Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

vanilla slimfast posted:

If I was starting from scratch today I'd go for the high res 15" MBP, personally

Traktor works fine at 1440x900 as well (I have a first gen unibody), it'd just be nice to have a bit more real estate

I went with the new high res 15" MBP and it is perfect for traktor and maschine. The only issue is that Traktor's GUI does not render in full screen if you use spaces.

Every week or so I find myself disassembling my neatly cabled hardware and dragging it piece by piece to another little party leaving my desk a mess when I return. I've had enough and I am looking for flight case suggestions. Do they sell cases where the items are meant to operate in place? If so how does that work with power adapters and cables? Right now my equipment consist of a macbook, S4, Maschine, and a M-audio 8x8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
I just finished modifying my case and I ended up with more extra room than I had anticipated. I am thinking about filling the empty slot with a midi controller to load effect presets. The controller needs to be around the same size and orientation as the X1 but no larger than 5x13". I only need around 12 buttons. 4 for each FX panel and around 8 for the presets. Anyone have any suggestions?

Here is a photo to get an idea what I have to work with:

edit: I use the maschine for samples. It takes a lot more prep but it gives me the ability to turn my two sample decks into track decks and have a lot more samples on hand.

The s4 controls decks A+B and FX1+2 while the X1 does C+D and FX 3+4. Having dedicated controls just makes life easier.

tehk fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 25, 2011

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm working towards getting that exact same setup. A few questions. What's the sound card for? Doesn't the S4 have it's own soundcard? Also, do you think you could possibly run through how you built this? I'm wondering what case you used so I could possibly get a similar sized one.

I use the M-Audio 8x8 and s4 as a aggregate audio device. It allows me to do internal audio routing and it is nice to have tons of flexibility on hand.

The case is the black label glide style Odyssey ns7 case. I removed the keyboard tray and placed my hard drive, powered USB hub, and audio interface where it was. I used spare foam to secure the s4 and x1 so they stay still during transit. Finally I drilled holes for phono couplers on the back so I don't have to lift my s4 to attach cables. I might do the same for power if I can get ahold of a powercon panel port.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

TheWevel posted:

It appears that Traktor 2 is available for download now. I'll probably upgrade to it in a few weeks...apparently the servers are hammered at the moment.

Also if S4 users try and use their voucher it stops you at checkout with something like "Product is restricted to certain user groups" but the email claims it is currently available for download. Perhaps they were sending out the vouchers a day early so that they are not interrupted by the retail downloads hammering the server.

I ended up ordering a midi fighter to fill the space in my case. Now I am thinking of using it for beat juggling and using the s4/x1's cue buttons for binding fx presets.