Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I see from the wikipedia link in the OP that they were the ones that were basically building around Kimbo and he got knocked out by that guy with the pink hair and then the scandal surrounding the rest of it. I think I remember seeing a video of that around the time it happened and remembered Kimbo being the guy from the backyard fight videos. It was pretty shocking to someone like me who didn't know the ins and outs of MMA and how terrible of a fighter Kimbo would be once put up against trained athletes. After how high Kimbo was hyped it seemed pretty crazy.

EliteXC was the epitome of stupid, corrupt, shady organizations. Run by a thief and his mentally retarded painfully white rapper son they basically exploited Kimbo, trying to build their org on his youtube popularity. They fed him a couple of cans and then due to unforeseen circumstances (someone dropped out of a fight, I wanna say Ken Shamrock) they had to put him in against a real fighter who promptly embarassed this poo poo out of him and killed EliteXC. Something we should all be grateful to Seth Petruzzeli for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Save Russian Jews posted:

Pat Barry crosspost

He said high level MMA. I love Pat, but he's not high level by any stretch.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ForbiddenWonder posted:

RE: Vale Tudo

I never hear ya'll talk about it, like at all. Are there any must-watch matches or anything like that?

If you want actual Vale Tudo fights where the only rules are no eye gouging and (sometimes) no groin shots, search for "IVC" and look for fights with Wanderlei Silva and Pedro Rizzo. Hope you like headbutts and soccer kicks.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

To give a non-Fedor example for over a year now Vitor Belfort has been in most rankings as a top ten Middleweight, usually between fourth and sixth. This is retarded for two reasons:

Vitor hasn't fought in about eighteen months.
Vitor hasn't fought at Middleweight.

Don't try and work it out.

Vitor is 2-0 at Middlweight, and did just beat the second best Middleweight of all time, even if it was at catch weight. (and a year and a half ago)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Feb 2, 2011

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Or if MMA appeals to you purely because you're a closeted homosexual watch Gary Goodridge vs The Pedro

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

A Pale Horse posted:

He said high level MMA. I love Pat, but he's not high level by any stretch.

I can't believe I forgot about Pat. I love The Nicest Kickman. I'd say he's as high level as Roger exposure-wise, he's been on a UFC PPV main card hasn't he? Talent-wise I would have to agree.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

projecthalaxy posted:

Are there any real single-style guys left in high-level MMA? I guess Roger Gracie might count, but even he seems to be succumbing to wrestleboxing.

Also, is the oil check the gayest technique in Our Gay Sport?

Jon Fitch is the second best welterweight in the world and all he is is a wrestler, and he's not even that great of a wrestler, mostly he's just bad at losing.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Vitor is 2-0 at Middlweight, and did just beat the second best Middleweight of all time, even if it was at catch weight.

he hasn't fought Anderson yet

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

RobBorer posted:

reserved for boxing

use this gif for your boxing write up

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

fatherdog posted:

If you want actual Vale Tudo fights where the only rules are no eye gouging and (sometimes) no groin shots, search for "IVC" and look for fights with Wanderlei Silva and Pedro Rizzo. Hope you like headbutts and soccer kicks.

thanks, I was just curious where mma came from pre UFC besides shootfighting, judo etc. I hear Vovchanchyn would have been better if he hadn't hosed up his hands doing this sort of thing, right?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

With the rise in popularity of MMA has traditional Boxing taken a major hit in popularity nowadays? How would you compare it to the days of Tyson (just throwing a popular name out there, I know nothing about boxing anymore) and the guys that could command millions for a single fight? Do they still do that level of business for major fights today?

Pimp Cauldron
Aug 3, 2002

A twisted pictoral of phoenix, AZ

ForbiddenWonder posted:

RE: Vale Tudo

I never hear ya'll talk about it, like at all. Are there any must-watch matches or anything like that?

wanderlei's early matches are pretty cool

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

:aaa:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vM3RsyoLuBs

:40 is pretty funny

Chuck is a beast in this, jeez

ForbiddenWonder fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 2, 2011

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

If no one wants to do a post for boxing I'll write one up during work tomorrow.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

With the rise in popularity of MMA has traditional Boxing taken a major hit in popularity nowadays? How would you compare it to the days of Tyson (just throwing a popular name out there, I know nothing about boxing anymore) and the guys that could command millions for a single fight? Do they still do that level of business for major fights today?

A major hit. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, De La Hoya were basically household names. Even Riddick Bowe and Buster Douglas were fairly well known.

Name a Heavyweight Champion now. In fact, name a champion whose name is not Pacquiao.

ForbiddenWonder
Feb 15, 2003

James Toney

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009

ForbiddenWonder posted:

thanks, I was just curious where mma came from pre UFC besides shootfighting, judo etc. I hear Vovchanchyn would have been better if he hadn't hosed up his hands doing this sort of thing, right?

It's true that Vovchanchyn mangled his hands into dust by fighting bare knuckle for so many years, but he was also very small for HW and LHW in addition to his career being in the weird grey area between the generational shift in MMA (meaning the period where fighters really started to begin evolving into the fighters we know today). He did have astronomical KO power though, so it's hard to say how many years we were robbed.

I think we can all agree that the story of the town bell is cool as hell though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Critical posted:

A major hit. Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, De La Hoya were basically household names. Even Riddick Bowe and Buster Douglas were fairly well known.

Name a Heavyweight Champion now. In fact, name a champion whose name is not Pacquiao.

Mayweather? Hatton? I don't know if these guys are actually champs, they are just the only boxers I know of, proving your point.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Isn't that tiny black man who hates MMA a champion of something?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Critical posted:

Is Mayweather still a champion?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

henkman posted:

Isn't that tiny black man who hates MMA a champion of something?

Bob Sapp is hardly "tiny"

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Critical posted:

Name a Heavyweight Champion now.

Vitali Klitscho. And his brother. For any other champion, Andre Ward.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Lol at the MMA people thinking things like belts and who's the 'champion' matter in boxing.

What do you think it is, a well managed sport with a respected governing body?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KungFu Grip posted:

Is Mayweather still a champion?

I don't know if he has a belt any more but belts don't matter in boxing as much. Mayweather is P4P the best though. :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
While in MMA we get to talk about how all championships are meaningless except for the UFC I would like an explanation of what, if any, boxing championships aren't worthless given that there seems to be fifty billion of them for weight classes a pound apart.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Lid posted:

While in MMA we get to talk about how all championships are meaningless except for the UFC I would like an explanation of what, if any, boxing championships aren't worthless given that there seems to be fifty billion of them for weight classes a pound apart.

The IBC Minimumweight title. Because a boxing title for 94 pound presumably adult dudes is important.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

The ring magazine belt is probably the only meaningful one.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

Vitaly Klitscho. And his brother.

And they won't fight each other. Not that the fight would be any loving good, but the point stands.

But 15 years ago the answer would have been immediate. Now the Klitschos have held the titles for gently caress-all years an no one gives a tin poo poo.

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
A lot of boxing's current situation is directly related to their own doing. Corruption, meaningless champions, too many weight classes, fighters ducking competition for years, matchups never materializing (Pac v Mayweather cough cough), etc. etc. are the primary reasons for their decline. The fact that MMA came along and (for the most part at least) uses a operating model that is completely opposite of boxing's didn't help the situation.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Lid posted:

All of them are worthless unless the best guy holds it, pretty much. The fighter makes the belt, nowadays, not vice versa.

Mons Public
Jun 22, 2006

Sometimes I look for Rupees.

KidDynamite posted:

If no one wants to do a post for boxing I'll write one up during work tomorrow.

I PMed The Ninth Layer to see if he wanted to do a write up, mainly because he started the boxing thread. I was going to throw up some stuff tomorrow, but I'm just a casual boxing fan. If you want to do one, go for it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Went ahead and opened a gif thread for MMA and K1 and such.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3386308

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

The IBC Minimumweight title. Because a boxing title for 94 pound presumably adult dudes is important.

Just give each champion a lifetime supply of root-beer and motherfuckers will be cutting weight in no time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Critical posted:

And they won't fight each other. Not that the fight would be any loving good, but the point stands.

Oh gently caress off that fight would be a technical masterpiece. A battle of jabs never to be seen again. I'd be so loving excited if Wlad and Vitali decided to fight.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CobiWann posted:

Thank you for the OP! As someone who's never followed MMA or K-1, it explained a lot, especially which league/federation is which.

This is a nitpick, but I think the term used the most is organization. Org for short.

I know nothing about pro-wrestling, so I might be talking out of turn here, but an MMA fight (not listed in the OP) that really delivers in terms of characters and hype is Dan Henderson x Michael Bisping. Bisping is the cocky Brit who thinks he can outpoint and outmaneuver Henderson, while Hendo is an archetypical :clint: who talks with his hands and makes his 'words' count.

What happens in the fight is just delicious. Try to watch the fight with the prefight build up. Because they're real, MMA fights rarely work out exactly the best way you want them to, but this one definitely did.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Please use the reserved post for a section on Olympic hero, convicted felon, therapeutic testosterone tiny ball having, money laundering, aspiring politician, WCW powerplant graduate, Rowdy Roddy Piper protege and #1 pfp Chael Sonnen, Chael Sonnen

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Mr. Carlisle posted:

it seems traditionally a lot of people like to see the heavies do well. No good heavies? No one watches boxing. It's quite rare to have a person in a lower weight class actually be a massive draw world wide like Manny Paquiao and Floyd Mayweather. I think i'd like to put it like this: If Manny and Floyd don't fight, boxing can't be taken seriously as a sport anymore.

Honestly I think fans of prowrestling would love Pride ERA fights. It's practically pro-wrestling but real.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Oh Em Gee posted:

Honestly I think fans of prowrestling would love Pride ERA fights. It's practically pro-wrestling but real.

it can't hurt that the face of the promotion is a Professional Wrestler

Government
Nov 2, 2004

Oh Em Gee posted:

Pride FC: gently caress the bottom line, up the production values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcXCrQE_pjo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

ForbiddenWonder posted:

Vovchanchyn actually retired because one of his elbows was so hosed up it had to have pins put in it, not his hands.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm not gonna try to compare popularity, but in terms of money, the guys headlining a top card will make millions in boxing and in the UFC. The UFC headliners will make less than the boxing headliners, but the undercard guys in the UFC will typically make significantly more than undercard guys in boxing.