Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'm just starting to seriously get into DJing, and I'm getting barraged with so much information it's daunting to take it all in. I've just been using my humble setup of a Numark Mixtrack with Traktor for now, and I feel like I'm quickly starting to outgrow it. I want to start saving up some cash to get turntables to use with Traktor, but there's so much information out there that it really confuses me, so I have a few questions:

1. First off, what are some good, reasonably priced products so that I can move away from these jog wheels into actual, moving, turntables? I know I need a mixer and 2 separate decks, but I don't want to shell out a bunch of money and then realize I bought a bunch of worthless crap that'll break in a month. Yes, I know all this stuff requires a pretty huge wallet, I just want to make sure I get the most bang for my buck.

2. How do you work with effects when using turntables and a mixer? Using my Mixtrack it's pretty simple, I just have some buttons on the top that let me select effects, and then I just press a few more buttons and bam there they are being used on a track. However, if I get an external mixer, unless I get something that has MIDI functionality, it seems to me like you're stuck with using only the whatever effects that mixer has. Most of the lower end mixers see, to not have anything besides EQ effects, as far as I can tell. Do you need to get some sort of separate MIDI controller to work with all the Traktor effects? Or is there something I'm missing here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

vanilla slimfast posted:

Get a pair of used Technics 1200s and be done with it. They are built like tanks and hold their resale value pretty well. Go for M3D or MK5s if you can find them, as they don't have the pitch lock groove that can be a pain to deal with (those models have a separate quartz lock button instead)

Well, you don't *have* to have a controller to run effects, but it certainly makes it much easier. Traktor has assignable keyboard shortcuts that you could set up to approximate what you are doing now with the Mixtrack. Honestly if you're just starting out, I'd not worry about effects too much. Focus on your beatmatching, phrasing, and programming first and then look at bringing effects into the picture a bit later

Thanks for the response! I'll start saving up for those Technics, although at what seems like the price of nearly $1k a turntable this definitely won't be cheap. I have another questions specifically for Mixtrack users, since I noticed there are a couple of you guys here:

How feasible is scratching on the Mixtrack? Any attempts I make at this are incredibly sloppy, and I haven't been able to find any good guides or videos of someone scratching one and showing you how to. I've found like one or two youtube videos of some guy scratching on one to some moderate success, but I can't even begin to replicate anything like that. I know part of it is just simply practicing, but I really don't even know what goals to be shooting for when I practice, nothing I do sounds really fluid or goes with whatever else I'm playing.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Two things:

About the DDJ-T1 versus S4, I was playing with both of them earlier today at Guitar Center, and I have to say I like the S4 a lot better. It's sleeker, built better, and doesn't feel as clunky as the T1. The T1 just feels really... plasticy, if that makes sense. But take this with a grain of salt, I've been DJing for less than 2 months and am a complete rookie to all of this, which leads me to my second thing:

Are there any videos of DJs playing complete sets, with a view of the mixer and all the stuff they're doing? I feel like if I could just get a good look of what someone is doing during a typical night I could learn tons. Hell, if any of you guys just ran FRAPS or something during a set and uploaded it somewhere that would be fricking amazing (although I imagine FRAPS might give some problems with Audio latency and what not). In either case, a video of someone DJing like they normally do would be an awesome resource.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Rivfader posted:

Check out B@ TV, they record sets from a number of different DJ's and include a view from the booth.

This is a pretty sweet link. Are there any videos in particular you'd recommend to watch? Some are pretty hard to see what's going on either due to distance or lighting.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

tehk posted:

I just finished modifying my case and I ended up with more extra room than I had anticipated. I am thinking about filling the empty slot with a midi controller to load effect presets. The controller needs to be around the same size and orientation as the X1 but no larger than 5x13". I only need around 12 buttons. 4 for each FX panel and around 8 for the presets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a photo to get an idea what I have to work with:

edit: I use the maschine for samples. It takes a lot more prep but it gives me the ability to turn my two sample decks into track decks and have a lot more samples on hand.

The s4 controls decks A+B and FX1+2 while the X1 does C+D and FX 3+4. Having dedicated controls just makes life easier.

I'm working towards getting that exact same setup. A few questions. What's the sound card for? Doesn't the S4 have it's own soundcard? Also, do you think you could possibly run through how you built this? I'm wondering what case you used so I could possibly get a similar sized one.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So, I think I'm ready to move to the next level and invest more seriously in some DJ gear. I should have about a budget of about $2000 to work on, more or less. I'm still trying to decide between CDJs of some sort or the kontrol S4 + traktor and get a few other toys with the remaining money. I plan on djing some house parties with top 40 and dubstep type stuff, and eventually moving towards clubs and playing house music of different sorts. I know in most clubs CDJs are the standard, so ideally I'd want to learn on those. I've heard a couple of stories of people not getting jobs because of controllers and what not, and I'd prefer to avoid that if at all possible. I live in the north east if it matters. What I'm wondering is, what route should I go for? I know CDJs are more expensive, but with a budget of $2000 what kind of setup could I get that'll hopefully last me for a long time?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So would it be a smarter idea overall to invest in CDJs? So far I've just used Traktor with a Mixtrack, but I want to move up, and I wouldn't be too upset if I had to forego being digital, although I'm wondering if that's practical. I want quality, widely accepted gear that'll last me for a while, so I'm willing to shell out a couple of extra bucks to get some of the upper-tier CDJs as well as a decent mixer. Is that a good idea at all? I'm still getting used to the pace at which this industry moves in, so I'm not entirely sure on which direction to move in.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So after playing around in guitar center and doing some reading, I think I've decided to my next purchase is going to be an NS7. drat that thing is so fun and awesome, I don't think I could use any other controller. I have a few questions about Serato Itch though. Can you label cue points in Serato Itch like you can in Traktor? Ideally I'd like to be able to label cue point 3 something like "breakdown" and 4 "drop" and things of that nature. Also, I just got an LPD8, I know Serato Itch is a pretty closed software and doesn't really accept other controllers, but is there any possibility of mapping some of the knobs and pads to the LPD8 to trigger certain effects or the like?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It looks like I'll be doing my first official gig next Saturday opening up for another DJ at a house party. I was at their place yesterday, they have nice lighting effects and a sound system. I'm gonna be bringing my sound card, Numark Mixtrack, and my laptop. Question is, how does one usually hook up a laptop to a house mixer? Do I bring my RCA cables and just hook em up in the back of the mixer? Also any other random advice and tips or whatever would be super appreciated.

Edit: Also, if anybody has advice for mixing drum and bass and dubstep in the same advice, that'd be cool too. I'm guessing just switch in drops after breakdowns of another, although I feel like that could get kinda messy.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 10, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey OP, you should throw this in your topic post:

http://www.mixshare.com/software.html

It's the exact same thing as Mixed in Key, except free. It works pretty well, and I've been using it to help sort through my library thanks to the tagging capabilities. It occasionally crashes on some songs, but hey, it costs nothing and gets the job done.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Professorbx posted:

As well, if you have an SL1 with any Core i3/i5/i7 system, you are pretty much hosed as soon as any serious power management kicks in.

Can you go into this in more detail? I've tried looking around but information is split up between a bunch of stuff and considering all the different dates I'm not sure what information is currently accurate. I have a Macbook that I got sometime around this January, and it has an i5 in it. I was thinking of getting a TTM57 within the next week or two, but if it's going to give me a fuckton of problems, I might have to reconsider my choice.

Edit: Ok I did a bit more searching. As far as I understand, if you've got an i5 but an Apple computer you're fine, but if you're on Windows you're kinda hosed? So in regards to my situation I should be mostly ok, I'm hoping.

Edit Part 2: Also, while we're on Serato, another question. I'm getting the TTM57, but I'll probably have to wait a couple of more weeks before I can get a pair of turntables. Is there anyway to map other midi controllers to Scratch Live? Ideally I could use the jogwheels and play buttons on my Mixtrack as a temporary set up until I have my tables.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Apr 29, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Professorbx posted:

I would actually not get the 57. The new one is right around the corner, and you can get the SL2 for $499 now. They work fine with OSX-based i3/5/7's (should have sad that, sorry!). At first I was all about having everything all in one, but now, honestly, I like the freedom of switching more. If something better for my needs comes out I don't want to be stuck, and if my mixer breaks I don't want to be screwed either.

If you do decide to get a 57, you can map MIDI controllers to SSL no problem. Our SCS3d's have a pretty solid mapping, and I THINK that the Denon single deck controllers do as well. Or you can always just rock internal mode and the hot cues.

Do you happen to have any ideas as to how soon the new Serato mixer will come out? I'd rather not wait a couple of months because I'm a pretty impatient dude, but if it's like in 2 or 3 weeks I'll hold off. I thought the 68 was their newest mixer, but I don't know how recently they announced it and started shipping it out.

I've been considering getting an SL2 and another mixer instead of Serato, but I'm worried I'll be missing out on all the compatibility and features that Serato with ttm57 offers. Are there any good SL2+Mixer combinations that wouldn't break $1500, where I wouldn't have to worry about losing alot of features and all that fun stuff? Man maybe I should just get an NS7 or something. I really want some tables and Serato though.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 29, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Does anyone know of any tracking devices you can put into your equipment case, kind of similar to a Lo-Jack? It'd be nice to have that extra layer of security just in case something does happen and there's enough time to track the culprit down. Not sure how feasible or sensible it would be, but I figure it's worth a shot, since I'm a pretty over protective person in general when it comes to these kinds of things.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

oredun posted:

I think if there were, it would really easy just to take it out of the case. Big ole hole in that plan.

True, but with how small these things are getting, I'm sure there's one small enough that you could put it discreetly in the side of the case. I'm guessing most people wouldn't expect some sort of tracker in a case, but maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

artard posted:

So I just booked my first live dubstep gig, and first DJing gig in almost a decade. Two sets in the same night (1 hour and 2 hours). I'm nervous as gently caress. Does anyone have any advice or a pep talk for me? I DJ with a laptop and Traktor Kontrol S4 if it matters.

Drink a little, but honestly after a couple of minutes you'll realize it's the same thing you've been doing in your bedroom all along. The only problem I've ever noticed is that sometimes I just get incredibly tired and fatigued, and once you start to run out of songs is when the real problem hits. As long as you have a huge library of songs you like, you should be good. Also, are you opening or doing the main set? Opening is a lot tougher, since you don't get to throw in a bunch of your favorite bangers, so it makes choosing songs a lot more confusing until you get the hang of what you should be playing.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Just a quick question for the more experienced fellas, but what's the way to chain song drops, like say in house or drum and bass? A lot of the big DJs I know will just play song drop after drop after drop, then a breakdown for a bit, followed by more drops. Is this just already having certain cue points established in advance for those songs? Or is there something else they're doing that you can do on the fly and keep that energy going? I feel like most songs have such long intros that as soon as a drop hits from song A, if I start up song B at the intro, by the time song B hits the drop song A has already gone into a breakdown. I hope that made sense.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Alright, some more questions for you guys. As a DJ who's new to the scene, you usually get opening gigs and the like, which are a lot tougher than the main slots (since you just get to play awesome banger after banger). When you're opening, what kind of stuff do you play? To be more specific, if you're opening an electro house night, would you stick to all electro even if you're opening (I imagine not), or would you stick more with tech house, progressive house, and stuff along those lines, and slowly ramp yourself towards electro? I've been slowly getting very into tech house, and if that helps with opening gigs that would be drat awesome, I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Thanks for the advice guys! I find that Boston's scene is kinda unusual, since the EDM community is rather small and close knit, so when you go to a show, even as early as like 9:30 PM or so, there's already a pretty drat good amount of people there that all just want to start dancing like crazy. I've almost never seen a real "opening" DJ set, since the majority of the time as soon as I show up they're already starting to play some pretty loud and crazy stuff, and that kind of energy just keeps going and never stops until 2:00 AM or so. Most of that kind of stuff probably wouldn't fly anywhere else. Eitherway, I've always known not to play the crazy popular bangers as an opening DJ and leave that for the headliner, but at the same time I had been wondering if I should just stick to one subgenre, or venture out into related subgenres and kind of just build the energy using tracks from various different places, but the above advice pretty much completely answered that question.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Sjoewe posted:

I usualy don't bother getting to the club before 1:30, but then again that's just how we roll here in Europe :smug:

Unfortunately our transportation system completely shuts down after 12:30, so it's only taxis from there on out, and most people are also sissies that can't handle staying up a little late. It's unfortunate :(, if I ever have a chance to move to Europe (which I might once I graduate), I am 100% taking that opportunity and never looking back.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So, I'm liking this new Serato Itch 2.0 beta. The feel is a lot nicer and more modern looking, and I like all the new display options. I'm not much for fancy DJing, so I wasn't really need nor expecting anything too crazy. I'm just wondering about the SP-6. Are you supposed to only be able to trigger it by using the keyboard? Or do they plan/already have incorporated using external midi controllers to use with that? It would be loving awesome if I could use my LPD8 to work the sample player alongside my NS7, but I'm guessing that that's probably not the case.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'd just like to see more MIDI compatibility with Itch in general. I feel like once that happens it's gonna be a much bigger threat to Traktor than in its current state. I don't mind using the keyboard, but it'd definitely be nice to be able to use my LPD8 and a bunch of other stuff in conjunction with Itch.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Longtiem posted:

where the gently caress in boston are you because i want this when i visit boston :mad:

Check out the Throwed event in Boston, it's every Tuesday night at the Middle East downstairs. Also check out the Phoenix Landing, they have specialty electronic music shows every day. Thursdays is drum and bass, which is awesome. Someone actually mentioned Throwed earlier, I think in either this thread or the House thread in the main ML forum. I think he works for them or is a promoter or something. But yeah, if you ever come by the area, check it out, it's usually a wild night.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So I'm playing my first serious bar gig in the middle of August 16. Gonna be playing mostly dubstep, as it's a DnB/dubstep night, and I'm already feeling a little anxious about it. The guy who's running it is having everybody playing on his CDJs and Technics 1200. I personally have never burned a CD for DJing, nor do I own any records, as I've only really mixed exclusively with controllers up to this point. I don't own a Serato Box either (which I'm trying to get). I'll admit my beatmatching skills aren't perfect, so I'm a little worried about this gig. Anyone wanna throw some general pointers, and maybe some specific advice regarding moving from a program like Serato Itch to CDJs? Hell any advice on CDJs in general would be cool. I'm gonna have a couple of chances to mess around with the guy's decks, so I won't be going in completely cold, but I don't want to make an rear end out of myself either, so I want to brush up in these next few weeks' time and get my skills as best as they can. Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Hey, can one of you guys break down what's going on in the transitions between genres in this mix? I really like what he's doing, but I can't quite pin down exactly how he's going about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbOOT6-AQiA&feature=player_embedded#at=2074

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Saucy Slit posted:

I'm planning on getting the Numark NS7, NS6 or the NI S4. I checked them all out and liked the NS7 the most because of the platter scratchability and it's built like a tank. As I use to do turntabilism I like to scratch here and there but it is not my main concern. I was hype on the S4 but was unimpressed with it's toyish feel, and lack of visible markers on the fx knobs. I've been told the jog wheels crap out fast. As for NS6 I don't really know much other than it seems a wee bit more expensive.

I love Traktor over Serato as my mix program, but drat that NS7 is tight. Does anyone have experience and preference to any of these?

I currently use a VCI-300 which I like cause it's solid,small, fast, and reliable. I mix funky house and sometimes wish I had effects in my VCI, but I'm not shelling out $250 for the lame VFX unit.

I have the NS7. I love it, but would prefer the NS6. The NS6 weights A LOT less than the NS7, which is an absolute hassle to transport due to its size. If you wanna go play shows with it, the NS6 is ideal as it has everything the NS7 has and more, including 4 deck mixing. The only thing missing is the moving platters, but it has a spinning light display similar to CDJs that I really like. As far as price is concerned, I actually think the NS6 is cheaper than the NS7+NSFX.

For me, I also find Serato superior to Traktor. If you're in the US, almost no one uses Traktor. If you learn on Serato Itch, you more or less already know how to use Scratch Live if you eventually start using that (which you will if you keep progressing), and that is an incredible piece of software. Currently Traktor is a bit stronger than Itch, but whenever they release The Bridge for Itch, it will be no contest. Even without The Bridge, I still prefer Itch over Traktor. I love the stacking waveforms, and it makes it so that you don't have to be a slave to the sync button, which makes mixing feel a lot more fluid. It is much more bare bones and open. I also love using Crates. I absolutely hate how Traktor manages the music library, and the decks themselves take up too much screen real estate. Itch has a much nicer balance, a less cluttered feel, and is extremely reliable. Overall, I would recommend both the NS7 and NS6, but if you're not DJing hip hop, the NS6 is definitely the way to go. If I had the chance I would have definitely gotten the NS6 over the NS7. Alternatively, you could buy the NS6 and I'll trade you my NS7 for it. :)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Do any of you guys know how to get something Milkdrop to work with the music you're playing currently? Specifically I have this setup/dilemma. On my PC I have a large 32" screen that I want to play the Milkdrop Visualizer, perhaps to use this in a party or something like that. Then, I have my Macbook on the side with an NS7 which I'd use tunes to play with. I have a Line 6 UX2 connected to the PC for inputs/outputs/all that jazz. Is there any way to connect something from the NS7 to the PC, and then have milkdrop on the PC respond to the music? If something like this could feasibly work that'd be pretty awesome.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I don't know much about sunrise sets to be honest, but I feel like something along the lines of this song would be perfect

Paul Kalkbrenner - Platscher
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50PuotCodMY

(I guess this post is really just an excuse to post this amazing song, I wish I had a viable reason to play this in my sets)

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'm playing a party/event dealie sometime in the middle of September. They're throwing me on first and having me play for an hour. However, I know the guy running everything personally and he says that my hour officially doesn't start until there's a good amount of people dancing and the like, so that we all have our fair time to play. So if there's no one there by 9 but by 9:20 there's a decent amount, then I'd play from 9:20-10:20. Since I go to a music school, there's usually a variety of music playing, but when they have DJs it's usually electro/dubstep/etc, which is what I spin and I think I'm pretty decent at. However, due to the rather odd nature of these events, I have to basically start off at a decent energy level and ramp up quickly in less than hour, but at the same time not overwhelm everyone. I think I'll be spinning mostly drumstep and dubstep, with a little drum and bass, moombahton, and electro here and there. Anyone have any good tips for ramping up energy levels in a shorter time span but in a coherent way?

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

That Wicked Walrus posted:

I don't know what kind of scene you're talking about but I would frown really hard at anybody playing drumstep at 9pm... no offense but there's really no way to ramp the energy up like that at that time of night, people aren't hosed up enough yet (unless you're Rusko and this is a music festival or something). You MIGHT get away with funky moombahton or chill, non-wobbly dubstep but I think that high energy music is a bad idea. At 9pm I'm playing like, Tom Tom Club and Nas instrumentals.

I definitely understand where you're coming from, but Boston's scene, at least around parties and a lot of night club events, is really loving weird. A large amount of people show up out of nowhere at the most random times, wanting heavy hitting music immediately. Unless you're playing at a proper night club, most places usually start strong and peak strong. If it was up to me, I'd be playing something more along the lines of tech/deep/funky house, liquid dnb, chillstep, and the likes, and ramp up the energy for other DJs. However, a lot of people will show up at random times, and they won't move for anything unless its heavy bass and dirty. Ramping the energy up in a timely and cohesive fashion is almost always a very bad idea, and never works out well. It's not easy to adapt to, hence why I came here for some advice.

One of the biggest criticisms I heard from the guy running this place about another opener DJ is that his tracks didn't hit hard enough. He tried to stick to a more reasonable formula, but between 9-11pm there were already a good enough mix of drunk and sober people that it demanded some harder hitting music to be played.

I've tried playing chiller dubstep to warm people up at a mostly dubstep/drum and bass night here, such as Benga/Coki/Skream etc., and it did not go too well. The moment I tried playing harder stuff, everyone responded positively. I'm not sure how to ramp up energy in a smaller time frame, but if anyone has any experience with this weird kind of situation, it'd be awesome to hear from them.

Edit: Boston's night scene has a very constrained amount of time under which it can operate. People head out somewhere between 9-11 depending on where they live, and at 12 almost all the transportation systems shut down. Since most people can't afford taxi fare, this is the extent to where a lot of students can party, unless they're willing to walk long distances. Bars and clubs shut down at 2 AM unless it's RISE, and that's to the extent where the rest of the population stick around. I've seen some live shows last longer than that, but those were bigger acts such as Dieselboy and the like. In general, Boston is pretty drat weird.

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Aug 27, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

88h88 posted:

I recall a while back someone was asking for tracks which transitioned from one style/tempo to another for ease of mixing between them.

Electro (131~bpm) - DnB (175bpm):
Shock One - Polygon (Dirtyphonics remix)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoF4zX24c7s

Are there anymore which transition like this at all? I recall the Tits & Clits remix of DJ Fresh's Gold Dust did similar going from Electro to dubstep, it'd just require a bit of tweaking and it's good to go.

Any tips for mixing between genres at all? Some BPMs just aren't going together so what are the options for doing this? Anyone here mix multiple BPMs/genres willing to throw some knowledge/examples at me?

Much appreciated!

I've been slowly gathering some songs that do these transitions. Here are some good ones

Bassnectar - Ready 2 Rage - Goes from Dubstep to Drumstep
Pendulum - Salt in the Wound - Drum and Bass to Dubstep (then back to DnB)
Gorillaz - Clint Eastwood (Borgore Remix) - Dubstep to Drumstep/DnB
Doctor P - Big Boss (Oscillator Z Drumstep VIP) - Drumstep to Dubstep
Tremourz - Sexy Party (Terravita Remix) - I believe starts Dubstep, then Drumstep

These are just off the top of my head. There are also some other songs that don't change tempo but whose breakdowns are sparse and wide enough that they can be used to transition to anything else. One thing I'm always a fan of doing is playing Noisia - Stigma, then at the breakdown after the main drop it does a sort of whirring powering down sound, and at that point it's really easy to just filter and volume fade in another song before Stigma starts back up again.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

fordan posted:

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat? Everything I've seen and heard says to get SL-1200's, and I do live in a large metro area where they pop on craigslist fairly often, but at $700-$1200 a pair depending on which version, but I keep looking at turntables with pitch adjustment on Amazon for cheaper and wondering if it makes sense or not.

Also keep looking at eBay which is probably a bad idea as well…

I've heard nothing but great things about the Stanton STR8-150s, some people saying they're way better than the Technics 1200s. The thing is, everybody knows about the Technics, there's lots of people with tons of experiences troubleshooting any issue you could possibly ever have or imagine, and they have always had a solid reputation as the table of choice. There are better turntables out there, but Technics are the most established ones, and if you ever have an issue, you'll have a much easier time getting them repaired compared to trying to repair another brand of turntable that aren't as recognized.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Diplomaticus posted:

Anyone know of some good videos that show a decent DJ playing a live set, but where the footage focuses on their hands (i.e. what they are doing with their equipment) and their computer monitor?

Someone mentioned http://www.be-at.tv/ when I asked this same question a while back. It's not the most perfect solution, but it definitely helped me to an extent.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
There's also this video of Laidback Luke mixing, although to be honest I really don't like his performance in this that much. It starts around 7:20ish or so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBs9Qa3rPv0

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Firaga posted:

Thats from http://www.djsounds.com/

:doh: I should pay more attention. Well hopefully all these different links help you out, eitherway!

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

oredun posted:

Why? It seems like a pretty obvious product they were missing, not everyone uses TTs or CDJs, or want to be tied to some super expensive controller. Its for the kids with MPDs and things like that.

Wait, does anyone know if the normal Numark Mixtrack (Not the Mixtrack Pro) works with DJ Intro? Ever since I got my NS7 I never use Traktor, so my old controller has just been sitting there collecting dust. If I could pick that controller up again and use it in smaller parties with my already carefully organized Serato library, this would be a god send.

Edit: Just tried checking and it seems like it doesn't. Lame. :(

reversefungi fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 5, 2011

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
There are two reasons that I love Serato over Traktor, and they are pretty simple. First off are the beatgrids. As far as I know, you can't do multi-tempo beatgrids within one song in Traktor, but in Serato it's piss easy and takes 2 minutes tops to set up. The second is that the waveforms are numbered, so I can better tell what bar I'm in. If I'm practicing a new song, sometimes I'll just jump to bar 17, 33, or 65 and I'm already mixing pretty seemlessly. These seem like pretty easy things for Traktor to add in, and perhaps the second one is just an option I haven't turned on yet, but as far as I know Traktor doesn't have them and Serato does. It's a pretty awesome application.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
Last night I got my first chance to play a huge party from beginning to end, and man what a feeling that was. I was blasting dubstep, drumstep, electro/dutch house, moombahton, and the occasional top 40 or hip hop, and people were going absolutely insane. Got tons of props from everybody, people were screaming and dancing their heads off, women were checking me out, and I felt like king of the night. All this while playing music I absolutely love and listen to all the time on my own. I want to do this everyday.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
It's probably just a sign of the times. More and more people are going digital, and it's probably reached that point where they noticed their sales figures were dropping significantly to the point that it wasn't profitable to continue making them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
So uh, is each DJ gonna get like 60 minutes to play? How on earth are they gonna coordinate that? Or are they looking for turntablists and controllerists?