Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
[snip]

GbrushTwood fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Feb 3, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

That intro to your mix. I've heard that voice before. Isn't it a goon voice actor?

As a matter of fact it is! He had a thread where he would say anything anyone wanted, so I had him record that voiceover, and then I decided to start my mix with it. :)

GbrushTwood fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 3, 2011

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Do any of you guys live in the socal/santa barbara area? I'm doing a festival on March 26th with Passion Pit, E-40, Spencer and Hill, El Ten Eleven, and a lot more, but if any of you are around it would be cool if you came out to support!

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
This is kind of irrelevant and also kind of a shameless plug, but if any of you goons happen to live in So-cal, or near santa barbara, I'm doing an all day festival with Spencer and Hill, Passion Pit, E-40, etc, and if any of you would love to come out that would be awesome. http://fla.vor.us/186236-Good-Vibes-tickets/Good-Vibes-Santa-Barbara-Earl-Warren-Showgrounds-March-26-2011.html

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

net work error posted:

I've never actually worn earplugs before but it's time that I do. Do earplugs (like the ones suggested in the OP) get in the way of headphones when djing? If they do, what are some recommended earplugs best suited for djing?

Either way I'm going to get a pair of the ones in the OP for when I go a festival or loud club. I've learned my lesson.

As someone that plays out somewhat regularly, i think that the Etymotic earplugs are the best you can get without gettin custom ones. They are only like $10 bucks a pair, so I would buy a couple pairs off of amazon. Be careful though, they come in 3 distinct sizes and on Amazon are deceptively labeled. There are the small ones (blue), regular (white), and large (white), just make sure you read the fine print.

When I first started using them I thought they would get in the way of DJing, but honestly most of the time if you are playing out at anything louder than your bedroom, you will hear everything just fine through the Earplugs. Start practicing with them on until you get used to them.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I figured I should post this here, here's a video 1080p (excuse the lovely audio, but there are a few other clips of the show in the same channel) of a show I did last night with Kill The Noise in SF.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ev8Jo7CKPU

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Haha sorry abou the horrible horrible sound, I've been trying to get my guy to buy a decent microphone for his camera.

I'm the guy in the skeleton jacket (The Vandal Squad)

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

Professorbx posted:

How is the tour going btw? Digging the Uberstand? You still need to grab those damned headphones!

Thanks man! Yeah its been serving me well, I need to hit you up when I get back so we can hang out :) Did you find out if you are SF bound yet?

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
Best advice that I can give is make sure you have your first 3 transitions down pretty solidly. I find that if you can comfortably and effortlessly get through your first 3 songs or so, it takes the jitters away immediately and sets the tone for the rest of your set.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm just not entirely sure what's appropriate and what's not.

There has already been some pretty advice posted, but here are some other ones that I usually abide by.

1. Don't bang out al the newest and hottest songs that just came out. Those are usually reserved for the headliner, but if really must, maybe try to sneak one of those big new songs near the end of your set.

2. Tech House is pretty awesome for opening sets. Tech house tends to have pretty massive kicks, and the energy is pretty consistant so it's pretty easy to mix together songs and keep the energy at a consistant level. You should avoid a ton of build ups, and your job is to keep the energy going and build it up. Tech house is awesome since the main dance sections of the songs tend to go on for much longer than in electro songs, which usually have 32 bars of dance and then drops into a huge build up. This brings me to point 3

3. Try to avoid a ton of build ups in your opening sets. I find that mastering the art of an opening set is much harder than headlining. To quote Mad Decent, "Anyone can play pon de floor at 1 a.m." If i am playing earlier in the evening during an opening slot, I like to skip build ups all together and just string together the main verses of the songs. If you have ever seen Sinden live, he is excellent at this.

4. Playing some well known classic hits, but ones that the headliners will most likely not play, are usually good bets to sneak into your set. Fake Blood - Mars (herve edit) is a good example of this. Basically, you want to pull people onto the dance floor without exhausting them too much. Also, I find that mashups are great for getting people out on the dance floor. There are many EDM tracks mashed up with top 40 stuff that can be found.

This is what I could think of now, hopefully its helpful!

GbrushTwood fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

The Dark Wind posted:

Hell, I'm probably gonna sell the NS7 and get some real decks and an SL2 or something.

If you want to make it a little easier on yourself, here's a pro-tip that a lot of big name DJ's use. Put your songs into ableton, and save them at roughly the same BPM. A lot of the big name DJ's will save their songs so they are all at say (130, or for dubstep 140 bpm) so when they load up their songs on the cds, there's very little beatmatching to be done. All you need to do is a little pitchbending to get it lined up.