Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I'm really tempted to pick up a Traktor system so I can stop carrying so many CDs. But I don't know which I would want, the S4 hardware interface or the timecode cd/vinyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Le0 posted:

does the 15'' hiress screen really does that much of a difference?
Also a mate of mine is telling me to get the 7200rpm hard drive because Serato/Traktor would not be able to cope without it? I'm calling bullshit on this but what do you guys think?

I know Ableton chokes and dies when I use it on a 5400RPM drive.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

AKP posted:

So I finally purchased The Traktor Kontrol S4 two days ago, its been working wonders.

Can you post a photo of a laptop under the 'laptop riser' it has built in?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Twiin posted:

Can you post a photo of a laptop under the 'laptop riser' it has built in?

...or anyone who has the S4, really.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Firaga posted:

Am I missing a joke or are we talking about the case?

Ugh. On second look, I misread a line of a review, and I thought it had a riser so you could slide the laptop under it like you can with the Pioneer unit, but I guess it was talking about the flight case.

Because man that is so sweet.

Edit: Although I guess it wouldn't be that hard to add an inch of foam padding or something on the bottom to do the same thing.

Edit 2: Actually, if someone could take a photo of the bottom of the unit, that would be great.

Twiin fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 29, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

artard posted:

I'm demoing a Traktor Kontrol S4 tomorrow (and buying it if I like it). I'm pretty loving psyched after reading all the reviews and hearing other people's opinions of it. I will be disappointed if I don't think it totally rules.

I bought the S4 from a store with a 30-day return policy so that I could try them out at a few real gigs, and I honestly don't know how I could ever go back to CDs now.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Chitin posted:

So I just got my first real gig, DJing an LGBT charity event... for five hours o_o

This is going to be an amazing experience. And afterwards, I will sit down forever.

Congrats! 5 hours isn't that big of a deal once you get used to DJing, but it might be a tough place to start. Make sure you bring a lot more music than you think you'll need, and make sure you don't blow all your big tracks early. With a set like that, you can craft the evening pretty well. Figure out 1-2 anchor tracks in advance for each hour that will set the mood and that you can use to play off of.

For example:

10PM: That ambient thing with the girl singing and that underworld track
11PM: That trip-hop track and that other trip-hop track
12PM: That really popular techno track with the big kick
1AM: My guaranteed floor-filling banger
2AM: That melancholy house track everyone loves to slow dance to

Twiin fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Jul 21, 2011

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Chitin posted:

This is really great advice, thanks!

Yeah I have a ton of music but I'm hard at work buying more...

I do 5-hour sets regularly, and I usually average about 70-80 tracks a night. I don't ever want to play more than 1/3 of the albums I have with me (it sucks looking through your music and realizing you've played most of it), and if you assume no more than 1 track off an album in a night, that's 225 albums with playable tracks you want with you at a minimum, if you want to be able to spin without getting stressed about not having enough music.

I had closer to 1000 with me, but that's because I had to be able to do it weekly without repeating myself every week.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Or put it in a really really big baggie with a hole for the usb cable.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Has anyone tried the NI S4 bag?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

fordan posted:

I definitely see your point with controllers. I haven't had a lot of time yet to play with mine, but while trying to pick up beatmatching, I not only have to ignore the big ole Sync button that calls seductively to me but I need to keep my eyes closed so I don't see the graph the software helpfully provides telling me how far and in which direction it thinks the beat is off by. Maybe I do need to pick up some turntables to add to the setup, even though that'll make it a pretty big bedroom DJ setup. Not sure I'm completely with you on Motown/Soul, though.

I've been DJing since I was fifteen. I started on vinyl and tapes(!).

Forget vinyl. Learning how to DJ on vinyl if you're going to be using controllers is like learning to drive a 16-wheeler because you want to buy a Honda Civic. Learn to love the Sync button. Become the best loving person in your city at using those controllers in ways that vinyl could never be used. Look forward. Be tomorrow's DJ.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Chitin posted:

Absolutely. I'm a controller DJ but I'm trying to get my hands on some turntables (on my budget) to learn to beatmatch with, because I think it's a skill I should have if I'm serious.

I think of it like Picasso or Pollock. These were guys that abandoned the traditional structure of their art, and what gave them the ability to do that and be taken seriously was their mastery over the traditional form. If Jackson Polluck couldn't paint a figure, he would just be some dude throwing paint on a canvas; but since he could have been painting figures, and instead decided to make action paintings, that meant something.

Maybe sort of a strained analogy but you get what you mean. Nobody can call you out for being a laptop DJ if you're choosing not to spin vinyl but know how.

Sure, but you're not a vinyl DJ that has abandoned the structure of your art. You're an abstract impressionist with gallery showings that has decided to go to the community college for a still life course because they think it'll make them a better abstract impressionist. Which is a really weird idea.

I grew up on vinyl. Do you know who I call out for being a lame laptop DJ? DJs who know how to spin vinyl, and use controllers the same way they used vinyl. They use them to beatmatch. They could be using vinyl, which would be more interesting than watching them press 'sync' and not do anything else. They're boring as gently caress. Why bother?

The laptop DJs that don't get 'called out' are the ones who aren't handicapping themselves by learning the limitations and trappings of a medium that's over half a century old. They're the ones who have learned chopping and looping on the fly instead of how to nudge a record without bumping the needle. They can memorize a half-dozen hot cue points per track instead of looking at the vinyl to know where the break is.

I mean, it's your life, friend. But all this vinyl fetishism is bullshit. Learning how to beatmatch on vinyl will not make you a better controller DJ. Learning how to beatmatch on your controller might. Learning how to use all the other features of your controller will.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Firaga posted:

With Traktor's effects I can't see the need for Ableton unless you're doing some extremely creative poo poo like looping 4 decks and running samples and different effects on each deck, even then, Traktor 2 is extremely powerful.

I love Traktor, but Ableton's effects blow it out of the water. You just can't compete with the number of killer VSTs out there.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Thoogsby posted:

Out of curiosity what are the implications of using a controller without an external card?

Lots of latency between the time you do something on the controller and the time you hear it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
What's your latency like with a setup like that?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Thoogsby posted:

Does anyone here use a USB hub? I don't have enough ports for my mouse, controller and sound card.

I bought this 7-port USB hub after a fair bit of research specifically for use with live music, and it has performed flawlessly.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Mescal posted:

How do you guys know if a gig's money is honest?

You don't.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TheWevel posted:

This seems weird and fetish-like to me. Why would you want this? If it's to copy what somebody else is doing don't do it. If it's sexual arousal then more power to you.

Why in the world wouldn't it be okay to copy what someone else is doing, or watch an expert to see how they use a tool? DJs are the ones who fetishize their own actions. Do you think a drummer would tell you not to watch videos of other drummers to see how they're doing something?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

TheWevel posted:

It's DJing, not spinal surgery. How you turn knobs compared to someone else doesn't matter. I guess to me it's like copying the exact way someone else dresses.

The point isn't that it matters if you turn knobs like someone else, the point is to learn how to use your equipment in new and interesting ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Nevergirls posted:

Hey what's a good DJ table for me to buy for, let's say $250 max? This is for at home use.

My gift to you.