Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

A Pale Horse posted:

This is literally the best thing Kimbo has done in fight sports.

I still posit that the 3+ minutes of circling before that gif occurred are the best thing he has ever done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
This really is a badass OP. RobBorer, you have outdone that time you posted about that thing that was memorable which I have now forgotten.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

projecthalaxy posted:

I have watched Ikuhisa Minowa's fights with Butterbean and Sokoudjou. What are some other great Minowa fights, preferably of the he-kills-a-huge-dude variety?

first off, no one calls him that.

But you're on the right track.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

A Pale Horse posted:

No not really. I mean I don't know how Cruz's jits looks like, but pretty much everyone else is strong in at least 2 if not all 3 disciplines.

Pat Barry crosspost

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Vitor is 2-0 at Middlweight, and did just beat the second best Middleweight of all time, even if it was at catch weight.

he hasn't fought Anderson yet

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

henkman posted:

Isn't that tiny black man who hates MMA a champion of something?

Bob Sapp is hardly "tiny"

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

this is a necessity

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

jeffersonlives posted:

It's not cut and dry that guys are cut after two losses. Some guys have been cut after just one

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

MassRayPer posted:

Has the Internet Top Team logo been modified to resemble mobn yet? If not, why not?

art's supposed to have negative space

(I'm sorry mobn)

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Rules are already not uniform across promotions.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

1st AD posted:

The Paul Daley thing wasn't really close. Daley struck Koscheck after the bell and Dan Miragliotta immediately pulled him off, shouting "Are you serious, man?"

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Are there pride DVD (or blu ray) box sets available that show the complete events as aired? I was going to purchase the ones distributed by the UFC but apparently they dont show any of the walkouts and cut out any camera shots of the commentators.

I think the bushido dvds are all the broadcast in its entirety but I could be wrong.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

fatherdog posted:

A) Iole is full of poo poo, all of those were legal although some of them required you to pay part of your purse afterwards

B) Gordeau eye-gouged Royce anyway, which is why Royce held onto the choke long after he tapped.

hahahaha the first point is like a video game

everytime joe son punched a dick a big golden "-100" appeared in the air

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

abortionfailure posted:

:raise: You sure you don't mean keith hackney? iirc, hackney was the package punching prophet in that fight.

loving hell i'm dumb sometimes.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
fwiw, they teach the AMERICAN MILITARY™ to bend one leg and put the foot on the ground so you can spring up, and put the same side hand on the ground behind you so you can scoot.

this is probably dumb for anything but immediately regaining your feet, though.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Manto rashguards are pretty much the best investment you can make into BJJ gear and are well worth the price

no one asked, this is just an indisputable fact

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

BlindSite posted:

link for purchase? I like my hayabusa one but I'm looking to get a new short sleeve after my last one tore.

http://www.mantofight.com/

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

I think I know what you mean. White and red muscle fibres? One's explosive the other's for endurance.

On another thing, is there any reason the .gif and jpeg threads lapsed? Recent UFC events have had a lot of cool gif worthy moments.

The .gif thread started in SAS (I don't know about the jpeg thread) and, while it was there, fell off the first page really quickly; it was probably significantly far back when it was moved to PSP.

Save Russian Jews fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Oct 10, 2011

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

The old ones got archived. Would there be any opposition to starting a new one? Either one of each or two separate ones?

No mma poster here is going to be sad with another mma thread that isn't just an unbelievably terrible idea.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Snowman_McK posted:

Ah, I figured that would be it, or something similarly dumb. Thanks.
On a similar topic, you are allowed to kick/knee the body, right? Why do so few do it? The only ones that spring to mind (and remember, I'm someone who saw Jones fight twice and then forgot about it) are GSP/Serra and, very briefly, Daley/Diaz (though it was only one kick)

Kongo/Buentello ended via rear end knees iirc

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
has that ever been proven or is that just a thing joe rogan thinks

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
i remember i was drunk at a boardwalk once and had just seen ong bak so i dropped a wicked sick 12-6 elbow on this strength test game and got like 1/4 of the way up now my arm tingles when I throw things full force

edit: doctors make everything unfun, e.g. bjs, drugs

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tickle Me Chelmno posted:

Not just that, it gives wrestlers an unfair advantage. Also Heath Herring tore his own knee apart throwing a kick in wrestling shoes.

both of these things are positives...?

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

I can't stop hitting 6

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bundt Cake posted:

I'd have to actually research this more because the retardation of the California and Nevada state athletic commission is all together as one in my memory but Zach Arnold is a good source for this stuff and he beat this poo poo out of Kizer last week http://www.fightopinion.com/2011/12/14/keith-kizer-urine-blood-testing/

"urine, a thing composed of non-proteins (which steroids frequently bind to) filtered from the blood and mixed with foreign liquids, is better to test than unfiltered blood" - a man whose job it is to do this poo poo

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I mean I guess you could test positive for HGH if you injected it directly into your jag hole right before you took the test or something?

or have they started using that experimental, not-approved HGH urine test?

god I hate keith kizer

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Hey, for like 3 years I've been trying to start making a (not super-serious and lame) MMAth program that takes statistics such as submission %/#, ko %/#, decisions, etc. and builds a profile for each fighter. I may/may not use this as a Comp Sci project at some point.

Anyway, I'm wondering if I would possibly have enough people to fill a thread for a bit. I mean, even if you're not willing to help out with the original algorithm design, database design (probably a single text file will do for this, but I'm open to ideas), or program functionality, I'm sure you can argue with people about facets of the program.

Since it's pretty general I figured I'd throw it in here.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

moww posted:

I'd contribute to your thread. I've actually been wanting to do something very similar for a while now, possibly involving making a program to crawl sherdog or wikipedia to gather data.

I was thinking it could just be a general MMAth thread, like a repository for crazy stat-poo poo (I'd honestly love to have whatever access dokmo has to fight info) and those sometimes-cool, sometimes-not who-beat-who flowcharts.

I guess I could just throw a post in after the OP that contains vital info to the program/database and keep the thread dedicated to stats and such, or I could just make a thread for the program creation and design.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I wasn't clear, but I know Java/C# and am almost done with a CS degree-- the issue is that, without some sort of web scraper, like Xguard said, almost all of the data will have to be entered by hand (well, that and we will never fully agree on algorithms, but the fact that dozens of people can potentially argue about and have input on the algorithm will put it at a very high level).

However, I can autonomate a lot of the tedium from the input/editing of the database with a gui for adding, modifying, and displaying entries in the DB file (which can probably just be a delimited .txt file). If we have a set amount of people working correctly with such a program, entering x people's records into the program, I can then combine the files they create (I vaguely remember a text program that lets you merge files like this) and work it out.

It'd probably be best to start with something small and visibly discrete like the UFC HW division before we move onto some all-encompassing score-jizzer for the entirety of MMA.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

proof of concept posted:

If you're doing this as a hobby/project that's cool, but if you're committed enough to spend money on data entry you might as well just buy a subscription to fightmetric's statistics database since they do the official stats for the UFC. They also have an api you can subscribe to if you want to throw up their stats on your web page without too much extra legwork spent on presentation. They keep their pricing for both opaque though so I imagine it could get expensive depending on your ability to negotiate with people like that.

That's definitely something to look into after a proof of concept actually gets hammered out. Thanks, man.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

dokmo posted:

I still don't know much about MMA but I do have lots of experience with sports math. I would be happy to contribute.

you're my hero, dok mo

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Grifter posted:

I still have a file that dokmo provided access to years ago, it basically has fighters, event names, rounds, and win methods. It's somewhat inconsistent but consistent enough that you can pull data from it fairly easily. The problem is that while it starts at UFC 1, it only goes up to 2009. I could copy it into google docs if you don't have it already.

I'd like to take a look at it, at least. Sorry for falling off the face of the earth, my school does half-semesters so right now I'm in the middle of midterms week.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

david carmichael posted:

Yeah, exactly. This is how powerful models are developed. By committee.

it's an algorithm to evaluate an opinion: "who is the better fighter?" or even something like "does _____ have a lovely ground game?"

it's not some sorting algorithm that you can just sit in a dark room and autism about until one day you emerge with a stone tablet that simply says "Shannon Ritch"

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

He also said that the fight before that last one, his medical bills ended up being higher than what he was paid. So he was not fighting in protest.

I think this turned out to be bullshit

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I need a Chael Sonnen picture with a text caption of "NEVER GIVE UP" that would look good on a T-shirt because well...

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was gonna go with the sadnnen picture, to be honest

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
hahahahahaa holy poo poo

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is that still up on wikipedia like that? Because I edited it like, years ago.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Watch your tongue. On the whole, pro wrestlers and their families have a decent k/d ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Korean martial arts are like 60 years old. I'm pretty sure angry little Thai dudes have been front kicking each others knees since the 1800s.

화랑 were like 11th century at the latest.