Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

If that's real, I'll eat my DJM900.
That looks like a photoshop but I personally wouldn't make any bets against it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Plastic Dreams by Jaydee was the most popular bathroom/drug/drink break song when I was going out back in the Cretaceous era.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The DDJ-400 is $250 and comes with rekordbox. The similarly priced DDJ-SB3 has built-in scratch patterns but I wouldn’t consider Serato too mom-friendly. Maybe algoriddim djay if she has a Mac?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Genius. Thanks.
I think you're right. Rekordbox is probably the way to go.

There's a cheaper Pioneer but it doesn't have an audio interface, or I guess this thing if they balk at the price of the 400.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pioneer going full subscription model, quelle surprise

If you have "hardware unlock" controllers like DDJs the core level features are included. The big banner feature is cloud synced libraries but it's a) dropbox only and b) only with the most expensive plan.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rob Swift used to be so skinny he could spin himself on a turntable now he’s all huge.

A lot of his videos are mostly him complaining about how everyone else is doing it wrong. He’s a great DJ and probably an amazing 1:1 teacher but not a tutorial kind of guy. I’ve seen some really good videos from DJ TLM both on his own channel and I think Digital DJ Tips that are more instructional.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had maybe the most fun I've ever had since my vinyl days screwing around with djay on my iPad and a DDJ-400. The Tidal integration is genius.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mixer talk just reminded me that I have a new old stock Tascam XS-8 [rebadged Ecler Hak 320, made in Spain and everything] sitting in my closet I’ll never use. If anyone wants to make a good offer on it before it goes on eBay let me know, keep in mind shipping will be a ton.

[Gnarlycharlie this would not work for you]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I don't know, that thing looks pretty solid. If it weren't lacking curve adjust, I'd say it could be a decent battle mixer.

It's an excellent battle mixer it's just 2 channel with only 2 vinyl inputs so wouldn't work for your 4 deck thing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rekordbox came with my controller but I've only really used djay on my iPad since the whole point of the exercise was to not have to sit at my desk more and Rekordbox's interface is a loving disaster.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fat gay nonce posted:

The DJ Qbert DVDs are pretty good from what I remember.

They will also teach you excellent basic home repair techniques
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPxU5H7guTk

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d guess they’re assuming most bedroom djs will be using controllers because holy hell those are expensive.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got to see him waaaaay back in the olden times, he’s been great for like 30 years.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

When I saw Jazzy Jeff talking about it I figured they were good enough for scratching. If anyone ever gets a chance to see him live I strongly suggest it. He's one of the cleanest, most perfect sounding hip hop DJs ever. He does occasional livestreams too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like my DDJ 400 a lot, it comes with full Rekordbox and also works with Djay. All you need is headphones and speakers. I suggest picking up the Decksaver too, I don’t think cheap controllers are a built to keep out dust like pro gear.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I go to my local record shop and just clean out their $1-3 "electronic" records every time I'm there.
This is why I can't let myself get turntables again, I was a bargain bin fiend. White labels especially [most of them were garbage]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pretty much every big name DJ I see uses a laptop, even ones famous enough to have gear riders so I guess it’s just down to what you want to do. Obviously if you’re getting started a quality controller is a fraction of the price and IMO if you’re not fully committed to DJing as a hobby don’t drop 4 figures out of the gate. Also all the standalone systems have different features and usability and you should figure out what you like before buying anything expensive.

If Jazzy Jeff and Mixmaster Mike feel comfortable using laptops you should be too, unless you don’t like them and want to use vinyl or whatever.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Mitztronic is right, this hobby is full of gatekeeping. I was going to reply to qirex's assertion that 'all top DJs use laptops' and point out that in the jungle scene it's the opposite, but really it. Doesn't. Matter. Just get what you feel comfortable with and don't mind when people scoff at you for it, just play.
I meant most of the ones I see, definitely not all. Most of the turntablists I follow play vinyl at home but tour with rips on laptops so they don’t have to carry and risk losing their records. You’re right, though, every scene has its own standards and just as importantly I’ve seen good djs with pretty much every possible combo of gear.

My main point was don’t be the person who thinks they need several grand in equipment to get started, figure out what you want to do first.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Pioneer DDJ 400, having used even cheaper controllers in the past I think it’s great. I mostly use djay as the software. Traktor is fun, it was the first system I tried but Native Instruments doesn’t seem particularly interested in it anymore. Most people use Rekordbox or Serato nowadays. If you’re trying to go as cheap as possible Mixx and a Hercules or Numark is a decent choice, if $250 is ok for you I think the DDJ 400 is the best deal going.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really enjoy playing around with djay on my iPad with my DDJ-400.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like djtechtools, they’re a good small business but they’re out of stock too.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Also someone who was into 45s wouldn’t want a turntable you had to literally bolt the record to. I suspect this is one of those “because we could” things.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

abuse culture. posted:

i love breaks but people just get turned off by/don't know how to dance to anything that isn't a 4 on the floor or maybe a 2-step. you can see their brains melt in real time

When my favorite jungle night switched to 2 step and uk garage back in the day it made all the old heads super mad but attendance like doubled. Really fast music is for nerds, at least in the US. There was that early 2000s DJ Icey Baby Anne style breaks from Florida that got some traction and drunk people can definitely dance to it. My favorite will always be the City of Angels/Rampant sound that was kind of acid house/trance breaks but that’s probably because I’m from California where it was most popular.

Also I didn’t really “get” techno until I went to Berlin, the basement at Tresor changed my taste forever. The DJs were so good at filtering and blending the tracks so they were constantly changing and you didn’t get bored.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

Please god no.
I thought I was out, but I guess I'm back
*Sledgehammers my basement floor, revealing a buried suitcase. Inside is a complete set of shrinkwrapped Bonkers CDs*

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're using Phase [the hardware] you don't even have the tonearm down so there's no way to move through a track like that. That's why Rane Twelves have that seek strip at the top.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Still curious about how Absolute actually works though, wondering if I was right about it just being a simple drift in phase.

There could be some kind of "tick" in the timecode as well but it seems pretty instantaneous which would point it towards phase [the audio concept]. I bet the gory details are somewhere on the Serato forums.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've played with the "AI" in djay and it's OK but I think using it on an actual sound system would exacerbate the wonk.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m honestly surprised it took them this long. So the whole DJ market is basically inMusic and AlphaTheta now.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If we're thinking of the same thing that was a lot of late 90s California stuff, check out City of Angels, Hardkiss [definitely more house-ey] and Rampant. As far as DJ mixes there's the John Kelly funkydesertbreaks series, Taylor's DJ Allstarz in the Mix and United DJs of America 10, plus Planet Rampant 1-3.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 17, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I use my DDJ 400 almost exclusively with Djay, works great plug and play. It's definitely plastic but the faders and pots feel nice.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Hardcore is like metal in that there’s one million sub-genres and they’re extremely regional.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Have they added a tablet layout to the app or is it still just blown up phone ui?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I subscribe to djay for iPad use because I didn’t like rekordbox.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's less the ground point and more having a phono preamp, which the grounding thing is usually an indicator of. If the mixer doesn't have phono inputs you'll need a preamp on each channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mackie has the Thump Go and Freeplay Live that seem to tick a lot of boxes. I haven't used either myself.