Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

Speaking of stems, Rekordbox 6.7 just got released with Track Separation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

So I'm turning 50 in a few weeks (what the actual gently caress) and instead of buying a motor bike/sports car/having an affair as a mid life crisis I went and bought the Denon SC Live 4 to replace my DDJ-400. I wanted a standalone unit as having to setup a laptop to have a quick mix was getting kind of tedious. Decided to go the Denon/Engine OS route as the equivalent Pioneer cost significantly more for fewer features.

The good - almost everything. Particular things I like are:

The layout, it's pretty much the same as the DDJ-x00 series, so everything is where I am used to it being, made the transition easy.

The effects. Instead of the switch for the beat effects like on Pioneer gear, the Live has a click dial so the list of effects is not fixed. The latest version of Engine OS apparently added a bunch. I like that it is future proof. And the control on those effects is great. You're not limited to just time. Pressing the time knob gives access to other settings depending on what effect is selected. Touch effects were added in the same OS update. This turns the screen into an effects control panel. A bit gimmicky, but kind of cool at the same time. Only issue is that the touch effects are pretty much on or off. Where you touch generally controls the time or the frequency range for the effect, so on a single playing track it is really obvious and a bit jarring. If you use them on a second track they work well. Loading the same track on two decks lining them up and using the touch effects on one of them might be a solution. And having 4 decks to play with makes this doable.

The loop controls are, I think, a significant improvement over Pioneer. The click dial for changing the loop length is really good as is the loop on off via pressing the same dial.

EngineOS is pretty slick. Easy to navigate and pretty intuitive. That said, I have found that although beat detection for the BPM is good, the actual beat grid is regularly out, either by a couple of beats or not on the beat at all. I must have hosed up importing my Rekordbox collection as although cue points have come across it didn't seem to pull the already existing and correct beat grids, so I might need to do that again.

The good thing is that the beat grid editing on the controller is excellent, easy to access and use, so even while mixing it is trivial to correct a beat grid on the fly.

The inbuilt speakers are okay for messing around and better than I was expecting, but I'm still going to be plugging it in to a proper system most of the time.

Overall very happy with this and if anyone is thinking about upgrading to an all in one, this is definitely worth considering.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

That force looks insane. And the pricing seems reasonable given what it seems capable of. Maybe I should have got that instead of new decks.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

*cough* https://www.denondj.com/prime-4-plus.html *cough*

If you can cope with not Pioneer, then this should be in the mix of what you are looking at. Does everything you want. And does Stems without a laptop.

Edit: I'm not sure which bit of your requirements rules out non-pioneer. Engine OS will happily use the rekordbox library on a usb stick.

ledge fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 17, 2023

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Hmm

I THINK that you can achieve the same by just making sure the earth point is touching some metal part of the mixer.

If your mixer/amp doesn't have a ground pin and specific inputs for phono, then it doesn't handle non pre amplified phono input.

Basically phono is a much quieter signal than normal inputs, and the turntable and the amp/mixer it is connected to need to have a common ground, or you can get a 50/60hz hum.

Anything that accepts phono input (mixer or preamp) will have a ground pin for them.

If the turntables have a built in preamp then you don't need a ground wire, but they don't go into phono inputs either.

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

some kinda jackal posted:

Given that AT owns akai (I think??) I’m kind of surprised we haven’t seen a mashup of the MPC Live with a pair of jogs and a fader. Or at least a mobile thing in the MPC live form factor.

Akai is inMusic, I only know this because inMusic send spam about it occasionally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ledge
Jun 10, 2003

psilo posted:

Hai guise, just recently found out theres this dj thread here! I only started like three years ago or something, but spinning records (or well mp3s...) was some sort of dream to me for 20 years so better late than never I guess. Just recently upgraded my home stuff from ddj-400 to denon sc live 4, been happy so far.

What's up, upgraded from DDJ-400 to Live 4 buddy? :dance: