Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

AKP posted:

I'm planning on using Ableton - All of my friends tell me that learning to beatmatch is a complete bitch, Ableton can do it flawlessly.. Unless my friends are full of poo poo and exaggerating,
I have more faith in you guys knowing more than them.

Uh pretty much any software can beatmatch and Ableton Live is much clumsier on the whole in my opinion if you're just straight up DJing; my friend who is an effects junkie routed Traktor through Live for fx processing but unless you're doing some wonky poo poo like that you'll probably be better off with something more basic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Sorry for this really really loving basic question, but what in general is the max I want to stay on one song? Like for the entire duration of a song seems a bit too long, but I just have no general sense of things. Also I only have an APC-20 so no knobs and using a touchpad is a bitch to control parameters.

It depends largely on the genre, if you're doing bloghouse/top40, two drops/two minutes has proven to be plenty of time for me, considering it lets you play a decent amount of the song while still keeping things moving along and not letting one song sit for too long.