Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

shyguise posted:

Do you guys have any tricks for on the fly turntable isolation? i was playing at a bar and my needle was doing backflips due to a combination of lovely booth construction and people dancing too hard/close.

Couple things. The best option is the Freefloat:

http://www.planetdj.com/i--FREEFLOAT%20ORANGE

The thing can pretty much eliminate all rumble/vibration skipping, and is surprisingly scratch friendly. Couple in your bag and you will be set. Otherwise, the Vibrapod's work wonders.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/vibrapodse.html

They won't handle quite as much as the Freefloat, but they do handle a lot, and are more scratch-friendly. You can throw them under the feet of your turntable and they work wonders (and are nice and compact for setup/tear down).

Finally, even though it pains me to say it, get a pair of emergency record-eating needles that you can weigh the hell down. I always carry some good needles with me, as well as some Stanton 400v3's. They are a version of the 500 with a shorter cantilever and a much much higher weight tolerance/heavier suspension. You can throw a quarter on them and, while they will eat your records, they won't skip as much from bumps. As an added bonus, they are rugged as hell and loud.

(Full disclosure, I work in product design for Stanton, but I did carry these in my bag for that very reason since they were called the Npac years ago, so please don't think I am trying to shill our product!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Mescal posted:

Thanks for the response. I want to continue to play my favorite tracks and find my community of people who like the same stuff I do. I'm not interested in being cutting edge and playing the hot new thing that came out yesterday, even though I don't like it.

I said that was the owner in my post, but I don't think he was. Thinking about it today, I think he was just a guy who was hanging out at the bar. He just had that demeanor about him like he worked there, even though I hadn't seen him before then. I bet the girls he was hanging out with asked him to request snoop dogg.

I think you've misunderstood if you think I'm a pretentious DJ. I'm a beginner to playing at bars/clubs, not a sneering vet. But I do it because I have fun playing the songs I love, which aren't all radio. I understand the balance of pleasing the crowd and the booking guy as well as yourself. But if I start spinning top 40, I'm gonna start to hate playing records.

Or you can just do what I do and be an old school DJ. Somehow people always understand the words "If it exists past 1996 I don't have it", and the people still dance non-stop because nothing sounds dated if it is all dated.

Then again, unless you have the venue for it, it may not be the best bet...

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Would there be a downside for me ordering an S4 from a US ebay seller (who appears to be a proper shop anyway).

There are a couple selling for $900, when they're over £700 new here...

No support since warranty is done by territory.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki
So, the goon DJ machine I managed/worked on, the Stanton SCS.4DJ just got released, and I (or my tattooed arms) was in a commercial we shot for the unit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxDTLtFoYUs

We filmed the set live from a million different angles and used one run through for the audio track, so it is kind of cool to have a performance up somewhere. Anyway, Best Buy's all over the USA have it in stock now-try it out and let me know what you think!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

qirex posted:

Does the .m4a support include Apple Lossless?

For now, no. Heavy decoding involved. Never say never. :)

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Firaga posted:

Check out Ean Golden from DJ Tech Tools.
He helped design the S4 and I guess is the "father" of controllerism. He even made an hour long instructional dvd that explains the S4 in and out.

Dude is in no way the father of controllerism. Cats like Moldover were doing it for years before. As for the S4, it takes a lot of people to design a product. I don't think I am bugged by him saying he designed it (he doesn't overtly state it), but he never corrects anyone either, which is in bad form when you look at the sheer amount of talent at NI who helped make it happen.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Firaga posted:

I'm not sure the history of controllerism, just going by what I've read. And I didn't mean to say he was the only one to design the S4, he just helped make it. He did design the custom mapping on the VCI-100 which has a lot of the same features as the S4.

Haha, sorry if it came off as sniping at you. I can't take away from what the guy did-he turned the VCI-100 around from a controller that tanked to a product that sold bucketloads. As for the mapping features making it though, the only things that really made it were the jog fx things, and there were other cats doing it to.

I think it comes down to that, really, anyone who takes total credit for a product needs to check themselves. Product development is a large machine, and when you are at his level (re:outside the company), there is only so much cred you can claim before it becomes a farce. There are exceptions (he did have the original Dicer idea), but even then, he didn't make it happen, and has never given cred to anyone else but himself.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

The Dark Wind posted:

I'd just like to see more MIDI compatibility with Itch in general. I feel like once that happens it's gonna be a much bigger threat to Traktor than in its current state. I don't mind using the keyboard, but it'd definitely be nice to be able to use my LPD8 and a bunch of other stuff in conjunction with Itch.

With Bomes you can do a re-map to keystrokes. :)

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

vanilla slimfast posted:

It's a beast of a mixer. Really not much different of a feel than an 800/900 other than all the fancy touchscreen effects and such that I didn't use anyways.

It is a DJM900 with a drink coaster in the middle. In all seriousness though, it just feels crowded and not performance friendly compared to the 800/900. I love using the 800. The 2000 though, it feels like a mixer that just gets in your way.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

oredun posted:

the 42 and 22 have some SERIOUS reliability problems. i see posts about them all over the internet and my partner is on his 4th one and its torn up now too. The longest one of his lasted is 2 months!!

I can totally see quality improving as production goes on, but right now, i give them a "stay the gently caress away" rating, even though for the price they are the finest mixers money can buy IMO. the xone 22 is seriously the perfect dj mixer, great eqs, great metering, great CF, great filter, XLR outs, efx loop, just overall awesome, EXCEPT they break all the time.

Funny thing about the Xone22: the CF is a crap CCA circuit, meaning the CF will bleed quick. The hilarious thing about it is that the 22 has a VCA controlled filter, and if you take a look on the circuit board they could easily tap the VCA on the VCF Filter for the crossfader and get good curve plus long life.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Depends if you're using sample decks and FX.

Very true. I can run Traktor 2 with 2 decks and FX just fine on a Macbook 2.1ghz Core 2 Duo with 4gb of ram, but to get low latency/sample decks/tons of FX at once, really, you need something decent. There are some great deals on last gen Intel i5 processor laptops, I would seriously consider your options there.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

oredun posted:

Use what the other dudes are saying, and echo out is a great effect for music like that.

Or a back spin.

If you actually could pull off a backspin on the S4. Seriously, it doesn't work, which is just strange as it works on all other NI-approved HID devices (Pioneer, etc).

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

vanilla slimfast posted:

Speaking of Traktor, I got this email this morning. Looks like they finally got some of the big complaints with sample decks sorted out

What they forget to mention is that it also removes sample deck scratching.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Irish Thunder posted:

It sounds like people love them. It seems somewhat steep for $200 but I think I'm going to pull the trigger when they are back in stock. What mappings do you have it set to?

The MIDI Fighter is honestly a cool piece that you pay for to have the exclusivity above all else. At the end of the day it is a utility controller. You can do anything on other controllers that you can with it, because the magic is in the mappings. For the money, you could get 60% to the cost of a Mashine Mikro, and have the same amount of buttons along with knobs and screen feedback. I will say however that NOTHING feels as nice as the buttons on a MIDI Fighter.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Cowboy. posted:

Whats the deal thread, why haven't we been sperging out about new stuff coming out lately?

Vestax is releasing a 4-deck controller, unsurprisingly the VCI-400:
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/vestax-vci-400-exclusive-video-and-photos/

Allen and Heath are releasing a new mixer the DB2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1804

And a controller the K2
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1805

and Pioneer have a new midi-controller the DDJ-Ergo (looks space-age as gently caress):
http://www.skratchworx.com/newspage.php4?fn_mode=comments&fn_id=1799

Plus there' also some new kid on the block in terms of software titled "The One," which is pretty vague on who's behind it (My feeling is Stanton based on the logo, but I have no idea. Perhaps our resident rep can confirm or deny?)
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/09/30/new-modular-dj-software-the-one/

I mean, none of this gets me all that excited (more or less more of the same), but hey, new stuff.

We had nothing to do with "The One". I've already tried reaching out to them though, as I REALLY want to do some mappings with the product. It is honestly a killer piece from the looks of it. Anyway, the EKS people seem to be behind it....

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Im surprised by the lack of mocking of Serato DJ Intro in this thread

Thing is, it is dope. Think about it- it is basically Traktor Duo minus custom mappings for free, and shares a library with SSL.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Because their current bread and butter that makes them money, ssl, is a massive piece of poo poo. It's pretty telling when VSL is so terrible (they havent updated since April 2010) that people flee to a 3rd party plug in. Seems they've abandoned the bridge too (hasn't been updated since July 2010). All they've done is let SSL declne into a poo poo state, and it doesn't even work on lion.

I've given up on the disaster that is SSL and have switched toi TSP2, which actually works.

How is SSL a piece of poo poo? It is a compelling program that does exactly what it says it does, offer tight timecode control of music. It has really cool macro FX functions that are easy to map, unlike the pain in the rear end that is the controller manager. It works with Lion, it just doesn't like hot plugging (I know, I have used it). VSL, yea, you have a point, but how can you update the Bridge when Ableton has offered no substantial updates to open up to? As for declining, sometimes you have to drop back and work on your app behind the scenes instead of releasing updates that may add some features but also break things (like NI did with Traktor 2.02/2.03, which severely broke MIDI platter control on a ton of controllers).

I'm a Traktor user through and through (from Final Scratch 1.1 which was Traktor-based all the way to TSP2), but SSL is a great application. There is a lot that I wish that Traktor did more like SSL, like offer better customization of waveform layouts and have a controller manager that wasn't so painful to use that I had to spend money on a 3rd party mapping application.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Nindoze posted:

thanks for the advice earlier fellas, got the stanton str8150 and loving it. Now i'm after a basic mixer primarily for scratch purposes. Got my eye on a stanton m212
https://www.storedj.com.au/attachments/Product/1499/STN-M212.jpg?ts=1286837846

Any other good options for a cheap basic type mixer that will do for scratching?

Hey, I'm actually a product manager at Stanton, so I guess take that as a good or bad thing.

The M212 is a cool mixer, but we replaced it with the M.203 pretty recently. The M.203 has a much better EQ (3 band, full kills), is better built, and has a little bit better "scratch" curve setting. That said, I would also take a look at the M.207. It has curve on all 3 channels, great EQ, and the FX processor is really dope with touch-sensitive control. Anyway, reason I suggest it is that the M.203 was made to be the best starter mixer you could get, while the m.207 was made to be a mixer that would last you for a long time. It is a better match for your 150's, which will pretty much take a bomb blast.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Jonny 290 posted:

I've had a lot of fun on a buddy's Ms. Pinky setup and want to build my own up now that I have a few hundo to throw into it. I intend to expand into a live PA/looping type thing so I figure the spergery built into this platform will dovetail.

I sadly am slumming it with STR-80's but 1200's are a comfort thing for me, not a necessity, i can mix fine on stantons. So decks are sorted. I have piles of Macbooks sitting on standby.

Suggestions for a 4 channel i/o box? Old Serato box perhaps? I can spit line out from the turntables but would strongly prefer a Real Interface With Phono Ins so I can take it on the road. My home recording poo poo is sorted so this is all it'd be used for.

Depends on if you want to use Serato or not. If you want to use Ms. Pinky, this is honestly the best way to go:

http://www.mixware.net/product_detail.php?product=EX-AI-EB44

It is $99. You can't get anything for that kind of money that approaches this for features and quality. An SL1 would give you Serato, but the SL1 hates new Intel Core i-series processors, so you will have to throw it away when you upgrade.

Otherwise, if you want a complete set, take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/MIX-VIBES-CROSSPACK-Mixvibes-Package/dp/B002G2090Q

While not the most feature packed, for 2 deck mixing Cross is way solid. As well, it runs on even a low-spec machine very well at even low latency settings, and version 1.6 has the best library management you will find out there, period.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

keevo posted:

I've seen the American Audio QD5Mk201 mixer recommended quite a bit, especially for beginner scratchers. It's pricier when compared to the M212, but cheaper compared to other scratch mixers.

QD5mkII was a great mixer (it is discontinued now though, replaced by the DV2), but I'm not sure it would be readily available in Australia. That said, the fader on it was dope.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

keevo posted:

Oh poo poo. I didn't know it was discontinued. What about getting a cheap, used, durable mixer and then install an Innofader in it?

It got replaced by the DV2-it is literally the same mixer, save for a built-in USB interface. I really don't like the paint job, but the mixer itself is still really fresh for the $$. The price is $250usd, not sure about distro in Australia. We have really good distro in Australia, so it might end up being the same $$ overall.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Koesj posted:

Yeah a Mixtrack Pro might be a clean and simple solution for you then although it costs about the same as a vanilla Mixtrack+A2DJ.

I'm also not going to stop pointing out the fact that the ~$600 Kontrol S2 comes with the full version of Traktor Pro 2 (MSRP $200) and an Audio 6 quality soundcard inside (dedicated booth output and the likes). Not sure what kind of DJing experience you've got right now but IMO: you can't go wrong with Traktor (or Serato for that matter) and it's def. a better quality controller.

Really want to rant here, but I won't.....much. The S2/S4 aren't a better quality controller. Honestly, you get HID, but really, the quality is about the same. The industrial design is better, but come on. The BOM cost isn't that far off between the Mixtrack Pro and the S2, and the S2 has capacitive jog wheels, which, unlike the S2/S4 wheels, won't break because the switch dies over time.

If you buy a controller between $300 and $600, you are paying for features and bundled software you want. Don't think for a second though that you are paying for better quality between them. Choose based on what feels better for you. Personally, I would get the new N4, it smokes the S2 at less $$ in features and jog wheel quality.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Splinter posted:

I've used both an S4 an a MixTrack Pro, and I thought the MixTrack both looked and felt much cheaper than the S4. The MixTrack will work as advertised, but I don't think it's fair to say its quality is on par with an S2/S4.

Same alpha faders. Same alpha pots. Jog wheels that use capacitance instead of a switch. The S2/S4 have an air of quality due to fit and finish, but that is it. I'm not talking out of my rear end, as it is my job to know these things, nor am I saying that the S2/S4 are low quality (I'm not). I am however saying that, internally, they aren't far off....

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Koesj posted:

I guess I was under the wrong impression then and either NI is skimping on professional build quality or Numark is putting out products for a really really low price.

How would you compare them with Vestax' controllers?

It is kind of neither-the market determines what the consumer will pay for a product from someone. As well, the S4/S2 come with full versions of Traktor 2, which raises the perceived value. The cost of the finish of the NI pieces is higher, but internally it is about equal.

As for Vestax, they make good stuff, but they also make some really really strange build decisions that I still have yet to understand. One that instantly springs to mind is the VCI-600. It has only half the pots nutted to the chassis. Why? Don't know, but that is how they roll.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Wikipedia Brown posted:

When you say switch, do you mean a pressure switch?

Yes. There are two ways that we do "touch" sensitivity for static jog wheels- capacitive and pressure sensitive. Capacitive is harder to get right without having a field above your jog wheels that you can stop the platter with by hovering your hand, but it is not something that will fail, ever. Pressure sensitive is basically a switch that sits in the middle of a foam pad with a plastic piece over. Nice thing is that it is not effected by ambient static. Bad thing is, it will wear out. Not if, when. The world is filled with broken Pioneer CDJ's that demonstrate this, and they actually spent a lot making a pretty rugged version.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

phractured posted:

I'm getting an S4 once my college applications are done. I'm so pumped. I just hope my computer will be able to handle everything (black macbook, 4 years old, runs like poo poo sometimes).

It actually might, oddly enough. Traktor 2.1 finally has dual core support, so it has become a little bit more efficient. Just upgrade to the max amount of ram your laptop can support (4gb), as it will help with the amount of audio that Traktor can cache at any given point.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

JamesKPolk posted:

Since that statement, Panasonic has brought them back because of demand

No, they have not. Period. I really wish this would die. We can't keep our turntables in stock because dealers call Panasonic and beg, but get told the same thing-"We don't make them.". Unless Panasonic has been lying to everyone (name a chain) and they have this magic batch in stock, yes they are dead, and the last units rolled off the line in summer 2010.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

I can understand a decision to reallocate development resources towards other products, but why would they halt production of a ubiquitous device? It's like a guaranteed revenue stream, why drop it?

(I guess everyone was asking this exact question last year, sorry I'm late.)

It isn't a good revenue stream for them anymore. They have massive material and tooling costs (total product of the 70's, built to hell), and a market that doesn't need to buy new if they want them, or even buy turntables if they DJ. They have not been making "good" money in years, and they were projecting way less in the future. As well, you might think that the thousands we as DJ's purchased per year was decent, but when you look at the numbers the rest of their products pull in, the 1200's were pennies.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Old Man Pants posted:

Ugh, I wish I could start buying vinyl again. Thing is nowadays if you want to play vinyl somewhere, you have to bring your own decks. I usually play 7-8 hour sets at my current residency so a laptop is the only way to go for me.

I really wish NI would just up the loving game and make an all in one unit like stanton did just with a laptop sized screen and running traktor pro. Even if it was 2 grand, I'd be first in line to buy it.

I'd buy the stanton one, but it really looks too toyish for my taste, and that little rear end screen is kinda lame. If a friend had one I could borrow for a few weeks to see how I liked it, I might make the jump, but as-is, I dont have the money to drop on something I dont know will perform well.

I am the product manager for the SCS.4DJ, and I like to think it performs pretty well. Seriously though, if you have any questions ask, I helped make it.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Chitin posted:

Speaking of vinyl, I just got a sick deal on a pair of Numark TT-1s. Not Technics, I know, but I'm looking forward to learning to spin vinyl instead of being a purely digital DJ.

Now I just need some vinyl.

Get Traktor Scratch/Serato, best of both worlds. Also, the TT-1's were a dope turntable for the day, congrats!

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

Bought an NI Audio 2, which brought the latency down to 4.7 ms, traktor says. Feels pretty good. Above what point is considered 'unacceptable', 10 ms? 20 ms?

Latency is tricky to define as "acceptable" or "unacceptable". You deal with input latency, output latency, and processing latency, which is increased with DVS use. 10ms is about where you can't feel it, 20ms can start to feel laggy, and so on. This is with a controller though, with DVS then you are dealing with decoding as well so that adds another 7ms on top of 3-5ms of processing latency.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Styliferous posted:

While we're (somewhat) on the subject of turntables, I'm trying to buy a pair of decks to augment my current equipment (Traktor Pro 2, Kontrol X1), and I'm wondering how much I should spurge on turntables. Currently I'm looking at both the Numark TTX or the Stanton STR8-80s. Anybody either have a pair of these, or have experience with them? I'm only hoping to pay ~$500 for the two, but if the TTX is far superior to the Stantons I can just save up for longer no biggie.

The Str8-80 was our budget turntable, the TTX is Numark's flaghip. Thing to keep in mind though is that the Numark motor tends to burn out. A lot. Even with their new venting.

For $500 you can typically get a pair of 1200's, and I've seen the Str8-100 (our old flagship) go for sub-$300 on Craigslist.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

fordan posted:

Hmm. Not true in my area, at least. I was able to get a pair of 1200's for $800, but that was an anomalous price, most of them have been starting at $900/pair and upwards.

Where are you at? In LA at least they go for about $500 a pair.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Old Man Pants posted:

Lots of questions incoming.

Well....

-Tell me about its faults/How long does it take to analyze/write each file? (size based of course, WAV files are more than mp3 files)
*It takes 17% of a song's length to analyze a song if you are not touching the unit, and it can slow down the system if you are playing and analyzing (screen switching slows down, etc). You also don't get looping off tracks that have not been analyzed yet. We do have an offline PC analyzer tool QuickGrid (windows beta now, full roll out and OSX version soon) that can analyze a song every few seconds, and is multi-threaded for extra speed. That said, if you want to analyze on the unit, that is the big fault.

-Are the ports hot swappable? Can I have a friend come by and say hey I wanna play some tunes too, lemme plug in? How do you choose between drives/ports?
*Yes, you can hot-swap. If you plug in a drive you do get an aggregated song list, so if your friend has a drive you would need to search for his songs or use playlists on the drive. We are working on something cool though which will offer more drill down.

-How would you rate its durability/build quality compared to something like the S4?
*Honestly, about comparable. The pitch faders on the S4 are a little bit more rugged, but they use a push-button pressure sensitivity control on their jog wheels which is a failure point (so it is a wash). They have some more polish to their package, but materials are about the same. We use many of the same pots/faders/etc. Plus, we have all of our pots nutted to the chassis.

-Is it something guitar center has on display that I can go and try out?
*Some have them, otherwise Best Buy has rigs set up in their music stores as well.

-How long have you continuously used one for a dj set?
*Live or in office? I've done a few 4 hour sets live with it, but during beta cycles I've done in the upwards of 12 hours (with bathroom breaks where I left the unit looping for stress testing).

-Ever had any unexplained glitches or freezes?
*None that we didn't solve in beta, or in our latest software update. There was one quirk where we found a glitch with auto-dj and pitch takeover. That was solved in the latest software update (1.41, out for a few months now).

-How long does it take to start up after a problem if so?
*About a minute. Expect it to drop though.

-How large are the files it makes for each track compared to the size of the audio file?
*Depends on a number of factors. Couldn't tell you, save for that the files range from a few KB to 500k.

-How does it do with gridding non edm files such as hip hop dnb or dubstep?(Traktor cant even get this right a lot of the time)
*We typically get the BPM right (save for half/double time), but can see the grid be off. We added a grid shift though to the last version of the software so that can be corrected. Typically it can fall off more toward the end of a track that is DNB/Hip Hop (long breakdowns that don't fall on a grid), but not that bad. Oddly enough it actually does pretty well with Dub Step.

-What would you say are the biggest pros/cons to using this over a full traktor pro setup?(Laptop, sound card, multiple controllers)
*Pros: No laptop. I can set up and start DJing in a minute, VS rather painful setup time with my other rig (Traktor Pro/Turntables/SCS3/Maschine), or even faster than my S4 rig. I find myself vibing with the crowd more because I don't spend my time looking at my laptop. It isn't modal, everything is quick and one to one. I can set up in the most stupid tiny spaces.
Cons:Can't customize your layout. You have to switch between screens VS having something on one screen, which can make things seem a little slow at times because you aren't having to switch on a Traktor rig. Can't add external control. Can't have a monster screen.

-Any plans for updated firmware to add more efx/midi control/mapping in/other features?
*We have had one update which added a manual mode to the filter and the ability to add on-screen mapping text for the MIDI mode that it already has. We are working on some really cool updates right now. Can't speak on them yet, but yea, they are really cool.

-Can you cue both decks at once? (I mix entirely in my headphones so this is important)
*Yup, you can cue both decks and fade between them and the master signal.

-How large of a HD will this accept? (any FAT32 etc requirements?)
*No size limit, though we have a cap of 20,000 songs for your collection. This is global, not per drive. We do Fat32/NTFS/HFS+ (Non-Journaled only). NTFS is the best we have found, if only because it is less susceptible to database corruption if you are the kind of guy who never safely does a proper shut down or ejects your drive properly.

-What are the space dimensions in the underneath storage compartment? (Will I be able to keep a full on portable HD in here with all my music or is it jump/flash drives only?)
*Don't remember the dims off the top of my head, but I have my Toshiba 500gb drive and a thumb drive in the bottom bay currently....

-Why am I already seeing discounted/refurbished versions for sale?
*Don't know, though I have not seen any issues that would be flagged. I'm in development/engineering, not sales. That said, I would have my head handed to me if there were some big issues popping up....

I'm hoping that helps. There is this perception about Stanton that we are a budget company or whatever, and yes, we do mid-range products. That said, we do them at a much higher quality than what a lot of other companies do their mid-range at, and we actually care about what we do. Hopefully that comes off in my answers. And yes, I do gig with it-it has become my live rig for places where I am expected to bring my own gear, or clubs where I don't like the gear they have.

Any other questions, just ask.

Professorbx fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Nov 7, 2011

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Old Man Pants posted:

No poo poo. That was an awesome post and all the info I needed to push me onto one of these. I'll be picking one up come end of year, if not sooner.

Thank you for all the kind words!! Like I said, SCS.4DJ represents a lot of things for us, and we worked our butts off to make it a good product, and I personally get a kick out of being able to talk to people about it. So, like I said, any time anyone has any questions, just ask.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

Styliferous posted:

Personally, I break my tracks down by genre, then artist. I've pretty much always done things on the fly, so maybe my set up just works from practice? I run Traktor Scratch Pro 2 on a X1, and Friday was the first time I ever planned a set in advance (only by where they'd sound best for the pace of the mix though, don't kill me guys :shobon: )

Speaking of Friday, I really need to break out from these all ages shows, I opened the night at 6 (curfew for teens meant the show ended at 10) and people were too busy standing in the hallway to enter the main room, so I literally played music for myself until half-way through the set. At least the place has an amazing system vOv

Playlists upon playlists. Genre, "Fits Together Nice" groups, genre/year groupings, genre/year/underground or genre/year/mainstream......

Really, whatever helps is good. You can't have too many playlists.

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

epswing posted:

And what do you use to organize these playlists?

Traktor for my PC sets, Itunes for SCS4. Pretty simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorbx
Jan 27, 2005
Wicki Wicki

mstrkrft posted:

I believe the big dealbreaker I've heard is that there is no filter effect knob. Other than obvious changes, which specifically deal with what you want (4 decks vs 2, etc).

The filter is on a shift layer with the gain knobs-I don't know why this is a big deal to people. The thing that irritates me is the lack of loop recorder. That was the only one I was actually missing.