Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
[snip]

And a picture of my gear to make this post of some use.

Gear:
2x Technics SL1200mk2
Allen & Heath Xone:92
Redsound Soundbite
Sennheiser HD-25
2x Yamaha Hs50m monitor speakers
Macbook Pro with Traktor Scratch Pro

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Have you seen 'RIP! A remix manifesto'?
It's a documentary film about copyright and sampling. In the film they calculate that for a Girl Talk style remix album the royalties would be well over $22 million.

Happy remixing!

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
The mix competitions usually don't work because there are not enough people to vote, and with so much different genres out here getting a proper way to judge is nearly impossible. But what we could do is getting some sort of 'chainmix' thingy where everyone does a 30 minute bit and we end up with a long eclectic mix in which everyone can do his thing.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
In theory the Trakor 2k signal has a twice as high resolution as the Serato 1k signal. So it's like a 12mp picture compared to a 6mp one. But in real life it makes as little as no difference. I have both Traktor and Serato (god bless dj-friends who dump their gear at your house) and I really can't tell the difference only when you power down (wind down) track you'll notice that Traktor continues longer before the frames start breaking up.

Fun fact: Traktor and Serato will calibrate on each others timecode vinyl, only at half or double speed :haw:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Any will do. But buy the 15" hiress if you can afford it. But you should wait it out for a little while, the MBP's a due for a major update soon.

Edit: ughr Engrish.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 14, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Le0 posted:

does the 15'' hiress screen really does that much of a difference?

I used to do (motion)graphic design, so I still keep to the philosophy: the more pixels the better. Especially when using Traktor on the 4 deck mode, the normal 1440x900 resolution is just enough, but an extra 100 pixels would mean you could still fit (part of) your track list on screen. It isn't a must-have, but if you can afford it, it is a neat option from which you'll certainly benefit.

quote:

Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

Slow harddrives can be a bottle neck, but i don't notice any realy problems with my current 5400rpm drive. But I do hope 200+gb SSD's get affordable in the near future, I would definitely opt for one of those in my next MBP.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah, we also have JBL EON gen. 2's at the 'office'. That 18" sub really has some good punch to it, and what I love about the EON's is that they are light weight, for a mobile system that's a huge plus.

We occasionally rent the PA from our local illegal soundsystem (think what you want about ravers, but they always have a real good system), and their amprack alone already weighs in at 250 lbs, let alone for the subwoofers. Not something you want to drag around too often.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

you sho about that?

Are you sure its not some multiple of that?

a 1000w b52 certainly isnt enough for 1000 people, hell, i use a 3000w system for about 300 people all the time and id like it to be a little more. and i use a ~7000w system all the time and its never enough for a decent sized room.

I think maybe you mean 10w=1person.

I really depends on the kind of system you are using. We always rent a horn-loaded system, which clocks in at about 2500-3000W and we never had to push it beyond 50%. Hell at that level you could hear it two blocks down the road. Problem officer? :v:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I guess I will wait it out for a while before upgrading to Traktor Scratch Pro 2. The transfer from the old Scratch to Scratch Pro wasn't very smooth, there were a lot of bugs and minor issues. My current version is stable as a rock, so I'm not trading it in for and unproved version. And I will be keeping my audio 8 as well, I just keep to two decks anyway, and I already own a hardware loopmachine.

So to all you upgraders: please report back

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I totally agree, the same goes for me.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

AKP posted:

Question:

I'm not sure whether or not I should purchase the DN-X1600 now or save up for another three months and buy a Pioneer Nexus DJM-900. I've been listening to electronic dance music for the past six years of my life, and I know that mixing is what I need to get into. Right now I'm using a iMac9,1 which was purchased roughly two years ago. Is my iMac still capable of producing/mixing quality music with Ableton/Traktor? Or is the soundcard worthless?

I've been checking out both this thread and djtechtools.com, if anyone could toss any other links my way it would be greatly appreciated.

Your message is a little fuzzy. You're saying that you want to buy your first mixer? What other gear do you use?
Wait a second.
If you are going to use your computer, don't buy a mixer (certainly not the way overpriced DJM-900) but buy a MIDI controller. If Traktor is your game a NI S4 is the way to go. If you insist on buying a mixer, go with the Denon. It's a good mixer at a decent price.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Contact a flightcase-builder, talk to him about what you want now (and the future!). He could hook you up with a custom case where you only need to connect a power line and one audio-line out. Most standard cases for digital equipment are only so-so.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
DJ'ing isn't a mechanical thing. It's about music. I respect any DJ who shows love for his genre and is willing to take a risk by being sharp in his track selection, dispite what everyone else is playing. And I strongly disagree with the scheme above. This is only true, when your audience is made up of teenagers of college students.
Hell I even know DJ's that put tape over their vinyl labels to prevent anyonegetting to known the title of the track they are playing.
I love DJ's who agonize the sh*t out of me by playing all these great tracks that I don't known.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Mar 8, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

melee beats posted:

This is what is hilarious to me. The only way you can really get away with constantly breaking new stuff and generally playing whatever the gently caress you want is if people are there solely to see you perform and that's what you are known for. Everyone thinks they are this caliber. That's the problem with so many DJs - you aren't a superstar, people aren't there to see how zany "eclectic" you are.

Hilarious even...
I find it fascinating to see how you are basically saying that be like everyone else and play the same poo poo as everyone else to stand out from the rest... Yeah, it will get you gigs in the short term, but in the long run you'll just be bumped out again by the next kid, who plays for twenty bucks less and always has a bunch of friends with him that keep the liquor flowing from the bar.
I've worked bars and small clubs to earn cash to buy records and equipment with some success for little over three years. I'm glad I'm out now and have the time and space to play what I like and that has earned me far more 'respect' (I rather say goodwill) than all these years behind the decks at bars and fratparties.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Ah well, In the Nineties everyone wanted to be Kurt Cobain, and now they want to be Deadmau5, guess we should all just hang on for the next hype to catch on and see all the Paulie D's of this world turning to extreme bamboofluting or something.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Oh. I think there is some serious miscommunication going on.

I didn't want to make any statement about my skills, or anything like that. I'm just saying that I rather pursue my own goals in DJ'ing than constantly worry about clubowners and getting 'respect'.
The point that I was trying to make was that I used to think that playing out a lot and being liked by everyone was the most important thing to DJ'ing. But I totally lost fun in it, because it was always about what anyone else wanted.
I've quit doing that, dove in to the music I love most and spend a lot of time at home behind the decks and at visited lots of parties. Every now and then that gets me a gig and now more than ever I have fun again in Dj'ing. The last thing I want is be an rear end about it.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
There are no rules. Play it for as long as you want and it feels right. If you are in front of an audience you'll have to learn how to read them. Pick two or three people as a reference and try to keep them on the dance floor. If you're at home, imagine a dance floor and try to make a vibe for yourself. I play techno (both 'minimal' and more upbeat) and I have some tracks that I'll play from the first groove to the last, while at the same time I somtimes only play the hook out of another track.
Just keep trying, you will get a feeling for it eventually.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Glad to help.
My own mixes are at: http://soundcloud.com/sjoewe

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
My advice is that it's better to save up a little longer and avoid the low-end gear. It will last you longer, and it will hold its value better, if you decide to sell it at some point.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
No, not by me at least. I'm an Allen&Heath man myself. But there are loads of good mid-level manufacturers out there, just go up a couple of price levels, and buy used gear if you can.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

in my experience, and after looking around on the internet afterwards, the xone 22 and 42 are total pieces of poo poo. ive seen like 5 FIVE seperate xone 22s fail from DIFFERENT causes. unacceptable.

Then Pioneer must be absolute rubish.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

oredun posted:

What? Pioneer is some of the most reliable gear money can buy. I dont know if this is some smartass comment or what you are even talking about.

Well I replied to your remark that you hearing of five broken midrange Xone's should indicate that they are all bad. If that is the logic you're applying, then Pioneer must be rubbish as I've seen dozens of them fail over the past few years. Even the retailers get fed up with it, making profit for Pioneer, talking someone in to a $1800,- DJM800, but having to deal with angry customers time and time again as the powerunit, or DSP fails within two years. (And don't get me started on the quality of the CDJ's) This shop-owner literally said to me: 'Well if they are determined to buy a Pioneer, I'll sell it to them, but if anyone openminded walks in, I'll advice them an Ecler or an Allen&Heath over a Pioneer every time."

But I'm not here to defend any brand, just to repeat what professorbx already implied, every manufacturer has its bad production runs, that's not a good thing, but it happens. Still by internal circuitry design and the quality of components that are used, A&H is at the top of the game, while Pioneer keeps putting these cheap parts in their supposed to be highend mixers.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 18, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Cynicus posted:

Boo. :(

Is there any way to work around this, or do I have to just accept it until I'm able to afford better gear?

Actually there is, map a modifier/shift key (M1), and set the pitchfader under (M1) as 'fine pitch'.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Mar 19, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Not to start a Pioneer-rant, but quality issues with the DJM-900 have already started before it even became available to retailers. The delivery date of the DJM-900 has been pushed back by more than a month, because if you plug in a headphone with a high impedance (read any other than the Pioneer ones), the DSP shuts down the entire unit. :suicide:

That's about the stupidest thing I heared since Technics forgot to put a cue-volume control on the first run of their supposed to be 'ultra high tech' SH-MZ1200

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 19, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Expect to lose all your money to DJ'ing. I once swore that investing in Traktor Scratch meant saving money because I don't have to buy real vinyl anymore. Three years later I have almost doubled the number of vinyls I started out with when I made the decision that it was too drat expensive to keep buying real vinyl.

:suicide:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Trust me, that what you think is too much now, will be your basic spending within a year. :v:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

SUBFRIES posted:

Adding to Sjoewe.. :words:

:hf:

I keep it down by sticking to (rare) vinyl only releases for my 'treasure chest'.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I compared my mates HDJ-500 to my own HD-25-II, and I must admit they held up pretty good. The comfort is slightly less and there seems to be a small dip in the mid-frequencies compared to my own HD-25, but other than that I really couldn't find anything wrong with the HDJ-500.
But if I were to buy a backup mid-budget headphone, I would opt for the Technics RP-DJ1200. It's loud, it's durable, has good sound isolation and is nicely priced.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Depends on where and for who you're opening of coarse. Opening is good fun when the room is (slowly) filling up with people and thus allowing you as a DJ to set the tone for the evening. But there are those nights were the place is almost empty right until the first headliner is about to start and all people hear is your last record. Hard to create (and feel) a vibe in an empty room.

Then again, I love to DJ and I will do it anywhere they let me. This article describes the art of opening quite good:

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1095

And this checklist by veteran Joel Mull:

http://www.beatportal.com/feed/item/dj-tip-how-to-warm-up-a-dancefloor-by-joel-mull/

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Whenever I'm dying for a serious shitpiss I play System 7 - Alphawave (Plastikman Remix). It is god's gift to the constipated DJ because that fucker lasts almost 19 minutes :v:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Even playing at random parties has its shelf life.

I am glad that I'm out. Apart from my biweekly radio show, I take on around five to ten gigs a year and I love it that way. There is no greater buzzkill then seeing the thing you love becoming obligatory and boring.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I've seen so many terrible warmup DJ that I've lost count: DJ's panicking over the fact no-one is dancing, pushing the tempo, playing anthems et cetera. Keep in mind that you have the most responsible job of the night, because you are the one that sets the mood. And a good mood carries a long way.
Play modest, play consistent, hold back a little on the volume, make sure that people start swaying a little rather then dancing and please make sure you don't get tempted to play 'that-one-banger-towards-the-end'. End with a slightly boring track that allows the headliner to mix in his first track and to make sure that when he drops his first banger, he has got their full attention.

Closing down set's are great to do as well. Start out blazing and then slowly massaging the crowd towards a sweet end. I hate DJ's that end with the loudest track they have, giving you nothing but a hard landing when the lights come on.

Best ending I ever witnessed:

Derick May at ADE last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yD2P3eNNs

All the lights were on already for at least 15 minutes, everyone was ready to go and then he just dropped just one more record. I never, before or after left a venue more euphoric than that night.

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jul 17, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

vanilla slimfast posted:

Really wish that recording had turned out :(

Yeah that's the same I curse that I have: your best sets are always the ones that were supposed to be recorded but where the recording always goes missing/wrong/distorted in the end

I played a true oldskool techno set in our radio studio a couple of weeks back, which I haven't done anymore for almost a year. Sorted out all my old records, made sure every drop counted, mixed faster than Gordon Ramsey on meth and more precise than a brain surgeon. I was supposed to be my Soundcloud magnum-opus. And then some idiot taped his radioshow over it the next day. :suicide:

The Dark Wind posted:

energy just keeps going and never stops until 2:00 AM or so.

I usualy don't bother getting to the club before 1:30, but then again that's just how we roll here in Europe :smug:

Sjoewe fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 17, 2011

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
I think that it's just mainly a cultural thing. Because most of our public transport stops after 12:30 as well, but the people are just used to staying at the club until the system comes back on again in the morning.
Both have their advantages, because starting early allows you to go out, have a few and still have a decent amount of sleep. While over here there is no point what so ever to go to a club before 12:00, because it isn't even open yet. As I am currently working 6 days a week, this means I haven't seen the inside of a club in ages and I have to meticulously plan my party weekends, making sure I'm not expected to pick up the early shift on monday...

:froggonk:

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
It always gives me the Yo-Dawg!-feel:

"We heared you like FX, so we put FX on the FX so you can FX the FX while you FX!"

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

This record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvqJsHiquRc

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Yeah but's thats because, at least from my point of view, that most controller-DJ started out playing because they saw Tiesto/Hawtin/Diplo/Whoever and they decided to become DJ's themselves as soon as possible. With the great beatmatch-barrier out of the way, you are 'ready' to go out and play after a few weeks of practise. Ignoring the fact that there is much more to learn about technique and music before one should ever be allowed to play out anywhere. With vinyl you have to practise at least for a year, but easily more, before you are even remotely good enough to play in front of an audience, giving you the time to learn more about DJ'ing before you get on stage. Hell I've been Dj'ing for the past 6 years and just now I'm at the point where I allow myself to take some credit for my mixing skills.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

fordan posted:

And yes, I'm a "Tiesto/Hawtin/Diplo/Whoever" DJ-wannabe, at least inspiration-wise. It looked like fun, I love the music, and when I visited my friends' place a few hours away for a weekend and spent one of the nights hanging out in their basement while they mixed I realized that having a home setup wasn't that unreasonable.

Just remember for the time being you're just someone that likes to play records and everything will turn out right. Just like baking one bread doesn't make you a baker.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
If you do a single gig you'll never know. If it's regular you'll be able to spot good and bad nights after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Hehe, something about boiling tea from your fee money, and if you get high you'll know it's dirty... :drugnerd: