Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gimpsuitjones posted:

look I don't get the whole prowrestling "thing" can someone explain it to me

It's soap opera for boys, with groin pulls and concussions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have a dumb fight terminology question-- I see the term "arm punch" used a little bit. It seems to be a disparaging term.

I am guessing it is like the difference between throwing a ball with just your arm or throwing with proper rotation of shoulders, hips and shifting weight and so forth. Is that about right?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Thank you!

That's really pretty good howling. I wonder if he practiced from a tape.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

what's always confused me about roidtech is that Coleman and Randleman are awesome wrestlers but somehow look so bad on the ground, worse than HS wrestlers on their first day of bjj.

I always thought they had maybe already trained hard and were just loving around.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

One of the many crazy things about those initial UFCs was how if a dude got injured they just plugged a fresh dude in there.

Say what you want about Royce but I still have fond memories of going nuts watching that poo poo on VHS.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I didn't know that about 11.

I meant crazy like that seems really unfair and stupid.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Oh interesting. Glad they stopped with one night tournaments, but also glad to have seen them.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Fred Ettish was straight haunted by that fight.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fatherdog posted:

Foreman/Frazier is also notable because, although there are obviously many times in history where an undisputed, undefeated champion gets defeated, there aren't all that many where they get absolutely loving murdered.

Goddamn. I don't know anything about boxing but someone has to throw in the towel or something.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

For the love of all that is good and decent do not watch that fight.

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that's water.

Gregor Samsa posted:

2. Even at fifty-fat years old, Holmes's jab looks extremely unpleasant.

He landed some pretty stiff ones!

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Are you making the assumption that guy knew where he was and what he was doing? Maybe not.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

RIP Randle man

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lXAGZtMxU8

I'm sure I first saw this here so thank you whomever.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Chillanese posted:

Someone important said they're working on new football helmets that let you get brutally hosed up with almost no brain damage.

It's impossible to take the sting out of the soft brain hitting hard skull on big collisions. There's nothing you can put on the outside of the head to mitigate that.

edit: I would love to be wrong

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Which sort of indicates the question is about concussion rates

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Remember Nik Denis? He retired citing research that the accumulation of smaller hits over a career may be worse than the big hard ones. Though that would be consistent with football being really really bad for you.

Some say the head need not be struck to yield concussion either.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

drat. That Rockhold spinning poo poo is a sick KO.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I never noticed the polite hammerfist to demonstrate that Duffee was out cold.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

That's the best thing I've ever seen. I love how the hat flies off.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

SquirrelGrip posted:

TKZ popped his shoulder vs aldo

That was gnarly

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Or if you're Derrick Lewis just stand up

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I just watched McGregor Holloway and Max got absolutely tuned up before he got taken down by Irish wrestling. Did one of them suffer a grotesque knee injury?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

What's the regular career length for an MMA fighter? 5 years of active competition?

I feel like you'd have to put a bunch of qualifiers on there to come up with an answer that would have a pretty wide range.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Do big, bushy beards make it harder to target the chin?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure very slightly, but not in a that would make me wonder if it would change the outcome of a fight.
If you can see their mouth, you'll be as well equipped as you need to be to land to the head. Sure, landing right on the jaw could rock them more in one shot, but I don't think most fighters have that in mind tactically -- getting the jaw vs somewhere on the face.

Thanks! That's something I've wondered about for a long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Where did the new sub forum name come from? Who is this Jase?

A winner.