Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!
It also gets harder to stay a dominant champion the lower in weight you go...the consecutive title defense record for UFC Heavyweights is 3, and until recently was 2, while Demetrius Johnson defended the UFC flyweight belt 11 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whereas Wladimir Klitschko, a huge and powerful heavyweight boxer with a conservative fighting style, was a champ for, gosh, like 15 years?

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
A lot of these guys aren't exactly educated or have skills outside of fight mans, so it makes sense guys will keep accepting fights as long as the checks clear.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Not sure where else to ask this but does anyone here watch ONE? I used to watch it on the Bleacher Report Live Youtube channel but they haven't uploaded the events in months so I stopped following it. I went to the Bleacher Report website but it looks like nearly just an RSS feed of tweets and news snippets. I installed their app and it's the same exact content

Where do I watch ONE events? (I'm in the US)

edit: OK, looks like they shut down the B/R Live Youtube channel that I used to watch the ONE events on and migrated everything to the main Bleacher Report channel and that's where they will be now.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Aug 30, 2021

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Unperson_47 posted:

Not sure where else to ask this but does anyone here watch ONE? I used to watch it on the Bleacher Report Live Youtube channel but they haven't uploaded the events in months so I stopped following it. I went to the Bleacher Report website but it looks like nearly just an RSS feed of tweets and news snippets. I installed their app and it's the same exact content

Where do I watch ONE events? (I'm in the US)

edit: OK, looks like they shut down the B/R Live Youtube channel that I used to watch the ONE events on and migrated everything to the main Bleacher Report channel and that's where they will be now.

I just use their app.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I have heard the term "glass jaw" before. Now, while I guess everybody has variable limits, you can theoretically increase your strength or stamina or technique or whatever else you need in a boxing match.

Is there any way to overcome a glass jaw, to toughen up your head so you don't go down immediately to a punch? Or is that just something you either have or don't have?

mewse
May 2, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

I have heard the term "glass jaw" before. Now, while I guess everybody has variable limits, you can theoretically increase your strength or stamina or technique or whatever else you need in a boxing match.

Is there any way to overcome a glass jaw, to toughen up your head so you don't go down immediately to a punch? Or is that just something you either have or don't have?

So the way it's been explained to me is that the KO is usually a result of the top of the jaw moving and slamming into its socket on the opposite side of the head from where the punch was landed.

You can counter that to a certain extent by strengthening your jaw muscles through myriad gimmick devices, but also strengthening the neck can prevent the head from ricocheting around and swirling the brain in its pool of cerebral-spinal fluid. I believe a thick beard can help but probably minor (more cushion, less force transmitted into the jaw).

What fighters can't counter is late career their chin gets "cracked" and they start getting prone to flash KOs, this is sadly probably due to prior brain damage.

This is a shot I believe would've put down a fighter with a weak chin but Ortega fought through it:

https://i.imgur.com/foe1dy6.mp4

So uhh there are some ways fighters can try to improve a "glass jaw" but mostly it's something they have or they don't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah, the variation in chin seems inborn. There are definitely things you can work on, but they don't in aggregate seem as important the base you are born with.
Another factor is your hydration -- cutting water weight is also gonna reduce your intracranial fluid level and let your brain move around more.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Robert Whittaker was talking on a podcast a while back about his time at 170, when he would get rattled or even flash-KOd by shots that at 185, he eats like candy. Just an anecdote, certainly, but it does bear out.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Another factor is your hydration -- cutting water weight is also gonna reduce your intracranial fluid level and let your brain move around more.

Yeah this is the strongest argument against same-day weigh-ins IMO. I don't have an opinion either way but weight cutting is such a bad part of the sport

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

mewse posted:

Yeah this is the strongest argument against same-day weigh-ins IMO. I don't have an opinion either way but weight cutting is such a bad part of the sport

IMO, it's a strong argument for same-day weigh-ins. Fighters cut weight because they feel it will give them an advantage. Same-day weigh-ins will rather quickly prove that the cons now outweigh the pros and act as a strong motivator to move up.

Of course, such a change should also include informing the fighters repeatedly and over several months about the new system and exterting systematic pressure on each individual fighter in order to make them move up before they find themselves dehydrated in the cage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Freudian slippers posted:

IMO, it's a strong argument for same-day weigh-ins. Fighters cut weight because they feel it will give them an advantage. Same-day weigh-ins will rather quickly prove that the cons now outweigh the pros and act as a strong motivator to move up.

Of course, such a change should also include informing the fighters repeatedly and over several months about the new system and exterting systematic pressure on each individual fighter in order to make them move up before they find themselves dehydrated in the cage.

They should be weighed repeatedly in the lead up to the fight. That way you can ensure a dramatic weight cut isn't happening.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Count Roland posted:

They should be weighed repeatedly in the lead up to the fight. That way you can ensure a dramatic weight cut isn't happening.

Yes, absolutely, with a final weigh in on the day of the fight. This would mitigate almost all problems related to weight cuts, but on the other hand would require athletic commissions to put down their donuts and do their jobs for a change and we all know how likely that is to happen. Still, that's the way to do it.

An added bonus, would of course be that we fans would get to see well-hydrated athletes operating at close to 100%, which probably would have been really cool.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is it considered a myth that having big neck and shoulder muscles can help a little?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Is it considered a myth that having big neck and shoulder muscles can help a little?

This dude has seven career losses by KO

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

There is evidence that a stronger neck can better absorb and mitigate a portion of the force from the blow, but having a strong neck does in no way render you immune to a KO.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

just be mark hunt shaped.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do big, bushy beards make it harder to target the chin?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm sure very slightly, but not in a that would make me wonder if it would change the outcome of a fight.
If you can see their mouth, you'll be as well equipped as you need to be to land to the head. Sure, landing right on the jaw could rock them more in one shot, but I don't think most fighters have that in mind tactically -- getting the jaw vs somewhere on the face.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If Cro Cop had grown a Kimbo Beard he would have never gotten KOed because nobody would have been able to find his chin

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It is like how Batman wears a bright yellow emblem on his chest. It is where his armor is strongest

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Because I'm an old idiot who watched UFC back in the day, do they still play the Hype Videos at the arena with Face the Pain or have they finally gotten rid of it?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

algebra testes posted:

Because I'm an old idiot who watched UFC back in the day, do they still play the Hype Videos at the arena with Face the Pain or have they finally gotten rid of it?

They sadly retired Face the Pain back in like 2018, if memory serves. They still do the Baba O'Riley hype videos in-arena, but the intro song now changes between broadcasts.

I am personally sad they stopped using this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v67XN4PRJtA

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure very slightly, but not in a that would make me wonder if it would change the outcome of a fight.
If you can see their mouth, you'll be as well equipped as you need to be to land to the head. Sure, landing right on the jaw could rock them more in one shot, but I don't think most fighters have that in mind tactically -- getting the jaw vs somewhere on the face.

Thanks! That's something I've wondered about for a long time.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Why is john Danaher such a weirdo and does he ever wear normal shirts?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Why is john Danaher such a weirdo and does he ever wear normal shirts?

What are you talking about, here is a perfectly normal picture of John Danaher having dinner with Georges St Pierre

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

I miss his combover and fanny packs

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

He still wears the Fanny packs. They are just complemented by full length leather pea coats and berets now.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

mewse posted:

What are you talking about, here is a perfectly normal picture of John Danaher having dinner with Georges St Pierre

lmao this was the exact pic that got me thinking about it again

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I think hes on the spectrum.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

He wears rash guards all of the time because they are logically the most efficient garment: they pack down to virtually zero volume, they clean easily, and they dry quickly.

I bet you feel like a real dumbass now in the face of Danaher's facts and logic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Maybe this is outside the scope of this thread, but Gordon Ryan is a dickhead and most likely juicing right?
Does the Danaher Death Squad split and Danaher staying with Ryan implicitly say that Danaher is ok with all of that?

I guess I'm disappointed that GSP still associates with them:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXNBTbFrcSd/

Feel free to link me to relevant discussion if it's happened in any of the grappling threads.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
gordon ryan is a penis and gained like 20kg of muscle in about six months once so right on both counts.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

Maybe this is outside the scope of this thread, but Gordon Ryan is a dickhead and most likely juicing right?
Does the Danaher Death Squad split and Danaher staying with Ryan implicitly say that Danaher is ok with all of that?

I guess I'm disappointed that GSP still associates with them:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CXNBTbFrcSd/

Feel free to link me to relevant discussion if it's happened in any of the grappling threads.

I can forgive GSP for still being bros with Danaher and tbh I tend to think that everyone at the highest levels of grappling at juicing to some degree. I hate the Lance armstrong "everyone is doing it so it's ok" so I won't make it but I can see why some guys think its [schaub] super necessary [/schaub] to remain competitive.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I don't think everyone is juicing in the grappling world, but it is very obvious that there are a lot of people that do.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think everyone is juicing in the grappling world, but it is very obvious that there are a lot of people that do.

Send kinda crazy imo to cut someone out because they're juicing. I'd think anyone at the high levels would at least know people that do it. Cheating? Yes I guess but poo poo lots of people do that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There’s some degree of hypocrisy for GSP going after Hendricks so hard on testing if he were, say, benefiting from training camps attended by people who he knew of or looked the other way on doping.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009

GSP repeatedly called for the sport to be cleaned up, and even attempted to pay for neutral testing out of his own pocket. There were not really many top tier camps he could have trained with that would have been 100% clean, in fact probably none. The best he could do was to stay clean and train with the people available to him,.

Edit: Or retire, but placing the onus on Georges here, is not really fair.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I mean, combat sports have been filthy for decades and they still are. The UFC has done quite a bit to clean up their promotion with the USADA testing but there's always going to be the arms race for the testing and doping and there's always going to be athletes who will do whatever it takes to get the edge over their competition.

I'm not going to fault GSP for training with a coach he's known for decades just because another guy at the coaches gym is an rear end in a top hat or a drug cheat. Also don't forget that Gordon Ryan is still what 25? Most of the big spats and rear end in a top hat behaviour happened over the last two years. I can kind of forgive a coach for trying to help a dickhead in his early 20s acting like a dickhead in his early 20s rather than just cutting ties with him completely.

Unless I'm missing something more nefarious than Ryan just poo poo talking the grappling world and slapping other competitors back stage etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 27 days!

BlindSite posted:

Unless I'm missing something more nefarious than Ryan just poo poo talking the grappling world and slapping other competitors back stage etc?

He was saying/posting enough dumb poo poo that people got sick of talking about it in the grappling thread and a new thread had to be created, there's some stuff there. (as well as in the grappling thread dated weeks/months before that thread's creation)