Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if Overeem and Fedor are in the same fed, and Overeem is the champ, why is Fedor ranked higher?

a better question: why isnt werdum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

sticky this, take down the books thread

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

so getting down to brass tacks, what thread tags do you guys need? I think UFC, StrikeForce, and Boxing tags are a given, but what else specifically?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lil tag i whipped up inspired by the fighting tag.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 2, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

a catch-all MMA one i made, didn't know bout the black glove thing, gonna see how i can edit it to look better aesthetically.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

niethan posted:

X kind of illegal...

WELCOME TO PROFESSIONAL WRESTLING~!

please refer to Mass Transit Incident and also New Jack attempting to murder Vic Grimes during a match.

quote:

On March 12, 2000, New Jack (legitimately) suffered brain damage and was temporarily blinded in his right eye, when he and his opponent, Vic Grimes, fell off a balcony, missed the tables that were supposed to absorb the force of their fall and landed on the concrete floor (with Grimes landing on New Jack's head) at Living Dangerously 2000. In a rematch between the two in Xtreme Pro Wrestling (XPW), New Jack threw Grimes from a scaffold, with Grimes plummeting around 40 feet into the ring. The stunt did not work out as planned, as Grimes only landed on one of the twelve tables that were intended to break his fall and ended up dislocating his ankle on the ring rope. In the 2005 documentary Forever Hardcore, New Jack claimed that he had intentionally thrown Grimes too hard in the hopes that he would hit the ring post and for Grimes to be injured or killed, but under further evaluation Grimes can be seen noticeably pushing off the scaffold with his foot which is one of the main factors leading to the botch. Also in the interview, he said that the Living Dangerously accident was his own fault for prematurely pulling Grimes down from the scaffold. Jack has said that Grimes had been going around telling the locker room that he hurt New Jack, until Jack replied by saying "I hurt me."

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 2, 2011

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

With it being known that there were early Pancrase fights that were worked, were there any fights in Pride that were works or suspected of being as such?

While I see dives are discussed above, I mean were there any fights where both parties knew in advance who was coming out on top? I'd be kinda surprised if CroCop knew guys were throwing fights for him.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 8, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is the gaudiest/best belt in combat sportz

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Oct 28, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bluedeanie posted:

Have there been any notable suicides in MMA? The Jovan Belcher story has got a lot of people talking about the correlation between traumatic brain injury and mental health again, (I don't follow football so I don't know many specifics on that argument in relation to the NFL, but it made me think about my favorite sport in which people punch-kick one another's heads a lot.)

prolly anyone who invested in wamma

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

man that op is mad out of date.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

im now a licensed mma/boxing judge in the grand state of mississippi, how do i be better than adalaide byrd?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

John Cena posted:

im now a licensed mma/boxing judge in the grand state of mississippi, how do i be better than adalaide byrd?

this is for real btw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Watch a lot of fights would be my suggestion. Also get a cursory knowledge of bjj if you don't already.

i have limited jits knowledge, where can i expand it

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i know the positionings and what the purpose of each one is, and i have a general strong understanding of the ground game, ie what techniques are used from an offensive standpoint and defensive. i have the basics understood, but if theres more that i should know about i'd be happy to know as much as possible

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i don't really have the money to take BJJ, but if i do wind up getting to judge some fights, i'll be sure to promote the shows in the b-league thread.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i applied and paid for the license this morning, got an email later in the day saying that i've been approved and will be receiving my notarized license in the mail.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lmao im a dork

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yuriy posted:

FRB has been more accurate than not lately sry you're wrong or w/e
i swear you claim this every week and yet it gets only less and less true

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Yuriy posted:

its been like 20 days guy, let it go

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherdog posted:

Last time I cut weight I did absolutely nothing until two days before. Two days before, I stopped eating carbs and started drinking two gallons of water per day. The day of, I got up at 8am, went to the gym and worked out for an hour and a half (thus sweating a great deal), ate nothing and drank only 16 ounces of green tea over the course of the day, and then weighed in at 7pm at 187. Then I went home and ate two bagels and two boxes of mac and cheese and three bags of reese pieces and a gallon of pedialyte, went to bed, got up in the morning and had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and rocked up to the tournament at around 202.

what was it like when you went to take a poo poo after

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

what is everyone's favorite outdated piece of information from the op of this thread

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

is chael's loss to anderson still the biggest choke a fighter had going into the end of the fight, ie they were ahead on scorecards and got finished in humiliating fashion

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Memento posted:

Why do they still use a ring for Japanese MMA? Just tradition?

mma was originally seen as a pro wrestling offshoot there and i guess they never really felt any need or notion to switch to a cage. pancrase was in a ring, rings was in a ring, uwfi was in a ring, pride (never die) was in a ring.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

would any current world ranked 145ers lose to a 'prime' royce gracie?

ryan hall is my personal barometer for eh kinda good 145er and im pretty sure he would have annihilated 1993 royce

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

has anyone ever won a fight with a big ol wind up punch?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

coward

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

nobody was exempt from inokiism, not even jushin liger who was booked in a shoot fight against minoru suzuki, and you can visibly see it on both mens faces they don't want to do this fight. liger suspiciously gives up his neck as soon as possible but you cant blame him

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

i thought the takeover thunderdome was done better than the main roster thunderdome lol

doesn't touch oildome

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Why do people hate Don King? I'm not saying there aren't a million reasons, I just legit don't know. He's been the subject of parody and scorn since Rocky V all the way back in 1990 but apparently he was still working with Tyson and stuff well after that. So if he was a crook and everybody knew it, why were they hiring him so he could rip them off?

oh boy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3388320

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

those rankings in the op are something else

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ulio posted:

Long time MMA watcher but I haven't followed the streamer boxing fights. I was wondering how come the betting odds have Nate Diaz as an underdog vs Jake Paul? Anyone actually watched him and is he legit? It looks like he only fought Anderson Silva who was a striker but he is a muay thai guy and was 47, while Nate diaz has some boxing background and is much younger.

jake is not only younger and bigger but hes been training professionally as a boxer much more often and consistently and nate diaz has been more or less washed up as a fighter for some years now. nate winning would be an enormous upset.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

i was always under the assumption jakes fights were worked does he actually legit fight

his fights are legitimate.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ulio posted:

Interesting thanks. So is a huge favorite or is it more like 60-40 for Jake?

pretty drat strong favorite i would think.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Andy got old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

time for a name change