Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the frim fram.
Frimmin' on the fram.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

I need some help guys!

I don't know whether to post here or the dj mixes thread since to be honest, but I'd rather not post there until i'm ready! kinda like a goal.

ANYWAY! For mixes what's a good way to transition into a new song? Just chop over? Or maybe use a effect or loop the last beat to try and beat match it into the next?

I'm having a hard time here.

also since im discussing effects! is less more? do you simply play the song and just mess around with the treble and bass a bit or leave as is. or do you try and throw in some loops or any effects?

I would start with a focus on smooth beat matching and simple/smooth transitions. If you're concerned with a smooth, continuous groove - that's the perfect place to focus. A lot of where you will crossfade will depend on the song, as some songs will build, build, build and BAM. Others will have different beat structures and you will have to see what they do in order to choose where and how to transfer to them. I wouldn't worry about large amounts of effects at all until you've mastered your choice of transition. If you want to start playing around with the channel eq's, perhaps start by slowly exchanging the bass - gradually drop the bass out of the track your mixing out of, while bringing up the bass of the new track. It keeps the original tracks sound present while introducing the new songs prominence. You will start to play with things and see how they sound, and where it is best to apply them.

It really does become a personal choice. What I have described is probably the most simplified way for you to get yourself in a comfortable position - and then play around to your heart's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Jerobi
Apr 19, 2010

Frimmin' on the frim fram.
Frimmin' on the fram.

relative_q posted:

I believe that the best thing that one can do to become a better DJ is to just listen to a metric fuckton of music. No amount of crazy controller skill or scratching or whatever the gently caress can make up for not having a well-developed taste and aesthetic. Most of the best DJs out there are dudes who have spent half their lives buried up to their necks in the music they play learning their records inside and out: what they do, where they go, how they feel.

Personally, as a producer in addition to being a DJ, I'm not a huge fan of the whole controllerism thing, simply because I feel like I spend a shitload of effort writing tracks for the dancefloor and structuring them in ways that are interesting to listen to but still DJ friendly. It may be an ego thing (it almost definitely is) but I feel like some dude just deciding to loop a few bars of my track and layer it with a few bars from some other dudes' tracks is a little disrespectful to the music that you're playing. I've always felt like my job as a DJ is to be a little more curative, but then again, I'm not playing to 1000-person rooms at 1am, and I don't really have a whole lot of desire to. However, I don't think that having that sort of attitude necessarily stands in the way of party-rocking; one of the best sets I've ever seen was Robag Wruhme at Nove Lounge in Detroit a few years ago, and he basically just stood up there and played records end to end, letting each one of them stretch out and do what it does, and he had the entire room flipping the gently caress out by simply playing really excellent records.

This, a thousand times this. Learn your music. Learn as much music as you can. If you can move from simply using the tracks to knowing your songs and what they do on their own/what kind of vibe or groove they create - your understanding of your job as a DJ and your ability to do it well will be far above many of today's simple "sync" button pushers.