep importing vinyl and not once did I sit down and learn to beatmatch the tracks I already had. when mixing with my friends, their transitions would get better and better, while mine were almost always straight volume cuts, which sound horrible. That, and that whole "not knowing how to beatmatch-by-ear thing still hadnt come to me yet.

a few years down the line I started messing with Virtual DJ because I no longer had financial means to spend/save for an sort of tables or sound output. and when I saw the wave form of the tracks I was spinning, after a while something 'clicked' and I got what beatmatching was. slowly i started mixing on VDJ more and more and more (I am a horribly slow learner if you havnt guessed). I practiced and practiced whenever I could spare a moment.

as the years went by i started getting into other forms of electronica, mainly breakcore, speedcore and most anything with distorted kick drums and amen choppage. nowadays I am still using Virtual DJ, my mixes still suck because I dont really have a way of seperating headphone audio and main-out audio (or I am too dumb to notice how), but I can mix gabber a ton better than when I started out. layed with a buddy's S4 and am tempted to pick one up (and add on the timecode vinyl control) now that I am back to having financial means to do so.

tl;dr I am a slow learner, but I know how to beatmatch (for the most part) also the S4 rocks.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Thanks for all the advice Rivfader! I'm in Taipei, Taiwan, and I think the language barrier might be my biggest hurdle. I think my demo is solid and as soon as the album art is done I'm going to head out and start making contacts.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Two things:

About the DDJ-T1 versus S4, I was playing with both of them earlier today at Guitar Center, and I have to say I like the S4 a lot better. It's sleeker, built better, and doesn't feel as clunky as the T1. The T1 just feels really... plasticy, if that makes sense. But take this with a grain of salt, I've been DJing for less than 2 months and am a complete rookie to all of this, which leads me to my second thing:

Are there any videos of DJs playing complete sets, with a view of the mixer and all the stuff they're doing? I feel like if I could just get a good look of what someone is doing during a typical night I could learn tons. Hell, if any of you guys just ran FRAPS or something during a set and uploaded it somewhere that would be fricking amazing (although I imagine FRAPS might give some problems with Audio latency and what not). In either case, a video of someone DJing like they normally do would be an awesome resource.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

The Dark Wind posted:

Are there any videos of DJs playing complete sets, with a view of the mixer and all the stuff they're doing? I feel like if I could just get a good look of what someone is doing during a typical night I could learn tons. Hell, if any of you guys just ran FRAPS or something during a set and uploaded it somewhere that would be fricking amazing (although I imagine FRAPS might give some problems with Audio latency and what not). In either case, a video of someone DJing like they normally do would be an awesome resource.

Check out B@ TV, they record sets from a number of different DJ's and include a view from the booth.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Rivfader posted:

Check out B@ TV, they record sets from a number of different DJ's and include a view from the booth.

This is a pretty sweet link. Are there any videos in particular you'd recommend to watch? Some are pretty hard to see what's going on either due to distance or lighting.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Here's some videos Pioneer did that are overhead views of the dj. The videos are almost a year old but I think they're still pretty good.

Youtube:
Laidback Luke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBs9Qa3rPv0

Roger Sanchez - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiQSAu-100

Fergie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLfWsMBxwA

They also have links to the Pioneer's website that have the whole set in one video if you'd prefer.

chrix
Jan 3, 2004

Football man, the guy with the football plan

The Dark Wind posted:

It's Drum & Bass, but here's a video I made for fun a few weeks ago that's all overhead: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13029906

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

Here's a two hour video of me broadcasting from Beatport's HQ here in Denver back in December. They had one camera pointed down so you could see what I'm doing. Unfortunately no capture of the screen though: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/11362500

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Nice thread gents, I've been reading this and various other sites for a good long while in order to get my head around things and there's been a stack of highly useful info in this one and I appreciate that.

On Friday I take delivery of some Pioneer CDJ 350s and for now a pretty much 'free when you buy two CDJs' Gemini 3 channel mixer. I've decided to go with the 350s after much deliberation due to the versatility of them as well as the fact a decent laptop plus an S4 is the same sort of coin anyway... I like the option of just throwing discs in it should I need to or just busting out some USB sticks and keeping it neat and tidy.

I'd like to think I have a pretty good ear for beat patterns and such, how long did it take you to get somewhat proficient at this? I'll only be playing for myself here at the moment though a friend is fairly keen to have me spin some stuff for his indie record label nights at some point.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

net work error posted:

Here's some videos Pioneer did that are overhead views of the dj. The videos are almost a year old but I think they're still pretty good.

Youtube:
Laidback Luke - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBs9Qa3rPv0

Roger Sanchez - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kiQSAu-100

Fergie - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLfWsMBxwA

They also have links to the Pioneer's website that have the whole set in one video if you'd prefer.

I've been in the hospital for 4 days now after not being able to dj for almost 2 weeks, this is making me really happy. Thank you! :D

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
http://soundcloud.com/invision250/rebecca-black-vs-bassnectar

used ns7's + itch.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Lots of key clashing going on in there

Hey anyone by chance used the new innofader pro? I think my current one is on it's way out from prying it open and cleaning it too much.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The dj mixes thread is over here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995

This thread is for discussion of gear/technique/etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defect Mechanism
Jun 2, 2005
Pants McGee's Shoost Butan
Decided to pick up an s4 last night. Didn't have awhole lot of time to tinker with it before passing out from lack of sleep, but eh. Now that I have one I can finally work on mixing new tracks, as well as retweaking my old mixes so they are mixed properly instead of "hurr durr I don't have a way of cueing in the headphones, guess ill do without and hope it doesn't sound muddy".