Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Yeah he was a professional and he held titles in tiny little organisations but he never made the big time or fought anyone of note.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tate won a title in a kickboxing org whose name I forget but it is the latest org by the guy who started It's Showtime. It's not super high profile but it's at least flown on my radar.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is there a reason liver shots seem so much worse in MMA than boxing? It's anecdotal, but I've watched a hell of a lot more boxing than MMA, and see way more people dropping to liver shots in MMA.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Is there a reason liver shots seem so much worse in MMA than boxing? It's anecdotal, but I've watched a hell of a lot more boxing than MMA, and see way more people dropping to liver shots in MMA.

I think a boxing glove is just way bigger than like, the average liver, so maybe the impact would be dispersed throughout a wider area? Seems logical but I'm not sure.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Torquemada posted:

The smaller glove makes a difference but consider that there are legs and knees involved in MMA, and many of the liver shots come from those as well, or as a punch that lands on someone who has already eaten some body kicks. Also the smaller gloves make a difference defensively by making it harder to cover the body and face at the same time. Then on top of that, to properly cover your liver, you need to crunch up in a way that essentially makes you a sitting duck for being clinched and wrestled.

The other factor is that MMA fighters are worse at striking on average, so sometimes there's a much wider gap in striking skill in a given matchup, and so when a more rudimentary striker who is used to dealing with opponents who mostly head hunt actually faces down a more advanced striker, they'll often be caught unawares.

Mind that you'll see more liver shot finishes in an Inoue highlight reel than in any MMA highlight reel other than maybe Bas Rutten's.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dober Vs Alves popped up on my Insta stories is why I ask. Alves didn't look totally clueless, but he dropped like a sack of spuds.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CommonShore posted:

Mind that you'll see more liver shot finishes in an Inoue highlight reel than in any MMA highlight reel other than maybe Bas Rutten's.

"And that's when I decided to break his liver"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Bas Rutten vs Liver King's Breakfast, who wins

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Torquemada posted:

Dober Vs Alves popped up on my Insta stories is why I ask. Alves didn't look totally clueless, but he dropped like a sack of spuds.

this is 100% conjecture but because you have to watch out for so many more things in MMA, and defense is so much more primitive, i think MMA fighters are much more likely to be hit mid breath or without bracing. i think that's what happened in dober vs. alves.

95% of the body shot finishes seem to follow the same general pattern - the guy on the defensive tries to move out of range, their back hits the cage, they get murdered while protecting their head and not paying attention to their body.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Torquemada posted:

That bout is a perfect example of what I'm saying actually. Rafael Alves can handle himself on his feet and he certainly can crack, but he's primarily a BJJ guy and his striking style is more or less cover and punch back. He can hit hard, but in a pure striking contest, without the threat of wrestling or submission, he'd not stand a chance. Within a pure striking sense he's essentially a brawler, and lots of the guys who brawl in MMA do it in a dutch drills pattern of throw, put on the earmuffs, then throw back, while others often reach for the hands to try to tie up.

Dober is primarily a striker and he has won actual kickboxing/muay thai bouts and has a more deliberate technical approach, even if that approach is pretty hard-headed and involves creating crazy exchanges in the pocket. Dober could drive a truck through the openings that Alves presents in his guard (just as Alves could drive a truck through the holes in Dober's grappling game). So Dober gives him a little bit of pressure and changes the levels of his strike a few times before driving a left to the body while Alves tries to push away, and that's it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Jesus, it's been a whole year since there has been a question on this thread.

Anyway, you may have heard that Endeavor, UFC's host company, is pretty close to buying WWE. I've been out of the MMA loop for a few years, but I am intrigued by this deal. My questions are:

1) How have the last two years of ownership fared for the UFC under Endeavor ownership versus, say, Zuffa?

2) How do you see this deal shaping out, in relation to the two companies? Do you think they will be run separately, or will I see clips on twitter of Jon Jones running in and costing Brock Lesnar a match?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Okuteru posted:

Anyway, you may have heard that Endeavor, UFC's host company, is pretty close to buying WWE. I've been out of the MMA loop for a few years, but I am intrigued by this deal. My questions are:

1) How have the last two years of ownership fared for the UFC under Endeavor ownership versus, say, Zuffa?

2) How do you see this deal shaping out, in relation to the two companies? Do you think they will be run separately, or will I see clips on twitter of Jon Jones running in and costing Brock Lesnar a match?

1) UFC has mostly stayed consistent in terms of content and the like. There are mostly changes that have been aimed at ensuring Endeavor gets their money back in the form of cost cutting (aka paying fighters less). It's also been a big deal for UFC to put on like 40+ shows per year as part of that effort to make money back as part of the deal they signed with ESPN.

UFC also is mostly more open to being hostile towards the fighters who speak up or criticize the pay, the structure, etc. of the UFC as opposed to back in the Zuffa days where they were at least trying to publicly play ball with most of their talent.

This has all led to the product feeling very watered down (see: any UFC Fight Night card in the Apex) and more or less makes the big events less special to watch from my view.

2) The deal will probably not affect the UFC a huge amount. It's likely for Vince to be put in charge of the new parent company for UFC & WWE to work on broadcasting deals and the like. UFC & WWE also have the same approach to talent acquisition, don't pay for good guys, find guys who are willing to sign low paying contracts and only use them as to cut costs for the company.

Additionally, you'll probably see more cross over appearances as in people showing up to events to help promote each others brands and TV shows/events.

I'm also gonna assume that over the next few years they're gonna phase USADA out of the UFC because that's a big money sink and the UFC have prior to all of this have not been shy to pretend they don't need USADA.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Mekchu posted:

I'm also gonna assume that over the next few years they're gonna phase USADA out of the UFC because that's a big money sink and the UFC have prior to all of this have not been shy to pretend they don't need USADA.

Not to mention the inconvenient dropouts/mysteriously bad "weight cuts" caused by USADA violations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Okuteru posted:

1) the cards are getting more and more mediocre because they've become content providers for ESPN and make some absurd amount of money from doing X cards per year for them. because the company was bought at what seems like a hugely inflated price, they have to try and squeeze the UFC for all it's worth to make the interest payments / make a profit. this has lead to the creation of dana white's contender series as a way to hire fighters on long contracts for no money. it's also a way for them to filter out anyone whose style they don't like. it's also a way for dana to cosplay as a creepy patriarch of the UFC and father to all its fighters to fill a hole left by some profound insecurity.

most good fighters do not come from the contender series, they come from outside organisations. there's a few but overall it's a failure in every sense but the short-term financial.

this is not to say that the fights are getting worse. it's actually the opposite, the technical development of high level MMA has hit new peaks in the good divisions (flyweight through lightweight, and the top half of welterweight except for all the old guys who suck) but that's because mma fighters are too in love with the sport, and bound up in the psychotic confidence the sport requires (i.e. if you argue for collecting bargaining power you're admitting you're not good enough to become a mcgregor type star).

but the most physically gifted heavyweight champion in the history of the sport asked to have his own sponsors instead of getting paid peanuts to wear the ugly as gently caress UFC sponsored bullshit and they let him go and then called him a cowardly bitch.

2) i think the cards are gonna get worse the more they slide into content provider territory.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 3, 2023

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I've got a rando question about boxing and I hope this is the right spot. Top Rank responded to Covid by creating a "boxing bubble" in Las Vegas at the MGM. I know the "Bubble" began on June 9, 2020, but I'd like to know when it ended.

Does anyone know what fight was the first "live" boxing match back in a regular venue with a regular crowd?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

AARP LARPer posted:

I've got a rando question about boxing and I hope this is the right spot. Top Rank responded to Covid by creating a "boxing bubble" in Las Vegas at the MGM. I know the "Bubble" began on June 9, 2020, but I'd like to know when it ended.

Does anyone know what fight was the first "live" boxing match back in a regular venue with a regular crowd?

You might have a good shot with the boxing thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3881320&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=169

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Thanks!

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Note: I've had about six glasses of scotch and I'm drunk and I'm gonna do a little rambling.

I found a love for wrestling through eyepatch wolfs video about wrestling. It led me to AEW after a touch of NJPW and just following it up with a whole lotta love for Kenny Omega and the Golden Lovers.

I guess what I wanna know is how everyone keeps up with pro wrestling. I followed AEW hard until recently and I've seen a few shows live. I watched CM Punk lose to MJF in Chicago and I saw the seventh ladder match in LA between Penta and The Elite. But I've focused on projects or games or life.

How do you keep up with wrestling when life prevents you? How do you not listen to Battle Cry on repeat? How do I as a semi-new fan not lose the plot?

I feel like I know the answer, which is watch the things! They're coming to a mile away from me and I have tix and I'm super pumped but haven't found time to watch at all.

Fake edit: I HEAR THE BATTLE CRY ARE YOU READY FOR THIS

Edit: I feel like there was a joshi subforum and I'm gonna be so pissed if sober me finds a wrestling-specific subforum

Eat The Rich fucked around with this message at 10:16 on May 12, 2023

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Eat The Rich posted:

Note: I've had about six glasses of scotch and I'm drunk and I'm gonna do a little rambling.

I found a love for wrestling through eyepatch wolfs video about wrestling. It led me to AEW after a touch of NJPW and just following it up with a whole lotta love for Kenny Omega and the Golden Lovers.

I guess what I wanna know is how everyone keeps up with pro wrestling. I followed AEW hard until recently and I've seen a few shows live. I watched CM Punk lose to MJF in Chicago and I saw the seventh ladder match in LA between Penta and The Elite. But I've focused on projects or games or life.

How do you keep up with wrestling when life prevents you? How do you not listen to Battle Cry on repeat? How do I as a semi-new fan not lose the plot?

I feel like I know the answer, which is watch the things! They're coming to a mile away from me and I have tix and I'm super pumped but haven't found time to watch at all.

Edit: I feel like there was a joshi subforum and I'm gonna be so pissed if sober me finds a wrestling-specific subforum

Honestly ask us. We can get you caught up on a lot of things. In regards to watching back stuff there are a ton of sites you can use to watch old streams of episodes, there's also youtube.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

buddy, you're already IN the wrestling (and other combat sports) subforum lol

and i bet anyone would be more than happy to answer your questions or give you a basic rundown of aew happenings (jeff jarrett and a mexican son of a viking) or whatever you'd like to know. pretty sure there's an aew discussion thread on this very page

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Eat The Rich posted:

If you go to the AEW thread and say "hey I haven't watched AEW in awhile, the last thing I saw was the LA show, can anyone catch me up on what's been going on" you'll get a bunch of answers of what has been happening and people's favorite matches since. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4031736

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?
Those weekly GameDay threads will also give you an exhaustive rundown on what happened that week, as well as a preview of what happens next week. It's a great way to get caught up on the current goings on

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Eat The Rich posted:

prof wrestling isn't combat or a sport :lol:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Pro wrestling is also like a daytime soap opera in that you can just kinda turn it on at any point and within a few episodes you'll be caught up on all the storylines/understand what's going on. As said above the threads are also great if you're curious about a specific angle or wrestler.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Whew boy I was drunk last night.

Thanks, guys. That was all really helpful. You'll see me around asking questions once my head stops throbbing

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Eat The Rich posted:

Whew boy I was drunk last night.

Thanks, guys. That was all really helpful. You'll see me around asking questions once my head stops throbbing

It always astounded me hearing stories of wrestlers drinking so heavily back in the day (or current day) and going out and wrestling a match the next day or later in the day. Taking bumps when your hungover must just be agony.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

It always astounded me hearing stories of wrestlers drinking so heavily back in the day (or current day) and going out and wrestling a match the next day or later in the day. Taking bumps when your hungover must just be agony.

It's called cocaine.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

BlindSite posted:

It's called cocaine.

well i know Kevin Nash talks on his podcast about how he and the kliq drank a lot in 90s WWF because they'd fail the wellness policy for smoking pot so I don't think it was coke because that'd fail the policy too.

Like I'm sure they did a lot of coke nonetheless but I imagine "just keep drinking so you don't get hungover" is the more likely answer.

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Kvlt! posted:

I always have a similar thought about musicians. How do you play an instrument all boozed up? I'm not great at guitar but if there's alcohol in my system, I just can't do it at all.

I guess the answer is cocaine here too

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Eat The Rich posted:

I always have a similar thought about musicians. How do you play an instrument all boozed up?

like many things, it has a ballmer peak

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So, I’ve never watched MMA but I found out recently that Rick Hawn is my sons sensei.

I know he’s been retired for a while but was he any good?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Pillowpants posted:

So, I’ve never watched MMA but I found out recently that Rick Hawn is my sons sensei.

He had like 11 fights in Bellator, winning most of them - at that level. Fighting in an org like Bellator and winning even if you're not elite - you're one of the best fighters on the planet.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Yeah, Rick Hawn was in that unfortunate place where he was Great but couldn't crack the ceiling of The Best. Mopped the floor with most of his opponents, was extremely competitive with some equally great folks, but he couldn't get past the world champions or their top contenders. Which is, to be clear, not an insult. Dude was one of the best in Bellator and easily top fifteen in the world during his prime, and that's really, really hard to do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pillowpants posted:

He was a B League welterweight and lightweight who could beat bad UFC lightweights and welterweights. I remember him being kind of boring and Bellator really pushing his Olympic level judo. Probably would have been good enough to hang around UFC undercards for awhile. Seems like the kind of guy Dana would hate after he beat some guy Dana thought would be a star in kind of a nothing fight.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I know he had a match that he lost six months ago but knowing that the dude who was one of the best in world is teaching my son who is about a year in - martial arts is pretty awesome.

Thanks.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pillowpants posted:

If I remember his judo is really good but then he went to MMA where Judo stuff isn't always so easy to translate but he did a good job at it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, Rick Hawn was in that unfortunate place where he was Great but couldn't crack the ceiling of The Best. Mopped the floor with most of his opponents, was extremely competitive with some equally great folks, but he couldn't get past the world champions or their top contenders. Which is, to be clear, not an insult. Dude was one of the best in Bellator and easily top fifteen in the world during his prime, and that's really, really hard to do.

Yeah, any fighter in the big leagues with a winning record is on a totally different level from mere mortals.

I was pretty critical of his striking but he was still hanging in there (better than Ronda Rousey) and frequently making use of his judo in a nogi context.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Long time MMA watcher but I haven't followed the streamer boxing fights. I was wondering how come the betting odds have Nate Diaz as an underdog vs Jake Paul? Anyone actually watched him and is he legit? It looks like he only fought Anderson Silva who was a striker but he is a muay thai guy and was 47, while Nate diaz has some boxing background and is much younger.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ulio posted:

Long time MMA watcher but I haven't followed the streamer boxing fights. I was wondering how come the betting odds have Nate Diaz as an underdog vs Jake Paul? Anyone actually watched him and is he legit? It looks like he only fought Anderson Silva who was a striker but he is a muay thai guy and was 47, while Nate diaz has some boxing background and is much younger.

jake is not only younger and bigger but hes been training professionally as a boxer much more often and consistently and nate diaz has been more or less washed up as a fighter for some years now. nate winning would be an enormous upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Being familiar with the ruleset is key for Jake Paul, who has bad gas but can pace himself well enough to stay out of trouble. He’s had enough fights at this point to know how to score without exerting too much. Diaz’s grinding style doesn’t work as well in boxing because of the breakups of extended clinching.