Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

KungFu Grip posted:

Did anyone ever expect anything from Kimbo besides a sideshow of failure?

Well I think making lots of money was expected, and that pretty much happened. But in terms of actual significance in the sport no, nobody ever expected anything of him. He is notable for how terrible his fight with Houston Alexander was, and for this:

And for apparently being awesome at barbecue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.

The_Rob posted:

What's happening here?

Two man gas out (they're both exhausted and double over as soon as the round is over).

edit: poo poo.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

No that's a pretty solid rundown of what you should generally expect to see grappling-wise in a fight. Just like anything else, however, there is an enormous amount of detail that you don't always notice or appreciate and some of those things help make otherwise boring man-hugging on the ground into something interesting.

For example, the guillotine you're talking about is pretty effective but there are ways to defend it fairly reliably so people (Marcelo Garcia in particular I think) have been working on variations to take those defenses away. So for some the guillotine is moving away from the fall back to your back and crank with all your built up hate version (edit: that isn't a good guillotine anyway) to a choke where you work from your side and throw the elbow of your non-choking arm over the shoulder of your opponent, as seen being used by C.B. Dollaway of all people:

So basically my two points are that there are a lot of small details in good grappling like in good striking that make it really cool to watch and that I love that guillotine.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Is there a story behind how all the blue tinted white background fighter avatars came to be?

Yeah they're taken from this poster:

That's a lineup of most of the big important people from the old Japanese fighting promotion Pride. A lot of us were fond of the fighters on the poster so we figured we'd take them and use them as avatars. I'm Paulo "It's Not Rape if You Do It To Yourself" Filho.