Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

F'Nog posted:

To be honest, it appears (to me) that buying a mac is a good option because they tend to just work.

To elaborate on this...

A long time ago there were actually things built into the Mac OS that made working with audio a lot easier. Windows has mostly caught up, I think, so really in terms of the operating system there's not much of an advantage to one or the other. HOWEVER, the "they just work" thing is true, and it's because there isn't too much variation between Apple hardware. There are like 3 types of laptops and they're almost all the same, so it's really easy to make an audio interface that accounts for all the possible combinations in hardware. On the other hand, there are a million different combinations of Windows machine and I believe that's where most of the problems come from... it's not that the operating system is any worse, but more problems will arise when your drivers and hardware have to be compatible with every single combination of PC.

I personally would recommend saving for a Mac for DJing purposes for the above reasons, but it really doesn't matter as long as you do some research and get PC hardware that's proven itself to work with whatever type of audio hardware you're getting. And yeah, that $600 Macbook will be fine for DJing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
We should def have a mix challenge at least once to kick this thread off... I'd suggest 10-minute mixes though because having to listen to 10 hour-long mixes is kind of a drag.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

chrix posted:

If you can't beatmatch, it's going to be very hard for me to respect you as a DJ, let alone refer to you as a DJ. Leaning on the software (Traktor, Ableton) to do the hard work for you takes the whole idea of being a DJ and throws it in the toilet. At that point, you're a glorified jukebox.

This is stupid.

DJing is, for the most part, playing dance/club music for drunk people. Nobody on the floor knows or cares how you're playing music, they want to dance and take drugs and hopefully get laid at the end of the night. You're there to play music and as long as the output sounds good then you're doing a good job. If you play for the Real Dudes on the floor who know about DJing then you're doing it wrong, unless you're Qbert or something.

I don't care what equipment any DJ uses. I've played with people using every single kind, from controllers to Serato/Traktor to vinyl to Ableton to CDJs and everything in between. You can kill it with any of the above, and you can be terrible with any of the above.

Seriously, if you want some laughs go ask any of your non-DJ friends about DJ equipment (club girls are best for this). I asked a friend what she thinks is going on when a DJ has a laptop on stage and she had literally zero clue. Nobody gives a gently caress, use any equipment you want, just play good songs and mix them well and you're cool.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Chitin posted:

Right... I'm pretty new to this whole thing but it seems as though what the DJ does is way more in-depth than beatmatching. Most DJs I've met are thrilled about auto beatmatching, because it lets them skip the chore and pay more attention to their real job.

Edit: It's like saying you won't respect any secretary that can't write shorthand or something...

Yeah.

And please don't take my above comments as me saying that DJing isn't a real art... I've had DJs save my life more than a few times, believe me. I'm just saying that nobody cares if you can beatmatch, and in 2011 why would you need to be able to do that anyway? Of course it's a great thing to know and it'll totally help you in any rhythm-based art (production, DJing with ableton, etc.) but having that as the arbitrary "you're a DJ / you're not a DJ" thing is silly. If that's your opinion, great, but I don't want nublets who are trying to get into this to somehow think that they need to buy CDJs in order to be A Real DJ.

To that DnB dude, I saw Frankie Knuckles a couple of weeks ago... he played off of those new CDJs that take memory sticks. He moved very, very little during his 4-hour set... and it was the single best set I've ever experienced, bar none. Nobody cared that he wasn't moving, or that he was playing off CDJs, because he loving destroyed it musically and to me that's all that matters.

That Wicked Walrus fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 7, 2011

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I'm not really sure why manual beatmatching gets you guys off but to each his own, I suppose.

Gonna go 'head and quote THE GOD Richie Hawtin here:

quote:

“People say that beatmatching is the art of DJing, but I’m sorry, beatmatching isn’t really creative, it’s just a skill,” says Richie.

“Sure, you can be pretty creative just by beatmatching and cutting up records, but I prefer to spend my time in the DJ booth thinking about the construction of an interesting musical journey and less about timing two records together.”

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Like I said, you can be a great DJ on any equipment. Likewise, you can be a poo poo DJ on any equipment.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Melee, I'm not sure what you're trying to do with that.

Qirex, yours is missing the "haircut" step.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Or you can just focus on your local scene? I know a lot of talented dudes and ladies who play exactly what they want here.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I play out in SF and Berkeley at least once a month. What kind of poo poo do you play?

That SFPD thing was just at afterhours parties IIRC, I haven't heard about it recently. But yeah gently caress that, the Fire Marshall has been cracking down on other poo poo recently... they really do seem to hate nightlife here. They've been giving venues trouble with capacities recently, which sucks.

That Wicked Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 8, 2011

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
That's pretty sick dude. What do you use the Maschine for?

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Cowboy. posted:

Opinions: M-audio trigger finger for 40 bucks, worth it?

Not really sure what the hell I'd use it for but hey, options.

What do you normally DJ with? I use Serato and use an old trigger finger for looping/cue points/effects and it's perfect for that.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
It's funny to me that you go so far out of your way to fulfill requests, they're like the bane of my DJ life

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Once upon a time, Macs did have some inherent software/hardware advantages over PC's in terms of music production and audio programs. Now they're basically equal, although I think there is one difference that's worth mentioning... there are basically millions of possible combinations of hardware for Windows computers, whereas with Macs you have an incredibly small number of hardware configurations possible. For this reason it can be easier to get things to "just work" on a Mac because manufacturers don't have to take crazy hardware combos into account, and it's less likely that there will be weird hardware conflicts with your machine and your music gear. This isn't a huge deal and you can fully get around it with a bit of research and computer savvy.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
DJ Ayres has been doing a series of mixes called Heavy Warmup, music you'd hear early in the night (I think they're meant to be the 11pm - midnight slot but that's NYC where things stay open till 4 on the regular).

This one by DJ 7L is blowing my mind:

http://soundcloud.com/tandarecords/heavy-warmup-vol-5-dj-7l

but they're all great.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
RCMP is really sick. Welcome to the thread :)

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

relative_q posted:

Thanks, dude. Did you manage to get a copy of the 12"? If not, I still have a few left taking up space in my apartment if you want one.

I don't have the EP actually, I've just heard your stuff from apt one posting it on the hollerboard a ways back (that guy is an ill DJ too). Also, as an aside, I just switched my personal site over to indexhibit based on your page... it's exactly what I wanted, so thanks for the inspiration :)

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
For your first gig: practice a lot, make sure you know what the deal with the equipment at the club is, show up a bit early maybe, and get drunk but not too drunk.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Ey-yo gently caress that Felix, you gotta hit 'em with that 13, 14 minute version.

You know what im sayin'?

You just gotta hit 'em with that poo poo where they just marinate.
Where they just...where they just, they just engulfed in the poo poo.
Where they just... where they...

I hate when a Mother Fucker play a 4 minute version of a...
You cant even get in to ya, ya thing,
You know? You can't even get into your thing on a 4 minute version?
You know what im sayin?

I wanna make...

This, this album goes out to all the Mother Fuckers that like 15, 20 minute versions of a mother fuckin record - where you can get into your thing, you feel me?

I'm sending this album out to all the Mother Fuckers in the after-hour spots!

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Sjoewe posted:

I usualy don't bother getting to the club before 1:30, but then again that's just how we roll here in Europe :smug:

that's last call here :suicide:

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Not sure if this even applies to you, but being confident or faking it can mean a lot... if you look like you're supposed to be behind the decks, are having a good time, don't flip out when you trainwreck, people will be way more into it. It's like, Skrillex isn't actually doing too much when he flips out over turning a knob on his controller, but people love that poo poo... not that you have to emulate Skrillex, but the idea of being kind of a performer as opposed to just a dude playing records can work well.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Skrillex was a bad example, and honestly I personally don't care what DJs look like when they're playing as long as the music is awesome, but that said I DO think a bit of corny "performing" can be a good thing depending on the crowd/type of party. I'm for sure not a huge fan of Skrillex / the rockstar DJ thing, but I think you can learn a bit from them. I may be coming from a different place here as I mostly do rap/party music at bars as opposed to techno, but I think at least looking like you're not bored as gently caress behind the decks can have a positive effect on the party.

That Wicked Walrus fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jul 21, 2011

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
http://vjforums.com/showthread.php?t=6637 looks like it'll work, seems like you already have your mixer connected to the PC so try that

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Twiin posted:

I've been DJing since I was fifteen. I started on vinyl and tapes(!).

Forget vinyl. Learning how to DJ on vinyl if you're going to be using controllers is like learning to drive a 16-wheeler because you want to buy a Honda Civic. Learn to love the Sync button. Become the best loving person in your city at using those controllers in ways that vinyl could never be used. Look forward. Be tomorrow's DJ.

this this this this and this. learning to beatmatch is never a bad thing and will totally help you with DJing or any other rhythm-based pursuit, but acting like a DJ in 2011 needs to know how to beatmatch vinyl to start is a bit silly.

hating on the sync button is the new hating on serato is the new hating on cdjs is the new hating on djs for taking guitarists' jobs is the new hating on recording technology for taking jobs from in-person musicians.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I posted this in this same thread the last time this argument came up:

That Wicked Walrus posted:

This is stupid.

DJing is, for the most part, playing dance/club music for drunk people. Nobody on the floor knows or cares how you're playing music, they want to dance and take drugs and hopefully get laid at the end of the night. You're there to play music and as long as the output sounds good then you're doing a good job. If you play for the Real Dudes on the floor who know about DJing then you're doing it wrong, unless you're Qbert or something.

I don't care what equipment any DJ uses. I've played with people using every single kind, from controllers to Serato/Traktor to vinyl to Ableton to CDJs and everything in between. You can kill it with any of the above, and you can be terrible with any of the above.

Seriously, if you want some laughs go ask any of your non-DJ friends about DJ equipment (club girls are best for this). I asked a friend what she thinks is going on when a DJ has a laptop on stage and she had literally zero clue. Nobody gives a gently caress, use any equipment you want, just play good songs and mix them well and you're cool.

There have always been sucker DJs and there will always be sucker DJs and it has nothing to do with the equipment they're using.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
That was my point, mostly. Qbert's audience is a bunch of DJ nerds, yours isn't.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'

Chitin posted:

Nobody can call you out for being a laptop DJ if you're choosing not to spin vinyl but know how.

Maybe three people have ever stood on a dancefloor and thought this and those three people didn't come to dance anyway

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I don't think the APC40 is great for DJing.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Wrong, Ableton is fine for DJing, but the APC40 isn't great for it.

I'd use something like this: http://illgates.com/2011/07/ill-gates-dj-template/

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Sjoewe bring back whatever you had there before that was lol

And yeah, you don't know. Have a good relationship with the bar/venue and throw a good party and they might be less inclined to rip you off but in general, nightlife is not the most up-and-up industry and you're kind of at the whim of the bar owner or promoter.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
I don't know what kind of scene you're talking about but I would frown really hard at anybody playing drumstep at 9pm... no offense but there's really no way to ramp the energy up like that at that time of night, people aren't hosed up enough yet (unless you're Rusko and this is a music festival or something). You MIGHT get away with funky moombahton or chill, non-wobbly dubstep but I think that high energy music is a bad idea. At 9pm I'm playing like, Tom Tom Club and Nas instrumentals.

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Watching other people do what they do and integrating that into your own creation and performance is, like, how art progresses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
Yeah that's expensive, but if you're in the middle of nowhere you might not have a choice. Generally 300 - 400 each for 1200s in good shape is pretty standard. $900 a pair isn't TERRIBLE if they come with flight cases and needles and other accessories but in general it's a bit high.