Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
What's so tragic about it is Teddy Atlas already, even at that time, had a long background mentoring and guiding troubled kids, that's the kind of gym and boarding house Cus supposedly ran, but in the special case of Tyson he just couldn't or wouldn't follow his own rules.

If Cus and Atlas had treated Tyson differently he might have ended up a much healthier person, but he might also have just been one more troubled kid that did some boxing at a rec center.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah as was said the Lion's Den was one of the first two produce truly complete fighters. When that first generation of Lion's Den fighters made their debut, in like UFC 15 or whatever, there was suddenly, immediately, a divide between early and modern MMA.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sylvia then reneged and opened the fight with a low kick which disappointed Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUx9OE7DZAo

May I never disappoint this man.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's so up in the air. One of my coaches is a local pro MMA fighters who is getting older and older (for a pro fighter) and the question of giving up on pro fights is met with "I know I should, but...". Like, in terms of when the arc of his career, its possibilities, narrowed down into a forgone conclusion is a relatively short period of time, but when is he actually going to stop fighting? Who knows, probably years later than he should.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Whereas Wladimir Klitschko, a huge and powerful heavyweight boxer with a conservative fighting style, was a champ for, gosh, like 15 years?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is it considered a myth that having big neck and shoulder muscles can help a little?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is there a website for long form journalism on combat sports? Not articles on who won the recent fight, but deep dives on fighter biographies, gym drama, etc etc. Like, a breakdown of what went wrong in Rhonda Rousey's training and career would be an example of what I'm looking for.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
FWIW I'm noticeably hard to choke with anything that requires my own shoulder, so various kinds of triangles. But it's not "impossible", you just have to get it a bit better set. My black belt instructor essentially said it was to an unusual degree but no great mystery, I just have very narrow shoulders and a thin neck, so there's just more space there that has to be removed compared to big dudes.

(Triangle choke big dudes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah regarding striking I basically fell out of love with it as I got older because I set the personal rule of "if sparring gives me a headache it's too hard" and I've found that I really can't keep my skills up that way; any time I dip back into sparring I don't have any sense of timing or range.