Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

The Dark Wind posted:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack?

You're gonna have a pretty difficult time skratching with the Mixtrack. It's possible, but you have to get accustomed to the latency and the tiny low-resolution jogwheels. I'm sure if you put in tons of practice you could get to a decent level, but nothing like you can do with other controllers out of the box. I have a VCI-300 that I use when I'm traveling and it's perfect for cutting.

This dude holds it down with the VCI-300:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgxanpIjawM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

vanilla slimfast posted:

Uh, no you can map midi controllers to serato. The NI Traktor X1 even comes with a mapping xml file for SSL

Yeah, you can map a number of non-native controllers to be used in Serato, although the integration isn't the greatest. Check out this thread on the Serato boards for lots of info - http://serato.com/forum/discussion/334327

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

TheWevel posted:

I don't know how many people on here use Serato Itch, but they released the Itch 2.0 Beta. Here are a few of the additions:

-Changed the UI to look like Scratch Live (this was one of my major gripes with Itch)
-Added a tempo synced version of the SP6 sample player
-Added support for Smart Crates (finally)

In addition to my regular setup of CDJs/DJM-700 and an SL3, I have a Numark NS6 that I use for some gigs. Itch was just so backwards from SL that I hated using it but hopefully the Itch 2.0 release may change that for me. We'll see.

It's about time, my VCI-300 has been collecting dust for a few months. Might have to break it out and play around with the new version.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

fordan posted:

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat?

Also keep looking at eBay which is probably a bad idea as well…

I really like Vestax decks a lot. I picked up a pair of PDX-A1s for $100 recently. They're built like tanks and have much higher torque than 1200s. If you can find any of the PDX series decks for a decent price, you should definitely pick them up.

Also, the "Super OEM" decks, like the Stanton STR8-150s, are quite well-liked though I've never used them. But yeah, like someone else mentioned, get Techs if you're serious about djing out with vinyl as most anywhere you go is going to have a pair.

billy cuts
Aug 14, 2003

wrists of fury
Buglord

Nindoze posted:

Rad, thanks.. so for getting into turntablism - mainly scratching, are there any cheaper decent options than the stanton str8150 I had my eye on - or is going cheaper inadvisable for that kind of stuff?

Any of the Vestax PDX series (as I said in an earlier post, you can find the A1/A1s for $50-$100 each these days). I started on PDX-A1s and have since moved to 1200s but the Vestax decks are tanks. Better torque than a 1200 and a wider pitch.