Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Meliv posted:

:respek:

Defiantly don't regret buying it. Would highly recommend it to newbs with a budget

You could get a second hand VCI-100 for not much more money though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

The Dark Wind posted:

Hey, can one of you guys break down what's going on in the transitions between genres in this mix? I really like what he's doing, but I can't quite pin down exactly how he's going about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOOT6-AQiA&feature=player_embedded#at=2074

I'm just hearing a lot of slams during the first couple of minutes :confused:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
^^

It was so worth it to just dish out the €25 for all the DIY components and put those arcade buttons in a VCI-100 myself. Way more tactile than any stiff rectangular controller button.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

Heya!

I'd like to do some bedroom mixing. What's the minimum necessary equipment to utilize the mp3 collection on my computer?

I've been looking at the numark mixdeck, which seems to have all the components I'd need: two decks, mixer, usb hookup to the computer, and traktor LE software to install on the computer. There are a few used ones in my area I'm going to check out this weekend. [...] Again, I'm not really interested in burning tracks to a cd, or using usb flash drives.

I don't really see the point of possibly planning on spending a comparatively large amount of money on a controller which reads CDs and has an ipod connection while at the same time stating your non-interest in exactly thas kind of functionality.

Alternatively cou could go for either a better integrated (controller made by the same company as the software), more innovative (pad-like functionality while providing a Serato option) or simply cheaper (same manufacturer as the Mixdeck but without the superfluous playback options) alternative. Did you specifically look into the Mixdeck because it doesn't need a laptop running next to it (or are you maybe confusing the -deck with the -track)?

Mind you I haven't touched any of these controllers myself (still rocking a VCI-100) but the vibe on them in places like DJTechTools or the Native Instruments forums is a lot better than your own choice, which to me looks like a gimmick product. Hell with the Kontrol S2 you get the full Traktor Pro2 which would otherwise set you back like $200 (don't know for sure since I get the prices quoted in €s on NI's site). Now that's getting your money's worth.

quote:

I currently have a single denon dn-s1000 and a stanton smx.201 (bought off SA Mart actually, someone was selling both for cheap). Is there some combination of equipment which would achieve my goal starting from this equipment?

I've only got bad things to say about Stanton mixers but its more related to their durability and build quality than the fact that any simple 2/3 channel mixer will come with pretty much the same functionality.

You've got an effects enabled deck combined with a basic mixer which is a bit of an odd combination since any second deck you add would have to come with its own effects section. If it were the other way around and you had a more well-rounded mixer you could simply hook up your software via an external audio interface like the I/O or Audio 2.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Btw I've seen people complain about the soundcard quality of the Pro so you might want to go for the non-Pro version combined with an Audio 2DJ or a similar soundscard. With one of these you'll also probably have a better resale value were you ever to decide to upgrade to an integrated controller or you could simply keep using it while moving on to something like a second hand VCI-100SE.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

(I'm just using it for a little bedroom mixing, a mediocre audio interface is probably fine.)

Yeah a Mixtrack Pro might be a clean and simple solution for you then although it costs about the same as a vanilla Mixtrack+A2DJ.

I'm also not going to stop pointing out the fact that the ~$600 Kontrol S2 comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2 (MSRP $200) and an Audio 6 quality soundcard inside (dedicated booth output and the likes). Not sure what kind of DJing experience you've got right now but IMO: you can't go wrong with Traktor (or Serato for that matter) and it's def. a better quality controller.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Professorbx posted:

Same alpha faders. Same alpha pots. Jog wheels that use capacitance instead of a switch. The S2/S4 have an air of quality due to fit and finish, but that is it. I'm not talking out of my rear end, as it is my job to know these things, nor am I saying that the S2/S4 are low quality (I'm not). I am however saying that, internally, they aren't far off....

I guess I was under the wrong impression then and either NI is skimping on professional build quality or Numark is putting out products for a really really low price.

How would you compare them with Vestax' controllers?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Ellaskins' YouTube page has got a treasure trove of good tips. You just got to sift through the literally three thousand vids and ignore the sometimes lovely sound quality.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The Kontrol S2 is only $449 right now :aaa:

Almost wish I didn't sink so much money into modding my VCI-100.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vas0line posted:

Anyone know anything about this: http://www.monocase.com/mono-efx-dj.asp ?
It's gotta fit a 2-channel mixer, 13" laptop, SSL interface, needle case, and all the other usual poo poo.

I've got their Fader bag and it's really high quality. You probably can't fit a mixer in there though, I'd suggest you look at the internal dimensions.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Quidnose posted:

Well gently caress, why did you guys have to do this to me. That's exactly what I need in every way but I do not have the money to drop on it right now. :(

How much more expensive is it when it's not on sale?

Dude I paid 300 for an audio interface and TP2 alone, just be glad you're getting a kickass controller too.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epswing posted:

If I'm not mistaken the S2 comes with an integrated audio interface. I already have a setup which uses the NI Audio 2. Is the interface in the S2 comparable with the Audio 2?

It's the same NI quality with more outputs and a mic input. Might as well sell the Audio 2.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I busted a nut on my VCI-100.

With that I mean that one of my filter knobs is way too free-range after pressing one of those DJTT caps on it a bit too hard :(

e: got to play around for a bit with a VCI-400 last week, felt kick-rear end.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

vas0line posted:

The issue I have with controller DJs is that they have all these amazing features and functionality, yet don't do poo poo other than sync tracks and fade the intros/outros. I do more on my 1200s with some Dicers than those assholes do with 538 buttons/knobs/faders.

Goddamn kids get off my lawn i'm calling the police

You must see a lot of lovely controller DJs then :colbert:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

If you have a controller, you have a shortcut to do lot's of interesting things. The problem is that nobody is doing interesting things with them. I have a turntable, it's very limited in its functionality but I can do lots of stuff with that. I'll leave it at that.

I see where you're coming from with me starting out in 2010 with a controller, primarily as a hobby and on a low budget, and later doing a course at the uni culture workshop where the old school dude introduced us to vinyl and later CDJs. That was an eyeopener.

I don't see how being wedded to a certain piece of hardware precludes people from learning tried and true skills though. Just tape off the sync buttons, switch off the phase meter and you're doing the same things as someone with a quantized CDJ2000 except for having an extra decimal of tempo control. Better yet, switch off the stripe and tempo meter, limit the amount of tracks you have access to around 50 and just mess with the lovely platters and faders on your cheapass controller. Hardcore.

Koesj fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 3, 2012

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

I haven't posted a single post about the sync function. Why do all the controller DJs ITT think I give a poo poo about the sync button. Is there some kind of instant kick back in the brains of controller DJs that believe that when they read anything remotely close to criticizing controller DJs they stop reading the post and assume it's about the sync function, then type out posts defending the sync function with a :smug: heh vinyl elitist :smug: when that's not even the topic at hand?

I wasn't really disagreeing with your sentiment although I wouldn't know if there are any non-lovely controllerists out there. The only ones I see and recognize are terrible and the best stuff I've seen were producers turned DJs who were having a good time, maybe one of those was using a controller though, who knows.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Most producers that use controllers are just using that as the easiest way to play their own stuff and have already tailored it for traktor to be awesome. Don't really consider them the same as a open format DJ.

Sure but then I guess the/our/your problem with people using controllers has more to do with demographics than skills.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
With the 2000s and their decimal point accuracy you can just lightly ride the jogwheel every couple of seconds though, especially when you've prepared all your stuff in Rekordbox. It's not that different from using a pure software solution.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
The technical side and workflow issues are very much a rote learning thing, actually playing cool songs and getting a party going is way harder yeah. I'm glad I don't have to make any money off of it.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
You can batch rename your songs' filenames with Rapid Evolution 3 which is a finicky piece of software but does Key detection for free too.

Is there a way to completely disable iTunes integration in Traktor on OSX btw?

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
What every DJ hopes to achieve: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XFrex-QpA

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Wholeheartedly agree with the Mono bag wankfest, I'm in love with mine.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

revmoo posted:

One question though, how do you expand the loop box so that its wider?

You mean visually increase the loop over the waveform? IE, increase the loop lenght? There's a row of numbers underneath that shows up if you set your deck size to either full or advanced in the preferences/deck layout menu. Make sure your tracks are properly gridded though, so that the beat sized 'ticks' in Traktor match up to the song. The software automatically does this for you pretty well these days.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
UI elements in Traktor don't scale, four decks is really cramped on my 13" MBP for instance :(

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Uuuugh people couldn't be arsed to dance during new year's.

The few enthusiasts were super cool though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

epalm posted:

A controller would have the same issue, unless you're saying the build quality of controllers are better, on average.

With controllers it'd be something you'd have control over yourself though.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Looks like they're being sold as Elacin ER20s here in continental Europe, just ordered a pair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
If you use Rekordox and the quantize function a Nexus is up there with software wrt automation.