Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.
Great thread this here, the OP is very good too.

I've sort of been producing music for a few years, mostly been dabbling with just software and an M-Audio controller. Not very good at it, but recently I've gotten the inspiration to play more often than I've had for awhile.

Before Christmas I went to sort of a DJ class. It was just a couple of nights, maybe eight hours on total, but it was enough to learn the basics of beatmatching on CDJs. I had tremendous amounts of fun, and have since had a slight but persistent itch to get properly into DJing. I think I'd go all digital right away though.

I almost got myself a cheap Hercules RMX to start off, but then I found out how cool the EKS Otus line of controllers are. Now recently I've gotten interested in the Traktor Kontrol S4. Basically what's happened is my issue in buying electronics in general, I tend to get progressively interested in more and more advanced (and expensive) stuff than what I could do with. :v:

The Herc would probably get me started just fine, and I could afford one of the new virtual analog synths I've also been concidering getting. Otuses look fantastic, are designed by a Finnish company, and have a pretty big nice wheel. S4 then seems very interesting for various reasons, not the least because of seamless integration between hardware and software.

Can't afford new gear right now, but will probably have to fork out for something during the spring. I feel like music production puts me into a more serious mindset, whereas DJing seemed to be fantastic entertainment. I don't think I'd aspire to do any serious work as a DJ, but it just seemed to be so much fun that I probably can't not start doing that for my own or my friends' delight. Learning beatmatching and just getting to know the basics gave me a lot of inspiration to do something with my own stuff, so maybe they just might complement each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU