Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
oredun nailed the top40/"open format" scene. the money is better and you will get more gigs. in fact, i don't even promote myself...people come to me. it's great.

leave the underground poo poo to the dj mixes thread.

edit: the other side of it is that sometime management can be a little hard to deal with, but overall it's pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Muck and Mire posted:

Can you elaborate on how you're getting Top40 gigs? I have a couple but I feel like those are harder, at least where I am, because the DJs in those spots are super solid (and well-branded) and all the clubs have regular nights.

I got very lucky when I moved to Atlanta a few years ago and met a DJ (who is now my good friend). That just lead to networking with other DJs and eventually bar and club owners directly. I still have a facebook, hand out business cards to people that come up to me, etc but I have yet to get any gigs from that.

19 o'clock posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, still be creative. Just understand what will go over well and what will make people stop dancing in a hurry.
Here is what will make people stop dancing: playing something they're not familiar with. You can still play new songs but they have to sound like the other stuff you're playing. Ideally you play new stuff when it's not as crowded but I have played new poo poo in the middle of peak hour just to gauge reaction. If you do that, have a plan to get out of it quick. :)

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
We can't all DJ in Denver, bones.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

oredun posted:

1. Play music your crowd wants to party to. Take requests. I bet ive played "Get Low" at 99% of all my shows and it killed it every. single. time. It doesnt matter who is, everybody wants to party to that song with a girl/guy after youve have a few drinks.

Allow me to illustrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQg4G7aR4t4

I haven't played that song in a few months so I thought I would take a video of the reaction Saturday night.

edit: sorry its in portrait mode, you might have to make it full screen

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Turn on advanced mode for the effects and use the beatmasher. It will do exactly what you want. In Serato Itch and Scratch Live it's called "loop roll" and you can activate it by hitting ctrl-alt-(1-5 or 6-0) for however long you want it to roll. You should set your auto loops to something short, the 1-whatever corresponds to the length. You can also assign it to a MIDI button, makes it a lot easier.

Edit: I know it was a traktor question but I know there are a few Serato folks in this thread that may not know about that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mr. BT posted:

I guess the difference would be that my favorite DJs are people like BT and Adam Freeland, who can pretty much pre-program their sets and go. It's harder to just drop in new tunes on the fly using Ableton. Do I just not give a gently caress and hit them with whatever I want them to hear? As in, I'm not a jukebox so don't ask?

Their sets include original productions and live remixes of their own music so something like Ableton works for them because they're producers. People pay money to see them play their own music.

For you, playing somebody else's music, they aren't always there to see you. You need to be able to program your sets to keep people interested as well as be able to change your set if you start to lose a crowd. It happens and I don't think Ableton gives you that kind of flexibility.

If you're playing with 100 other DJ's and your set is 30 minutes or less use Ableton...but if you're playing for longer use something else. Anything else. Except Virtual DJ because it's lovely.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Alfajor posted:

I got a Numark Mixtrack Pro a few weeks ago and I've been playing with it to get the hang of things. I figured out how to route the queue audio to the headphones and the "master" to my home theater system. It's pretty fun!
Anyway, I've been trying out all the different DJ apps on my Macbook, and I'm really liking Virtual DJ because it has the little beat grid on top that makes it easy to sync 2 tracks. Are there any other apps that do something similar to that? I want to make sure I've really tried all the apps available before I buy a license.

http://serato.com/dj-intro

It's free, and it's essentially the same DJ software actual DJ's use.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Alfajor posted:

I've tried Serato, but I don't see the little thing that shows the beat for both tracks anywhere. Am I missing it?

It's in between the two white virtual decks in this screen shot. Or you could use the GIANT waveforms in the middle of the screen. Or your ears. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
David Guetta is our generation's Peter Frampton.

edit: I will say that the RMX1000 is a cool little device but I have exactly 0 use for it.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 10, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Do any of you herberts use video at your gigs? I'm thinking about making the jump...I'm the last audio only hold-out in my posse.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Foobar 2000 with the Continuator DSP plugin. I used that combo to run an automated internet radio station for about 2 years.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I still don't think I'm good, just lucky.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I used a generic D-link USB 2 hub and didnt have any problems with it. Just don't connect your audio interface to the hub.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Also the best $30 I ever spent (or had someone spend on me) was one of these guys: http://www.kbcovers.com/servlet/Detail?no=40

It's a soft silicone based cover and keeps poo poo out of your keyboard. They apparently only make them for Macs but they offer Ableton and Traktor versions.

edit:

I have an uberstand, it works pretty well but is starting to show it's age. I'll probably get one of the "Crane" stands eventually. My buddy uses one and it's pretty easy to set up: http://www.thecranestand.com/

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 15, 2012

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know about the temperature thing but the cover has definitely saved my rear end a few times with rowdy drunk girls. I used the same one for about 2 years on my 13" MBP and now that I started doing video, it's moved to my 15" MBP and I haven't noticed any weirdness. Of course the fans are on a full speed when I'm doing video but I kind of expected that.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
What about going House-->Dubstep-->Drum and Bass?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm wondering what my options are for getting midi clock sync out of a digital vinyl package. It appears as though Ms. Pinky can do it, but I'm worried about descending into :spergin: territory with that. Are there any other options out there, preferably on the lower cost end? I have Traktor and Serato vinyl and the audio and midi interfaces ready, and can work out of OS X or Windows.

I believe Traktor can send Midi Clock out...I think it's hidden under the "metronome" icon in the upper right hand side of the screen. If I remember correctly the MIDI clock output is timed to whichever deck is the master. I'm a little foggy on that one though since I don't use Traktor anymore...maybe someone else with more advanced Traktor experience can chime in.

Scratch Live doesn't support MIDI out, which is why my Kontrol X1's lights don't work.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I ran my SL3 at 2ms on my old laptop. It was a 2.4ghz C2D 13" Macbook Pro.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The more you DJ, the more you will just learn when and where to mix. With vocals it's pretty easy, and for tracks without vocals the rule of 8's is your friend. That's assuming you aren't djing math rock or some other non-4/4 signatured tracks.

Just practice a lot and you'll figure out a.)your own personal style of mixing and b.)how songs are put together.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
This kind of stuff is why I own Traktor but solely use Scratch Live. :c00lbert:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I just sold my NS6 because I never used it... mainly because the itch software was too buggy. Also for some reason I could never get used to the way the NS6 handled audio levels. I haven't seen any screen shots of Serato DJ yet, so I'm wondering if they're finally making the controller interface more Scratch Live like.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
DJ bat mitzvah.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
A pair of QSC K12s or the JBL EON 515XTs. The non-XT EONs are trash, do not buy them no matter how cheap they are. The JBL PRX series is also pretty decent. For something more exotic, the RCF Art 312 is also a good choice from what I've read...they seem pretty popular among the mobile DJ types. I only have experience with the QSCs and the JBLs though.

I'd recommend going with self powered speakers over having a separate amp just because the self powered ones are easier to deal with. You will need an extra power outlet at the venue but you make up for it by not having to put another piece of gear in your car.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The touch strip on the effects is awesome. You can do some cool beat repeat/echo effects with it. Hopefully you can use the effects on every transition so that people know you have a new mixer.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

keevo posted:

I really want to try out the Aiaiai TMA-1. The sound is supposed to be good and they seem pretty indestructible (you can bend them like crazy making it good if you're one of those DJs that travel a lot).

I've been using the same pair since November of 2010. I recommend them. They're not overly bass heavy and they get really loud.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
If you're already booked, don't show up. If you're not booked and the alternative is sitting around your house not making any money, talk to the promoter.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Merry Christmas to me: I finally sucked it up and bought the Crane Stand Pro. My Stanton one is a wobbly piece of junk and I'm tired of it. I borrowed a friend's Crane stand one night and I was sad when I had to go back to my Stanton one.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I think the thing to remember guys is that there's no "one approach fits all" for DJing. Quick mixing is a good way to keep the energy up if you have a solid crowd but it's not one of those things that you should do all the time. It also is very genre specific.

Read your room and let them be your guide.

edit: drat it, beaten

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The audio interface is built into Twitch.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Jesse James posted:

I live in Atlanta, GA and I know most of the higher traffic venues use 2000s. Some don't use them EVERY night, like I went to this place on Tuesday to watch my buddy play out for the first time in like 8 months and they were using CDJ1000s and a DJM 800 for that night, however on weekends they use a CDJ2000 setup, pretty sure it's just a DJM 900 mixer though.

What's up fellow Atlanta DJ buddy. Which place?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I wouldn't think the mics would matter since you're theoretically just using the recorder's line input.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The cheapest would be getting the Traktor Scratch A6 package which comes with Traktor, vinyl/cds, and an interface. It's $299.

I like Scratch Live but the Rane SL2 with Scratch Live is $499. :(

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It only has a 2 channel output (and no inputs) so you wouldn't be able to use it for a DVS setup.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't see any physical inputs on the box so who knows what they're talking about.

The thing to remember with these interfaces is that the channels are usually listed as mono channels. For a DVS system you need 2 stereo ins (2 left and right pairs, 4 channels) and 2 stereo outs (4 channels) so you would need an 8 channel interface, minimum. Your turntables connect directly to the 2 stereo inputs on the interface, and the interface's 2 stereo outputs go to your mixer. Then you connect speakers to the master outputs on your mixer.

That $299 price on the Traktor A6 is a steal actually, since it comes with timecode vinyl, software, and the correct interface.

keevo posted:

You can probably find a used SL1 for 300, maybe less if you search long enough.

There's not much point in getting an SL1 these days. It's a USB1.1 device that doesn't work well on newer computers and I don't think Rane supports it anymore so there won't be any driver updates. Also compared to any of the newer Rane interfaces(SL2, SL3, SL4) it sounds like rear end. There's a noticeable quality difference.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 17, 2013

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but after I got my Solo account I tried reuploading a previously rejected song and it worked fine. :saddowns:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

oredun posted:

why in the world do you need to power a serato box?

Usually the only reason why you would need to was if you wanted to use the THRU outputs without the SL box connected to a computer. Maybe during changeovers or something.

Speaking of Serato...

Is eBay my only choice for finding a Rane TTM57SL these days? I don't want a 62 and the 61 doesn't have normal booth outputs. :wtf:

I have a DJM700 and an SL3 now but since I've started doing video all of the extra MIDI poo poo I have to do is getting cumbersome.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I'm willing to be it will be business as usual. There will probably be more "Beatport" branded events but I can't really see much else happening.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I'm a god drat business genius.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
For the past 2 nights I've had to set up in DJ booths that were a complete mess. Friday night was week old half full drinks and empty beer bottles, last night was a DJ booth that had every possible power cable and audio cable unplugged. I'm just glad I got there early enough last night to figure everything out. People need to clean up after themselves and leave things the way they found them. Christ. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I've used the 62 a few times but I like my 57 a lot better. I also use an X1 and dicers when I play so I didnt really use most of the features on the 62.