Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Memento posted:

Which fight best shows off Vitor Belfort in all of his pure-horsemeat special-sauce glory?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oG-rml3saNg&t=228s
Vitor vs Wanderlei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i went to a bjj class and during the course of it we were practicing the rear naked choke (it was a beginners class cause im a beginner), but the guy i was partnered up with couldn't get it to actually work on me.

both me, the guy, and the instructor assume hes doing something wrong so the instructor corrects his technique and it still doesnt work on me, it just makes me cough.

so the instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, it just makes me cough. the other instructor tries it on me. it doesnt work, i just cough.

at this point i am really curious because the rear naked choke had been kind of built up as an 'oh poo poo game over' type of deal, and in the spirit of scientific inquiry i ended up having five different people try and get it to work on me. every time the pressure of their forearm bone just ended up on my windpipe and on my neck muscle but not on my artery. nobody had ever seen anyone it didn't work on.

my guess after some discussion is that because i have a condition called EDS where my tendons are basically lovely, my muscles do a lot more work than the average persons, so my postural neck muscles are overdeveloped in a weird way. combined with being a tall guy with a thick neck i think my arteries are basically kind of recessed in a divot between my neck muscles and windpipe.

im pretty sure it would work on me if someone didnt care about injuring me, they would just have to compress my neck enough to get the arteries. as it is ive got a pretty sore throat lmao.

idk if anyone else has ever heard of this, it could be a common thing that it just happened nobody i knew had heard of.

but it was good fun feeling like a superhero for a little while
Sorry for the month late reply, but we had a one similar person years ago at my gym. A slightly built young Indian guy who was unchokable through RNC even by some of the best grapplers in the world. Although we never had a clear explanation, we assumed that he just had some very rare anatomical variation that protected his carotids within the neck and made then impossible to compress sufficiently with lateral pressure. It's very very rare. So rare that in decades at one of the largest and best known BJJ gyms in the world we have only had one person like that out of literally thousands of people who have passed through the doors. It's not a super big advantage because if people know that they'll just use a short choke and compress the trachea.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 6, 2022