Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

This worked! Mix recorded. Although, I have a bad habit of trying all suggested fixes at once - in this case turning off wifi, consistency check, run First Aid on both drives - instead of troubleshooting one-by-one so I'm not sure exactly what did it. Anyway it's working for now, thanks!

I wonder if it's a CPU thing, and how accurate is the CPU load meter in Traktor anyway? It's always gone crazy for me, but it's never had a noticeable effect until last night.

I'm not sure if this is still true, but if you have a USB interface, USB and WiFi run on the same "bridge" of the motherboard. On older PCs of mine, this was constantly an issue because of bandwidth IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Mister Speaker posted:

Welp, I think my DJ laptop just bricked. it's a 2011 MacBook Pro 15" (8,2). last night while I was putting together another OPS mix the screen turned to a grey checkered pattern and when I started up again it hung on a grey screen.

Anyone see a MBP do this before? Looking around it looks like it might be a graphics issue. Too bad, I just pimped the machine out with an SSD too. Oh well, I've got a backup laptop and Im going to MacDoc tomorrow anyway.

Yeah, sounds like an issue with the graphics card - when this happened to me, they had to replace the entire logic board, but repairs are capped at $315 or something so it wasn't atrocious.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Balloon Time Hooray! posted:

Maybe pickup the older 2 channel Numark NS7? It's a controller with spinning platters. SSL has been discontinued so it's going to be hard to find something that works with it. Serato DJ replaced SSL.

Ugh, it's a good idea but the hardware is riddled with problems. I'd be careful getting an NS7.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

skull mask mcgee posted:

MacBooks from the Apple refurb store are also just as good as new though you might have to wait for them to be in stock.

This really is the way to go

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

huhu posted:

Are there any good video tutorials for getting started DJing? I started watching a few on youtube and didn't like any of them. I'd like something that introduces music theory stuff and goes from there.

What are you looking for with regards to music theory in DJing? The only thing that's really musical is the keys of two songs mixing together, and for starting out, I'd say that's less important than beatmatching/mixing/phrasing.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Fenarisk posted:

Heading to a local bar tomorrow night that has been doing "open decks wednesdays" for about a month to see what the competition is like. Only issue if I do give it a shot (first time playing outside of house parties), is they have CDJ-2000's which I've never used :smith:

Biggest challenge for me after not being on them for a long, long time was the cue buttons. I completely forgot how to set cues and was jumping all over the place.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
all I want to do is juggle hot cues ok

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

Friday thought experiment: on a scale of "slightly stupid" to "you're a moron" how bad of an idea would it be to try to teach myself to scratch on a PT-01? I just simply don't have space for full turntables at the moment and the idea of being able to use timecode and a mixfader with my phone or iPad is super appealing. I figure if nothing else I'll end up with a super light touch.

Two of my friends who are turntablists can rock a pt-01 with a mixfader. I've only seen videos of them working it, but it sounds like it's fine. I'd say give it a shot

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

I mean learn from the beginning. I have a feeling it's like trying to learn pool on one of those Sharper Image tabletop pool tables.

I mean, my recommendation would be a PDX-2000 and a baby mixer. that shouldn't set you back too much.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

TheWevel posted:

Also it looks like the DJM-T1 supports rekordbox DVS now. My biggest gripe with the T1 was Traktor.

Is that still produced? If so, I would have loved that over the Z2 :(

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale
Sound Reinforcement Handbook by Gary Davis and Ralph Jones.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Yeuuuuuuuuch that's a spicy meat-a-ball.
I wonder if that'll do good or bad things for the value of my MKII's.

I sold mine at their peak value and ended up eventually getting PDX-2000s for $300 total. Perfect for a home setup. I feel like $1200 MSRP is insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

qirex posted:

Phase just got delayed for like the 4th time, March is the release date now. It’s cool technology but I’d wait until it was a bit more mature.

I dropped my preorder after the first delay. They tried to negotiate with me about it, saying that everything is fine. I said I'd wait until final production is done and units are being reviewed first.