Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

This might be a dumb question, but if Overeem and Fedor are in the same fed, and Overeem is the champ, why is Fedor ranked higher?

Because MMA rankings are completely subjective and sometimes maybe even many times aren't supported by reality. If two guys haven't fought each other its hard to say who is better. Fedor coasted for a long time on his unbeaten russian cyborg routine, which was mostly smoke and mirrors combining a long list of hand picked opponents and shameless hype by his russian mob handlers. Not saying that Fedor is terrible, clearly he's not, he's beaten some of the greats, but that was 5 years ago in PRIDE. Since then he's coasted on his reputation and fighting not very good opponents and sometimes looking overwhelming against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

ForbiddenWonder posted:

RE: Vale Tudo

I never hear ya'll talk about it, like at all. Are there any must-watch matches or anything like that?

Well MMA grew out of Vale Tudo in some ways. It was big in the early 90s but I don't think there's any real orgs putting on Vale Tudo fights any more. Maybe some back alley Brazilian poo poo, but for all intents and purposes Vale Tudo is dead.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah, basically the only belts that mean anything are the UFC belts.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

Did anyone ever expect anything from Kimbo besides a sideshow of failure?

Not anyone who knows anything about fighting.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Giovanni Qobras posted:

Coincidentally these people aren't where the money comes from, so freakshows have a proud history in all combat sports

As well they should. You know me, I love a good freakshow fight. PUDZIAN POWER!

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Grab Your Foot! posted:

Well I think making lots of money was expected, and that pretty much happened. But in terms of actual significance in the sport no, nobody ever expected anything of him. He is notable for how terrible his fight with Houston Alexander was, and for this:

And for apparently being awesome at barbecue.

This is literally the best thing Kimbo has done in fight sports.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Giovanni Qobras posted:

Just wait until he gets the poo poo slapped out of him by that wacky sumo dude that Sapp chickened out of fighting

can't wait :twisted:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

henkman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSoIwONE5aw

(don't watch his fight with Tim Sylvia)

Not pictured: the 10 minutes he spent laying on top of Kawaguchi gasping for air and occasionally throwing the tiniest hammer fists.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Boregasm posted:

Watch Pudz vs Tim Sylvia if you wish to see a man turn a bright shade of purple.

Don't do this, it was a horrible fight and will make you hate MMA, Tim Sylvia and Mariusz. Only one of those is okay to hate.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The_Rob posted:

What's happening here?

Two men gas out.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

projecthalaxy posted:

Are there any real single-style guys left in high-level MMA? I guess Roger Gracie might count, but even he seems to be succumbing to wrestleboxing.

Also, is the oil check the gayest technique in Our Gay Sport?

No not really. I mean I don't know how Cruz's jits looks like, but pretty much everyone else is strong in at least 2 if not all 3 disciplines.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I see from the wikipedia link in the OP that they were the ones that were basically building around Kimbo and he got knocked out by that guy with the pink hair and then the scandal surrounding the rest of it. I think I remember seeing a video of that around the time it happened and remembered Kimbo being the guy from the backyard fight videos. It was pretty shocking to someone like me who didn't know the ins and outs of MMA and how terrible of a fighter Kimbo would be once put up against trained athletes. After how high Kimbo was hyped it seemed pretty crazy.

EliteXC was the epitome of stupid, corrupt, shady organizations. Run by a thief and his mentally retarded painfully white rapper son they basically exploited Kimbo, trying to build their org on his youtube popularity. They fed him a couple of cans and then due to unforeseen circumstances (someone dropped out of a fight, I wanna say Ken Shamrock) they had to put him in against a real fighter who promptly embarassed this poo poo out of him and killed EliteXC. Something we should all be grateful to Seth Petruzzeli for.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Save Russian Jews posted:

Pat Barry crosspost

He said high level MMA. I love Pat, but he's not high level by any stretch.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

mobn posted:

This is mandatory viewing for everybody. Watch it in HD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAAgt6mGXIY

Yeah, this is an absolute pro-click right here. Saku :unsmith:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Incendiary Pig posted:

I didn't see it in the OP, maybe I missed it. On the list of fights to watch, do you think Griffin/Bonnar 1 should be on there? It's incredibly entertaining, made Forrest Griffin the winner of the first season of the Ultimate Fighter, and (correct me if I'm wrong) the fans voted it the best UFC fight of all time.

Yeah, that fight definitely deserves to be on there, its an outdated slopfest by today's standards but it is literally the fight that saved American MMA and is still pretty entertaining.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

The other thing you should know about Anderson Silva is that he occasionally has The Most Terrible Fights. Anderson is a brilliant counter puncher, but if someone doesn't try to aggressively engage him he tends to dance, do capoeira moves and punch people in their knees instead of really attacking. This led to 2 title defenses that were called disgraceful by Dana White, a man who's shamelessness when it comes to UFC promotion normally knows no bounds. A lot of people hate him because of those 2 title defenses and want nothing more than to see him lose and go away.

He's the most successful fighter in UFC history going a perfect 12-0 since he joined the org in 2006, with 8 of those wins coming in title fights.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Beeswax posted:

So is there anyone who has a legitimate argument for using the ten point must system, apart from "b..but boxing!"

and as a follow up: is there anyone _in boxing_ who has a legitimate argument for using the ten point must system?

I think the decision to use the well known 10 point must system was probably twofold, first its a system judges are familiar with in theroy (even if they don't know how to apply it to MMA) and two, because its been used in boxing for so long it lends a certain air of legitimacy to MMA which was much more important in the past when MMA was still regarded as human cock fighting or whatnot.

The problem with the 10 point must system in MMA is that there are more aspects to the game to take into account. In addition to striking, wrestling, ground position you have things like "aggression" and "octagon control" which are completely subjective measures and actually tends to work against good counter strikers who tend to back up to draw their opponents in. So if not much happens in a round and its pretty even, the guy moving forward more will tend to be awarded the round (octagon control), despite the fact that the other fighter may want to be drawing him forward to set him up for a counter.

The other issue is that MMA judges are mostly boxing judges and while some of them have managed to develop an understanding of the ground game, you'll still get judges (especially outside of the major commissions like NSAC and CSAC) who just don't know what they're seeing which is why you get guys who spent a large amount of time in top position in a round winning 90% of the time even if their opponent on the bottom is much more active/aggressive.

All that said there really are no viable alternatives right now. Open judging which is used in Japan and sometimes Europe comes with its own set of problems, and the retarded dewey decimel system that they're trying out in Cali right now doesn't really address the problems of the 10 point system while making it needlessly more complicated.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Compare and contrast to the "ring generalship" and "effective aggressiveness" criteria in boxing.

I don't follow boxing so I didn't know they use those criteria too :ohdear:

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Saw this posted in the gif thread:

And it made me wonder - Crocop is obviously knocked out when he goes down (complete with arms completely spread apart not guarding himself at all) and his opponent continues throwing punches to the face anyway while the official pulls him off - is this a common thing where the guy gets caught up in the moment with the adrenaline or do guys do that on purpose? Seems like a trained fighter would know right away when a guy is legit knocked out so its always seemed weird to me that they get a few shots in before being pulled off anyway.

The general rule is go until the ref stops it. Sometimes if its a clean one shot knockout the guy won't follow it up, but its not officially over until the ref waves it off, so you'll occasionally see fighters beating their completely unconscious opponents for a few extra seconds "just to make sure".

edit: same goes with submissions. You don't release the hold until the ref waves off the fight, not when you feel your opponent tapping out. This is why having good refs is extremely important in MMA, even more so than in other combat sports.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I think Jones has the longest reach currently, longer even that 6'11" Stefan Struve.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

After watching a few more fights that have been posted here and there I've noticed a ton of leg kicks and guys kicking each other in the knees and whatnot - is there some sort of way to toughen your legs up so that your bones don't snap in half when walloping someones knees with your own unprotected leg?

It seems as if those kicks to the leg that don't hit the meaty parts hurt you nearly as much as your opponent. I'm shocked that more guys don't end up with broken legs in the middle of a fight. Again, this is most likely a stupid question but do they 'toughen' their legs somehow through repeated strikes in training or something?

Its not a dumb question at all. Bone tissue, contrary to common knowledge is continually resorbed and replaced by the body in a process known as remodeling. This occurs naturally throughout your life, but because the body is responsive and adaptive, remodeling doesn't necessarily replace exactly what was resorbed. Added stress, trauma and other factors can cause either more or less new bone remodeling in a specific part of the body. People who kick a lot, naturally do a lot of damage to those bones, microfractures and the like. Over time, remodeling in those areas is increased causing increased bone tissue density in those areas, making them less susceptible to damage.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Are training breaks and fractures common when doing conditioning like this? You always hear about guys being pulled out of fights from a 'training injury' and I've always wondered if there were more common ones that happen in training.

That I can't tell you, I've never trained kicking so I have no personal experience. However I doubt it. Injuries in training are usually muscle pulls/tears and tendon damage as far as I'm aware.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Gomi Pile posted:

why not just have a draw when there's a draw.

Because that's the most unsatisfying ending to a fight imaginable short of a No Contest (and even those can be more satisfying if they involve ball smashing of one manner or another). Didn't even the NHL do away with ties some while back?

I like the idea of extension rounds though. Maybe up to 2 3 minute extensions if necessary. Of course it will never happen and judging will continue to be atrocious, but a man can dream.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah coming out in professional sports is generally not done until after your career is over, and I think it would be a lot worse for MMA fighters just because there's so much man hugging and Jesus loving going on in the sport to begin with, not to mention the "average fan" demographic which is basically rednecks and meatheads, groups not really known for their accepting natures. I remember a rumor floating around a while back (I think Tito was the one who twittered it) about a well known fighter being gay but it was vague and there was no follow up so it could have all been bullshit or it could have been covered up not to ruin the guy's career.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Probably because its true.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Since y'all are still arguing about the union poo poo, here's an article from MMA Junkie about it.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/22848/ask-the-cage-counsel-is-ufc-strikeforce-a-monopoly-could-a-fighters-union-follow.mma

tl:dr

30% of a company's employees need to sign on to propose the formation of a union.
50% +1 of a company's employees need to vote in favor of unionization for a union to be formed.
UFC fighters are not Zuffa employees, they're independent contractors.
UFC is not a monopoly, which has no bearing on unionization anyway.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Grifter posted:

Can someone talk in depth about takedowns? Different types, how to tell a good one form a bad one, maybe some gifs of "here's a good one" vs. "here's a bad one".

Good ones: done by American wrestlers
Bad ones: done by the rest of the world, especially Europeans.

:smugdog:

I'm not knowledgeable enough about wrestling to contribute, but I wanted to be snide, so there.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Pneub posted:

Andy and Wandy sounds like an adorable kids show.

Andy can teach kids to dance and Wandy can teach them to count (through punching). Make it happen PBS.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Sue Denim posted:

How common are concussions in MMA?

Well any loss of consciousness due to trauma to the head is by definition a concussion so pretty drat common.

edit; hell according to some classifications you don't even need to have lost consciousness to be considered concussed, just confusion or degradation of motor skills. So any time you see a guy "rocked", that's a concussion.

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007