Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Need some ideas from the gear heads in the thread.

So I've been DJing for my local swing dancer scene for a while and I'm thinking about upgrading my kit.

Currently I've just been using my old HP Spectre laptop, using Mixxx for the software and piping it into a Sony XP500 party speaker. It's an extremely basic setup, but functional for what we do.

Right now we primarily play in a mid-sized Ballroom for about 20ish people, plus the occasional outdoor event for a small crowd and it's been fine for those, but kind of at the limit of what it can play for. When the speaker is on battery power in the outdoor events it cuts the output pretty significantly and I've got to really crank the gain in software to get it back up, which kills the audio quality.

I've been thinking about upgrading the speakers, but need some help picking something.

Primary considerations:
- Something with an internal battery. If we're playing / dancing at outdoor events more often than not we do not have access to power so we need something that can run on internals
- Emphasis on clarity in the mid and highs. It's all vintage jazz, lots of horns and woodwinds, not really any heavy driving bass.
- Easy to pack in and out. Needs to fit in the back of my Nissan Kicks. Would prefer sub-50lbs or wheeled to spare my back.

Secondary Considerations, not mandatory but nice to have:
- Built in PA / mixing. It's not a hot need, but it would be nice if we had the ability to plug in a wireless lav system to it eventually for dance teachers / Emcees
- Modular - if we can't get a single big battery speaker, a few smaller ones wired or software synced together.
- Weather resilient - we do outdoor gigs in Kansas and while we wouldn't be dancing in a tornado, it should at least be resistant enough to water and dust for occasional outdoor usage

The comedy option I was thinking about was getting a Sony xp800 and using party sync to link it up to the old XP500 and have a two speaker system but I get that having significantly different speakers like that would probably cut into audio quality. The JBL Partybox 320 also straight up has a line out and can just be wired into another speaker. But I also get those are really not gigging speakers either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

qirex posted:

Mackie has the Thump Go and Freeplay Live that seem to tick a lot of boxes. I haven't used either myself.

The Thump Go seems really, really intriguing. Especially after watching this review: https://youtu.be/IAvh6UsJZ_A?si=SQnbXKRV-nb96Bg-

They are smaller than what I was expecting, but at the price point I can just get two and XLR them into each other like the reviewer did. Doubly so when compared to what I was originally looking at (JBL partybox 320, at $600).

It looks like my local Guitar center has them in stock. I might need to pay them a visit this afternoon.

Edit: If I'm looking to push into the $800 range, they have the Mackie Showbox. It's a bigger system and has a breakaway mixer and some more bells and whistles, but a fair number of them are more band / recording focused and I don't know if it'd get used. Kind of a question if I'm better off having a pair of 200w speakers or a single 400w.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 22, 2024