Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

I'm really goddamn tired of the rumour that the SL-1200 is going out of production. They only discontinued the Japanese only SL-1200 MK6, the MK2 and MK5 are still in production: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Audio/Technics-DJ/Technics-Analog-Turntables/model.SL-1200MK5

(Panasonic released a press report in Japan announcing the cessation of selling it in Japan, and dipshit websites repasted the English translation of it assuming it meant all models and markets)

Please stop reinforcing this misinformation, it's the reason why everyplace is sold out of them right now and the people that do have them are asking stupid prices north of $900 for them (and why people are asking new unit prices for used ones).

the thing is, if you call any US retailer they will be out of stock and tell you that techs are discontinued.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

THAT drat DOG posted:

Anyone have experience on the audio side of DJing? I'm looking for a pair of powered speakers, and I'm stuck between JBL EON G2, Mackie Thump TH15A, and American Audio XSP.

First off, are 15" speakers overkill for a 75-125 person crowd? I'd rather go easier on my wallet and hopefully not blow my crowds eardrums, would a 12" speaker suffice?

Next one, a single JBL speaker can cost as much as half my cars worth, can I get by with a Mackie speaker or even an American Audio speaker? The venue I will be playing at has JBL EON G2s but they're pretty much all blown, so I can't really see how good they sound like.

E: The venue has a subwoofer so I guess bass shouldn't be a problem.

I really really like the b52 matrix systems. Have a look at those.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

The rule of thumb is that it's usually a watt per person, and 2 watts per person if its outside.

you sho about that?

Are you sure its not some multiple of that?

a 1000w b52 certainly isnt enough for 1000 people, hell, i use a 3000w system for about 300 people all the time and id like it to be a little more. and i use a ~7000w system all the time and its never enough for a decent sized room.

I think maybe you mean 10w=1person.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have 2 Mackie SRM450v2, they get pretty drat loud and the sound is amazingly clear. I would recommend them. I previously had JBL EON G2s and they were beasts.

You can definitely hear them from a block away.

yeah, thats 800 watts, not nearly enough for 800 people. not even close to enough. they would be suited more like 80-100 w/o sub at most, and like 200 with sub at most.

LouietheCuban posted:

i'm curious to see how other ableton dj's organize their sets. i've spent so much time color coding my set and making custom effects that if for some reason the .als file gets corrupted, i would probably go insane

do save as, then save it as the name of the set then the date. keep them all in the same folder, ordered by date. so if you corrupt one, bam, just use the second newest one.

i personally hate using live to DJ. i think its severely limited in what you can do live(ie, you cant warp live) and if someone has some request i dont have, its just throw in serato and beatmatch to the last song.

the other thing about live is even if i have 200 songs i know ill play, it takes ~5 mins per song to warp, and it just takes to long. then i get to the gig, and realize i need different music.

serato ftw.

although the bridge is nice, it just pisses me off there isnt like a 10 second audio buffer that i can scratch, so its almost worthless to me because of the lack of scratching.

i do want to get sl3 or 4 so i can have 3 decks, 2 for songs and 1 for live. that would be tight. and really expensive.

oredun fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 17, 2011

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

Got a chance to use my S4 live last night, I'm in love with the thing. The rubber knobs are a god send. I grip the poo poo out of my knobs for whatever reason but after 5 hours of DJing my fingers didn't hurt at all.
The EQ quality is miles better than my VCI-100, and the layout is extremely comfortable. I love that you have to press down on the jogs to turn on vinyl so I won't accidentally grab the track reaching for the effects.

Also I spent 4 hours making a collab mix with my buddy only to realize that we recorded an hour of silence because we didn't configure recording properly ugh.

the EQ quality will be the same as the vci? its just midi...

IMO the S4 is a cheap piece of poo poo and i would be sick if i spent 1000 on that. itll be completely outdated in about 12 months. and worthless.

its cheapass plastic, they couldnt even make it metal for 1k? even numark got that right.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

Hilarious even...
I find it fascinating to see how you are basically saying that be like everyone else and play the same poo poo as everyone else to stand out from the rest... Yeah, it will get you gigs in the short term, but in the long run you'll just be bumped out again by the next kid, who plays for twenty bucks less and always has a bunch of friends with him that keep the liquor flowing from the bar.
I've worked bars and small clubs to earn cash to buy records and equipment with some success for little over three years. I'm glad I'm out now and have the time and space to play what I like and that has earned me far more 'respect' (I rather say goodwill) than all these years behind the decks at bars and fratparties.

i find it fascinating you think your "keeping it real." i do the same thing as everyone else, but better. and i have long term gigs, and im one of the DJs "you talk to" if your trying to get in on the circuit. and people try to do my gigs for 20 less all the time, but then i ask for 50$ more and keep my job.

because im good.

ive played for three years as a loving professional, and ive made amazing money and paid my way through college while doing a shitload of drugs and stupid other stuff, and i have top of the line equipment, paid for by DJing.

ive seen hundreds of people like you. tell me im a sell out, blah blah, the "scene" loves you and cares about you. BUT BUT BUT I GET TO PLAY WHATEVER I WANT, YOU JUST PLAY RADIO BULLSHIT!!

yeah me too, but i play hits, poo poo anyone but stupid broke hippies want to hear(this is a college town...), respect, "goodwill", none of that poo poo is real. if you didnt come back next week, noone would give a gently caress. noone thinks better of you because you play the neatest BP top10 tunes.

i think you may be the one that thinks theyre the awesome "real" DJ but really, are probably not, and i thought your posts are cool, but DJs that talk about how they are better than other DJs because of the music they play? completely out of line.

if you came and saw me playing at a bar/club i know you would think im a sell out sorry gently caress and you hate this music, BUT drat THE GIRLS ARE HOT!!

playing once a month is not "playing gigs", playing once a week is getting alot closer, playing 150-200 shows a year for 3-4 years is being a real DJ. i think that might be something we disagree on.

/dj rant, sorry i took this out on you, i run into this all the time, it makes me very angry.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cowboy. posted:

DJ threads are the worst.

For recording mixes, if the only line in on my laptop is a minijack microphone input do I need to get an outside USB/firewire sound device?

Are a Macbook's line in decent enough to record with? Should I be worried about how CPU intensive recording is with Serato going on the same machine?

It's an older 2Ghz Core2 with 2GB RAM Macbook for reference.

And are there any tips beyond the first post for configuring Audacity?

ive found that macbook mic inputs are good enough, but they have a narrow band of good sounding, like 5 db wide or something(i mean who knows but you know what i mean)

i use a firewire interface with SSL on 2.0ghz macbook. it works fine, and honestly, you cant even notice any addition strain.

if you try to use the bridge though, its pretty heavy on the CPU, kind of annoyingly heavy, especially on 2ghz MB.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Professorbx posted:

The Xone:22 is a stupidly good budget mixer, and the thing is, even their "cheap" mixers are built to the standard of their expensive units.

in my experience, and after looking around on the internet afterwards, the xone 22 and 42 are total pieces of poo poo. ive seen like 5 FIVE seperate xone 22s fail from DIFFERENT causes. unacceptable.

Cowboy. posted:

Are you one of those people that can just figure out the key on your own, or do you painstakingly find it with a keyboard, or do you use something like mixedinkey?

I ask because I can't decide if mixedinkey is vapourware (despite all the endorsements) or a worthwhile investment - or if I should just train my ear somehow.

be aware that mixed in keys and whatever the other one is called will rape you id3 tags. if you use serato they will ruin all your whitelabel songs and gently caress your library up from messing with the song tags. i cant loving believe they dont mention that before you use it!

i think just listening and determining if the songs mix well or not is the best way to harmonic mix.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I just got accepted into the ClubKillers.com record pool, it's probably the best record pool there is and I reccomend that everyone fill out an application to get in. They got a lot of amazing stuff in there.

dj alex dreamz?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Sjoewe posted:

Then Pioneer must be absolute rubish.

What? Pioneer is some of the most reliable gear money can buy. I dont know if this is some smartass comment or what you are even talking about. We are talking about 300$ dollar mixers not xone92s.

These xones have broken in like 2 weeks after being purchased. If you scour the web youll see that not only do the 22s fail at an amazing rate, the 42s fail quite often as well. They cheapass chinese poo poo, and yeah, agree it may just be working the kinks out for the first production, but i for one will not pay to be a beta tester. A&H has lost me as a customer for the DJ equipment thats for sure (their real mixers are great tho), and i couldnt in good faith recommend them to anyone.

Crazy C posted:

Sounds like the general consensus (save for 1) is that A&H is the way forward. Going to to go sell left testicle brb. :smith:

dude, it costs $300. Thats as cheap as DJ mixers get. Just make sure you buy the stupid warranty, i would bet your mixer will break before it runs out.

Ben and Stew posted:

Personally I prefer Rapid Evolution to mixed in key since it essentially does the same thing for free and has a better interface and library capabilities

Do you ever actually check to see if its right? I used it and not only did you ruin all my ID3 tags, well over half the keys were completely wrong.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cowboy. posted:

Yeah I've got turntables with Serato. I picked up a korg nanokontrol which is alright, technically more banks but the buttons are tiny.

Since I'm asking silly questions already - should I consider selling my old Torq Connectiv and SL1 and moving to Traktor 2? I really want to play around with four decks, and the SL1 is only going to devalue with SL4 coming.

traktor blows, i dont even see how you could mix with four decks unless you used sync without the waveforms overlapping. i just think thats crazy how stupid the beatmatching is with traktor, its either straight up like vinyl, look at the little meter which is never right, or hit sync.

if you like serato just get the sl4. i know i am.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

THAT drat DOG posted:

Should I throw my SL1 on eBay to snatch up the Rane SL 2 or is it not worth it? Slower USB 1.1 and supposedly shitter sound quality hasn't really been a problem with the SL1 but would the SL2 be that much bigger of an upgrade?

sl2 really isnt an upgrade at all, sure its 24 bit but cds are only 16, and sure the phono preamps are nicer, but you dont ever even hear them because youre using your computer anyway. usb 2.0 isnt even faster because theres not even enough bandwidth being used on the original to hit the maximum.

who knows?

i do want an sl3 or maybe even 4 if im feelin crazy!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Actually Serato was the answer to Final Scratch 2 which was Serato/NI's DVS.

What?

The Dark Wind posted:

Does anyone know of any tracking devices you can put into your equipment case, kind of similar to a Lo-Jack? It'd be nice to have that extra layer of security just in case something does happen and there's enough time to track the culprit down. Not sure how feasible or sensible it would be, but I figure it's worth a shot, since I'm a pretty over protective person in general when it comes to these kinds of things.

I think if there were, it would really easy just to take it out of the case. Big ole hole in that plan.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

True, but with how small these things are getting, I'm sure there's one small enough that you could put it discreetly in the side of the case. I'm guessing most people wouldn't expect some sort of tracker in a case, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

a case is like a 1/16 of an inch thick. theres no way to cram the batteries, receiver, and electronics in that small of an area. I doubt theres even room in a case for any of of device like that, even if it were tiny as poo poo. I dont think such a thing even exists anyway.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

phractured posted:

I mean we can track phones... I'm sure you could buy a lovely GPS tracking phone (like the ones people sell to paranoid parents) and throw that in a case in the styrofoam or somewhere.

Go for it, but at a certain point you should just consider one minor thing: insurance.

Rigging up phones and charging wires and connectors and making sure the phones are charged and paid for each month, and theres the possibly that either the phones will get ripped out once someone sees a huge block of styrofoam or they dont, you call the police, and they dont even give the slightest of shits, like whenever your stuff is stolen unfortunately.

So then you consider something as outlandish as insurance...

You pay them a monthly installment and if your equipment is stolen, BAM! They help you, if not fully, replace whatever got stolen from ya.

Seems a little crazy/aluminum foil hat to try to rig that poo poo instead of getting insurance.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Ben and Stew posted:

Ugggg I need to do this so soon. I'm always worried about my gear when no one is home. I actually keep my laptop locked up using a lock cable in the own home lol. I should be getting a new job and a new place fairly soon though so it will definitely be one of the first things i get.

I just had my house flood and ruin all my poo poo due to the massive storms we had in knoxville 2 weeks ago. Luckily in the middle of the poo poo hitting the fan the only things i could think to save was my MBP and juno 60. Then i got my DJ stuff with a torrent of water blasting through my ceiling.

it was bad.

and

none of it was insured due to a lil communication error with the insurance company.

so get insurance its worth it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Ben and Stew posted:

wait you live in knoxville? so do i. do i know you? what's you're name irl?

you dont know me, im pretty sure i know who you are though. if you go to any of the mainstream(frat) bars/clubs in knox youve seen me DJ. id prefer not to say anymore because i enjoy being an rear end in a top hat on SA. but im not in real life, i swear.

edit: this should be enough, tinroof on thursdays is me if ya come sometime ill buy you a drink. ps lots of hot girls.

oredun fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 18, 2011

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mescal posted:

It's 4:30 and I'm still too hyped up to sleep. I just did what felt like my first real rock-the-party kind of DJ gig.

This venue in downtown portland called me because their DJ for that night flaked. I hadn't played there before. I rushed out and loaded the gear and records with my collaborator. We started it pretty chillout, doing a half hour apiece. We were both just playing our favorite underground/independent hip-hop tracks without being too ambitious about the technical aspects. I was starting to question myself, since people were coming and going and the crowd wasn't too thick yet.

Tonight was the night of the naked bike ride, as well as being part of pride week. So downtown was crazy with energy and full of people.

Around 11pm the owner came up to the booth and said "this table of girls came here to dance, do you have and dr dre or snoop dogg?" So I started playing my club rap singles, which I hadn't touched yet. The floor went from half-empty to wild in a second. I did a series of instrumental/acapella overlays with mostly stuff like dr dre, 50 cent, etc, and some indie stuff like atmosphere thrown in. I'm glad I happened to bring some ~130BPM dance records, too. I went into some popular stuff like LCD Soundsystem, daft punk, and such.

I was dripping sweat on the mixer for most of this.

Wish I hadn't had to concentrate on the mixing so hard right then. At one point I noticed some of the girls had taken their tops off. Plus a guy came up and said he worked for adidas and wanted my card. I said I'd catch up with him but he took off.

Before I knew it, it was 1am and about time to relax the mix a little. My buddy took over and gave me a break. He brought it back to hip-hop. I was beat, but it'd still be at least three hours before I got home. The people who work there really liked it and want us back.

After drinks and splitting the cut with my friend, I only made 25 bucks. But I had a hell of a lot of fun.

post of the thread right here. play what you like and nobody gets into it, play what the crowd likes and it goes wild.

when an owner says "play this, the girls want to dance" it means noone was likes your music and complaining to the owner about it. which is cool since you fixed it(as in really great, it means youre versatile), but just goes to show people just dont give the slightest poo poo of hearing new music you think is cool.

keep up with the charts and keep your ear to the ground on what people like, they dont go to clubs to get "educated" by some pretentious DJ, they go to dance and hear what they know the words too.

i would get some more up to date dance tracks if i were you. daft punk and lcd soundsystem are old as poo poo and honestly, they work, but just barely. Also, it sounds like your rap is a lil dated, which is cool for the classics, but the more you play, especially for party type DJing, you need the hottest most up to date tracks(serato really helps compared to real vinyl)

that new LMFAO track party rock anthem is probably the biggest banger right now, everyone loves pitbull i want it all too.

but good story its always cool to hear success stories!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

For that amount you can get a Xone:62 which is infinitely better. You can always save up a bit more and get a used DJM-800 in good condition, but since you're using Traktor you can just use the internal effects with an X1 (assuming you're getting one since you're looking at an external mixer). A DJM-700 is within your price range too and it has a dedicated EFX panel.
Personally I'd get the DJM because I like the onboard effects, it's club standard, Im not a fan of the double mids on the Xone and I like the dedicated filter knobs. Although the Xone has amazing filters and audio quality. I would try them both out if I were you, also depends on what you spin I guess.

actually the denon is a much better choice. the xone 62 is an outdated dumb piece of poo poo according to most people that have one/use one. the way its laid out is stupid, and metering is stupid, and CF is stupid, the EQ is stupid, and price is stupid(new, but very fair used), and in my experience they are not what i would call reliable, tho not quite unreliable. maybe a xone 92 beats the denon, but the 62 is seriously old as poo poo and not even in the same league as the new generation of mixers.

denon makes some of the finest DJ gear money can buy, and the x1600 has a soundcard, traktor certified, great efx, and a great build quality.

I have a DJM and its not being very reliable and im getting ready to sell it and go back to denon, specifically the x1600, as its the finest mixer on the market that sells for a reasonable price.

and honestly, the DJM effects kind of suck! the filters sound alright at best, and the only usable effects are like flange, echo, and loop or whatever its called and the rest sound like poo poo, even though it doesnt matter because you could never use them in a mix anyway.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

oredun hating on Allen & Heath again. Shocking!

Some of your complaints are valid. The 62 design is pretty old by now. But hyperbolic statements like this

doesn't earn you any credibility. "most?"

hyperbolic, yes; true, yes.(my complaints are slightly sarcastic btw)

Seriously, just everything about a 62 shouts "i was designed by engineers who have never DJed in their lives"

4 led meter? palease! that should be enough to make anyone not buy it right there.

And to the wevel, i do have a djm700 right now. im about to sell it and buy a dnx1600. the DJM has some serious reliability problems and pioneer is absolutely not as helpful as i would figure a company that sells really overpriced poo poo would be.

The djm is the poo poo, but theres like a short in it or something and sometimes 2 of my cues and my master cue and the filter engage button dont work, but everything else works fine. i could do without 2 cues(thats why i buy 4 channel mixers, so half can break and ill be alright) but the master cue going out is KILLING ME!!!

I really want a djm 900, but pioneer is not really impressing me, and they are WAY to much money.

The thing about DJ stuff is that when you use it 3 nights a week partying loving hard, stuff gets torn up and it pays to get a bunch of opinions and try out a bunch of different things. Because, as much as i hate most A&H DJ mixers i love their live sound boards(except how the PFL is MOTHERFUCKING MONO A&H WHY DO YOU DO THINGS LIKE THAT?!?) and those products work great for me, just not the DJ stuff.

And remember dudes: reliability over efx, midi, looping, "song deconstructing", etc... We are motherfuckin DJs not conductors of the electronic phat beat symphony, all that has to happen is one song transitioning to another.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vanilla slimfast posted:

If I were starting over now I'd buy a 92 (or 42) over the 62. I'm surprised they are still making the 62, honestly, given the improvements in the designs in the later models that basically render it obsolete

edit: oh, looks like the 42 only has one filter (instead of two), that's a dealbreaker if you mix with the filters instead of the EQs

the 42 and 22 have some SERIOUS reliability problems. i see posts about them all over the internet and my partner is on his 4th one and its torn up now too. The longest one of his lasted is 2 months!!

I can totally see quality improving as production goes on, but right now, i give them a "stay the gently caress away" rating, even though for the price they are the finest mixers money can buy IMO. the xone 22 is seriously the perfect dj mixer, great eqs, great metering, great CF, great filter, XLR outs, efx loop, just overall awesome, EXCEPT they break all the time.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Professorbx posted:

Funny thing about the Xone22: the CF is a crap CCA circuit, meaning the CF will bleed quick. The hilarious thing about it is that the 22 has a VCA controlled filter, and if you take a look on the circuit board they could easily tap the VCA on the VCF Filter for the crossfader and get good curve plus long life.

thats funny you say that because the CF in a 22 doesnt even last 30 days!!! but it works great before it breaks.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Irish Thunder posted:

So I just got my Traktor Kontrol a couple weeks ago. This is my first foray into DJing. I've gotten pretty good at beat matching especially with phrasing and learning when to cut (respecting the choruses and whatnot). The thing is I blow at doing the cuts. With pop music where there are a lot of vocals, is there any good way to mix in/out? It seems like I can only really do it near the intros/outros which kind of softens the flow a little.

Use what the other dudes are saying, and echo out is a great effect for music like that.

Or a back spin.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Im surprised by the lack of mocking of Serato DJ Intro in this thread

Why? It seems like a pretty obvious product they were missing, not everyone uses TTs or CDJs, or want to be tied to some super expensive controller. Its for the kids with MPDs and things like that.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The Dark Wind posted:

Last night I got my first chance to play a huge party from beginning to end, and man what a feeling that was. I was blasting dubstep, drumstep, electro/dutch house, moombahton, and the occasional top 40 or hip hop, and people were going absolutely insane. Got tons of props from everybody, people were screaming and dancing their heads off, women were checking me out, and I felt like king of the night. All this while playing music I absolutely love and listen to all the time on my own. I want to do this everyday.

thats awesome dude! thats why we do this. now get a good residency and do it every week!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Nindoze posted:

What's the verdict on using 3.55mm headphone jack out for Djing on a Macbook as opposed to an interface? Seen a few people doing this and was also forced to recently after my interface bugged out. Got me thinking about a simpler setup.

Any significant quality loss? Can them coreaudio drivers do the job fine?

it sounds like poo poo. all the tons and tons of shows ive played and run sound, theres always some know it all or newbie(which is fine) that says they like the output (why??) and it sounds fine to them.

well, it does sound fine, until you hear it against an output from a real soundcard. and it sounds muffled, a lil distorted, and grainy.

you can buy a soundcard from GC for like 75$, thats like half a gig at the most. just go buy one. or hell, theres a pawnshop near me with a nice 8 in MOTU for 150$, and thats not really a rare deal, you just gotta look around.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

This is basically how most clubs and gigs work though, just they are more blatant about it. If you aren't spamming your friends about it on all your social networks you get some strongly worded email or text about needing to promote more.

In 500+ shows, multiple states, multiple "scenes", couple of years I personally have never dealt with this once.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Anyone here with Serato use smart playlists? I've been avoiding itunes and just been using folders, but I'm realizing that's self-defeating.

i just throw all my music in itunes, then make new playlists inside of itunes for everything, then use that inside of serato. After messing around with bunch of different ways of doing it, i think its the best way because you can update your playlists using itunes so you can listen to them or whatever when youre changing stuff.

yea yea i know, itunes, but it works great for this purpose.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vas0line posted:

Definitely a drawback. Fuckin iTunes.
I'm curious... How large is your iTunes library? Mine's around 70 gigs and it takes SSL about 15 seconds to start.
mine is about 100gb and it takes about that long, i never even noticed it took so long.

even if its a minute, is it really a big deal?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Mines around 571... not including videos :gonk:

you need therapy or something. should we call a&e and tell them we have a hoarder?

571 gb!!!!

You crazy son.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

Finally made the leap to digital, so I have a couple small questions. I'm not going to be using iTunes, but I have a question about how to keep your Serato library updated.

I typically grab tracks that I'm going to DJ with, and keep them in a separate folder from my itunes library. So when I add 20 new songs to that folder, do I just click and drag the whole thing into Serato? Or is there a way to tell Serato "scan this folder every time you boot up" ?

Do you guys tag cue points and loop points on everything, or just do it as you go? I've been loading up a song, I set a cue point at the start, a second at the big drop, and a third with a loop on the last big section. I figure if I start running out of time I can loop out the ending if I get in a bind. Any tips for a digital newbie?

Edit: I decided to just do 320 MP3 for everything, I think I'll run out of space a little too quick if I go for lossless, and everyone I've talked to seems to think 320 is totally fine. I've been listening back to 320s on all different systems, and I can't really tell a difference. Anyone really ride for lossless?

whats wrong with itunes? it does exactly what you are asking for. 320 is fine, really, 256 is fine every now and then, and 192 is alright if you have a request you have to download real fast at a gig.

just set cues where you need them and delete the ones you dont use, its really easy to trip up and hit the wrong cue. looping, i guess if you had some sort of super tight routine then i guess you could set them ahead of time, but imo, its better just to hit loop when you need something looped.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

Well, I have hundreds of gigs of itunes music, and I don't intend to DJ with any of it. My whole iTunes is populated with 192 rips of stuff that I will never DJ

youre supposed to use play lists. you just put ALL your music in itunes, and make playlists and then pull that off your main itunes.

then you can see your playlists in serato. like i have a breaks, funk, top40, house, womp, certain routines, etc into their own playlists.

that takes care of the keeping everything up to date.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I have this bag, it's pretty dope

haha! i do too! its so filthy and used.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Run, don't walk, to your local stores (or Amazon) and get several sets of Etymotic ER20 ear plugs right now.

They're cheaper than getting the custom moulded in-ears and are supremely effective at taming high levels. (Don't get me wrong, the in-ear monitors are great but a stress nightmare considering how easily lost they are relative to their cost.)

You really don't want to be regretting not doing so and getting tinnitus and/or hearing loss in this line of work.

Edit regarding can chat: I'm personally a big fan of Grado SR80i but as ever a lot of it comes down to personal preference and predilections.

The plastic knobs stick out and they jam into my ears when i put my headphones on and off.

I like to rip an orange earplug in half and jam those in my ears. I dont have a real solution, if i have monitors i like them louder than damnit so i can hear myself scratching.

Something else is to make sure you headphones are bass heavy. Bass doesnt hurt your ears and something ive noticed is the tendency for cheaper cans to be trebly and they really really hurt your ears because they have to be so loud to hear and they have no bass. So make sure you have have lots of bass in the headphones.

Also, your ears are like muscles. If you wail on your ears for 3 nights in a row, it will be alot worse than 3 nights every other day or 3 spread out over two weeks. They get tired and you have to let them rest. So like, the next day after a gig, go easy on them or it will just prolong the ringing and probably damage them slightly more than if you didnt. And its cumulative over your life, so remember that. Its a major problem and i have noticed a significant decrease in my hearing over 3 years. So much so, im currently not pursuing DJing unless its a dream gig. I feel like i have seriously damaged my hearing. I have to sleep with a fan on because my ears ring so loudly now, and sometimes after gigs i would have to bring another fan in or something else to make more noise because i couldnt sleep due to the ringing. So yea, be careful, it adds up trust me.

Also, i made a tune i thought you guys might like: http://tindeck.com/listen/sypd

oredun fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Mar 17, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Is there any reason I could use something like this:

as a midi controller for live setups combined with an APC-20 for launching clips? Line everything up as needed and have effects/direct synth controls mapped manually?

i dont believe that mixer has midi, so no i dont think you could use it as a midi controller.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

OK so a friend wants me to spin some tracks on an event he's throwing this Friday. He told me about this at least a month ago and I asked him to arrange a time prior (as in weeks before as I had holiday time booked off work so it'd be easy) so I could head over with my PA kit and set poo poo up so things are perfect. The PA would be running a few bands and then me throwing on some tracks for the more intoxicated to head nod to. I ask for a couple of hours to play and take some readings on the real time analyser. I also ask what sort of stuff he wants playing as the bands are kinda rock/indie.

Weeks passed and I'd heard nothing so I just assume that poo poo's been cancelled. I get a text the other day asking if I was still doing this with him. Basically the venue (one that thinks it's far better than it actually is) cannot be bothered to have someone there for a couple of hours before they open on an evening. This means I either set up the PA in a rush or their horrible cheap lovely PA gets used which sucks all the fun out of music...

I predict this will be a complete clusterfuck.

I dont see whats so hard? All you have to do is set the speakers up and turn the amps on, right? Am i missing something?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

Yup, perfectionist. It's a relatively new PA setup and it uses folded horn subs which can either just be slammed down and switched on or properly placed in the room to maximise the wow factor (ie; overcome placement which steals my valuable low end frequencies) which is what I'd want seeing as I built them myself and know what they can do. The kit is massively capable so with a measly hour's prep they could sound amazing but the venue seems incapable of sparing this pre-event hour.

DJ setup is easy as I've done it in 15 minutes before but who likes being rushed? It's more the fact that a few bands would also be playing through it so I'd like a wee bit of time to get everything EQd properly to suit the venue.

The venue wont let you do it because its a real pain in the rear end to have joe "soundguy" mcnoob in there rooting around in their poo poo. I would never let anyone do it on my stage. You either pay me and use the venues poo poo, or you can bring yours, not touch mine, and you have the same amount of time as the band. Its a policy thing because theres always people trying to get in there "a few hours early" to set up some grandiose sound/light system.

Just dont worry about it, bring the least amount of gear you can, and get in there and set up as fast as possible without bothering the people at the venue and especially the sound dude or youll piss them off and not be able to come back(it kinda sounds like you may not even care about that).

Good luck tho, and dont get stressed out just get in there and do your job.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Penguinone posted:

Any of you guys dj in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area? Starting to look around for a wedding in December.

I do the party/wedding/non-edm DJ thing. Im not from detroit but ill give ya the good discount and even after flying up there it would probably still be cheaper than hiring a good wedding DJ, and he would likely just play itunes anyway.

Price some poo poo out, it should be between 1g-3gs for speakers/lights/DJ, and let us know. If they are cheaper than $1000 they loving suck and stay away.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
get computer speakers from best buy. they are much much cheaper number one, and two only the more expensive monitors will have any bass. Yeah my krks sound better, but i have some computer speakers with a sub and i like those better to DJ on because they have more BASS. And besides that, there is absolutely no reason to get monitors just to DJ with, thats like buying a corvette to drive to walgreens once a week to get your blood pressure medicine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

88h88 posted:

I plan on running a lot of sound this year for local DJs/bands to get my name about and get them to understand that the very loving first thing you do is start with great sound quality. People need to go 'holy gently caress this sounds amazing!' which currently nowhere in town offers, even the largest club in town bought a whole stack of new gear and had it set up badly. They're trying to run a loving line array setup in a room with a 9ft ceiling and wondering why it sounds garbage. The big room is better simply because it's massive but again they've done nothing to the room to try and cut back on the masses of reverb in there.

I think I'm just gonna churn out more speakers and rent a couple of venues and ask people to play. If nothing else everyone gets used to the setup and how poo poo should go down. At that point we'll discuss other options.

Cheers!

Im just gonna tell you right now, this is going to end in tears. If you do it for free, why would anyone ever pay you? Did you think about that? Once you do it for free, you will be held hostage to do it free even more.

"Hey man you know how you did it for free that last time? Well, yeah, we need you to do it again and we swear we'll pay you next time! Thanks!"

Not only that, but you are loving every other sound man in your area. That will not end well either.

So the moral of the story here is ALWAYS CHARGE FOR YOUR WORK!!! even if its only $50. But DO NOT rent out a venue just to run your system for free so DJs can play(am i even understanding you correctly?) because that is the exact opposite of what you would want to do if you ever want to go anywhere with your sound stuff.

You make the venue pay you, and tell them youll bring the talent for free and then youll renegotiate after that, and if a shitload of people show up, charge them a shitload of money.

Theres lots and lots and lots and LOTS of money to be made with live entertainment, but if you are a dumbass about it simply give your services away, you will never make money, and without money, you cant continue to do what you want to do. And its awesome to make a bunch of money DJing. I owe more in taxes every year that ive DJed than i made total per year before i was DJing(i just graduated college, so the DJing is my first pay all the bills job, but ive had decent paying jobs before). AND ITS loving AWESOME!!!!

And I do the soundguy thing too, i used to rent out PAs, but you dont make enough money to be worth the trouble(DUE TO PEOPLE LIKE YOU) and poo poo always tears up and eats your profits.

And i certainly didnt start off making poo poo, like $20-40 a night. BUT I DIDNT GIVE THAT poo poo AWAY!! Especially to venues, thats how they survive! By taking advantage of people with stars in their eyes!!!! Sure do it for your friends, but the second anyone makes a single dollar off your speakers or DJing, you need a cut of that. Do not waver on that, it might suck in the short run having to turn down gigs, but trust me, its worth it in the long run.

God speed, everyone out there is looking for numba one and a dude with a free bangin system is a ripe target.

EDIT: i forgot one thing, the music scene will always be there, so dont think im an idiot when i say turn down gigs. even though you think your cutting your own throat, you can really just hold out until someone will pay you. And then once you work for the person that pays once and you do a good job, they will likely continue to pay you, where a poo poo rear end ghetto free gig has no possible way to make money because theres no money anywhere near that poo poo.

edit 2: PS, trust me on this stuff, ive seen 100 people try it and 95 fail. And ive learned alot from those 5 and ive probably learned more from the 95 that hosed it all up.(and ive hosed up plenty of times, alot of the poo poo im telling you is from lessons the hard way.)

oredun fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Mar 29, 2012