Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

beeps-a-palooza posted:

wait a second, then what the gently caress is the point of itch if you can map midi to ssl.

why does serato have two different products that do essentially the same exact thing

Because Serato is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

Well, SSL doesn't have real internal mixing features, and the MIDI implementation on the decks is poor at best compared to the super-tight HID that they have in Itch. Different markets really.

Somehow Native Instruments figured out how to put it all under one hood.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Actually Serato was the answer to Final Scratch 2 which was Serato/NI's DVS.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

It is a DJM900 with a drink coaster in the middle. In all seriousness though, it just feels crowded and not performance friendly compared to the 800/900. I love using the 800. The 2000 though, it feels like a mixer that just gets in your way.

The 2000 just look like a giant game gear, I heard they discontinued it though since no one bought it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

stuker posted:

I've been looking into getting a Traktor S4 the past couple of weeks, but I just noticed Amazon pulled any listings they had recently for actual vendors. Is that some sort of indication that an hardware upgrade's coming, or is it just a coincidence? I know the S4 gets a lot of love, but the last thing I want to do is drop $800-900 on a controller at the end of its cycle.

It means you live in California

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I always throw in random rock songs in my dubsteps like RATM - Testify, Rammstein - Du Hast, AC/DC - Thunderstruck, and you can never go wrong with dropping a thriller/billie jean/any mj song at random in any set. In my house sets I always like to throw in cheese like Venga Boys - Boom!BoomBoom!, Deejay Alice - Better Off Alone, DJ Jean - The Launch and it always goes over well.

When I'm VJing I have a bunch of movie intros to start off my sets, I usually use the opening of the Layer Cake.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Adding to what everyone else said, no point in jumping into vinyl DJing at this point unless you're doing it solely to scratch. I'm waiting for the NS8, then I'll jump into the digital dj world. Until that happens I like my Technics and DVS. That said, the average old school DJ is still worlds better than most good controller DJs.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I don't know anyone that's ever gone to a Qbert show expecting anything but a technical showcase.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

That Wicked Walrus posted:

That was my point, mostly. Qbert's audience is a bunch of DJ nerds, yours isn't.

Yeah. It's funny, most of the DJs I know that are vinyl crusaders don't beatmatch that much either. Everyone just visually cues stuff up on Serato and checks in the headphones real quick to make sure. Yet the same people hate Traktor DJs because they have a button that does it for them (but it still requires a lot of time to set stuff up the grid points so they're good :ssh:).

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Ableton in general isn't good for DJing unless you're a producer doing a set for a music festival type deal.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Irish Thunder posted:

So I just ordered a Traktor Kontrol S4. I want to have a cheap laptop to go with it (currently most of my music is on a desktop). As the Traktor Kontrol has an integrated audio card and all that, what should I be looking for in a laptop to pair with it? Just a poo poo box with a big fast HD, and decent CPU and RAM?

Depends if you're using sample decks and FX.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Im surprised by the lack of mocking of Serato DJ Intro in this thread

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

Thing is, it is dope. Think about it- it is basically Traktor Duo minus custom mappings for free, and shares a library with SSL.

Because their current bread and butter that makes them money, ssl, is a massive piece of poo poo. It's pretty telling when VSL is so terrible (they havent updated since April 2010) that people flee to a 3rd party plug in. Seems they've abandoned the bridge too (hasn't been updated since July 2010). All they've done is let SSL declne into a poo poo state, and it doesn't even work on lion.

I've given up on the disaster that is SSL and have switched toi TSP2, which actually works.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Professorbx posted:

How is SSL a piece of poo poo? It is a compelling program that does exactly what it says it does, offer tight timecode control of music.

Unless you're using keylock, which has been a problem complained about for years.

quote:

It has really cool macro FX functions that are easy to map, unlike the pain in the rear end that is the controller manager.

Yeah, but I use my mixer/EFX-1000 for effects so this doesn't really matter to me. Traktor still does a better job of FX and the way it treats your CPU usage.

quote:

It works with Lion, it just doesn't like hot plugging (I know, I have used it).

There's still a lot of quirks outside hot plugging like offline mode analyzing crashing.

quote:

[VSL, yea, you have a point, but how can you update the Bridge when Ableton has offered no substantial updates to open up to?

The bridge is super unstable and crashes all the time, that's why no one uses it outside of a studio setting. It's only a matter of time when I start using the bridge before I have to force quit Serato to restart it because something happened. It was interesting to toy around for a while but it going boring because of bugs. IMO TSP2 sample decks do watch the bridge promised to do in a lot simpler fashion.

quote:

As for declining, sometimes you have to drop back and work on your app behind the scenes instead of releasing updates that may add some features but also break things (like NI did with Traktor 2.02/2.03, which severely broke MIDI platter control on a ton of controllers).

Theres widespread problems with 2.3 corrupting libraries, just go look at the serato help discussion. I'm not sure how big the Serato team is, but unlike NI they only do DVS. It seems in the past couple years they've started a whole bunch of products, and half assed the support on them. SSL, ITCH, VSL, Bridge, and now Intro? It's a pretty telling sign what the dj scene thinks of SSL when it was almost 100% dominated by Serato in the past, but its become about 50/50 in the past year.

quote:

I'm a Traktor user through and through (from Final Scratch 1.1 which was Traktor-based all the way to TSP2), but SSL is a great application. There is a lot that I wish that Traktor did more like SSL, like offer better customization of waveform layouts and have a controller manager that wasn't so painful to use that I had to spend money on a 3rd party mapping application.

I only wish that Traktor handled it's library in the way that Serato does. I prefer the custom mappings in Traktor, because Serato gets goofy when you have more than one non official serato controller running with it.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 5, 2011

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I've heard terrible things, and great things (easy way to make a fuckload of money). I never got into it even after being offered because I have had no desire to be on the receiving end of a angry bride for ruining her special day.

Although I did do a post wedding reception/honey moon once. One of their guests were so drunk that she put all of her weight on my speaker stand and the speaker fell on her and gave her a concussion.... she also took out my speaker. She threatened to sue me, luckily one guy (who was sympathetic to me) that was there was filming it and sent me the footage that showed that she was responsible. I sent her lawyer the footage showing it was her dumbass that did it, and then he stopped threatening to sue me.

After that, dealing with drunk idiots at night clubs didn't seem so bad.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Unless you're a producer getting a mad amount of traffic on soundcloud, or have connections with established big local DJs, anyone inquiring to book you is "pay to play" thats how the scene is.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Nindoze posted:

Yea forgot to mention the obvious forfeiting of the cueing output, so the question is aimed mainly for the headphoneless style of djing/live set performance.

Don't do headphoneless DJing, just don't.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Where is the Professorbx breakdown of namm?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

keevo posted:

What kind of breakdown are you looking for? I didn't go to NAMM but I've been keeping up with it this past weekend.

I just wanted his take on the Rane 62

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Just ordered a Rane 62; whelp my budget

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

a foolish pianist posted:

Why'd you go for the 62 over the others?

I don't like having a bunch of midi controllers lying around/lots of cabling with external sound cards.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

In 500+ shows, multiple states, multiple "scenes", couple of years I personally have never dealt with this once.

To be fair, I think he's describing college nights

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

This is my review of the 62:

OWNS, best two channel mixer ever,

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

TheWevel posted:

I want one but I'm already sitting on top of $1200 worth of gear that I need to sell...I don't need to add my mixer to that pile.

PS: I have a lightly used Numark NS6 and a pair of CDJ400's (with cases) that I need to get rid of.

edit: how are the buttons on the 62? hard plastic or Traktor X1 soft rubber style?

They're hard plastic like the color effect buttons on the 800. Sell that poo poo though, this is probably the best mixer I've owned since the 56, feels like a true successor to the 56 as opposed to the 57.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

How are the faders on the 62? I don't know if I could give up the faders on my 57sl.

Same Rane magnetic faders!

Played out with it over the weekend and the dual USB ports for Vs set I did owned bones.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Anyone here with Serato use smart playlists? I've been avoiding itunes and just been using folders, but I'm realizing that's self-defeating.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Mines around 571... not including videos :gonk:

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

you need therapy or something. should we call a&e and tell them we have a hoarder?

571 gb!!!!

You crazy son.

Well that's what triggered this, that's 10 years worth of poo poo and vinyl wav rips. Going through and deleting all non- 320s and finding replacement versions. So much of this poo poo isn't even tagged right.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

vas0line posted:

I want to upgrade the old rear end Caffeine record bag I've had for the last decade or so. I don't even use it for records any more. Sad, really. It's just barely not big enough to fit everything.

Anyone know anything about this: http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp ?
It's gotta fit a 2-channel mixer, 13" laptop, SSL interface, needle case, and all the other usual poo poo.

I have this bag, it's pretty dope

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

I just use cans with molded ear plugs (http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html), I don't like in-ear stuff because I think they're way too fragile.

Spent the last few days importing my library to iTunes and cutting it down, retagging every correctly, and implementing playlist codes into song tags for smart playlists. Cut it down to 73 gigs. It's something that I never ever want to do again. I backed it up to three different external hard drives, including one cold storage.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Has anyone here used Numark TTXUSBs or Vestax PDX-2000/3000s? I was thinking of getting a pair because I don't want to gig out with my Techs anymore.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 25, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Quidnose posted:

S2 came and it looks badass, can't wait to start working with it.

Realized I have no speakers, however. :hurr: Is there currently a cheapish solution for bedroom DJing speakers? I don't need something super fancy, but if I'm gonna go buy something I don't want it to sound like total poo poo.

Anything on here should be fine

http://www.agiprodj.com/advanced_search_result.html?keywords=studio+monitor&osCsid=8ad379eb4216106911e949e3c9e7ff68&x=0&y=0

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

gently caress Club Controller DJs :argh:

After this weekend, I've given up using turntables and there's no way I'm going to gig out with my personal ones. Almost every single club/bar in my area has hosed up turntables from those assholes putting those stupid oversized videogame controllers on turntables and pounding away buttons on them. The RCA channel on the right turntable was completely dead, so I ended up DJing with one turntable w/ a broken pitch fader and the other internal mode (for the third time this year). Since they don't make Technics anymore, there's not a club out there that's going to replace them. So looks like the next few years will be the last for turntables inside nightclubs. Pretty sad if you ask me.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Blowdryer posted:

So after my first public Djing experience I have a few questions:

1. At college/house parties are there always drunk people who decide it's a good idea for them to gently caress with the knobs and sliders I'm clearly using?

Yes

quote:

2. Do I need earplugs if it's just a house party? (I know it's loud but I can't imagine it'd be as loud as a venue would be)

Yes

quote:

3. Can anybody recommend some specific headphones for me? I'd say my limit would be 100$ (unless that's the price of crap headphones or something then I'll go higher).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-RP...3#ht_1953wt_907

quote:

4. Is it weird that I really don't want to use any effects at all when mixing?

subjective

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Sjoewe posted:

I once nearly punched a DJ playing before me because he set up his controller on the tonearm, bending the poo poo out of it, destroying the needle. The utter disrespect... ughh

:ughh:

You should have shot him, or at the least put him on blast on Twitter.

quote:

You must see a lot of lovely controller DJs then

I wasn't aware there was another kind.

quote:

I've got nothing against MIDI-controllers, but many of the people I've encountered using them are total dicks when it comes to general DJ-etiquette. If you bring a controller, please plug it in beforehand, or bring some cd's/vinyl for a switch over, but please don't start connecting all your poo poo in the middle of my set in a 5 square feet booth.

This is what happens when you have an instant entry into the DJ Scene, as opposed to the long arduous road it used to be. I can't tell you how many times I've seen controller DJs on before me that have everything in the RED.

RED = MORE FIST BUMPING BRO /KILLIN' IT :c00l:

quote:

The truth is that most DJs are lovely. I am biased against DJs because of that.

I was at this bar a few weeks ago and saw some dude in the corner running virtual DJ on his 21" iMac without a controller. It made me hurt. Hurt because I knew he was getting paid.

True, but all controller DJs are lovely.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Rickets posted:

How in the hell do people get so bent up about this? There have always been and there will always be lovely DJs in clubs. End of story. I've seen people doing a terrible job DJing on turntables, CDJs, controllers, just their computer.. does it really matter what tool you're using for the job?

It's pretty easy to ignore my complaint and go off on irrelevant tangent I suppose. The old class of terrible DJs never destroyed the equipment. The old class of DJs never would purposely disconnect my external HDD while trying to plug in their video game controllers. These are all new things that are exclusively associated with controller DJs.

quote:

Song choice and reading your crowd are what makes you a DJ. Beatmatching by ear, physically touching vinyl, whatever..that doesn't mean poo poo if you pick lovely songs and/or ignore your crowd.

I've never heard this tired argument before.

quote:

Yes, being able to buy a controller for a couple hundred bucks and download songs from the internets has made it possible for any Tom, Dick, and Harry to get into DJing...but without real skill they're not going to get anywhere so what's the big loving deal?

You obviously aren't in any active club scene or would know that they DO get somewhere. Promoters want to keep their costs down to the bare minimum, lots of promoters are becoming Controller DJs themselves to completely cut people out. It doesn't matter about skill anymore, it matters how many people like your facebook page, and how many people follow you on twitter.

quote:

Does it get tiring being a hater all the time? WORK THOSE FROWN MUSCLES, BRO

You sound pretty mad about the truth. It always seems when someone makes good truthful points, they are immediately referred as a hater.

quote:

How old are you? Do you ever have fun when you go out, or are you always just making sure the person in the booth is playing vinyl?

You also sound pretty mad about the truth as well.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 2, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

oredun posted:

its not that if you use a controller you are a lovely DJ, its that lovely DJs typically use controllers in this day and age.

For me to get 5 grand of equipment took many years, so i learned how to use everything very well, but when someone buys an S4 or something, they have no fuckin clue how to use it or any techniques a "good" DJ would use while DJing.

So, i think the barrier to entry is so low and talent has fallin with it, its not so much that EVERYONE that uses a controller sucks dick, its just that most people with controllers do in fact suck due to lack of overall experience, the equipment has nothing to do with quality its more just an indicator of experience.

I frequently travel between SF and LA, and I can tell you almost every Controller DJ I've seen sucks. Those are major scenes too. The only one that I saw that was legitimately great was Ean Golden who actually uses the functions on his controller as opposed to having it be a glorified iTunes player.

If you have a controller, you have a shortcut to do lot's of interesting things. The problem is that nobody is doing interesting things with them. I have a turntable, it's very limited in its functionality but I can do lots of stuff with that. I'll leave it at that.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

blacksun posted:

Every time I hear this argument I just post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqX55INFCuc

Dave Clark (who was playing vinyl while you were wearing nappies) chairing a panel with Gregor Treshor, Paul Hamill (Psycatron), Terry Weerasinghe (head of marketing at NI), Rik Parkinson (Product Planner from Pioneer DJ) and Baptiste Grange (Serato's European Rep). In this hour long discussion they look at the positives and negatives, and all the arguments for and against the sync button compared to vinyl.

Please watch this before you decide to spew any more hate across the internet. Especially before you post stupid poo poo that makes you look dumb like: All controller DJ's are lovely.

(A person that learned to spin on vinyl, then cds, and now with controllers)

This is easily the worst post in this entire thread and doesn't have to do with anything being discussed. Thank you for hitting that new low.

quote:

I don't see how being wedded to a certain piece of hardware precludes people from learning tried and true skills though. Just tape off the sync buttons, switch off the phase meter and you're doing the same things as someone with a quantized CDJ2000 except for having an extra decimal of tempo control. Better yet, switch off the stripe and tempo meter, limit the amount of tracks you have access to around 50 and just mess with the lovely platters and faders on your cheapass controller. Hardcore.

I haven't posted a single post about the sync function. Why do all the controller DJs ITT think I give a poo poo about the sync button. Is there some kind of instant kick back in the brains of controller DJs that believe that when they read anything remotely close to criticizing controller DJs they stop reading the post and assume it's about the sync function, then type out posts defending the sync function with a :smug: heh vinyl elitist :smug: when that's not even the topic at hand?

Muck and Mire posted:

I love, love, love dudes complaining about controllers. It's like "hello, I know nothing of the history of the DJ and I'm gonna spout some bullshit right... here. Controllers are wack." Remember, please, that the original DJs got poo poo for playing records (which got poo poo themselves for replacing the need for live, in-studio musicians), and then CD dudes got poo poo for playing CDs, and then serato dudes got poo poo for using serato, and then finally controller dudes got poo poo for using controllers. I suppose you can contort yourself to pick a point at which the Realness stops and the fake dudes flood in but you shouldn't because you would be objectively wrong and you'd make yourself look like a drat fool.

If a dude with a $200 controller and an mp3 library is taking gigs from you, whose fault is that? It's your fault, or your scene's fault. I get the "barrier of entry" argument, and I'd probably agree that dudes were "realer" when you had to spend $15 each time you wanted a single song to play out, but that time is as dead as when you needed to have actual dudes in your radio station playing guitar because recorded music didn't exist so you might as well get the gently caress over it. It's 2012, anyone can make and DJ music, so complaining about guys who are playing Gotye electro bootlegs off 2-week-old controllers is a lot of wasted time you could be using to practice.

I'm not sure where you're going with this, what the point of this is, or who you're even addressing.

OG KUSH BLUNTS fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 3, 2012

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm addressing the guy ITT who is pining for "the old class of DJs." Which parties are you going to in SF, btw? I see plenty of controllers here, I know plenty of people who use them, and I've never noticed a difference between the two groups.

You must be going to a lot of blow up parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm older than 17 so yes you'd be right

oops, misread, thought you said I was going to blow up. name names bro, who was the last wack controller DJ you saw here in SF?

all of them