Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

actionjackson posted:

I usually do deep house mixes, but I was thinking of trying out a chill-out mix (stuff like Tosca, Nightmares on Wax, maybe an old Tribe Called Quest track). Is this stuff difficult to mix at all? I ask because it's not made with dj's in mind like dance music is (i.e. having a solid intro/outro to mix in and out of). I'll probably try using Virtual DJ to do this instead of my normal equipment (that way I don't have to burn any cd's either).

Generally speaking, the slower the tempo, the harder it is to beatmatch. And yeah, the tracks tend to not be as DJ-friendly with their intros and outros

A few things that help:

* Using loops to extend the tracks a bit more to give you more time to blend
* Harmonically mixing so that if you do have overlapping melodic bits, it doesn't clash

These are the things I've found that have helped me with my downtempo mixing (I've posted a lot of them in the DJ mixes thread over the years)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

actionjackson posted:

I could try loops a bit. Otherwise I just wait until one song pretty much ends before bringing in the other. Not really mixing, but it's the best solution I can come up with. The only time I can get with overlay is if it has more of an ambient intro with no beat.

Even your most basic hiphop or triphop track probably has a 4 or 8 bar intro that could be looped. Obviously much easier to do with software than just straight CD players though

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

1karus posted:

I recently started playing around with creating mashups and have been looking for feedback/constructive criticism on my work. I tried posting these in the DJ mixes megathread, but was told that wasn't really the proper place. I'm going to hope that this is. I'm using Ableton Live.

This isn't the place for it either. Socket Ryanist was right, take this to the producer thread

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

1karus posted:

You're the second person to tell me to post somewhere else without posting a link to the thread. I already cross-posted to this thread incase this was the one you are referring to.

That's the one, shoulda linked it in my previous post sorry

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I've double-timed it from downtempo/dub into dnb, the principle would be the same for dubstep

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Anyway, he said if I'm just starting out I should stick to top 40s if I want to get serious. So Now I feel silly for buying all these cool house cds of beat port :v:

What kind of bullshit advice is that? Here's a better question: what do YOU want to play? What music do you like? Play what you want to hear, not what some dude told you that you have to play to "get serious"

quote:

I also bought some SONY mdr-v700 from amazon! This is an expensive hobby! God drat, I better start doing something to earn all this money back.

Don't count on it. Especially when you start buying lots of music. At least investing in a good pair of headphones has other value outside of DJing

quote:

I got a question for any of you top 40 guys, where can I check out what the top 40 are? Also, where can I also buy the songs. I tired djcity, but I gotta be a real dj to use the digital record pool :shobon:

Amazon and iTunes are a good starting point. Most DJ stores don't carry much major label content (e.g. Ke$ha and the like) so you have to go for more mainstream sources.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Some day I need to do a serious purge, but for now I'm keeping my collection intact. Somewhere in the range of 1500-2000 records

Crappy cameraphone pic:

Yes it's all put away and somewhat organized now, this pic was taken when I had pulled all my classic prog for a party I was playing

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I've posted this several times before but I love my Xone 62, the thing has been a tank for me. Pretty easy to service simple problems too. I've fixed the LEDs on a few of the CUE buttons as well as a short in the headphone jack

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

beeps-a-palooza posted:

pretty sure ssl is closed off in terms of midi

Uh, no you can map midi controllers to serato. The NI Traktor X1 even comes with a mapping xml file for SSL

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Homeowners insurance replaced my laptop that was stolen out of our home which, incidentally, was also the laptop I used for DJing

You'd be foolish not to have renters/homeowners insurance if you have a lot of expensive gear. It comes out to a few bucks a month and is usually cheap if you bundle it with car insurance or the like

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

shyguise posted:

Do you guys have any tricks for on the fly turntable isolation? i was playing at a bar and my needle was doing backflips due to a combination of lovely booth construction and people dancing too hard/close.

The ghetto way I've done this successfully is with thick rubber bands wrapped around tall ashtrays to make suspension feet for the turntables. It's tricky as gently caress to play on turntables rigged up this way though because they move and bounce a lot

Rivfader posted:

No problem. One more thing, the harddrives in the current Macbooks (white and Pro) are no longer super-easily user replaceable because of the new uni-body design. In older White macbooks it was a matter of taking the battery out and then simply pulling the harddrive out and sliding a new one back in, alas no longer.

However, it's still relatively easy. Watch this video to see how it's done and if that scares you off, you might want to consider paying that extra amount of money after all.

??? I replaced the HDD in my first gen unibody pro 15" very easily. It's right underneath the back cover panel next to the battery.

The only thing that sucked was trying to get those loving torx no 6 screws out

e: I ran traktor for years on a stock 5400 rpm drive with no issues. Only reason I upgraded recently was because I ran out of space

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Ah gotcha. I never got the chance to attempt it on my older MBP (pre-unibody) as it was stolen out of my house years ago.

7200rpm has definitely made a noticeable improvement for overall system performance (esp with multitasking and cutting down on instances of the "beachball") but traktor has been rock solid both before and after

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

There is a serious art to being a good opening DJ.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Shameless opening dj plug: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995&pagenumber=48#post392673490

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

So where are you actually performing at?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

artard posted:

On the bus :) While it's driving and in the parking lot before and after the Bassnectar concert.

Nice, that sounds like fun.

Won't be at the concert though. Not a Bassnectar fan, and I've got my own gig in Denver that night anyways

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Horrido posted:

I was checking beatport for some tracks for the first time... and what the gently caress 1euro fee for wavs?

Should i suck it up and pay more or stick to mp3s?

They've always charged more for wavs.

There was a lot of discussion about the merits of wav over mp3 earlier in the thread that is probably worth a read. In summary

WAV: better sound quality, no true tagging support, uses a lot more disk space (about 5 to 10x)

MP3: better tagging, smaller

FLAC support would be awesome and a good happy medium but Beatport hasn't gotten around to it, not sure what the reasoning is

IMHO MP3 is fine at 320k, I'm not one of those hardcore audiophile nerds who insists that they can hear the difference when using oxygen treated 24k gold interconnects or whatever the gently caress. I've play MP3s on a Funktion 1 soundsystem and have never noticed a problem

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

No he's trying to figure out if his mp3s which are encoded at 320 were reencoded from a lower bitrate source originally

e: you can take any crap audio file and reencode it to 320 but that isn't going to magically make it sound better

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Chitin posted:

Well yeah but there's not really a way to test that is there? I mean, other than the file sounding like crap.

Yep

Chitin posted:

Also, this is one of those reasons why you should buy your music.

Yep

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

pg2011 posted:

So you're looking to see if files are a transcode? I use Spek (http://www.spek-project.org/). It's multi-platform, free, and very straightforward.

Different encoding settings cut off frequencies past a certain point. 128 kbps files, for example, cut off all sounds above 16 kHz in order to make the file size smaller. When people convert 128 to 320 (or anything above 128), Spek will show that the mp3 still cuts off at 16 kHz because converting to 320 can't magically bring back the sounds above 16 kHz.

Neat!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

32 bar loops are a godsend for piss breaks

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

Alright, some more questions for you guys. As a DJ who's new to the scene, you usually get opening gigs and the like, which are a lot tougher than the main slots (since you just get to play awesome banger after banger). When you're opening, what kind of stuff do you play? To be more specific, if you're opening an electro house night, would you stick to all electro even if you're opening (I imagine not), or would you stick more with tech house, progressive house, and stuff along those lines, and slowly ramp yourself towards electro? I've been slowly getting very into tech house, and if that helps with opening gigs that would be drat awesome, I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

A few thoughts related to the art of the opening DJ.

1. cardinal rule: don't play the headliner's tracks. That's like the biggest faux pas you can commit
2. play a bit slower than you normally would. Even 1 or 2 bpm can help
3. play genre(s) that are complimentary but not necessarily the same as the headliner.
4. keep it in your pants. don't bang it out before the headliner goes on and steal their thunder. It's ok to ramp up a bit towards the end to build the anticipation but within reason

There's a local DJ around here that rumor has it has had his cd wallet thrown out of the booth by the headliner on two separate occasions as an expression of how awful he was being as an opener. don't be that guy

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Oh yeah, good call on the volume too. A good stage manager will be keeping an eye on it too and making sure you're leaving plenty of headroom for the headliner to fill in

On the topic of closing sets...One of my favorite gigs I've ever played was a sunrise set at a mountain party two summers ago. DJ before me was playing dark evil techno, so I went tech house -> downtempo -> doubletimed into DNB -> downtempo -> house over the course of 3 hours. Played the DNB right as the sun was starting to peak over the mountains

Really wish that recording had turned out :(

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

For crowds that may not be as familiar with you personally, looking like you are having fun definitely helps

Of course, I usually have friends at gigs when I play so that makes it easier. Try and con some of your friends to be there for moral support if you can

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

So I'm playing my first serious bar gig in the middle of August 16. Gonna be playing mostly dubstep, as it's a DnB/dubstep night, and I'm already feeling a little anxious about it. The guy who's running it is having everybody playing on his CDJs and Technics 1200. I personally have never burned a CD for DJing, nor do I own any records, as I've only really mixed exclusively with controllers up to this point. I don't own a Serato Box either (which I'm trying to get). I'll admit my beatmatching skills aren't perfect, so I'm a little worried about this gig. Anyone wanna throw some general pointers, and maybe some specific advice regarding moving from a program like Serato Itch to CDJs? Hell any advice on CDJs in general would be cool. I'm gonna have a couple of chances to mess around with the guy's decks, so I won't be going in completely cold, but I don't want to make an rear end out of myself either, so I want to brush up in these next few weeks' time and get my skills as best as they can. Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

Any reason you can't just plug your laptop into one of the channels on the mixer and use your controller as normal?

This is pretty common.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Pen Expers posted:

Edit: Also, am I kinda screwed by buying duo instead of pro?

I believe there is an upgrade path there, at least on the software side. Bigger question is whether you will eventually be limited by 6 ins/outs versus 10

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

oredun hating on Allen & Heath again. Shocking!

Some of your complaints are valid. The 62 design is pretty old by now. But hyperbolic statements like this

oredun posted:

the xone 62 is an outdated dumb piece of poo poo according to most people that have one/use one.

doesn't earn you any credibility. "most?"

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 27, 2011

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Splinter posted:

Anyone have any advice for dust-proofing gear for burning man (playa proofing)? I'm planning on bringing a MBP and an S4. For the MBP I'm definitely getting a hardshell case, but I think it might be a good idea to get something to cover the keyboard and maybe the trackpad and screen as well (since that's where most of the holes in the case are). Anyone have recommendations for this sort of protection?

For the S4 I have a dust cover I can throw on if a dust storm comes while I'm playing, but I don't really know if there's anything else I can or should do. Ideas?

My advice? Don't bring your gear in the first place. No matter how much "dustproofing" you do, that playa dust is still going to get in there

Burn some CDs and be done with it

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

If you're in the US, almost no one uses Traktor.

May be true where you are but around here (Denver) it's about 50/50 with a lot of long-time Serato users moving over to Traktor. That's in the house and techno community, at least. I'm sure that it still dominates amongst the hiphop and indierock DJs

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

vanilla slimfast posted:

I'll be doing another live audio/video broadcast from Beatport's Denver HQ this Friday the 29th, from 3pm to 6pm MDT (that's 5pm to 8pm Eastern, 2pm to 5pm Pacific)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=147536325326530

I plan to play a little bit of everything :)

http://www.ustream.tv/beatport

Starting now!

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Saucy Slit posted:

(checking ur live stream Vanilla, chill musix)!

Thanks!

Archive video is up now: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/16316805

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

TheWevel posted:

What do you think of that DJM2000?

It's a beast of a mixer. Really not much different of a feel than an 800/900 other than all the fancy touchscreen effects and such that I didn't use anyways.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

geeves posted:

What's a decent / inexpensive USB sound card? My soundcard on my PC is shot and that PC is also 11 years old so it's time to get an iMac next month. So for now I'm just on my 13" MBP with no linein.

Is something like this Numark dongle alright for short term / emergency use?

http://www.amazon.com/Numark-DJ-Multi-Channel-Interface/dp/B000S5Q2EK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312329366&sr=8-1

I'd go for the NI Audio 2

quote:

The 62 holds up very well - I've had mine 8 years (bought it used) serviced right when I bought it to make sure it was all good (it was) and once to fix some cue lights and just a general once over about a year ago. I've used it at clubs many times and have multiple people use it and never heard a complaint.

I'll give you the metering. And aside from a few new features and knobs and sliders (and most likely hardware & firmware), it's almost the same mixer as the 92 and there's no discernible difference. The EQ is awesome and the sound quality is clean and excellent, very similar to Rane's and not muddy like the DJM series (I have not used the 900 or 2000).

I'll use my 62 until it catches fire, then maybe I'll upgrade to the 92.

:respek:

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

The 2000 just look like a giant game gear, I heard they discontinued it though since no one bought it.

Wouldn't surprise me. Seems like Pioneer is pushing the 900 as their flagship model

Only place I've ever seen or touched a 2000 is at Beatport's office and Beta Nightclub (hell, might have even been the same one)

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

geeves posted:

Can this go from my record out -> Audio 2 -> USB on Mac and record with Audacity?

I don't use traktor still on CDJs

edit: derp, no you can't. Audio 2 is outs only (no ins)

You'd need the audio 4 for that IIRC

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

This is the set I played at sunrise at Apogaea (the CO regional burn) back in June

http://soundcloud.com/vanillaslimfast/bones-sunrise-on-the-whomp-truck-2011-06-10

I tend towards pretty but moody stuff

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If I were starting over now I'd buy a 92 (or 42) over the 62. I'm surprised they are still making the 62, honestly, given the improvements in the designs in the later models that basically render it obsolete

edit: oh, looks like the 42 only has one filter (instead of two), that's a dealbreaker if you mix with the filters instead of the EQs

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

fordan posted:

OK, stupid beginner time.

Anyone have a good pointer to some sites/resources/books/videos on basic DJing skills? Lots of good advice about gear in the first posts, less about what to do with it. I have friends who bedroom DJ, but they use vinyl and live 3.5 hours away, whereas my controller/software should show up in a day or two.

This book might be useful. Written by a guy who works for NI, no less

http://www.amazon.com/Laptop-DJ-Handbook-Techniques-Performer/dp/1435456645/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917460&sr=1-1

edit: and of course there is the foundational book that *every* DJ should read

http://www.amazon.com/How-DJ-Right-Science-Playing/dp/0802139957/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312917496&sr=1-1

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Old Man Pants posted:

I know this is from PAGES back but please tell me this story.

e: was it ____-________ or T____kk?

Neither. S__ Th____. Rumor has it that one of the aforementioned headliners was Steve Lawler on the rooftop of Vinyl

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Horrido posted:

I was thinking, traktor works as plugin in ableton? you could have it reWired and do all the crazy poo poo with ableton while actually mixing with traktor (like beatmaching, a thing that i found hard to do in albeton)

Nope. Traktor is a standalone program.

Ableton did partner up with Serato to allow you to hook the two programs together kinda how you are describing. It's called The Bridge: http://www.ableton.com/thebridge

I've never tried it out so I can't speak to exactly how it works or how well it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Diplomaticus posted:

Anyone know of some good videos that show a decent DJ playing a live set, but where the footage focuses on their hands (i.e. what they are doing with their equipment) and their computer monitor?

http://ustream.tv/beatport

There's a few videos of me on there in the archives :)

edit: doesn't really show the computer screen though

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Sep 21, 2011