Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

These are both excellent.

edit: Sergei Trackmaninoff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Love hearing a new dope track in a set and checking it out, and it's like, 20 bpm out of your standard set range.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
*In the middle of some intense Drumcode/Intec/Terminal M techno set*

Me: Larry Levan's first true love affair remix would probably mix pretty well with this, I should probably drop it in right now.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Traktor or sale. Not sure if any beginners are lurking but you can do worse than muck around with it as a total newbie.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6BjKaLxjFA

As a die hard techno head.... I love this.

Although the people bumping into him are giving me anxiety haha.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Probably too simple for most of the people itt, but Ean Golden has started posting again for people that are starting out and using Traktor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOtzZM72OY

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 3, 2020

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
This owns lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5kFZ2UZ4uI

edit: stop it DAD you're RUINING MY MIX

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Watched some of Carl Cox's NYE Beatport stream.

Its not just that every track is a banger,

Or that he transitions seemlessly between each one.

Or that he can seemingly mix hard Techno, House Music, or any genre.

Its that he some how, broadcasting in an empty room to a stream of 10,000 people spamming twitch emotes, has incredible energy and enthusiasm for what he does.

Absolute legend.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The toughest realization for every bedroom DJ is that they're never leaving the bedroom and shouldn't bother learning Pioneer gear so just stick to Traktor, baby.

At least I turned off beatmatch and the phase guide though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj_X1l9mcdE

Out of all the drops possible, I can honestly say I was not expecting this from the first track of this Avalon Emerson set.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mister Speaker posted:

You do you! I'd be impressed to see that pulled off.

In a similar vein, a friend took me out to an underground Techno party last night, and while I did have a fantastic time, I was reminded of why Techno is one of my least favourite genres to hear DJs play out. I realize that's painting with extremely broad strokes - there are absolutely Techno subgenres I enjoy (usually the breaksy stuff) and even in the pummelling 4x4 kick domain there are some very cool sound textures and uses of space. But listening to boomy kickdrums all night is kind of exhausting, and a lot of the Techno DJs I've seen take... very strong liberties in their sets that irk me, like playing 135BPM tunes at 160, extremely wide tempo changes between songs, and throwing the idea of musical phrasing out the window - some transitions would even come in on the eighth note, which is not quite 'boots in a dryer' but very clangy to me.

To each their own, of course. It was certainly a vibe.

They just sound like bad DJs! As someone who loves techno that would give me the shits.

I do love playing old fast songs slow sometimes though. Mainly because everyone isn't on trucker speed any more.

Edit: the only bad time I have had was at a club where the DJ was just playing tech house same bpm all night and same transition each song: track b bass cut 4 bars, both tracks bass cut 4 bars, bring in track b's bass.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

some kinda jackal posted:

So spending time in Beatport or any other music service has made me realize I have no idea what the gently caress electronic genres even are. And I think I need to stop trying to figure it out before I go insane. This doesn’t bode well.

I had a stroke when they changed techno into two sub genres: "rumbling/stumbling" and "tweeking/peeking" or whatever.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

abuse culture. posted:

You’ll pry my Kontrol z1 from my cold, dead hands

Part of me thinks, that I was happiest when I just beat matched stuff with my Z1 instead of trying to "DJ for real".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
For example, 2 steps is a tone up or a tone down, mixing the two creates a tension/hip sort of pedal point sound which makes a transition sound really good as you pedal from one key into the "right" key and sounds dope a lot of the time.

But you probably couldn't run the songs together for 5 minutes in the mix.