Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

i ordered a stanton str8-80 turntable off ebay to match the one i already have & replace my (regretfully purchased) str8-30 and the seller hosed up and sent me a str8-60 :I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I just moved to a new town a month ago that has a bit more of a scene of what im into (uk bass music, reggae, etc) and I've been going to shows and making some connections. I went to a dub reggae night hosted by a vinly only guy on a local soundsystem, and he was supposed to have another guy come to headline but the other guy never showed and they couldnt get ahold of any cdjs or controllers (it was the night of the mcgregor/mayweather fight)
I headed home early during this and I got a call asking if I wanted to play for a bit so the host could get a break. I stuffed a bunch of records in my bag and ran back and got to play an hour set at peak time. I've never played an all vinyl set at a club before and or on a sound system so powerful so I had a few fuckups, but overall I had a great time and the crowd seemed to love it. The sound system guys and the host all liked me and said theyd definitely like to have me out again. It's kind of surreal...it's 2017 and i managed to get a gig just by being the only guy in town with records lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Any fx pedal recs? Thinking of upgrading my numark m4 for an ecler nuo 2.0 and I'd like a re erb/delay pedal to go with it for the fx send. Preferably something smaller so it'll fit on my table beside the nuo

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeah it's unfortunate but Shure stopped making carts entirely.
Ortofon anything are pretty much the go-to now. Just get what suits your style/budget.

I've heard good things about the jinco replacements.

In other news, I've got an ecler nuo 2.0 coming in the mail with my trumpbux and an fx pedal coming in the future

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Dealing with controllers/ software is one of the things that led me to just buy turntables and start collecting vinyl

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Denon personally (well for digital at least).
Which, surprisingly so is every other DJ in my neighborhood.

...oh yeah it turns out in my small neighborhood of like 25 homes there's at least 4 DJ's and a recording engineer.

https://youtu.be/75pUDRiKgog

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

So I saw this earlier and is it a motorized platter controller thats had a tonearm installed to be repurchased into a turntable?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

. I want more transition tracks that are less balls-out, more minimal.

https://astralplanerecordings.bandcamp.com/track/heffalump this feels like it goes from 100ish to 160ish but its not really a tempo change

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

I always wondered what that cd that came with the calculus textbook sounded like

I've never actually mixed it through, its always just been a weird inbetween thing. The B side is a really great breaky track and gets a lot of play from me

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

My gear doesn't have a sync button :(

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

Apparently a bunch of DJs at Ultra had their USB sticks corrupted or otherwise rendered unplayable by the new CDJs.

Lmao

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Every time I've downloaded rb I get mad at how long and export takes and give up. Ive been using unanalyzed usbs for years and have never had any problem

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I did my first show this year and first one at a proper venue since covid and I opened for my friends night and it was way more packed then we anticipated. I had a whole plan to build up with like 80-100 bpm acid dubby stuff and early on I accidentally let a song run out to silence and then switched to another on the same lp in a panic but it wasn't what I intended and I forgot to pull the volume down so everyone heard ugly needle cueing noises and stared at me and I got jeered

And then I said gently caress it and tossed my plan and switched gears and got into my groove and it all ended great and I got a lot of compliments in the end and the night was a success and we're gonna have it as a bimonthly now

I love using vinyl but being in my bedroom so long has lead to some bad habits lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

The r/DJs subreddit has occasionally got some choice stupidity in it. (Please help me excise Reddit from my life it's so terrible but I crave content) Usually it's run-of-the-mill stuff like "let's debate the advantages of controllers vs CDJs" or "what headphones are best" or "help me make a mix," but once in a while something as novel as it is imbecilic comes along.

Yesterday some guy asked why DJ controllers don't have two independent sliders for each deck; one for tempo and the other for pitch. When I pointed out that having the ability to control track transposition/tuning via a smooth slider not stepped/detented in discrete intervals is a very bad idea with virtually zero useful applications, he doubled down and insisted that it'd be useful "for sample-based music" where a vocal sample could be off-key from the rest of the song on the order of a percentage point or two... and insisted he has "thousands of songs produced like this." Never mind that no matter how you adjusted this mythical 'pitch-only slider' you'd still be out of tune with your own song.

Just a completely incorrect understanding of the fundamentals of pitch and time, and buddy was NOT having it when multiple people told him to "learn some music theory." "No. I know what I'm talking about and this would be a good feature. Perhaps it's you who need to learn."

This is why I cannot in good conscience call DJs 'musicians'. I realize that's reductive, but for every one who knows key signatures and modes or how to calculate metric modulation on the fly in their head, there are thousands of cretins like this who think their 'artistry' is changing the world and not just making them look stupid.

Its a hilarious sub and I love reading it to shitpost and get material for r/djcirclejerk.

There was a good post either in there or beatmatch recently where someone was saying they couldn't understand why their music kept falling out of time after they would use the jog to line up the tracks. They thought the jog adjusted the tempo like a pitch fader

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

ben shapino posted:

So should I buy an FLX 10 like I was thinking of or

Get the newest s4 and enjoy motorized platters and save a bunch of $

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

guppy posted:

Probably doesn't really matter, if I'm only using the most basic 10% of the functions any of the big players would probably have been fine.

Even the little players would probably be fine. Im very seriously considering just getting an iPad with a compatible interface to run whatever the well known freeware dvs program is

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

New pioneer turntable is overpriced imo and half the people gushing over it dont realize u still need a computer for the dvs side

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

lmao

The only people who are going to buy this are 100% never going to play actual vinyl on them. Phase changed the game in a way that still sort of works well for traditional DJs to go head-to-head with DVS cats... and Pioneer look pathetic trying to catch up with this thing. LMAO at the 'MAGVEL clamp'; yeah I know what vinyl DJs are going to just love: a literal clamp that you have to take off to change your records.

One of the guys in the comments said he would sell his reloop 8000s and phase for these lol

I've been wanting to get into dvs and ill probably just get that little reloop box thing or an older traktor interface. My entire djing set up (carts, needles, reloops, headphones, outboard fx, mixer, computer, and interface) will still cost several hundred less then two of these

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

Put a link jack on them and then be able to send songs to them from a cdj; bing bong

Like srsly if pio were smart they'd release a standalone mixer* with a cdj screen/usb and have a completely stand alone turntable/dvs setup

*MSRP $8,400
Denon should make their next model of cdj clones to have the dual layer capable of being a dvs interface for a turntable and able to load songs off the USB. Bing bang boom, ez pz

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

some kinda jackal posted:

my AT120 was damaged in transport a while back and I haven't had any way to spin vinyl for ages so I was idly thinking about picking up a new turntable right around when Pioneer dropped that thing. Without looking at the sticker tag I was like "yeah I guess if this is competitively priced maybe it's an option even if I never actually DJ with vinyl because, why not?

But yeah, I can get a used 1200 for half that, or just replace my AT120 with another since it was literally just fine for my use.
You can get a set of almost any super OEM turntables and nice carts and needles for the same price or less then the pio thing

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Get an irig and record to your phone

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think most of the dj softwares can show waveforms vertically, so you could do that and pretend its a tracker

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I've seen a dj who uses two polyend trackers hooked up to a mixer

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Nah, it was m27.
https://polyend.com/whats-up/scene-m27-jungle-minimix-2022/

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Yeah just practice practice practice. I started off over a decade ago messing around on a controller and after moving to super lovely knockoff cdjs with no real analysis phrasing sort of unconsciously clicked after a bit. Moving to vinyl then really reinforced that.

You can sort of force phrasing too with certain songs/ fx. As long as something is noticeably changing in the first song when the second comes in it usually works

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

hark posted:

one of my friends opened for savant some years back when he played here. I met him in the green room and he was a huge tool lol

With a name like that I'd expect as much. I know he's a brilliant producer but ive never liked any of his stuff lol

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

abuse culture. posted:

you can also abuse the hell out of the beatjump feature to force fix your phrasing. this is what keeps me stuck to traktor!!! 2000NXS only have up to 2 bar beatjumps!!!!! What is this, 2015?!

My friends who taught me how to DJ all used S4s and had no idea how to actually phrase because they'd just use beat jump and loops to fix everything lol. Every transition just happens whenever they feel like it with ever tightening loops and tons of fx. I felt crazy trying to do a b2b with them after developing my own senses

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I looked up how to do a spinback and tried it and then immediately said "ok maybe let's not worry about trying to learn this right now" :stonk:

I'm not sure how I made something that simple sound that bad. It was impressive, actually.
Don't worry about the spin back! The best way to do it is to turn the volume fader down a bit while spinning obnoxiously and then slamming into the next song. If you can get an echo on it works better. Best used to cover up mistakes

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I think the most important things I've learned in recent years is just how to cover up your mistakes with grace. Using fx to get out of a bad situation, Using an accidental clang to just build tension real quick before switching over, chop tracks back and forth so you can get them in time without people hearing, etc. I was real inspired by an interview with DJ Bone where he said he would practice mixing by having his cousin gently caress with the turntables while he was mixing like bumping them, turning one off, making a record skip, etc so he could practice fixing things on the fly.

Being perfect is expected nowadays but you can definitely tell more experienced djs from newbies by how they mix out of mistakes.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Reloop 7000 mk2s are decent. All the super OEMs are really, its just the reloops have some neat features (extra start/stop button for battle mode, wide pitch options, removable cables) and are at a good price point. Ive only had mine for 4 or 5 years but they've been solid and ive had no issues

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

No interest in denon?

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

miztronic this is pnly $500...

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

mitztronic posted:

I appreciate the recs for the cheap gear but I’ve been djing for 20 years at this point (god drat…) and I’m a successful engineer. I’ve done my time of using Gemini hardware for a looong time. I also wanna reiterate my use case above and part of that rules out non-pioneer. I can afford the gear level I’ve always wanted so… imma get it finally.

The Gemini was a joke. That model was the first cdj/mixer I ever owned and it was an absolute piece of poo poo. I ended up leaving it at a friend's house and dodging his attempts to return it to me

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

People willing to pay that $$$ for being able to use their exported usbs

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

The numark is fine. Idk, thrus not that big a deal of you can adjust the crossfader curve. Ive got my eclers crossfader set to where it does nothing until you're almost all the way over.

Could also look for older used mixers. You might find a vestax or something with more bells and whistles for a good price

titty_baby_ fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 20, 2023

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Virgil Vox posted:

Someone made a phoshop of what I was thinking:

Thats way better then what they actually came up with

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I take short videos sometimes for reference.
Sometimes after enough practice I remember the blend instead of the individual songs and then I remember them together in chunks

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

What do you guys do when you come across tracks which seem to be unobtainium?

I'm lookimg for a few songs which seem to be by grayarea, but don't appear on discogs or beatport.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7XSBig5lks

Just wondering whether there's any place that I could look. I'm not above grabbing physical media and ripping as I've done for a few things I snagged from discogs, but this time I'm coming up empty here too. I would hate to think that we're at the point where a youtube rip is the only solution to something going extinct.
Message the artist/label and ask

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Ah, the great dubplate debate emerges yet again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Beatport redesign is months old now and there's still no way for me to get to an arbitrary page in a multi-page list except by moving three pages at a time.

I mean yeah you can argue I could just use the date picker to be more specific but like.. have you seen their date picker too?

And yeah, my main hunting mode is being like.. "show me everything from 01-01-2005 to 01-01-2006 and just going nuts poking through older stuff. And by nuts I mean "
until I get tired of not being able to skip ahead ten pages"

I used to use beatport back in the day and it's nuts to hear how bad it still is. The last few times I tried it lagged so bad in my browser I gave up. Bandcamp has an annoying search interface but it actually works otherwise and I can download songs more then once.