Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The only thing that I really hate about the Eons is that they have rounded edges. You have to lay them on their front in your car otherwise they roll around too much.

The Eon 515XT's are supposed to be pretty good from what I hear, though I haven't sampled them yet. I used to regularly use my friend's Eon G2s and they never let me down. They're loud enough for small rooms and if you use a sub with them, they'll do larger rooms as well.

When I was doing my speaker shopping, I looked at JBL's PRX line as well as the QSC K-Series but since my friend had neither in stock (and I'm impatient), I ended up going with Turbosound M15's. Best decision I ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Chitin posted:

Is there any particular reason Virtual DJ doesn't seem to get a lot of respect? I've heard it criticized for stability reasons but anything else? Looking at the feature set it seems pretty robust...

because the only people that use it are using pirated versions. these are also the same people that get the scratch live vdj skin and tell everyone that they're using scratch live.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

THAT drat DOG posted:

Best thing to come out of this discussion:

New topic:
I want to keep my turntable but want to add a CDJ. I saw a local club that uses a 1200MK5 with a CDJ-900 and it looks like a pretty cool balance of control and loop-geddon, and I'd like to do the same thing but I'm not sure how they get it to work since you can only switch to Phono or Line in the Serato software. How would I go about this?

Also would a vinyl and CD be read at the same time by the software?

The SL3/57SL have switchable line/phono per input. That's an expensive solution but it would work. You could also get a phono preamp...the timecode is the exact same whether it's on vinyl or cd.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I would get the Pioneer controller over the S4 but I think it costs more.

edit: I'm also gay for Pioneer :swoon:. And if you're not completely sold on Traktor, the new Numark NS6 looks incredibly decent. It may be the first Numark thing I buy.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 15, 2011

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Splinter posted:

I played around with the new Pioneer controller for a bit at Guitar Center the other day and on the whole the S4 felt like a higher quality unit. The jog wheels specifically felt MUCH better to me. Whatever NI did for the braking really does a lot to set it apart from the light, free spinning toy like feel of almost every other MIDI controller jog wheel they had at the store. The knobs on the S4 are also bigger and had a better feeling to them IMO.

Here are my thoughts, other people feel free to chime in if you've used these (controller chat!):

I have used both the S4 and the T1, and actually have more gig experience with the S4. The DDS-T1/S1 jog wheels/transport use the same mechanicals as the CDJ400. The knobs and faders on the mixer all feel the exact same as regular Pioneer mixers (at least the DJM700/800). If we're going solely on the way things feel I think the Pioneer controller feels the most like a regular CDJ/mixer setup since it's using the same parts as a regular CDJ/mixer.

Functionally, I can't recommend either. One day the controller manufacturers will realize that they can't half-rear end recreating mixer functions. For instance, both the Pioneer S1/T4 and the S4 lack booth audio outputs. For me to be able to fully replace my current gear I need to have the same or more functionality then what I currently have (2 CDJ400s and a DJM700). My friend uses an S4 for all of his gigs...he also brings an Allen and Heath Xone:22 to all of his gigs. What's the point of having an all in one controller?

I was really hoping that Pioneer would nail it with these controllers because out of anyone, they have the most experience making DJ equipment. Unfortunately I think they made them more for the bedroom DJ crowd and less for people that hook their stuff up out in the field. Like I said earlier, I think the Numark NS6 may be the superior option just because it has better audio in/out options. It has a full 4 channel analog mixer built into the controller. That's awesome and really smart since it makes audio routing a lot easier. I thought the NS7 (the one with motorized platters) was too much of a gimmick since the real turntablists are going to continue to use turntables. I don't know we'll see what happens. My guess is that these controllers will be fully ironed out in about 2 years.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
If they got rid of having to beatgrid every single track before you could even look at the sync meters, I may give it a shot. That was my biggest problem with using Traktor Scratch Pro. I may give it a shot anyway, the upgrade from TSP is only $80.

Also the MIDI control of Scratch Live with the X1 isn't terrible. It works pretty well for me.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It appears that Traktor 2 is available for download now. I'll probably upgrade to it in a few weeks...apparently the servers are hammered at the moment.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

GbrushTwood posted:

I figured I should post this here, here's a video 1080p (excuse the lovely audio, but there are a few other clips of the show in the same channel) of a show I did last night with Kill The Noise in SF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ev8Jo7CKPU

Are you the guy in the green shirt?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Professorbx posted:

It should street at about $499, so not a bank breaker. The gridding is sick. Plug in your drive and it starts sucking in data right away. Unlike some software, it stores your waveforms/adjustments in a different file, so your tags don't get obliterated. Wait for your songs to be gridded and you are good to go. I've been a Traktor user for years, and when I set up Traktor and SCS.4DJ side by side, the grids usually match, and in the cases that they don't the SCS.4 has been winning a good portion of the time. What I REALLY love about it is that the grid is not strictly beholden to BPM at all times (a little Ableton-like in that way), so if you have a bad drummer, it can compensate a bit-just hit sync again and it will re-lock.

Hey professorbx, does this thing support cue points at all? I don't see any buttons for it but that doesn't mean that they aren't on the screen or something.

Also that Pioneer DJM-T1 looks pretty tempting. I love Scratch Live but the TTM57SL is getting really long in the tooth. I updated to TSP2 before I went on vacation and haven't been able to use it for a gig yet. I'm going to try it out for reals on Saturday night and I'll post my thoughts. I like the newer simplified layout...I had almost everything turned off in TSP1 to get it somewhat usable for me. And, I think I like the audio output of the Audio8 better than my SL3. The Audio8 is a lot louder. I have to turn up my gains 3/4's up to get decent output of the SL3.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Apr 14, 2011

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

vas0line posted:

Yes, in my 11 years DJing I understand that I am nothing more than a human jukebox. Thanks for the commentary.

edit: And yet, for some reason people still pay $100+ per hour...

I think Virtual DJ supports what you want. Gross. Scratch Live doesn't offer any integration more that what you get with iTunes. Also if changes are made to iTunes playlists, you have to restart SSL to see the changes. Or you could just alt-tab between the two.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Professorbx posted:

Well, SSL doesn't have real internal mixing features, and the MIDI implementation on the decks is poor at best compared to the super-tight HID that they have in Itch. Different markets really.

There are hacks to get MIDI jogwheel functionality and from what I've seen, it's a lot of work for little reward. And as others have mentioned there's no internal mixing built in to SL though you can use the gains for simple fading. SL works best with a mixer, TT's or CD players not hacked together compromises.

Edit: itch is serato's answer to traktor. Traktor scratch pro is NI's answer to SSL. If you want to use controllers for software, don't use a DVS.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 30, 2011

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I picked up a Numark NS6 today. After I played around with it in my friend's office, I was sold on it. I'm going to screw around with it some this week and I have two gigs this weekend, so I'll post my thoughts if anyone is interested.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

relative_q posted:

Has anyone gotten a chance to play with the new Serato SL4 yet? I'm seriously considering trading up pretty soon; it looks like it'd solve a lot of the annoyances I have with my SL1.

My SL3 was 1000x better than my SL1, so I can only assume that the SL4 is 2000x better than the SL1.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Firaga posted:

DO NOT PUT IT DOWN ON THE TABLE AFTERWARDS BESIDE OTHER OPEN BEERS.

Great pissing tips itt

Also if you do pee in empty beer bottles, don't leave them in the booth for next week's DJ to discover. :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know how many people on here use Serato Itch, but they released the Itch 2.0 Beta. Here are a few of the additions:

-Changed the UI to look like Scratch Live (this was one of my major gripes with Itch)
-Added a tempo synced version of the SP6 sample player
-Added support for Smart Crates (finally)

In addition to my regular setup of CDJs/DJM-700 and an SL3, I have a Numark NS6 that I use for some gigs. Itch was just so backwards from SL that I hated using it but hopefully the Itch 2.0 release may change that for me. We'll see.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Not at the moment, I think they're planning on adding that in the next version. There's been a lot of complaints that you have to use the keyboard for the sampler but is it really that big of a deal? If you hate using your laptop don't use one for djing in the first place. (not directed at you the dark wind, just the whiners in general)

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jul 20, 2011

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know anybody that owns an A&H mixer, only Pioneer or Rane. :( I need better friends.

Also, oredun, don't you have a DJM700?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I own an NS6, feel free to ask me about it. I really hated using Itch 1.8 (I still use Scratch Live on a regular basis) but Itch 2.0 is a lot better. Platter feel on the NS6 is a lot better than the Kontrol S4...the NS6 has a lot more weight on them.

They're still working out some of the kinks with the NS6 but I haven't really had any issues when I've gigged with mine. Itch is a little more resource intensive than SL, I've noticed that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What do you think of that DJM2000?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah it totally seems like overkill, especially since Traktor/Scratch Live have their own (usually) better, builtin effects.

I have a gig at a real club tonight, I'm kind of nervous. If it was a typical Top40 gig I'd be ok but this one is going to be all house on one of their busiest nights of the week. I've been so busy with other poo poo that I haven't really spent a whole lot of time preparing for tonight. :ohdear:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Are any of you guys located in Atlanta by any chance? I need an additional DJ to help me fill in some gaps in the schedule. It's a Top40 spot and pays ok but is kind of high maintenance.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Also using linein in Winamp doesn't work with Winamp Basic, you have to get the "full" installation.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Make sure all of your faders are set to as sharp as possible, basically to the point where it's just an on/off switch and not a fader. That will help.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I have the Ultrasones as well as the AIAIAI TMA-1s. I like the TMA-1s better so those stay in my DJ bag. The Ultrasones are good but I find that they can't handle higher volume as well as the TMA-1s, so they stay at home.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
You'd be better off throwing that thing in the trash. None of the recent versions of DJ software support PowerPC. Even if they did, you're screwed because I don't think that CPU meets even the most minimum of requirements.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Diplomaticus posted:

Anyone know of some good videos that show a decent DJ playing a live set, but where the footage focuses on their hands (i.e. what they are doing with their equipment) and their computer monitor?

This seems weird and fetish-like to me. Why would you want this? If it's to copy what somebody else is doing don't do it. If it's sexual arousal then more power to you.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It's DJing, not spinal surgery. How you turn knobs compared to someone else doesn't matter. I guess to me it's like copying the exact way someone else dresses.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
If I were you, I would upgrade to Traktor Scratch Pro 2, which would allow you to use your Audio 8 as a DVS as well as your S4 complemented with the DVS function of TSP2.

I know this works because I have done it with the exact hardware you have.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

gr0g posted:

Sorry I'm not familiar with DVS

So the S4 with run straight off tsp2? Or does it have to go through the audio8?

DVS = Digital vinyl system

TSP2 works directly with the S4, you won't need the Audio8.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I think what's hindering Scratch Live development is the partnership with Rane. Scratch Live is no longer the flagship Serato application...it's now Itch. Itch can literally be sold to any hardware company and that's where Serato makes their money.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I use smart crates in Scratch Live to add stuff from my record pool (Top 40 stuff). If I have a particularly good night, I'll save the history as a crate and pull from that for other gigs.

If I'm doing an 80's night, I have a smart crate set up to search by year so that stuff from 1980-1989 is in the crate.

Overall, smart crates are the greatest thing ever.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I want one but I'm already sitting on top of $1200 worth of gear that I need to sell...I don't need to add my mixer to that pile.

PS: I have a lightly used Numark NS6 and a pair of CDJ400's (with cases) that I need to get rid of.

edit: how are the buttons on the 62? hard plastic or Traktor X1 soft rubber style?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What do you guys think about in-ear monitors? Kind of tired of my ears ringing the entire day after a gig.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Firaga posted:

Turn down your booth monitors?

I wish it were that easy. None of the booths I DJ at have monitors so I always end up using my headphones.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Quidnose posted:

I've been really interested in getting into DJing and have done some casual mixing, but I think I might take the plunge sometime soon and pick up a Traktor X1. I have a Hercules DJ Mp3 e2 I bought a year or so ago that I've messed around with, but it looks like the X1 will be a ton more intuitive for me personally and a better starting point. Plus, I just grabbed the Traktor 2 demo after not using it for a while, and I really find it so much easier to use than Virtual DJ.

If you're dead set on using Traktor, just go ahead and pick up the Traktor S2. It has an audio interface built in, and will offer you more control options over the X1. It's also on sale at most places. The X1 is mainly designed to supplement other DJ gear, and is for control only (no audio interface).

That said, I am a Serato guy and I think DJ Intro would be a good alternative for you.
http://serato.com/dj-intro/what-is-it

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
...and that's why I use SSL. Beatgridding, snap, etc are not very useful on anything other than electronic music. They make traktor really frustrating sometimes...I just want to put cue points or start tracks where I want to, not when the software decides for me.

That being said I really like the way traktor handles file management.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I'm interested in seeing how the new BPM detection behaves, it might make using Traktor less terrible for me. Native Intstruments should really support reading Serato cue points directly since they're saved in the MP3 so people like me could easily switch between the software. They have a converter but since Traktor writes the cue points in its database I would have to constantly run the converter when I got new tracks.

edit: also controllers are dumb and/or awesome depending on your skill level and needs as a dj.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 5, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

JohnnyMondo posted:

That would actually be pretty badass, to be have 4 different audio files within 1 DJ format file, so you can switch between them. If you started playing the dirty version and realize it a few bars in, just switch over to the clean one!

You could do this with some of the multichannel audio formats out there. Just use a WAV file encoded with AC3. You could also probably use MPEG4. I think the problem would be the latency in decoding and the pops/clicks when changing streams.

edit: and licensing fees if you used dolby

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 5, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I ponied up the 60 bucks for Mixed in Key last night and let it analyze 5000 of my songs just to see how it went. The analysis is over and I have a gig tonight so I'll be harmonically mixing rap all night, should be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
That was kind of the joke. But yes it is possible.