Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Critical posted:

Hahaha holy poo poo.

Thanks for the OP, MMA crew. I follow it very casually. I do request that Bisping getting punished for running his mouth .gif be posted at earliest convenience. Probably the most brutal thing I've ever seen outside of Hollywood or videogames.

Nobody did this yet? :drat:

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

kimbo305 posted:

After the knockdown, Hendo brings his hand up for a second. While he doesn't actually do so, it's important that you believe that he kisses his fist before doing the diving punch.

He does it. :colbert: He does it indeed :911:. Don't listen to that dude. The BRH is the spirit of America.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Solice Kirsk posted:

I'd say British people minus Hathaway are pretty one dimensional still.

Other than British people in the UFC and non-country-descript B-C-and-D Leaguers, they're pretty well rounded all in all. Everyone has their base whether it be BJJ, folkstyle/greco/freestyle wrestling, Karate, Judo, boxing, etc, most people in MMA mix it up to an extent to try an maximize their strengths.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

What is the deal with New York?

If we land a proper venue there, Gourd of Taste will eat a hat.

Pretty much what Jefferson said. Reilly is making it his life's mission to not have "human dog fighting" in his state. That said, it will happen in our lifetime. Mainly because we'll outlive Reilly and Silver. Then we can watch Gourd eat a hat, hopefully.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

fatherdog posted:

Once a year is a lot more common in Strikeforce

Less if you count Siyar Bahadurzada :smith:.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

He knocked Evan Tanner out with a slam. I remember that being the event he wore a really arrogant shirt (maybe an anti-Lion's Den shirt) while giving a post match interview about what a great, humble guy he is and all of his charity work. I remember flipping off the Lion's Den (and corresponding shirt) occurring at a different event, maybe the Mezger fight.

"Gay Metzger is my Bitch" shirt, then he broke out the middle fingers and Ken was scrambling to get over the cage. He was in Metzger's corner.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Thanks for the flip response to a general issue, I guess? I've known guys who couldn't accept an amateur fight out of state because they couldn't get a ride.

A Cagepotato.com poster asked for bus fair to get out to TUF tryouts a week or so ago. And the internet provided. It should set a precedent for PSP guys. mobn, willie_dee, and those who come after you: If you'll fight on tape and post it for the internet's amusement, we'll chip in.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Ogantai posted:

Australian cards are live, not tape delayed.

Correct. The "Free PPVs" are generally held in Europe. Irish/U.K. cards and the German one are the only "free ppvs" that come to mind here in the U.S. Oh, and the U.A.E. card was free maybe?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Paul Pot posted:

The last TUF reminded me to ask a thing: How come when two equally weak/mediocre wrestlers fight and one has double underhooks against the cage we hardly ever see bear hug takedowns...Fitch pulls this off a lot and he's not an elite wrestler.

Because with a bearhug, you generally have to lower your body to lift the dude. This would leave your face open for a couple short elbows or your neck for a guillotine while the guy squats against the cage. The other option is a drop or a trip, and that can leave you out of position if you fail to end up top. Easier to just pin him against the cage and knee him in the leg or butt him with your shoulder or something.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

attackmole posted:

Someone post the .gif. of Carwin beating Mir's lifeless corpse as Dan watches.

poo poo, Big Dan's not in that one.

and the long form too big to embed which is way uglier.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

LIKE TEN DICKS posted:

that was yves lavigne with a relatively uncharacteristic gently caress up that had hilarious consequences and was appreciated greatly, by me

i think it was the brown/sell fight that yves lavigne hosed up really really badly where "the immortal" had to tell him that continuing was FUBAR.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

No unfortunately that's not it fawker. It's a lot cleaner slipping the other guys fists never come near Tyson's face. From my recollection Tyson was to the right of the frame and he floors the guy with a left hook.

Maybe in this video? Not seeing what you described, but is is a "my defense is impregnable" montage. Good video either way.

32 seconds in maybe? Drops a guy with a left hook to the body.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

chris leben? cheick kongo? mods?

:laffo:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Gomi Pile posted:

who is dukez and why should i free him

he's not free. he needs to be freed. read the electrical tape on white t-shirt, that's all you need to know

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Flying-Chip posted:

How long until Turkish oil wrestlers dominate the UFC? <insert GSP joke>

Shorts-grabbing is against the rules :(. One day, one day MMA will legitimize the long, proud, noble tradition of Turkish wrestling if we all wish hard enough!

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Q: Why did they kill wrestling :smith:

I'm sure you'll find wrestling a) can't be stopped; and b) won't be stopped. W.R.E.A.M. etc.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The Sphinxster posted:

I always thought they had maybe already trained hard and were just loving around.

No, Mark's porch (where they train) isn't a full size wrestling room, so they probably caught their breath getting there. I also noticed neither Coleman nor Randleman where wearing wrestling shoes on the mat. No street shoes, guys :rolleyes:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It was posted in the UFC PPV discussion thread after the weigh ins that some guys put on 15 or more pounds after weigh ins and it has me wondering - what (if anything) does all of this fairly drastic weight cutting and gain multiple times a year do to these fighters physically? I can't imagine it's good for the body but are there any cases where it was particularly harmful to one of them?

And is there a reason fighters cut drastically right before a fight and then gain the weight back instead of just staying at fight weight during training leading up to the fight? Are the few extra pounds they get from cutting then dehydrating really worth ending up in less than optimal condition the night before a fight? A lot of them look almost sickly thin during weigh ins.

poo poo can kill you. When I was in high school they banned plastic weight cutting apparel because a handful of high school and college wrestlers died. Luckily, UFC guys generally have a coaching team behind them who can help them not to die, and they only have to do it a few times a year. It always sucks, but 'rasslers have to do it all the time. The most I ever had to cut was 15 pounds in 24 hours as a district alternate as a freshman because the #2 seeded guy got hit in the head with a bowling ball. It was pretty lovely, but I didn't piss blood. But yeah, like ForbiddenWonder noted, it's super bad for your kidneys.

e: beaten by Kensei

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

LordPants posted:

Don't they do something now to combat that? Like have the weigh ins twice or closer to the event or something? Or am I completely making that up?

In the UFC? No, they weigh in a day before. In wrestling? Yeah. They weigh in a couple hours before a dual/meet. It's a lot easier in MMA to rehydrate/regain strength.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Max Awfuls posted:

Just add Don Frye to the mix.

Drunk-rear end Bas and even drunker Don were the best MMA team on the planet. Shark Fights never stop swimming (because you'd die).

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Baby Jay Penn was good. drat good for the time. Just my opinion

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

The always-funny Starnes/Quarry fight had a judge go 30-24. Franklin/Loisau two judges go 50-42.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Documentary by the same name is excellent as well if you were into that sort of thing too.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I dont know if it is still held, but when I lived in Iowa last, Humboldt, which is the home town of Frank gotch, held the world catch championships. This was in like 2017 so it isn't that far removed.

Coincidentally, I practiced in Humboldt sometimes for folkstyle wrestling

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

didnt olynik hit an Ezekiel choke from bottom mount?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

then yeah, definitely the beat way to escape mount

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Foul Fowl posted:

1996 mark coleman with headbutts would be world champion today

still undefeated at ikea

e: google isn't turning up anything but ikea news when I look up "mark Coleman ikea"

anyone have that story saved? i was hoping to read it for old times sake

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

yesssssss! thanks lobster! lmao I forgot it started so, so perfectly too

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah its sole flaw is that you can’t improve on the impersonating Wes sims joke so it’s technically downhill from there

the high note for me was "doing the whizzer to a BERTL" jumping right into the cop confusing him with the K1 rules. The whole thing is a goddamn symphony and i forgot the sims thing until he reminds you at the end and you go back to read it again. *kisses fingers*

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Here's a 44 minute doc-ish story about the brawl for all from the wwe. it was the first of that series I ever watched. It was nuts

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7t6731

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

He'd get wrecked by pretty much any amateur fighter let alone a professional one.

Here's a Chinese MMA fighter that was at best OK at MMA, but he's found a niche going around clowning every 'master' that says the same types of things you say in your post. He literally gets hosed with by the CCP because he shits all over their state martial arts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycu7dvHBzk0

that dude has some massive balls. holy poo poo

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

never has been and im sick of people pretending like it is or was as a jape

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

choking out a muscle shark is a lot more difficult than a human, tbf

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

buddy, you're already IN the wrestling (and other combat sports) subforum lol

and i bet anyone would be more than happy to answer your questions or give you a basic rundown of aew happenings (jeff jarrett and a mexican son of a viking) or whatever you'd like to know. pretty sure there's an aew discussion thread on this very page

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

iirc, prizefighting odds aren't necessarily a predictor on who is gonna win, it's a reflection on who is being bet on. the more people/money that bet on paul (or any favorite), the more enticing the odds will be for bettors on diaz (or any dog) because books genuinely want money bet on both fighters. the bigger the favorite, the less return on your bet. books basically want there to be as little risk to them as possible.

conor mcgregor's two most recent wins are against a now-retired cowboy cerrone and an NBA mascot. still, he's a betting favorite against michael chandler. do books think conor is gonna beat chandler? who knows, but they do know a bunch of mcgregor fans will put money on their boy, so in order to get to an even money proposition for them, chandler's gotta be the underdog. that said, favorite/dog betting favors the favorite 2 times out of 3 in UFC betting. poo poo just gets hinky when you've got a bunch of people flooding fan favorites like paul and mcgregor with bets

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

Buck Turgidson posted:

Hey in MMA is it against the rules to pick up your opponent by the feet and spin them around before throwing them like Mario throwing Bowser?

yes, so long as you don't grab them by their toes only. that'd be "small joint manipulation" and therefore illegal

also, if you're going to throw them, they have to have use of their hands to protect their head and neck and stuff if they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

the current science says that boxers still see more brain damage because they get hit in the head more than mma fighters, but it's a big "gotta keep observing" to learn more. also, a caveat: the study cited below is funded by the UFC, but the Cleveland Clinic is doing it, so they're probably not in the pocket of Big MMA

Las Vegas Review Journal story posted:

Researchers have looked at genetic and social factors that could increase risk, as well as at gender. Women are faring better in the study, and researchers will be publishing their findings on genetics, said Dr. Charles Bernick, the study’s founder and primary investigator.

The most significant risk factor, however, is exposure to head injury.

“In most everything we look at, the MMA fighters do better,” experiencing fewer changes in their brains and in cognitive tests, Bernick said. As for the boxers, “the usual explanation is they just get hit in the head more.”

The longer the brains of the athletes can be studied, the more meaningful the findings, which makes Las Vegas uniquely suited for the study, one researcher said.

“In terms of fighting sports, we have a lot of retired boxers, we have a lot of retired MMA folks, and it gives us a great setting and opportunity to do this study here,” said Dr. Aaron Ritter, the study’s co-primary investigator.

“We’re going to be able to follow patients going forward, after they’ve transitioned from being active to retired,” Ritter said.

UFC wants the study’s findings to become a “fundamental part of the regulation of combat sports,” Epstein said.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-las-vegas/mma-fighters-fare-better-than-boxers-in-brain-study-2244785/