Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I'm torn, because the 62 has some cool features, but I just bought a ttm-57sl and I don't know that I trust the new ones as scratch mixers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
How are the faders on the 62? I don't know if I could give up the faders on my 57sl.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was really hoping to hear otherwise... now I want one.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I tried using the iTunes integration for a while, but I didn't like having to wait for my whole music library (most of which is not at all useful while djing) to load with Serato.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

vas0line posted:

Definitely a drawback. Fuckin iTunes.
I'm curious... How large is your iTunes library? Mine's around 70 gigs and it takes SSL about 15 seconds to start.

Oh, I'm around 300 gigs. It took forever every time that library had to load.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Has anyone here used Numark TTXUSBs or Vestax PDX-2000/3000s? I was thinking of getting a pair because I don't want to gig out with my Techs anymore.

I haven't got my hands on the TTXUSBs, but I have a pair of the original TTXs, and I love them. If you're used to techs, it takes a little getting used to the different style/design - but they are absolutely rock solid decks with nice features.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm confused by this scenario - they have a permit for sound / music, but something is preventing the use of turntables specifically?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I have a couple of these guys, and I have never had any issues with them - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002K3Y2MM

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

Well of course, but if you know your tracks you probably also have them imported properly to your dj software.

poo poo happens, it's foolish not to have headphones around to take a listen before throwing something live. Just the other day I found out a track I play constantly got its beat grid messed up in Serato. I've played this track probably a thousand times, set up its grid by hand, and when I opened it up this last time the whole grid had been moved by some random amount. I noticed my cue points weren't lining up with the grid, which was weird, and confirmed with my headphones that it was all out of whack.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Out of curiosity, how do you guys (generally?) approach mixing more than two tracks? I find my mixes get really full with just two.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I was guessing the answer boiled down to "more sparse genres", but I wanted to ask just in case I was missing something amazing or fundamental.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

vas0line posted:

Rane finally released a native iPad app for Serato: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/serato-remote/id661982948?ls=1&mt=8
I wonder if this means my Dicers are obsolete now...

In case you're still wondering - no. The app is a nice remote, and has surprisingly low latency even over wifi. There's just nothing that can compete with an actual physical interface. I would consider the app more useful for effects integration than cue/loop functions - and while triggering the sampler through the app has the same downfalls as cue/looping, there are advantages there in the visuals displayed (whereas I always forget how I mapped whatever midi controllers.)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Alright guys, I'm have a crisis of faith - what should I do? I've been using Rane hardware for a long time (10+ years), but I've been a little disappointed because I upgraded to a TTM 57sl *just* before the new line of mixers was announced. By the time Serato told everyone the 57 would not be supported by Serato DJ, it was too late for me to return it.

Right now, NI is selling the Traktor Kontrol Z2 for $599, and I'm pretty tempted by it. I like Serato and Rane a lot, but right now aside from loyalty I can't think of a reason not to try switching. What do you guys things?

For the sake of completeness, I'm at about a 50/50 of mixing and scratching.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

Can you run the z2 off an iPad in traktor dj?

Not really, it can be used as an audio intergace for the iPad app, but the faders and knobs don't do anything if my understanding is correct.

Edit: but the iPad or iPhone apps can be used for prepping tracks and syncing to the computer's library, which is really cool. I wish Serato would pick up the pace with their own iOS / mobile development.

TheWevel posted:

What's wrong with just using your 57SL with Scratch Live? I think Serato DJ still has a ways to go before it fully compares to SL. By the time that happens (at least 2 years), it'll probably be time for a new mixer.

Nothing's actually wrong with the 57 and SSL setup - I'm mostly just miffed that the announcements were timed so that I couldn't return the 57 before it was announced as unsupported by Serato. It's not really an issue with either product, but rather that the way it was handled has made me question my loyalty to Serato. The z2 is currently on sale for enough that I could flip the 57 on ebay or something and make money buying the z2.

Edit: This is definitely not a real-world problem, just some goony poo poo.
You made me curious though - what do you think are the shortcomings in Serato DJ right now? I haven't heard of anything from SSL that was broken or not working as well in DJ.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 5, 2014

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
I use iTunes (ugh) because it can be used to make smart-playlists that are cross-platform/software. It's really nice for its intended purpose, but iTunes doesn't play well with having its library synced or shared.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, you have to be careful with equipment dealers. I don't know anything about L&M, but when I was first getting into DJing I had a really bad experience with a local gear shop. They were too small to stock much, so anything I bought through them that wasn't bottom-shelf stockable items had to be ordered - this was in the days before it was common to just order things online. I ordered a pair of turntables, and later a mixer through them, and it took *forever* to arrive. Every time I checked I would get some story about how shipping is slow, or the company (Numark at the time) was taking forever shipping.

I happened to run into one of the employees of the shop playing a party at a college, and he was using some of the same equipment I had ordered. So I chatted with him for a bit, and asked him how he liked it, told him I was looking forward to finally getting mine in etc, etc... Which was all well and good until a few weeks later my stuff 'finally came in', and I saw the scuffs and marks on my turntables that I'd watched him put on them while he was spinning at the party.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
M447 really can't be beat. I'm using Ortofon scratchs right now, and they are nice - but I'm mostly keeping them on because I would feel silly having paid for them if I didn't use them. The M447's are bulletproof and have a great bandwidth.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cart of champs.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I have Whitelabels on 1200s and I mostly use timecodes but also still throw records on from time to time. I _never_ get a skip on the timecodes and will occasionally get them on some of my more beat on records. Often I'll max the weight if I'm mixing hiphop vinyl and that solves that.

I'm guessing you know this, but depending on the software you're using and its settings, it may be filtering out skips for you (ie Serato in Relative mode.)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Probably depends on the size of your head. I have a larger head and find them either uncomfortable or far too loose, rarely finding the sweet spot in the adjustment. I want to like them, but sort of regret buying them.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

88h88 posted:

Because Pioneer.

My guess is that they rushed this out as an entry-level product because Pioneer gear is getting used in that silly summer DJ movie. This way there's something obvious for all the kids that watch it to buy.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Shure M44-7s are the only answer.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Yeah, a similar things happens to me in Serato DJ occasionally. Some files just get touched by other software or something, and when Serato opens them next the beatgrid is off by a few frames of the file. I haven't found a 'solution' for that, other than just quickly readjusting the grid.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever had issues in Serato DJ with a controller not connecting to a MacBook? I have a Rane Sixty-four and a MacBook on the latest OSX release. OSX recognizes the mixer as an audio device, but it doesn’t show up in the MIDI preferences and Serato fails to connect to it.

The mixer works fine on a windows laptop, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the mixer.

I’ve tried removing all .kext files, and whatnot and reinstalling them - which it does prompt me to do when I’ve removed them and plugged in the mixer.

I contacted Serato’s support but they are stumped so far.

edit: I should mention that this mixer used to work with this MacBook. It stopped around the release of OSX Sierra and hasn’t worked since. I just hadn’t had time to fuss with it until now.

Also, this is a great suggestion, but I have tried this and it didn’t work:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2018

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Oh, yeah - I have. Should have mentioned that. The mixer doesn’t even appear in the MIDI configuration panel. It only shows up as an audio device.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

revmoo posted:

I'm not going to be in the middle of a set and hit pause, minimize Serato, open a BPM tapper, tap it out, and then key it in. First off Serato should be getting this stuff correct, but second off, fixing stuff should be an on-the-fly move that I can do visually by dragging the grid around.

So anyways, I start messing around and somehow Serato gets stuck in this idea that the track is now 180 BPM and it's all super fast. gently caress, so how do I fix this? My deck pitch faders are in their locked position... In Traktor, the master BPM would still be @ 130 so I could just hit sync and be back there. But there is no master BPM in Serato...

Why is there no master BPM in Serato? How should I have fixed this?

It almost kind of feels like Serato DJ's just don't even touch Sync, or beat grids, or anything.

There are absolutely simpler ways to adjust and fix beat grids in serato. I never really key in a tempo, I usually just go in and stretch or slip the grid serato 'guessed' - if it's really bad, or I need to tighten up a live drummer I set a few downbeats manually.

I don't know why everyone is pretending like these features are unknown to them.

I'm sure there is a better tutorial out there, but this is what I came up with after a quick search. If you're coming from Traktor, you can probably just skip down to the 'Editing...' section or even just jump to the shortcut keys they list at the end.

https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/202523390-Introduction-to-Beatgrids?mobile_site=true

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
The 'Master Tempo' thing is definitely a different workflow in Serato - you should look up a tutorial or guide on Serato's "smart sync" if you're interested in that stuff.

Basically depending on how which deck you set 'sync' on - that gets assigned as something like the 'master' and you can change which deck is 'master' by turning on sync from the other deck (there may be a shift key involved in doing this - I have forgotten the exact process.)

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Now that I'm looking around for this stuff, it is surprisingly hard to find basic written tutorials for anything. I guess everyone moved to making those intolerable video explainers. That's actually a weird barrier to entry for learning the software side of things.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Edit: never mind! I found the issue and it was on my end. A sync setting got changed on one of my computers and screwed things up.

Has anyone been playing around with Serato's Tidal integration? I gave it a shot this weekend (just at home, obviously) and it's kinda fun, but I have an issue with it and my workflow:

I have two computers I DJ from - an old MacBook that is tied to my at-home/bedroom gear, and a newer one that is my mobile gigging laptop. For years I have run a sync program (resilio sync, formerly BitTorrent sync) to sync my library and Serato settings (the folder on drive with my music, as well as the one in my user folder). This lets me keep the exact same tracks and beatgrid/cue points/flips/whatever on both machines. However, it doesn't seem to work with the Tidal integration.

Does anyone else do something similar to this? Is it working for you? Or is this just not possible yet with the new streaming integration?

Edit: never mind! I found the issue and it was on my end. A sync setting got changed on one of my computers and screwed things up.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 12, 2019

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

You may have seen my posts earlier ITT about my endless quest to sync my DJ libraries and databases across three computers in both Traktor and Rekordbox. This utility you're using, would it work for these purposes? I'm on a Mac, if it makes a difference.

Yeah, wish I had a good solution there..
this utility works really well for syncing within a particular library / piece of software. I basically just use it to keep my Serato library folders identical between machines - but that won’t help at all for moving between different dj software, unfortunately.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

(Words about my synced Serato library setup.)

Never mind! I found the issue and it was on my end. A sync setting got changed on one of my computers and screwed things up.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mister Speaker posted:

I sent you a PM with some questions about Resilio. Cheers!

Did you see my response? I can't tell if it went through on my side.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe

nullfunction posted:

Tomorrow I'm DJing for a guy who is running in the San Francisco marathon (he's livestreaming it from a GoPro strapped to his chest).

Weirdest DJ gigs, go!

Please have Gin & Juice cued up for if he runs into a bathroom.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Since we’ve got an old and new series of posts going - I’m way out of practice and have been meaning to get back into into it for ages. Anyone have recommendations for playlists/record club packs/a sampler album with reasonably modern tracks?

I’d like something I can use to get back into practice at my technique while I start my own digging again - and I’d rather not feel like I’m just “going back to the well” or playing the stalest tracks while I do that.

Genre doesn’t matter that much, I’d take any suggestions.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
Do you actually use CDs in your CDJs? If so, check their manual/specs to see how much of an angle they’re rated for. Otherwise you’ll burn out the motor for the disc drive way sooner than normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Fun Shoe
How is it 2024 and there is still no way to do serato library organization and song prep on mobile?