Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
I'd be up for another mix competition even though the last one kind of bummed out. I like the idea of the supermegamix, but it would require one person to put quite a lot of time into it, both into the eventual putting together as well as coordinating who gets whose mix. A D&B guy can't work with a set by a deep house DJ. Still, should be possible.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

As for music, I hate to be really cliche, but I love every genre of music. Pandora is a god send for me. Also really useful for finding new artist by the way.

Lately I've been doing what most kids my age do and listening to alot of dubstep. I never took to time to actually listen to the genre until recently. I can see why everyone likes it to much. Heavy basslines, catchy drums/kicks/snare, crazy drops back into more heavy bass.

I've been stuck with Rusko and Chase & Status for a bit. Anybody know of any one else I should be keeping my ear on?

Check labels, they are the best way of discovering more new music similar to the artists you're into. So check out on Beatport what labels Rusko and Chase & Status have released their stuff on and then just click through. There's bound to be some artist with a release on the same label that you like. Then simply repeat the process. It takes time, a lot of time but it will expand your musical horizon enormously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Yessss, about time we had this discussion again. It's still the best there is, especially because it always ends with one side going "say whatever you want I still think that if you can't (add random variable) you ain't no real DJ" and the other stating "it's all about the music and if I DJ using a lawnmower then who are you to judge me".

I'm going to sound like an internet moral knight right now but I think this debate is pointless and does more damage than good. It's all about somehow justifying your own views and methods (of DJ-ing) whilst bashing, either in a nice or a not so nice way, the approach other people go for. Who cares? Who cares what other people use for DJ-ing, who cares if other people do nothing more than download the Beatport Top 10 for whatever genre they like, play it and get gigs in clubs? Who cares if they've never ever touched a 1200 or a CDJ and don't know jack about beatmatching? The audience sure doesn't, that much everyone can agree upon. And neither should anyone else, not even if you're a DJ yourself.

Giving a poo poo about what people use to play records (because hey, that's still what we all do) and getting all purist over it just shows insecurity about your own choice of gear/music/venues/whatever. Instead of spending time critizing other DJ's, attacking sync-guys for not being proper DJ's or saying vinyl is outdated and done for, invest that time in a) improving your own skills or b) finding music that not many people play. If you're good enough, you'll get noticed in the end.

Nobody is going to book you because you are some kind of gear purist that hates on other DJ's.

Rivfader fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Mar 8, 2011

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
The name of the mix doesn't really matter. Promo 2011 is fine, as is any title, as long as it's not "Überawesome Spring Party Mix". Most likely anyone listening to your mix won't pay attention to the title to begin with. The actual contents of the mix are what matters, if it's an interesting mix, you might get noticed.

Don't be too agressive in promoting yourself with a new club, but at the same time don't wait for them to take all the initiative. Give them your tape and if you don't hear from them within one week call the person you gave it (ask for a number) to and ask if he's had the chance to check it out yet. Personal contact is everything here, don't just drop an e-mail, they might get 50 of those each week.

Visit the club you aim at playing at a number of times before handing out a demo, chat with the DJ if possible and, assuming he/she is not a huge rear end in a top hat, ask him how he got settled there. Maybe also give him/her your demo, not just the promoter or owner. They usually know very little about music and will often ask current residents if your mix is any good.

Finally, expect nothing. I don't know where you live and if there's a large clubscene or not, but my experience is that there are numerous people out there just like you that want to play somewhere. You'll need something that sets you apart from everyone else (your music naturally or your mixing skills), a fair bit of luck, and a network of people. It may take time, but it could also happen really fast. One particularly good way to get in is to offer being a back-up DJ; if they ever need a good DJ fast for whatever reason, they can call you. Once they do; be there and kill it! Opportunities like that are rare, but they are the best way to get started.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

The Dark Wind posted:

Are there any videos of DJs playing complete sets, with a view of the mixer and all the stuff they're doing? I feel like if I could just get a good look of what someone is doing during a typical night I could learn tons. Hell, if any of you guys just ran FRAPS or something during a set and uploaded it somewhere that would be fricking amazing (although I imagine FRAPS might give some problems with Audio latency and what not). In either case, a video of someone DJing like they normally do would be an awesome resource.

Check out B@ TV, they record sets from a number of different DJ's and include a view from the booth.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
For those of you into techno; Rolando, the one from Detroit is live on our radio show right now.

Tune in if you like: https://www.xt3radio.nl/player

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Cowboy. posted:

There's an Allen & Heath Xone 62 for sale in my 'hood for 600 dollars, good deal, or average deal?

I've offered the dude 500 since I've seen them go for that after a little research online.

If you can get it for 500 it's a good deal, depending ofcourse on the state it's in. If you can check it out and play with it before spending money that would be a very good thing. It's A&H so the buildquality is top notch, but their stuff is subject to wear and tear just like any other gear.

Remember though that the 62 is somewhat "the odd one out" in the A&H line-up because it falls in between the newer 42 and 92 models. It also lacks an FX-unit (has awesome filters to compensate), like any other Xone model so if you were looking forward to flanging the gently caress out of every track, you'll be disappointed.

If you can save some more money it might be worth looking around for a used Xone:92. I own one now, and it's the best mixer I've ever had (went through Stanton, Pioneer and Ecler).

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Le0 posted:

I'm finally going to buy a macbook pro 15'', as for the customisation I'm going to get the Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display and the applecare plan.
I'd like to run an S4 and Traktor with that, should I get something else, like a better hdd or something else or will it be fine?
I'll be using it at gigs and stuff of course.

The only other upgrade you could consider is going for a SSD harddrive, but it's no necessity. Standard 7200 RPM HD will do just fine.

Other than that a new Macbook will run what you want like a charm.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Le0 posted:

Thanks, I heard that it would be better and cheaper to just get a standard SSD which isn't as expensive as the apple ones and install it yourself, is that correct?

Also at the moment I have the 5400 RPM HD, would that cripple me or would it suffice? The 7200 is more expensive

I didn't thought about getting a Macbook instead of a Macbook pro, would you advise me to go the Macbook or Macbook pro route?

If you're going to go for an SSD definitely buy one yourself and install it, never upgrade with Apple, they unfortunately charge too much. Simply leave the basic 5400 RPM in and switch it out yourself (same goes for a normal 7200 RPM).

With regards to 5400 vs 7200 RPM, the latter is preferable and the difference in read and load speeds is noticeable, albeit not to the point where it's absolutely mandatory. Traktor has a buffer, meaning that once a song is loaded in the disk speed no longer matters. It simply affects the time it will take for Traktor to start-up, songs to load and new stuff to be copied etc.

I'd advise getting a Macbook Pro, if only for the 15' screen which is preferable over the 13' of the White Macbook. Spec-wise they'll both do fine.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Le0 posted:

awesome bit of advice there sir, thanks a lot

No problem. One more thing, the harddrives in the current Macbooks (white and Pro) are no longer super-easily user replaceable because of the new uni-body design. In older White macbooks it was a matter of taking the battery out and then simply pulling the harddrive out and sliding a new one back in, alas no longer.

However, it's still relatively easy. Watch this video to see how it's done and if that scares you off, you might want to consider paying that extra amount of money after all.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

vanilla slimfast posted:

The ghetto way I've done this successfully is with thick rubber bands wrapped around tall ashtrays to make suspension feet for the turntables. It's tricky as gently caress to play on turntables rigged up this way though because they move and bounce a lot

??? I replaced the HDD in my first gen unibody pro 15" very easily. It's right underneath the back cover panel next to the battery.

The only thing that sucked was trying to get those loving torx no 6 screws out

e: I ran traktor for years on a stock 5400 rpm drive with no issues. Only reason I upgraded recently was because I ran out of space

I know. :) I said it's still relatively easy (as the video also shows), it's just no longer an instant-switch which it was for the older Macbooks. You need screwdrivers and the willingness to open up your Mac and I can understand if someone feels uncomfortable about doing that. I guess we can all be glad it's nothing compared to the first generation non-unibody Macbook Pro's though, which required taking out the keyboard and about a gazillion screws.

I ran Traktor on a 5400 as well and it worked fine, the 7200 RPM just makes a noticeable overall difference.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

Splinter posted:

Apple's SSD prices are actually pretty reasonable. Upgrading to a 128GB SSD from a low end 15" is $200. That's around how much you'll have to pay to buy a similar sized SSD online. A 3rd party drive might be slightly faster than what Apple gives you, but either will be such an improvement over a mechanical drive that you're not likely to notice the difference. Upgrading through Apple also saves the hassle of installing the drive/osx as soon as it arrives, and Apple will support it if you have any issues with the drive. The SSD upgrade is only ~$100 if you get a high end 15", which is a great deal.

I hadn't noticed they dropped the installation price for the 128 GB, used to be higher. You're definitely right $200 is indeed a reasonable price for a SSD. :)

The argument about support from Apple is a good one, but my experience is that going to Apple for service often means handing in your Mac for at least a few days. Personally I'd rather have the warranty from the HDD manufacturer and put in a back-up drive (I have my music Time-Machined onto a USB-laptop drive) while waiting for my replacement to arrive.

Also, just to point out to Le0 installing 3rd party hardware does not void your Applecare. The warranty for the drive will simply be taken over by the manufacturer of the new drive. :)

I guess what we're saying is:

- If you don't like the idea of fiddling with your Mac in any way; let Apple do it.
- If you don't mind the idea of fiddling with your Mac and decide to go for a normal 7200 RPM; buy one for around 50 bucks yourself and install it. This will save you 50 bucks, but will also cost you direct warranty from Apple as it will be taken over by the manufacturer.
- Let Apple do your HDD upgrade if you're going for a SSD.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

The Dark Wind posted:

Just a quick question for the more experienced fellas, but what's the way to chain song drops, like say in house or drum and bass? A lot of the big DJs I know will just play song drop after drop after drop, then a breakdown for a bit, followed by more drops. Is this just already having certain cue points established in advance for those songs? Or is there something else they're doing that you can do on the fly and keep that energy going? I feel like most songs have such long intros that as soon as a drop hits from song A, if I start up song B at the intro, by the time song B hits the drop song A has already gone into a breakdown. I hope that made sense.

It's either, as you said, pre-set (hot)cue's that you trigger at the right moment or it's simply skipping the entire intro of a track and mixing it in a few bars before another drop, using loops if necessary. Mostly these guys will know what songs work well together and do the same transitions often, especially if it's done with a non-laptop setup.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Everything's pretty much been said already, so I'll just mention this article: http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

RA Feature on the art of being an opening DJ, read it.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

That Wicked Walrus posted:

Not sure if this even applies to you, but being confident or faking it can mean a lot... if you look like you're supposed to be behind the decks, are having a good time, don't flip out when you trainwreck, people will be way more into it. It's like, Skrillex isn't actually doing too much when he flips out over turning a knob on his controller, but people love that poo poo... not that you have to emulate Skrillex, but the idea of being kind of a performer as opposed to just a dude playing records can work well.

Good advice. Focus on getting your poo poo right musically and not messing up too badly. Don't be too nervous about transitions being a bit off or not working out exactly the way you planned. If your track selection is decent people will most likely either not hear or not care.

If it's a cross-genre thing it might not be the best idea to only play underground hip-hop though. Mix some poo poo people know or that's in line with the evening in there to keep it going and if you notice the floor doesn't respond to hiphop at all it might be wise to switch to some different stuff. Nothing worse than seeing a dancefloor slowing emptying out and people looking at you like "we don't like this, you suck".

For as far as the Skrillex part goes, I hate it when I see DJ's do that, but that's because we as DJ's know they're not doing anything (interesting) at all and just want to look like loving rockstars. I don't know if you know Surgeon but he looks like he's building a website when DJ-ing, yet delivers the best, most solid techno-sets you'll ever hear. To each his own I guess.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
For those interested, Delta Funktionen will be doing a live DJ-set on our radioshow in about 30 minutes from now.

Check it out if you feel like it: https://www.xt3radio.nl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Ah, the usual my mixer is better than yours hating fun times!

In my opinion it basically comes down to this:

What genre do you play and what kind of mixing do you want to able to do?

If you play music that requires fast mixing and that will benefit from a decent amount of varying FX (or if you simply want to be able to put a flanger on almost anything), then your choices are:

- DJM 700/800 - "Club Standard" along with the Xone:92. Idiot-proof, anyone can use it, simple, acceptable EQ, some pretty nice effects and useful filters. Almost no learning curve.

- Denon X1700 - Technically and component-wise a better mixer than the Pioneer, but you'll be faced with having to either carry the thing with you everywhere or play on a piece of Pioneer kit after all.

- Denon X1600 - Smaller, much cheaper brother of the 1700. Pretty much comparable with Pioneer DJM 700. Again technically, feature and component wise a better mixer, but to be found nowhere. Steeper learning curve like the 1700 as well.

If you play music that requires long, smooth transitions, you don't care about FX or use software to apply them and want full control over your music EQ-wise:

- Xone:92. Best mixer I've ever owned. Wonderful EQ, brilliant filters and great durability. Steep learning curve and it takes a lot of getting used to. Also the only mixer you're likely to find (sadly more often than not collecting dust) in any decent club next to the ever-present DJM-800.

Then there's Ecler who make truly great mixers (still handmade in Spain), but they are very much love 'em or hate 'em and even less likely to be present anywhere. I'm not familiar with Mackie, I do know however that outside of the U.S., where they are quite big, they are virtually a non-existent brand when it comes to DJ-gear (not including speakers). Rane is good, but expensive and still mainly focused on scratch DJ's.