Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Anyone played around with Torq 2.0 yet? I have the Connectiv but I got Serato recently and don't see myself going back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

thanks for the tips

as soon as i record a small mix i'll post it here for review. i'll try out different methods and see what i need to work on.

Can I preempt this by recommending not posting a beginner mix if you know it sucks?

If you scour the various DJ threads on SA this happens regularly and people just come down hard on beginners and tell them to dig deeper. Basically, if it contains Deadmau5 more than once (and personally that's being generous), or really any artist more than once, start there. This is of course me assuming that your mix isn't going to be particularly noteworthy, feel free to prove me wrong, but seriously, if the track list is uninspiring people are just going to tell you to start by digging deeper.

I haven't posted any mixes for exactly this reason - plus my mixes aren't quick, exciting and don't really seem to jive with most of what other people are into; in short, they suck so I spare people. Record your sets and listen to them, you'll know where you're going wrong.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
DJ threads are the worst.

For recording mixes, if the only line in on my laptop is a minijack microphone input do I need to get an outside USB/firewire sound device?

Are a Macbook's line in decent enough to record with? Should I be worried about how CPU intensive recording is with Serato going on the same machine?

It's an older 2Ghz Core2 with 2GB RAM Macbook for reference.

And are there any tips beyond the first post for configuring Audacity?

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

But I'm also one of those people who tends to do longer layered mixes, especially when mixing harmonically.

Are you one of those people that can just figure out the key on your own, or do you painstakingly find it with a keyboard, or do you use something like mixedinkey?

I ask because I can't decide if mixedinkey is vapourware (despite all the endorsements) or a worthwhile investment - or if I should just train my ear somehow.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Opinions: M-audio trigger finger for 40 bucks, worth it?

Not really sure what the hell I'd use it for but hey, options.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Yeah I've got turntables with Serato. I picked up a korg nanokontrol which is alright, technically more banks but the buttons are tiny.

Since I'm asking silly questions already - should I consider selling my old Torq Connectiv and SL1 and moving to Traktor 2? I really want to play around with four decks, and the SL1 is only going to devalue with SL4 coming.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
There's an Allen & Heath Xone 62 for sale in my 'hood for 600 dollars, good deal, or average deal?

I've offered the dude 500 since I've seen them go for that after a little research online.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

proj posted:

Awesome thread!

I've been working with music production (hip hop and DnB) for a while now and now I'm looking to try my hand at dj-ing...

Has anyone had any experience with the Vestax Typhoon? I'm only looking for a good entry level controller set up as 1) I don't have the room for anything bigger ans 2) I don't have the coin to shell out for turntables etc...

So yeah, any feedback on the typhoon would be greatly appreciated.

I picked up the Typhoon to take with me travelling (I'm basically just relocating rather than travelling per se) and it seems alright. To be honest I'm switching from turntables and Serato to the Typhoon and Traktor - to be frank I prefer playing with vinyl, it's more tactile and requires more intuition / listening then button pushing / watching. Also, Traktor's organization system sucks compared to Serato, imo. I just chalk most of my frustation up to preference / the learning process though; it's simply a different way of DJing.

I've had it in squashed in my backpack as is and nothing has broken yet - touch wood. I dunno, kind of a crap review since I haven't actually used any other controllers out there. It's definitely ugly and made of plastic and doesn't have any knobs (again a preference thing, the sliders are in a line and not mirrored so sometimes I reach for the gain and get the high or low slider) but it feels solid enough. I've been mapping it out in traktor to use with four decks, but it's ill suited for that really. It falls a bit short on extra buttons, limiting what you can do in terms of loops/hot cues etc. I'd say if you can find a VCI-100 used that'd be a better option for the same sort of coin. What I wanted to do to be honest but nothing came together before I left. It does have an internal soundcard which puts it ahead of the vci-100 but still, lack of buttons is frustrating - this could be addressed with a nanokontol or something along these lines. Platters themselves seem pretty good, but again I haven't tried other controllers.

Any specific questions? I think ultimately I would say "buy nice or buy twice." If you're serious about this you'll probably outgrow it. Check your local craigslist for deals on used gear.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

And i got into this DJ thing saying i'd never compromise my musical taste one bit :/

Oh god edit it out, save us all...

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

i don't know what you mean cowboy

Someone will inevitably come in and say that playing pop records for money is okay and then someone else will say it's selling out and not "real DJing" and then we have a page or two of back and forth along those lines. It's gonna be great.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

ZeldaLeft posted:

House/dubstep DJs: What makes a great sunrise set? What kind of story are you trying to tell? What moments in the music (huge drops/jumpoffs, giant anthems, epic breakdowns, lyrics, crazy mixes, etc) are you trying to sync with the what positions of the sun in the sky?

I'm spinning a sunrise set or two at Burning Man, and I'd like them to be fairly wonderful :)

Do you party? Usually by the time the has actually risen I'm beat and like it to start winding down - unless drugs are involved - epic breakdowns / massive drops sound kind of like the anti-thesis of a sunrise set but maybe I'm way off base. Go listen to some tracks that get described as perfect for "afterhours" maybe?

I feel like my dream sort of morning set would be a bunch pf Max Cooper / Trentemoller / Dominik Eulberg, or Boards of Canada / Tycho style of stuff. Whale sounds n poo poo.

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 3, 2011

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Since I'm waiting for my new headphones to arrive (http://www.skratchworx.com/reviews/ul_dj1pro.php) lets talk headphones. Should I have bought different 'phones? I'm upgrading from Sennheisser HD 215s which are apparently eh but I was really happy with for 5 years. I was torn between the A&H DX53 (non replaceable cable, bleh), Audio Technica ATH M50 and the Ultrasones. Pioneer was too pricy.

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004

fordan posted:

On a related but slightly different question: are there any non-1200 turntables worth a drat? Everything I've seen and heard says to get SL-1200's, and I do live in a large metro area where they pop on craigslist fairly often, but at $700-$1200 a pair depending on which version, but I keep looking at turntables with pitch adjustment on Amazon for cheaper and wondering if it makes sense or not.

Also keep looking at eBay which is probably a bad idea as well…

Other options include the above mentioned Stantons, or Vestax PDX 3000 I think, or the Numark TTX/500. I have a pair of the Numark TT500s and I'm happy with them, but I can't speak for their longevity because they simply haven't been around long enough (Owned for about 3 years now).

basically this, over and over:

quote:

There are better turntables out there, but Technics are the most established ones, and if you ever have an issue, you'll have a much easier time getting them repaired compared to trying to repair another brand of turntable that aren't as recognized.

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Sep 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboy.
Jan 13, 2004
Whats the deal thread, why haven't we been sperging out about new stuff coming out lately?

Vestax is releasing a 4-deck controller, unsurprisingly the VCI-400:
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/vestax-vci-400-exclusive-video-and-photos/

Allen and Heath are releasing a new mixer the DB2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1804

And a controller the K2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1805

and Pioneer have a new midi-controller the DDJ-Ergo (looks space-age as gently caress):
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1799

Plus there' also some new kid on the block in terms of software titled "The One," which is pretty vague on who's behind it (My feeling is Stanton based on the logo, but I have no idea. Perhaps our resident rep can confirm or deny?)
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/new-modular-dj-software-the-one/

I mean, none of this gets me all that excited (more or less more of the same), but hey, new stuff.

Cowboy. fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Oct 1, 2011